Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone - Page 603

post #9031 of 14871
Quote:
 

Sorry I misunderstood you comment.   Solude like to give advice on other companies products even if he never heard them.. I cleaned my comments and apologize, I will find out the model for you as I was in the GTT audio room in NY in april for about 2 hrs listening to the Veloce gear with the  YG acoustics speakers and he was using the 6K dac. Not sure if it was a pro type but he said it was 6K . The problem with the dac only solutions you cant use sacd recordings and the Oppo does dad palyback where the USB dac are converting them to PCM. I listen mostly to sacd recordings in classical music and the Oppo plays them dsd.  My system is 100 percent disc based.


Edited by Frank I - 6/26/13 at 11:25am
post #9032 of 14871
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank I View Post

Sorry I misunderstood you comment.   Solude like to give advice on other companies products even if he never heard them.. I cleaned my comments and apologize, I will find out the model for you as I was in the GTT audio room in NY in april for about 2 hrs listening to the Veloce gear with the  YG acoustics speakers and he was using the 6K dac. Not sure if it was a pro type but he said it was 6K . The problem with the dac only solutions you cant use sacd recordings and the Oppo does dad palyback where the USB dac are converting them to PCM. I listen mostly to sacd recordings in classical music and the Oppo plays them dsd.  My system is 100 percent disc based.

PM's exchanged. Frank, please don't spend anytime researching the Veloce DAC.

post #9033 of 14871
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank I View Post

Solude like to give advice on other companies products even if he never heard them.

 

Esh having a bad day there Frank?  

 

This is not a research paper, I'm not forced to cite my sources and I'm certainly not forced to only use my ears when performing critical thinking.  I'm still not sure what you are mad about.  That the 2A3 with a solid state high freq AC heater for under $3K is a steal?  That the WA5 isn't some patent pending technical marvel?

 

Because I didn't comment on how either sounds. And ended my first post with...  I'm happy your enjoying it though.

 

 

So again, enjoy it.

post #9034 of 14871
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solude View Post

 

Esh having a bad day there Frank?  

 

This is not a research paper, I'm not forced to cite my sources and I'm certainly not forced to only use my ears when performing critical thinking.  I'm still not sure what you are mad about.  That the 2A3 with a solid state high freq AC heater for under $3K is a steal?  That the WA5 isn't some patent pending technical marvel?

 

Because I didn't comment on how either sounds. And ended my first post with...  I'm happy your enjoying it though.

 

 

So again, enjoy it.

Your commented on whats better and you still have heard or owned either.  I am not mad. I find you amusing. You hear nothing but quote on what better. I think it would make a good stand up comedy actL3000.gif

post #9035 of 14871

Jeez I don't blame Frank for getting a little cranky, it kinda ruins one's experience when people piss all over it for no reason other than thinly-disguised envy.

To me the WA5 is end-game all the way even without upgrades, so congrats Frank Ibeerchug.gif

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfnutz View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by preproman View Post

WOW Frank.  I may look into the Oppo.  So I can get some of that pure SACD experience.  Glad your liking that Combo..  Can't wait to read the review..

popcorn.gif

 

Careful with the Oppo. It's a great all around player for the price, but I wouldn't consider it high end by any means. Used as a transport only, it's terrible (comparing to my VRDS 25). Typical Saber ES9018 sound. Kind of expensive just for the SACD experience. I guess it would depend on how many SACD's you have.

 

Even my lowly BDP-83 will let me "select whether to output the DSD (Direct Stream Digital) signal in its native format or convert it into PCM". All the Oppos are fantastic values.

 

But my question to Golfnutz is how can a "transport only" impart a DAC chip's "typical" sound when it's not converting digital to analog?

 

confused.gif


Edited by grokit - 6/27/13 at 11:54am
post #9036 of 14871

Posted by grokit:

... Even my lowly BDP-83 will let me "select whether to output the DSD (Direct Stream Digital) signal in its native format or convert it into PCM". All the Oppos are fantastic values. ...


The BDP-93/95s output DSD as well; and have done so for several years:

 

BDP-93/BDP-95 Blu-ray Disc Player Firmware Update, Release Information: Release date: March 29, 2011:
 
4. For users who only use the analog audio output, setting "HDMI Audio" to "Off" and "SACD Output" to "DSD" in the "Audio Format Setup" section of the setup menu will now maintain DSD output to the analog audio D/A converters. The previous firmware will force a conversion to PCM if the connected HDMI TV or A/V receiver cannot support DSD.
post #9037 of 14871
Quote:
Originally Posted by grokit View Post

Jeez I don't blame Frank for getting a little cranky, it kinda ruins one's experience when people piss all over it for no reason other than thinly-disguised envy.

To me the WA5 is end-game all the way even without upgrades, so congrats Frank Ibeerchug.gif

 

 

Even my lowly BDP-83 will let me "select whether to output the DSD (Direct Stream Digital) signal in its native format or convert it into PCM". All the Oppos are fantastic values.

 

But my question to Golfnutz is how can a "transport only" impart a DAC chip's "typical" sound when it's not converting digital to analog?

 

confused.gif

Huh, why you changing what I said?

 

I used the Oppo as a transport only to feed my MSB DAC. And compared to the Teac VRDS 25, it's terrible.

 

The typical ES9018 is when the Oppo is used as a standalone player (not feeding the MSB).

 

I did say "It's a great all around player for the price". One of the best Universal player's out there. But I still don't consider it high end when compared to better equipment. So I guess the question is 'Define High End". Should the BDP-95 have it's own forum in Summit Fi?

post #9038 of 14871

Okay thanks for clarifying blink.gif

post #9039 of 14871

Is Ken Rockwell referring to Hifiman in his LCD-3 review?

 

http://www.kenrockwell.com/audio/audeze/lcd-3.htm

Quote:

Compared to Chinese Copies

I haven't bothered to audition any of the Chinese planar-magnetic copies. Why would I bother? As I covered above, cost isn't an issue with audio equipment if you're serious about enjoying your music, as opposed to preferring to buy new equipment all the time.


Edited by Elysian - 6/30/13 at 12:46am
post #9040 of 14871
You will probably have to shoot him an email. The sound signature of the LCD-3 is so different from the HiFiMan orthos that I would find it a big joke if he think of them as copies.
post #9041 of 14871
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarsHP View Post

You will probably have to shoot him an email. The sound signature of the LCD-3 is so different from the HiFiMan orthos that I would find it a big joke if he think of them as copies.

That guy obviously has no idea about good Chinese companies that work in the audio industry... That or he is full of prejudices and/or a snob...

I would probably never base my audio purchases on their country of origin...,much more so that with other products...
post #9042 of 14871
Seems Rockwell is a racist.
post #9043 of 14871
Nope, just misinformed or a snob.

He doesn't realise what he is missing, his loss while people at the Melbourne meet enjoyed my HE6 and it
post #9044 of 14871
was great watching them enjoy it.

(stupid phone deleting my words).
post #9045 of 14871
Quote:
Originally Posted by gikigill View Post

Nope, just misinformed or a snob.

He doesn't realise what he is missing, his loss while people at the Melbourne meet enjoyed my HE6 and it

 

He also seems really patriotic about USA made products... He mentioned that a bit too much in his write-up...

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: High-end Audio Forum
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone