Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone - Page 535

post #8011 of 15171
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobnfrances View Post

Hi

Do you know of anyone that would let me listen to their HE-6's in the L.A. or Orange County area?  The factory said they don't have any demos.   I'm new to this & don't want to buy anything expensive as the HiFi MAN HE-6 unless I listen to them first.

 

Could you lead me in the right direction?

 

Thanks,

Bob

 

Search around in this subforum to see if there's anyone near you: http://www.head-fi.org/f/24/local-regional-head-fi-meets-parties-get-togethers

post #8012 of 15171
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Roberts View Post

1000

 

 

 

Have you by chance heard the Bakoon Amp-11R powering the HE-6 and if so, could you briefly state the differences between the two Bakoon amps.

Sorry, unfortunetly I never had chance to try them :)

post #8013 of 15171
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMiddleSky View Post

Sorry, unfortunetly I never had chance to try them :)

 

Thanks.......not many in the States have heard either one. I prefer the Amp-11R paired with the LCD-3 and the HE-6 with my 55W into 8 ohms tubed speaker amp.

post #8014 of 15171
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Roberts View Post

 

Thanks.......not many in the States have heard either one. I prefer the Amp-11R paired with the LCD-3 and the HE-6 with my 55W into 8 ohms tubed speaker amp.

Nah, that's sound interesting :)

 

Today I also tried HE6 via speaker ouput of 7511 MK3 (15w x 2), then plug to Hifiman's HE-Adapter. Actually I still prefer the sound that coming from headphone output of 5210 MK3, I think the myth that say bigger power = better sound for HE6 isn't 100% a truth after all.

post #8015 of 15171
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMiddleSky View Post

Nah, that's sound interesting :)

 

 I think the myth that say bigger power = better sound for HE6 isn't 100% a truth after all.

 

My comment was not so much intended to enter the power vs. current fray on this thread, although I tend to agree with you, but to make the point that I prefer tubes with the HE-6 and SS with the Audezes.

post #8016 of 15171

Hey guys, 

 

I'm planning to build a humble system with the He-6 + t-amp. I'm gonna travel again in 10 months so I can't really invest in those monstrous vintage receiver/speaker amp (plus back home, we have tons of vintage pow amp/receiver compare to where I live now). I got some questions about cable terminating and stuff.

 

How should I terminate the speaker tap cable? I haven't build my own stereo system for like 10 years, but I remember there's spade plug and banana plug, also the binding post/push terminal. So for most t-amp these days should I get the spade or banana plug? If I want to try vintage stuff I must order another adapter with just the wire (for binding post/push terminal, coz I remember my ancient Pioneer receiver got these push terminals)

 

Any tips on where to get this adapter made cheap in UK is also much appreciated tongue_smile.gif

post #8017 of 15171

I use this.  Show it to Frank at Toxic cable - he can make it.

 

 

post #8018 of 15171
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackiedh View Post

Edited my post to reflect the Goldpoint--

 

I have tried some Rothwell 10db attenuators but no big help--

 

I am looking into getting a Goldpoint Passive Volume Controller to go between my Gungir and the Emotiva XPA 200--But they are pretty pricey....

 

Oh Well--Otherwise sounds pretty darn good!!

 

By the way my LCD 2 Rev2's sound pretty awesome in this setup also--but even less volume knob range.....

 

Jack

 

Problem with the He 6's is you never know if this is as good as it gets with the current setup you are using even if it sounds fantastic.....

 

Always searching......

 

Jack


Well I just pulled out an old Threshold CAS 1 75 wpc Stasis amp I had forgotten I had and Oh My Lord another step up the never ending quest with these He 6's--

 

Some serious Bass and overall sweetness & fullness across the whole frequency range--Totally amazing--

 

And this is the original amp no work done to it!!!

 

So the Quest goes on.......

 

Though I can't imagine the He 6 getting any better---BUT...........

 

Jack

post #8019 of 15171

@Jack

 

Is this amp one of Nelson Pass designs?

post #8020 of 15171

Yes it sure is--late seventies early 80's--I use to own his top of the line SA 1 100lb all Class A Monoblocks--wish I still had them...

 

Jack

post #8021 of 15171
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackiedh View Post


Well I just pulled out an old Threshold CAS 1 75 wpc Stasis amp I had forgotten I had and Oh My Lord another step up the never ending quest with these He 6's--

 

Some serious Bass and overall sweetness & fullness across the whole frequency range--Totally amazing--

 

And this is the original amp no work done to it!!!

 

So the Quest goes on.......

 

Though I can't imagine the He 6 getting any better---BUT...........

 

Jack

One of the best amps Nelson Pass ever designed. Heard that amp in the 80's. Excellent kit. I bet they sound fantastic.

post #8022 of 15171
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackiedh View Post

Yes it sure is--late seventies early 80's--I use to own his top of the line SA 1 100lb all Class A Monoblocks--wish I still had them...

Jack
Oh baby.......I'd say that would be a perfect tube amp from a power standpoint.

Hey Jack, do you notice a harshness or strained highs on them.
Edited by Happy Camper - 1/31/13 at 11:42am
post #8023 of 15171
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Camper View Post


Oh baby.......I'd say that would be a perfect tube amp from a power standpoint.

Hey Jack, do you notice a harshness or strained highs on them.


Absolutely not-He6--CAS 1---smooth as silk--wide open soundstage--deep deep tight clean bass--Wonderful....

 

By the way I am using Audeze Vegan Pads on my HE 6's

 

By far the best I have heard them on the gear I have!!

 

Jack


Edited by jackiedh - 1/31/13 at 12:05pm
post #8024 of 15171
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackiedh View Post


Absolutely not-He6--CAS 1---smooth as silk--wide open soundstage--deep deep tight clean bass--Wonderful....

 

By the way I am using Audeze Vegan Pads on my HE 6's

 

By far the best I have heard them on the gear I have!!

 

Jack

A couple of informative pictures of the HE-6 with the Vegan pads - pleeeeeease? ... tongue_smile.gif

post #8025 of 15171
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarsHP View Post
 

 

 

What you think about your Ref 7.1?  Can you describe it?

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: High-end Audio Forum
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone