Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone - Page 528

post #7906 of 14952
Quote:
Originally Posted by sphinxvc View Post

Yay.
Nice avatar sphinxvc. "Hey Paul!" *splat*

-Daniel
post #7907 of 14952
Quote:
Originally Posted by moodyrn View Post


The most powerful tube amp I've used is a vintage fisher transformer coupled which is only 25wpc. I loved the tonality with the he6, but it just don't have the power and finesse the solid state amps I've tried have. But I'm now on the look out for a good least 50wpc tube amp. The AR amp Brent has was like a combo of my tube amp and my solid state integrated all in one.

Out of all of my 2500+ post, that was probably my longest one biggrin.gif

Great read though. The only headphone I truly sorry I sold was the he6. I would had to buy a tube speaker amp like 50 watts also is the reason I sold it. look around for some  Prima Luna or Rogue audio tube amps on audiogon or my old time most favorite amp was the CJ Premier 11A I sold when I needed cash whem I first went out on disability. Man do I miss that amp and my CAT Signature MK11 preamp. I had that combo for 12 years.


Edited by Frank I - 1/23/13 at 2:20pm
post #7908 of 14952
Thanks for the tips Frank.
post #7909 of 14952
Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman59 View Post

I totally agree. Price/Perfromance ratio of the HE-6 is the best of all. There could be better sounding headphones but not at that price point. I own the HE-6, HD800, T1, W300ANV and SR-009. All of them are excellent and obviously the best is the SR-009 IMO but at a big price. After the SR-009 I like the HE-6, HD800 and W3000ANV the same for different reasong with maybe a little slight preference for the HE-6. The T1 follow those in my list.
While I was over at preproman's overkill audio store biggrin.gif, we were doing some listening on the F1 with the HE-6 and LCD-3. You want to hear a clear difference in quality, listen to some bass strong hip hop. The 6s were clear and strong with startling bass impact. The LCDs seemed muffled by comparison. Big bass but not as detailed as the 6s and couldn't compete in the mids/highs. Preproman has the HE-6, 5le, 500, 400 & 4 on hand and boy, what a stable of cans. Also arrived were the HD-600 and now I understand why the SP amps held such a popular position as the Senns readily display the sound of tubes. If not for preproman's passion for all things audio/video, I'd not have the opportunity to live with so many flagship headphones. I'm coming to the realization that with proper component matching, there are a lot of outstanding sounding headphones. I'm using the T-1s now and while not the HD-800, they may be preferred by some because they remind me more of the HD 6xx series than the 800s.

Man, I love this hobby and it's more special when like minded hobbyists get together. Thank you all for making my most favored passion so much more enjoyable. To you Mr. Overkill, outstanding. beerchug.gif
post #7910 of 14952
Sounds like a great time. I would have loved to been there.
post #7911 of 14952
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Camper View Post


While I was over at preproman's overkill audio store biggrin.gif, we were doing some listening on the F1 with the HE-6 and LCD-3. You want to hear a clear difference in quality, listen to some bass strong hip hop. The 6s were clear and strong with startling bass impact. The LCDs seemed muffled by comparison. Big bass but not as detailed as the 6s and couldn't compete in the mids/highs. Preproman has the HE-6, 5le, 500, 400 & 4 on hand and boy, what a stable of cans. Also arrived were the HD-600 and now I understand why the SP amps held such a popular position as the Senns readily display the sound of tubes. If not for preproman's passion for all things audio/video, I'd not have the opportunity to live with so many flagship headphones. I'm coming to the realization that with proper component matching, there are a lot of outstanding sounding headphones. I'm using the T-1s now and while not the HD-800, they may be preferred by some because they remind me more of the HD 6xx series than the 800s.

Man, I love this hobby and it's more special when like minded hobbyists get together. Thank you all for making my most favored passion so much more enjoyable. To you Mr. Overkill, outstanding. beerchug.gif

 

 

Reading through this post all I could think of was "preproman is hosting a multi-day sleepover?!?!?!"

post #7912 of 14952
Quote:
Originally Posted by elwappo99 View Post

 

 

Reading through this post all I could think of was "preproman is hosting a multi-day sleepover?!?!?!"

 

 

What you talken bout Williseek.gif

 

 

Next we need to hook that Lynx Hilo up to the big boy amps to see how good it is.


Edited by preproman - 1/23/13 at 6:43pm
post #7913 of 14952
Quote:
Originally Posted by elwappo99 View Post


Reading through this post all I could think of was "preproman is hosting a multi-day sleepover?!?!?!"
Every time I go over there, I'm frustrated on where to start. My mind starts working overtime on how in the world to organize a meaningful method for comparing. Hell, it'd take a week without sleep to do just the top tier gear. Almost all the HEs, LCD2.2 & 3, T-1, HD-800, 650, 600, K&Q-701, AD-2000 &W3000aniv., D2,5&7k, etc. on some very nice amps. The PWDII, M51, long overdue Buffalo III & Soup's D2 have convinced me to put my tube DAC to rest and step into the new world of ss DACs. I would be in marital jail for even a small % of such enthusiastic exposure to the quantity and quality of gear. Thanks buddy........damn you tongue.gif
post #7914 of 14952
Quote:
Originally Posted by elwappo99 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Camper View Post


While I was over at preproman's overkill audio store biggrin.gif, we were doing some listening on the F1 with the HE-6 and LCD-3. You want to hear a clear difference in quality, listen to some bass strong hip hop. The 6s were clear and strong with startling bass impact. The LCDs seemed muffled by comparison. Big bass but not as detailed as the 6s and couldn't compete in the mids/highs. Preproman has the HE-6, 5le, 500, 400 & 4 on hand and boy, what a stable of cans. Also arrived were the HD-600 and now I understand why the SP amps held such a popular position as the Senns readily display the sound of tubes. If not for preproman's passion for all things audio/video, I'd not have the opportunity to live with so many flagship headphones. I'm coming to the realization that with proper component matching, there are a lot of outstanding sounding headphones. I'm using the T-1s now and while not the HD-800, they may be preferred by some because they remind me more of the HD 6xx series than the 800s.

Man, I love this hobby and it's more special when like minded hobbyists get together. Thank you all for making my most favored passion so much more enjoyable. To you Mr. Overkill, outstanding. beerchug.gif

 

 

Reading through this post all I could think of was "preproman is hosting a multi-day sleepover?!?!?!"

 

Shhhhh...wink_face.gif let's quietly recruit the best caterer in the region this summer and bribe him. very_evil_smiley.gif

post #7915 of 14952

Which speaker amp fit the best with the HE6 ?

post #7916 of 14952

Sky's the limit and trial on error..

 

I happen to like my F1J with the HE-6.  Some of the best bass I've heard out of a headphone thus far.

post #7917 of 14952
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hun7er View Post

Which speaker amp fit the best with the HE6 ?

Do you have a budget to work to?. TP60 is bang for buck....
post #7918 of 14952
Quote:
Originally Posted by preproman View Post

Sky's the limit and trial on error..

I happen to like my F1J with the HE-6.  Some of the best bass I've heard out of a headphone thus far.
I think it depends on what you value most in your sound as to what amps provide it best. As for shear dynamic performance, I'd have to agree with prepro. As for spacious soundstage and very refined sound, that I600 still holds my respect. I'd like to hear what Wuwhere is hearing on his tube amps as well as Dr. Robert's BAT. Oh so many possibilities, so little money. mad.gif
post #7919 of 14952
Quote:
Originally Posted by preproman View Post

Sky's the limit and trial on error..

 

I happen to like my F1J with the HE-6.  Some of the best bass I've heard out of a headphone thus far.

 

I agree. There are so many good speaker amps out there, past and present, a lot more than hp amps. Not just manufacturers but also models from the same manufacturers. With the exception of Stax, most headphone amps were manufactured just the past 10 or so years?

post #7920 of 14952
Quote:
Originally Posted by preproman View Post

Sky's the limit and trial on error..

 

I happen to like my F1J with the HE-6.  Some of the best bass I've heard out of a headphone thus far.

 

Man i cant wait to hear it again now that it has been updated!

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: High-end Audio Forum
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone