Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone - Page 547

post #8191 of 15185
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarsHP View Post

To me, and also measurements, the HE-6 has more than neutral in the treble, which may make it sound bright. However, more power or current won't heal that, but people hear it as a little bright, and then assume that it is a lack in the amp. A weak amp with a source having a rolled off treble is a good tool to test my point. My HM-801 portable player demonstrated this.

 

I've heard these headphones on many, many different types of amps.  One thing I've noticed is the treble and bass response change from amp to amp.  Some lesser quality amps will spotlight the treble and weaken the bass.   On higher quality amps the treble was tamed and the bass had weight.  The amp I'm using now is a current driven amp with only 10watts into 8 ohms.

 

So for me. Mega watts and loads of power wasn't the answer.  As I use to run these on 200wpc mono blocks.  They sound better on the amp I'm using now.  Smooth treble, Large soundstage, Deep tight bass, lots of body (full).

 

This has been my experience.

post #8192 of 15185
Quote:
Originally Posted by preproman View Post

 

I've heard these headphones on many, many different types of amps.  One thing I've noticed is the treble and bass response change from amp to amp.  Some lesser quality amps will spotlight the treble and weaken the bass.   On higher quality amps the treble was tamed and the bass had weight.  The amp I'm using now is a current driven amp with only 10watts into 8 ohms.

 

So for me. Mega watts and loads of power wasn't the answer.  As I use to run these on 200wpc mono blocks.  They sound better on the amp I'm using now.  Smooth treble, Large soundstage, Deep tight bass, lots of body (full).

 

This has been my experience.

 

Hey prep, whenever you get to try the HD800 on the F1J, mind firing me a quick PM? Eagerly awaiting impressions...

 

Looks like a solid amp for the HE6, I want to see if it performs that way for all headphones.

post #8193 of 15185
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shahrose View Post

 

Hey prep, whenever you get to try the HD800 on the F1J, mind firing me a quick PM? Eagerly awaiting impressions...

 

Looks like a solid amp for the HE6, I want to see if it performs that way for all headphones.

 

I will.

 

However, SWA is building me an a20 preamp.  The DACs digital volume control I'm using is not the best for the HD800s - not a lot of headroom.

post #8194 of 15185

Surprised you aren't just going to use the GS-X on unity gain.

post #8195 of 15185
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solude View Post

Surprised you aren't just going to use the GS-X on unity gain.

 

Yep, thought about it.  But they will be in different areas.  I'm still going to compare the two.  You know how we do.  Compare everything biggrin.gif

post #8196 of 15185

A resounding Y-E-S-! We like how you do it!

beerchug.gif

post #8197 of 15185
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shahrose View Post

 

Hey prep, whenever you get to try the HD800 on the F1J, mind firing me a quick PM? Eagerly awaiting impressions...

 

Looks like a solid amp for the HE6, I want to see if it performs that way for all headphones.

 

The high output impedance of the F1j might not work so well into the HD800, though i guess it wouldnt hurt to try it...

post #8198 of 15185

If it's good enough for speakers, why wouldn't it be ok for the HD800?

post #8199 of 15185
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armaegis View Post

If it's good enough for speakers, why wouldn't it be ok for the HD800?

The F1 isnt a normal power amplifier. Its designed to be a current source rather than a voltage source. It was designed to be used with full range drivers with a relatively flat impedance curve.

post #8200 of 15185
Any advice on a preamp for my Odyssey Stratos amp?

I recently sold my W4S Dac 2 and kept the preamp-less Dac 1. I tried the Zana Deux as preamp but it distorts. The other option is my CSP2+ into the Odyssey, but this creates logistical issues (too far away from one another) and I'm not sure how the CSP2+ would do with such a powerful amp. The other option is to run my Marantz 2285 as pre. I'll be getting my HE6 back from repair in a couple of weeks and would like to have a prepared solution; I miss them!
post #8201 of 15185
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericfarrell85 View Post

Any advice on a preamp for my Odyssey Stratos amp?

I recently sold my W4S Dac 2 and kept the preamp-less Dac 1. I tried the Zana Deux as preamp but it distorts. The other option is my CSP2+ into the Odyssey, but this creates logistical issues (too far away from one another) and I'm not sure how the CSP2+ would do with such a powerful amp. The other option is to run my Marantz 2285 as pre. I'll be getting my HE6 back from repair in a couple of weeks and would like to have a prepared solution; I miss them!

 

What about one of the Odyssey preamps?

post #8202 of 15185
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoupRKnowva View Post

The F1 isnt a normal power amplifier. Its designed to be a current source rather than a voltage source. It was designed to be used with full range drivers with a relatively flat impedance curve.

 

And more to the point it's designed to have a higher output impedance than the load.. which into the HD800 it wouldn't.

post #8203 of 15185

i tried for half hour my he-6 with my new beta and i love this combo but i hope soon a complete listening session

post #8204 of 15185
Quote:
Originally Posted by alota View Post

i tried for half hour my he-6 with my new beta and i love this combo but i hope soon a complete listening session

 

What seems to be the issue?

post #8205 of 15185
Quote:
Originally Posted by preproman View Post

 

What seems to be the issue?

sorry but i didn´t understand the question

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: High-end Audio Forum
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone