Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone - Page 561

post #8401 of 14866
Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman59 View Post

 It is SPC and ridiculously small awg.

32 or 36 AWG(i don´t remember)+ the ridicolous connector

for an headphone like the hd-800 is a shame

post #8402 of 14866
Quote:
Originally Posted by alota View Post

32 or 36 AWG(i don´t remember)+ the ridicolous connector

for an headphone like the hd-800 is a shame

WTF!! seriously!

post #8403 of 14866
Quote:
Originally Posted by alota View Post

32 or 36 AWG(i don´t remember)+ the ridicolous connector

for an headphone like the hd-800 is a shame

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cante Ista View Post

WTF!! seriously!

 

Almost every headphone has some wiring like this. I don't think the gauge is all that important though, as long as it's not so large it reduces the signal. 

post #8404 of 14866

Small wire does not necessarily equal bad.  Far from it.  Audio Consulting silver wire is arguably some of the best there has ever been for wiring inside a component and it's nothing but tiny tiny hair-like strands of silver wire (don't know the actual awg or if it's even a standard size).  I have it in one of my DACs and its sound has been an extraordinary improvement over the much thicker, solid wire that I first tried.  Also, in terms of headphone internal wiring, one is limited by space to a certain extent and you wouldn't want to crowd the driver.  Also for headphone cabling - strands of very high gauge copper or silver wire can work quite well for certain applications.

post #8405 of 14866

I think I'm going to make my next headphone cable out of thin magnet wire just for kicks.

post #8406 of 14866

Is that a diss? 

post #8407 of 14866

Nah, just something to do if I'm bored.

post #8408 of 14866

`OK. Does anyone know whehter the hd800 wire specifically  is crappy or not? 

post #8409 of 14866

HD800 questions in the HE-6 thread... we're taking over muhahaha ;)

 

The cable is fine except that it is long, stiff and if you need a balanced connector obviously not usable.  It is however 36awg which is tiny but the HD800 is high impedance so not much chance of being of high enough impedance to do anything.

 

On cable itself.  Many smaller wires that are isolated have turned out to be the ideal.  Hence the resurgence of litz varieties.  Most we see are bundles off 44awg copper wire that is enamelled to separate them.  It's the ideal conductor but not necessarily the one you will prefer.  Sometimes people like a little colour to flat truth.

post #8410 of 14866
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solude View Post

HD800 questions in the HE-6 thread... we're taking over muhahaha ;)

 

The cable is fine except that it is long, stiff and if you need a balanced connector obviously not usable.  It is however 36awg which is tiny but the HD800 is high impedance so not much chance of being of high enough impedance to do anything.

 

On cable itself.  Many smaller wires that are isolated have turned out to be the ideal.  Hence the resurgence of litz varieties.  Most we see are bundles off 44awg copper wire that is enamelled to separate them.  It's the ideal conductor but not necessarily the one you will prefer.  Sometimes people like a little colour to flat truth.

oops! i did not even notice that we were in he6 thread. Sorry!

post #8411 of 14866
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cante Ista View Post

oops! i did not even notice that we were in he6 thread. Sorry!

 

 

We don't like you HD800 luvin' kin around here.

 

ITT we talk about a great headphone that sounds amazing and isn't so greedy as to need it's own special amplifier! 


Edited by elwappo99 - 3/15/13 at 2:07am
post #8412 of 14866
Quote:
Originally Posted by elwappo99 View Post

 

 

We don't like you HD800 luvin' kin around here.

 

ITT we talk about a great headphone that sounds amazing and isn't so greedy as to need it's own special amplifier! 

agreed. moved the question to HD800- thread

post #8413 of 14866
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cante Ista View Post

agreed. moved the question to HD800- thread

 

I was just heckling ya. I don't know about the HD800 thread, but the HE-6 thread has kind of been 

 

deadhorse.gif

 

It was a nice change of scenery biggrin.gif

post #8414 of 14866

Meanwhile, last night when I was having my intimate time with my He-6, I got an idea. 

 

Since I was using speaker tap, I thought I could hook up two different cables on left and right side; then play mono recording on each side to a/b. That, however, didn't work - sound was only coming from one side. Any idea why? 

post #8415 of 14866
Quote:
Originally Posted by khaine1711 View Post

Meanwhile, last night when I was having my intimate time with my He-6, I got an idea. 

 

Since I was using speaker tap, I thought I could hook up two different cables on left and right side; then play mono recording on each side to a/b. That, however, didn't work - sound was only coming from one side. Any idea why? 

 

Maybe you used a string on one side happy_face1.gif

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: High-end Audio Forum
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone