Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone - Page 57

post #841 of 15369
Quote:
Originally Posted by sokolov91 View Post
 If they are truly "better" than the LCD-2 I'll have to change my underwear ;)

 

Don't you mean preferable? They both appear to be hi-fidelity headphones.
 

post #842 of 15369

I'm always a bit suspicious of people's reciting complex comparisons from memory of one or both headphones, as our memories of sound seem a bit unreliable, so it's going to seem really hypocritical of me to address the soundstage question from memory of the LCD-2. However I've tried to pick a really obvious point. I think I can pretty accurately remember which soundstage was "bigger" than the other, so I should be fine so long as I don't start defining the exact boundaries and three-dimensional shapes of them and whatnot.

 

So yes, regarding which soundstage is bigger between the HE-6 vs. LCD-2, my answer is the HE-6. I can say very confidently that the soundstage of the HE-6 was certainly NOT smaller than the LCD-2.

post #843 of 15369
Quote:
Originally Posted by sokolov91 View Post

Whats the construction quality like? Plastic looks a little lame... does it have good heft? Is the metal holding the cups of high quality?

 

also, anyone tried it with a phoenix yet? It would output like 2.5 watts... is this enough?


The HE-6 has a very good heft without being as heavy as the LCD-2. The ear cups have a very high end feel to them, a metallic coating that is very solid feeling and changes color from a sort of purplish hue to a metal silvery hue depending on the way light hits it. The overall effect isn't gaudy in my opinion, not like some sort of color-change paint you see on some customized cars.

 

The metal holding the ear cups feels very solid to me. The adjuster rods aren't as "substantial" as the LCD-2 however. The big point for me though is that the adjustment system just seems better in spite of this. The cup movement is silky smooth. The adjustment blocks seem more solid, but then I never would have guessed the LCD-2's necessarily weren't

 

I haven't tried it with the Phoenix, but the Concerto does a fairly decent job driving them, so given that the Phoenix is more powerful I'm guessing yes.


Edited by MuppetFace - 11/13/10 at 10:51pm
post #844 of 15369

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSpenkelink View Post



Quote:
Originally Posted by sokolov91 View Post
 If they are truly "better" than the LCD-2 I'll have to change my underwear ;)

 

Don't you mean preferable? They both appear to be hi-fidelity headphones.
 


I'm guessing the better in quotes means he's saying better for his personal tastes.

post #845 of 15369

^ I thought it was ironic. ;-) 


Edited by MrSpenkelink - 11/13/10 at 11:18pm
post #846 of 15369
Quote:
Originally Posted by MuppetFace View Post

I'm always a bit suspicious of people's reciting complex comparisons from memory of one or both headphones, as our memories of sound seem a bit unreliable, so it's going to seem really hypocritical of me to address the soundstage question from memory of the LCD-2. However I've tried to pick a really obvious point. I think I can pretty accurately remember which soundstage was "bigger" than the other, so I should be fine so long as I don't start defining the exact boundaries and three-dimensional shapes of them and whatnot.

 

So yes, regarding which soundstage is bigger between the HE-6 vs. LCD-2, my answer is the HE-6. I can say very confidently that the soundstage of the HE-6 was certainly NOT smaller than the LCD-2.


very wise words :P

post #847 of 15369

Quote:

Originally Posted by sokolov91 View Post
 If they are truly "better" than the LCD-2 I'll have to change my underwear ;)

 

Does it mean that you normally don't change your underwear and this would an event that would prompt that. Coworkers or cohorts would probably chip in and get you a pair of one or the other or, if you are lucky, are you feeling lucky?, maybe, yes maybe, both. 


Edited by jamato8 - 11/13/10 at 11:22pm
post #848 of 15369
Quote:
Originally Posted by MuppetFace View Post

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSpenkelink View Post



Quote:
Originally Posted by sokolov91 View Post
 If they are truly "better" than the LCD-2 I'll have to change my underwear ;)

 

Don't you mean preferable? They both appear to be hi-fidelity headphones.
 


I'm guessing the better in quotes means he's saying better for his personal tastes.


Well I meant both... objectively better, and subjectively... they could be either or... but both would be great! :P

 

They could technically perform better, but sound worse to me... Sound better and be technically worse, or be both... or be neither... only 1 of those options is really what I would want :P - call me greedy.

 

Will be interesting to see what kind of square wave responses we get out of the HE-6 as well as the over all FR.

post #849 of 15369
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamato8 View Post

Does it mean that you normally don't change your underwear and this would an event that would prompt that. Coworkers or cohorts would probably chip in and get you a pair of one or the other or, if you are lucky, are you feeling luchy?, maybe, yes maybe, both. 


Sadly I change regularly and shower daily, or more if necessary. But... now that you mention it... this is quite the tactic... Will have to try it out and see what my girlfriend gets me for christmas ;)

 

P.S. it would seem the innuendo was not overly apparent.

post #850 of 15369

It was apparent but not a place I cared to dwell so a safer place I have gone. :^)

post #851 of 15369

Seriously sokolov91, I thought you meant objectively better. It's probably no exaggeration to suggest that these are two of the most "uncoloured" headphones currently in production. I suspect that your ears rather than the comparative square wave and frequency responses will and should be the final judge. I wonder what your preferred flavour of "neutral" will be? smile_phones.gif  


Edited by MrSpenkelink - 11/14/10 at 12:20am
post #852 of 15369
Quote:

Will be interesting to see what kind of square wave responses we get out of the HE-6 as well as the over all FR.

Do you have access to a scope? (not saying that your breath stinks).
 

post #853 of 15369
Quote:
Originally Posted by grokit View Post

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by .Sup View Post

At the end it doesn't really matter what part cracks- something cracks. The material isn't durable enough and it would seem it wasn't tested properly.


The durability explanation works for the plastic but not the wood. With polymers it's just a question of formula; you put more of the appropriate (and usually more expensive) ingredients in and the resulting plastic will be stronger, more UV/freeze resistant, flexible, etc. With wood it's a question of properly kiln-drying or otherwise curing it, and then sealing the wood properly to prevent the re-introduction of moisture so it will be impervious to changing environmental conditions.



So that's why they don't make wooden cars tongue.gif

post #854 of 15369
Quote:
Originally Posted by .Sup View Post

So that's why they don't make wooden cars tongue.gif


Since when?

 

http://www.morgan-motor.co.uk/

post #855 of 15369
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaxilus View Post



Quote:
Originally Posted by .Sup View Post

So that's why they don't make wooden cars tongue.gif


Since when?

 

http://www.morgan-motor.co.uk/


the chassis is made of wood? Doesn't look like

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: High-end Audio Forum
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone