Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone - Page 60

post #886 of 14887

frenshprince, what is the break-in time of your HE-6? I am asking, because my HE-5 needed about 700 hours in order to obtain a *mature* signature. Any opinion earlier cannot be taken into serious consideration...

post #887 of 14887

Nobody has had their HE-6 for 700 hours yet. I'd call 700 hours a bit much for break in, but it's your opinion, so it as valid as anyone else's.

post #888 of 14887

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by reaction View Post

frenshprince, what is the break-in time of your HE-6? I am asking, because my HE-5 needed about 700 hours in order to obtain a *mature* signature. Any opinion earlier cannot be taken into serious consideration...


It's all in your head blink.gif

 

Seriously, my first pair of HE-5 required extended "break-in" as you say, but I had to have them replaced under warranty a couple of times and there was no break-in required for me with either of the replacement pairs. So IMHO, break-in is just your brain adjusting to a new sound signature more than anything else.

 

In fact, I am (literally) betting that if one's brain has already "burned-in" to the sound signature of the HE-5 there will be no further adjustment required for the HE-6. The prototypes at least didn't have a hint of sharpness to my ears.


Edited by grokit - 11/14/10 at 1:31pm
post #889 of 14887

At first listen out of the box, even if my HE6 do not change at all with "burn-in", I will be a happy camper!   I am driving them directly from the speaker terminals of my Virtue 2.2.   (40 wpc into 8 ohms)

post #890 of 14887
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxvla View Post

Nobody has had their HE-6 for 700 hours yet. I'd call 700 hours a bit much for break in, but it's your opinion, so it as valid as anyone else's.



especially since orthos (no unlike all headphones) are not supposed to require any break in or change at all...

post #891 of 14887

I thought planars don't need that much, if at all, burn-in? Unlike the dynamic kinds?

post #892 of 14887

HiFlight, 

 

Had the chance to see if the Toucan can drive the HE-6s? Ray Samuel was showing off his new portable balanced amp by pairing it with the HE-6s yesterday at a Chicago meet, but I wondered if the Toucan would also be able to adequately power them. 

 

post #893 of 14887
Quote:
Originally Posted by wuwhere View Post

I thought planars don't need that much, if at all, burn-in? Unlike the dynamic kinds?


nono JUST like dynamic kinds. ;)

post #894 of 14887

Novalis, 

 

If you don't hear back from anyone here on the Burson, keep an eye on 6moons for their HE-6 review, I believe that Srajan is using a Burson these days. There are some impressions about the HE-6 from Srajan on the LCD-2 review pages, but as he ranked it fairly low, I wondered about whether this was due to the phones or the amp used being insufficient. I'd guess the full review would address the issue of amping the HE-6 directly. 

post #895 of 14887
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscoeiii View Post

Novalis, 

 

If you don't hear back from anyone here on the Burson, keep an eye on 6moons for their HE-6 review, I believe that Srajan is using a Burson these days. There are some impressions about the HE-6 from Srajan on the LCD-2 review pages, but as he ranked it fairly low, I wondered about whether this was due to the phones or the amp used being insufficient. I'd guess the full review would address the issue of amping the HE-6 directly. 


Oh, thanks for the heads-up.

 

Mike over at Headfonia has also said he'd give them a try with the HA-160D when he gets the chance.

post #896 of 14887
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiFlight View Post

At first listen out of the box, even if my HE6 do not change at all with "burn-in", I will be a happy camper!   I am driving them directly from the speaker terminals of my Virtue 2.2.   (40 wpc into 8 ohms)


Did you make your own cable?

 

Oh you must be using your HE5-LE cable. Is it a custom make?


Edited by Maxvla - 11/14/10 at 1:45pm
post #897 of 14887
Quote:
Originally Posted by grokit View Post

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by reaction View Post

frenshprince, what is the break-in time of your HE-6? I am asking, because my HE-5 needed about 700 hours in order to obtain a *mature* signature. Any opinion earlier cannot be taken into serious consideration...


It's all in your head blink.gif

 

Seriously, my first pair of HE-5 required extended "break-in" as you say, but I had to have them replaced under warranty a couple of times and there was no break-in required for me with either of the replacement pairs. So IMHO, break-in is just your brain adjusting to a new sound signature more than anything else.

 

In fact, I am (literally) betting that if one's brain has already "burned-in" to the sound signature of the HE-5 there will be no further adjustment required for the HE-6. The prototypes at least didn't have a hint of sharpness to my ears.



You could be right grokit!

post #898 of 14887
Quote:
Originally Posted by MuppetFace View Post

 

I can confirm that the Concerto is just barely powerful enough. It takes the high gain setting, with three of the four indicator lights lit up to power it. The only other cans that need that much juice with the Concerto are the K1000.

 

In comparison, the LCD-2 can run just fine on the low gain setting with two to three indicator lights lit up.

 

That being said, the Concerto makes both the LCD-2 and the HE-6 sound pretty darn good for a sub-$1000 amp.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by grokit View Post

Has anyone had the chance to plug the HE-6 into a WA22 yet?


Sadly no. Had to send mine back to Jack due to a humming issue that turned out to be the amp rather than the tubes. frown.gif


Hmm... I think I read somewhere that when you order the Concerto you can tell Jan to make the high gain higher than normal.  I assume you have the stock high gain?

post #899 of 14887
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiFlight View Post

At first listen out of the box, even if my HE6 do not change at all with "burn-in", I will be a happy camper!   I am driving them directly from the speaker terminals of my Virtue 2.2.   (40 wpc into 8 ohms)



HiFlight,

Did you have any problems connecting the HE-6 to the speaker out?  Is it as simple as going to an on-line music equipment company and ordering a good quality XLR connection to hook to the amp?  Thanks.

 

post #900 of 14887

I am very tempted to purchase a HE-6 but the price goes up another few hundred for me (in taxes and duty) if the cost exceeds $1000 AUD. ATM with the current exchange rate the price is 1032 AUD !!! :( We have had a couple of days with 1-1 exchange rate, so maybe I will have to pray that it happens again before the price goes up an extra $200. Can't afford that extra few hundred $$$.  I was looking at getting a HA-160 or Concerto to pair up, but it's looking like they may not have the juice.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: High-end Audio Forum
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone