Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone - Page 571

post #8551 of 15369

I have heard the HE-6 through vintage amps, Gungnir and various modern receivers but none have bested  my Little Dot MKVI+ so far.

 

 

post #8552 of 15369

Consider me sold as I was thinking of the Little Dot 3 but got a question for you.

 

How does the Little Dot MKVI+ feed the HE-6s monstrous appetite?

 

Is there enough headroom and does the amp ever show any signs of stress.?


Edited by gikigill - 3/31/13 at 6:43am
post #8553 of 15369

 There is plenty of power as this amp was designed for the AKG K1000 (Max Power: 5W into 120 Ohms). I have never experienced clipping or lack of control and I only use it on low gain (6db) as I also use it with my HD700 and JVC DX1000 . 

But you can double the gain by using internal jumpers, recommended it you are  going to use it only with HE-6 and K1000.


Edited by zenpunk - 3/31/13 at 6:59am
post #8554 of 15369
Quote:
Originally Posted by gikigill View Post

Consider me sold as I was thinking of the Little Dot 3 but got a question for you.

 

How does the Little Dot MKVI+ feed the HE-6s monstrous appetite?

 

Is there enough headroom and does the amp ever show any signs of stress.?


The 3 will clip badly with the He-6 due to its OTL design

 

I kinda like the look of the VI; those meters are delicious. Around the price range you should also look at the SAC Minute El34 SE (EL34 + 6N1P) - doesn't need balance source; can drive speaker and got a headphone out jack drawing power from speaker post/ another normal headphone out for  "normal" headphone


Edited by khaine1711 - 3/31/13 at 9:16am
post #8555 of 15369

Thank you everyone for your time and advice.

 

I shall be looking at a few other amps too but the Little Dot looks cool with the VU meters.wink.gif

 

Decisions decisions....
 

post #8556 of 15369

If you need a relatively inexpensive solid state option, I'm pretty happy with the Audio GD SA-31 (about $620 with optional remote and shipping). It outputs 8 watts into 50 ohms but the gain is flexible enough to work with highly sensitive headphones like Audio Technicas and Grados. 

post #8557 of 15369
Quote:
Originally Posted by gikigill View Post

Thank you everyone for your time and advice.

I shall be looking at a few other amps too but the Little Dot looks cool with the VU meters.wink.gif

Decisions decisions....


 
I love mine.
post #8558 of 15369

Hey those are fake VU meters and that's not even an amp!

 

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

But it looks supercool and I want one.

post #8559 of 15369
Quote:gikigill
I shall be looking at a few other amps too but the Little Dot looks cool with the VU meters.wink.gif

 

Quote:
Hey those are fake VU meters and that's not even an amp!
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to hide)

But it looks supercool and I want one.

Yep, they're definitely fake VU meters.......

 

Actually they're sarcasm meters.

post #8560 of 15369

I recently bought a second Aleph 3 with the intent to use one for the HE-6 and the other for speakers. However, I find myself using the Mjolnir more and more. So, I'm going to sell it, but figured I'd give the HE-6 crowd first crack. I'll post it in the FS area, but feel free to PM me.

post #8561 of 15369

So, how does the pairing sound again? (Aleph 3/HE-6)

popcorn.gif

post #8562 of 15369
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent One View Post

So, how does the pairing sound again? (Aleph 3/HE-6)

popcorn.gif

Superb! I can't get over how awesome they get on together. It's like a Dark Star for a third the price.

 

I just end up using the Mjolnir since I don't feel like crawling about to change the cables from the speakers to the HE-6. Lazy, I know.

post #8563 of 15369

For those of you using speaker amps with multiple sources, which preamp do you use?  Are there any preferred ones with the HE-6?

post #8564 of 15369

Mine is a one-off, a customized WA22 that has been converted to balanced preamp duty and to accept two balanced sources. It's feeding a balanced pro audio speaker amp about 1/15 its worth and they sound wonderful together.


Edited by grokit - 4/9/13 at 2:58pm
post #8565 of 15369
Quote:
Originally Posted by givemevinyl View Post

For those of you using speaker amps with multiple sources, which preamp do you use?  Are there any preferred ones with the HE-6?

 

I have a dedicated Balanced a20 being made as we speak.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: High-end Audio Forum
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone