Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone - Page 576

post #8626 of 15471
Quote:
Originally Posted by khaine1711 View Post

May I present to you, the He-6 "amp"-off

 

 

 

The puny Topping Tp60 vs Copland 505 (4x Svetlana 6550C Winged + Chinese 12AX7 + 12AU7) driven by a custom-made passive preamp vs Kenwood Ka 9100 fully restored.

 

All fed by a Lampizator hiding somewhere down the table bigsmile_face.gif

 

Looking forward to this.

post #8627 of 15471

Test is a bit rigged though. Tubes has never been replaced, and it's missing the (rather expensive) pre-amp that Copland sell with the CTA 505. Next week when I got the time I'll replace them with KT88 + Raytheon 12AX7, maybe find a decent active preamp, and get a demo Lynx Hilo/Benchmark Dac2 too.

 

Also, fun stuff, the Kenwood got a meter for power output.  The He-6 doesn't consume that much Wattage, they just happen to need really high quality watt wink_face.gif

 

Anyone know if these black things do anything? I'm guessing it's some kind of tube dampening?

 


Edited by khaine1711 - 4/30/13 at 1:39pm
post #8628 of 15471
Quote:
Originally Posted by khaine1711 View Post

Test is a bit rigged though. Tubes has never been replaced, and it's missing the (rather expensive) pre-amp that Copland sell with the CTA 505. Next week when I got the time I'll replace them with KT88 + Raytheon 12AX7, maybe find a decent active preamp, and get a demo Lynx Hilo/Benchmark Dac2 too.

 

Also, fun stuff, the Kenwood got a meter for power output.  The He-6 doesn't consume that much Wattage, they just happen to need really high quality watt wink_face.gif

 

Anyone know if these black things do anything? I'm guessing it's some kind of tube dampening?

 

 

They're tube coolers.

post #8629 of 15471
Quote:
Originally Posted by khaine1711 View Post

May I present to you, the He-6 "amp"-off

 

 

The puny Topping Tp60 vs Copland 505 (4x Svetlana 6550C Winged + Chinese 12AX7 + 12AU7) driven by a custom-made passive preamp vs Kenwood Ka 9100 fully restored.

 

All fed by a Lampizator hiding somewhere down the table bigsmile_face.gif

 

 

popcorn.gif

post #8630 of 15471
Quote:
Originally Posted by khaine1711 View Post

Test is a bit rigged though. Tubes has never been replaced, and it's missing the (rather expensive) pre-amp that Copland sell with the CTA 505. Next week when I got the time I'll replace them with KT88 + Raytheon 12AX7, maybe find a decent active preamp, and get a demo Lynx Hilo/Benchmark Dac2 too.

 

 

Which KT88s? On my CTA 504, I've used EH KT88, their alright but I prefer the GE6550 grey smooth plates and 4 vintage Mullards 12AX7A VOM made in Great Britain for phase inverters and a 1 JJ for pre. The GE6550s are rebadged vintage Tung Sol 6550 smooth plates made in USA.

 

 

Processed By eBay with ImageMagick, R1.1.1.||B2||T0JKX0lEPTRmNjc4MmQ3YTE1YTAzMTkwNGY2Y2UxOWY5NDA0YjA1MTdiMzczMTZmZDQ3fHxPUklHSU5BTF9FQkFZX1FVQUxJVFlfU0NPUkU9NHx8Q1JFQVRJT05fREFURT00LzI2LzEzIDc6NDEgUE0=


Edited by wuwhere - 4/30/13 at 6:47pm
post #8631 of 15471

Current plan is to roll all the stuff that I can return first (reissued gold lion Kt88, reissued tungsol 6550, sovtek 6550) tongue.gif. Then I'll go for the Canada Fuller Kt88. I want to try NOS Tungsol too, but these things are hella expensive - and you need 4 to boot. Any ideas on these GE (they're called MPD GE 6550)?

 

 


Pre would probably be 2x 12AX7 Raytheon blackplate; phase splitter 4x Raytheon 5814. I'm sure anything would be better than the no name gold dragon chinese stuff atm =p.

post #8632 of 15471
I have 4 of those GEs installed in my Audio Research amp. They're better than the Sovteks, I haven't tried them yet in my 504. The Tung Sol 6550 reissues are alright, a little weak on the bass. I also have EH KT88s, I prefer them over the Tung Sol reissues. I've read good things about the Fuller KT88. I like the Mullards 12AX7As, before them I had JJ 12AX7s and they're very good, a little dark, I also tried some vintage CBS 12AX7s, they're comparable to the JJs. But the Mullards are much better. And in that photo, I set in triode.
Edited by wuwhere - 4/30/13 at 7:44pm
post #8633 of 15471
Just ordered the Musical Paradise MP301 Mk3 as a first step in tube land. Will it power the HE-6 properly from the speaker out or will the Hifiman adapter will be required? The headphone out is pretty good at 2W per channel.

If this pans out, I might go for a more powerful valve amp specifically for the HE-6. Something in the range of 50W per channel.
post #8634 of 15471

You need to use the adapter in order to protect the output.

 

I've tried the MP-301mk3 with the HE-6 and it does have enough power. Sonically... not the greatest details, nor the best soundstage, but it's got a really fun groove to it. Personally I think it might have even sounded better from the headphone jack rather than speaker outputs.

 

Now, the MP-301mk3 with a Stax energizer... that's where the magic is at. 

post #8635 of 15471
Damn, didn't realise I could connect the Stax to it too.

Now I am waiting even more eagerly for it. Will report back with how it powers the HE as the newest version is supposed to have a beefier power supply.
post #8636 of 15471

So I was looking around the BTG Audio website thinking of buying an iem cable and then I came across this: http://btg-audio.com/webstore.htm#!/~/product/category=2609209&id=20207679

 

It replaces the connector with another one. It looks like the one that Audeze uses. Has anyone tried that? I definitely hate the Hifiman one and something like that could be real tempting especially if I can get my Hifiman cable reterminated into that one instead.

post #8637 of 15471
Quote:
Originally Posted by rawrster View Post

So I was looking around the BTG Audio website thinking of buying an iem cable and then I came across this: http://btg-audio.com/webstore.htm#!/~/product/category=2609209&id=20207679

 

It replaces the connector with another one. It looks like the one that Audeze uses. Has anyone tried that? I definitely hate the Hifiman one and something like that could be real tempting especially if I can get my Hifiman cable reterminated into that one instead.

Gurus from this thread actually commissioned BTG audio to do something similar to that. You can use any connector with this kind. I think if you're going to remove the connector, just hardwire them.

 

post #8638 of 15471
Quote:
Originally Posted by khaine1711 View Post

 I think if you're going to remove the connector, just hardwire them.

 

 

right!

post #8639 of 15471
If you can accept a lessor gain than the AX, try an AY. I was rolling some AX7s through my tube output DAC and was suggested to try a RCA command series 5 star. The clarity was better with a bit more top end sparkle without sacrificing bass. Lots cheaper than premium AXs.
post #8640 of 15471
Quote:

 

 

I am sorry, but that looks absolutely dreadful and  incredibly impractical..yuck!   very_evil_smiley.gif

And just realised they didn't even bother with strain relief at the headphone's exit point. I feel sorry for whoever that can belongs to.


Edited by zenpunk - 5/1/13 at 11:44am
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: High-end Audio Forum
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone