Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone - Page 593

post #8881 of 14788
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank I View Post

Fang sent me an HE6 to include in the review of the Woo WA5 at my request. I want to see how well the hE6 will sound using the K1K 4 pin speaker  output. I am excited to be getting the hE6 for some time to review it with the Woo. 

 

First - how did the k1K sound on that amp?  Was it said the amp had enough juscie for the K1K?  

post #8882 of 14788
Quote:
Originally Posted by preproman View Post

 

First - how did the k1K sound on that amp?  Was it said the amp had enough juscie for the K1K?  

I dont have one. Do you have one? I am sure it will sound good. Every thing sounds good on this amp and its still only a few days old. I should see if I can borrow one for the review.

post #8883 of 14788
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank I View Post

Fang sent me an HE6 to include in the review of the Woo WA5 at my request. I want to see how well the hE6 will sound using the K1K 4 pin speaker  output. I am excited to be getting the hE6 for some time to review it with the Woo. 

 

wink_face.gif Now you've got my attention!

post #8884 of 14788
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank I View Post

Fang sent me an HE6 to include in the review of the Woo WA5 at my request. I want to see how well the hE6 will sound using the K1K 4 pin speaker  output. I am excited to be getting the hE6 for some time to review it with the Woo. 

Should be a dream pairingpopcorn.gif

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by preproman View Post

 

First - how did the k1K sound on that amp?  Was it said the amp had enough juscie for the K1K?  

 

Since that port was implemented specifically for the K1000, I would hope so!

post #8885 of 14788

If someone has the AKG and can send them to me for a loaner I would gladly include them in the review.  I will see if the WA5 can handle the swings with the Copland and not have fits like my Taboo did when I owned it. This is a very nice amp with some power to spare.

post #8886 of 14788
I have said it before and I will say it again - cannot wait for I your review Frank -- with the hd800 and he6!
post #8887 of 14788
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cante Ista View Post

I have said it before and I will say it again - cannot wait for I your review Frank -- with the hd800 and he6!

The hd800 sounds excellent with the WA5. The amps is still burning in but I like  what I hear so far.  The he6 is going to be interesting with the Wa5.

post #8888 of 14788
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank I View Post

The hd800 sounds excellent with the WA5. The amps is still burning in but I like  what I hear so far.  The he6 is going to be interesting with the Wa5.

 

Will the amp be compared to the Stratus, EC BA, LG and other tube amps in it's price range?  Of course non of them can drive the HE-6 most likely.

post #8889 of 14788
Quote:
Originally Posted by preproman View Post

 

Will the amp be compared to the Stratus, EC BA, LG and other tube amps in it's price range?  Of course non of them can drive the HE-6 most likely.

I dont have those other amps so i cant compare them to anything. The Stratus is not near as powerful. The WA5 is a 10W into 8 ohm  speaker amp. I am not sure  about the Eddie Current of Alex amps as I have never heard them.

post #8890 of 14788

Hi.

I have a question to users and owners of both HE6 and HE500. Did someone try to compare those headphones but after replacement of damping material from he6 to he500? I think that it might be very interesting comprassion.

As far as I know HE6 has cotton wool and foam (?) behind the diaphragm and foam and felt from the earpads side. I also tried to damp my he500 with foam and cotton wool. Results depends on quantity of wool and density of foam. Could someone post detailed information and photo of damping materials from he6?

Thanks in advance,

Emil.

post #8891 of 14788

The HE-6 has a foam and a very thin amount of cotton on the backside. I don't recall off the top of my head what's behind the HE-500... but I do recall from taking off the rear grills on both that there was a more noticeable difference with the HE-6 (for the better). In fact, I regrilled my HE-6 with a more open mesh on the backside, removed all the damping there, and added some more to the front.

post #8892 of 14788

Stock HE500 has no damping material at the back. IMHO he500 has worse bass without grill and damping (it's boomier and bit loosier). And the rest of spectrum (mids and highs) is more uneven. At least this is how I hear it when I use sine wave generator. Damping gives less bass to HE500 but it also makes it less distorted. But I didn't try original damping from HE6- only my experimental damping.

post #8893 of 14788
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armaegis View Post

The HE-6 has a foam and a very thin amount of cotton on the backside. I don't recall off the top of my head what's behind the HE-500... but I do recall from taking off the rear grills on both that there was a more noticeable difference with the HE-6 (for the better). In fact, I regrilled my HE-6 with a more open mesh on the backside, removed all the damping there, and added some more to the front.

HE6 is a bit bright in the treble relative to the upper mids, so front damping makes a lot of sense. Heck, very early prototypes and production units of HE6 HAD intricate front-damping in stock (below is the HE6 prototype).

 

post #8894 of 14788

Do any owners here find the treble tamed or toned down once a decent-to-significant amount of hours are accumulated? 

post #8895 of 14788

 

 

 

Plus the added current from a good quality amp, plus a good aftermarket cable.  All this makes Jergs statement not true for me..

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: High-end Audio Forum
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone