Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone - Page 526

post #7876 of 14887
Quote:
Originally Posted by FUFox View Post

Have some one tried He-6 with Taboo Decware ? I think it may be good combination. 

 

I have used 1st watt F1 with my He-6, it is good, however, sometimes, I feel it reproduce an 'artificial sound' - not musical. It does not only mean dry but... 

I used it for about six months. The reason I had Steve design it was for planars but playing large scale recordinfgs the decare taboo runs out of steam and clips on the he6. The amp will only put out about 750MW into the he6 load not nearly enough for classical recordings. Its OK for small acoustic recordings but the he6 performs best with 15 watts of power.

post #7877 of 14887
Quote:
Originally Posted by FUFox View Post

Have some one tried He-6 with Taboo Decware ? I think it may be good combination. 

 

I have used 1st watt F1 with my He-6, it is good, however, sometimes, I feel it reproduce an 'artificial sound' - not musical. It does not only mean dry but... 

 

Well, I'm getting my F1 back from Nelson - he's converting it into a F1J and also doing a few extra things.  Read below from Nelson about my F1: It's in the air now and will be back home next week.  I can't wait the hear it.  I'll keep everyone posted.

 

In addition to replacing the power supply board, I took the liberty of using
some of my SJDPR110 devices, which are the Depletion-mode part equivalents
to the R100’s that I have been using.  This makes it a one-of-a-kind piece, a
science project, if you will.  These Jfets operate at a different bias point which turns
out to be about 0 volts bias in this circuit and they have a little more “SIT-like” character
than the R100’s.
 
I have to say that I really liked the result, and I think you will also.  All of the measured
characteristics are better than the R100’s, but the sound has some extra special
“something” in the warmth and depth department.
post #7878 of 14887


I am so looking forward to this..........
post #7879 of 14887

That's rolling transistors. It should sound good.


Edited by wuwhere - 1/20/13 at 11:03am
post #7880 of 14887

I just want to share a listening experience I had with the he-6 recently. But first I'll give a brief history of my personally journey with them. I've long been a proponent of the he-6 sounding best with speaker amps. In fact, I came to that conclusion before they landed to my house based on my experience with previous hifiman orthos I've owned. And given these were going to be more inefficient than even the he-5, I already had planned on paring them with speaker amps. So now that I've got that out of the way, a friend of mine(headfi user The Wuss) got them around the same time I did. And both of our journeys were very different. Some of the amps he used were little dot mkvi, spl phonitor and such. At the time he thought the mkvi could drive them and thought they sounded really good. He also liked them with the phoniter, and loved the soundstage they had off the phonitor, but always thought something was missing. And as a result, he had them ranked behind his lcd2, and T1.

 

I had went through about 10-15 amps with many of them being vintage, and each one had the strengths and weakness, but I was already under the impression that these headphones were pretty special. So one night we had a two person meet, and he listened to them off a pioneer sx1010 I had at the time. I told him out of all of my amps, I would have ranked the sx1010 last, but it still did a great job driving them. His jaw literally hit the floor. It was like hearing them for the first time. So this eventually led to him getting the dark star. And when we met again, we both determined the dark star was the best we ever hear the he-6. But with how drastic the changes were going from one amp to another we also surmised that we probably still haven't heard the best of the he-6.

 

The dark star was the first(and to this point the only) dedicated headphone amp that I had listened to that could match and even beat a "good" speaker amp with the he-6, and although I've come to own a couple of speaker amps I like better than the dark star, that combo is just simply magical and amazing. He also owns the lcd-3, and I hold them in very high regard. They are the second best headphone I ever listened to next to the he-6. But on the darkstar, they still are on the same playing field with the lcd-3s doing a couple of things better, and the he-6 doing quiet a few things better. But the dark star is good enough for me to prefer them both to the r10 which is still the best pair of dynamic cans I ever listened to.

 

Now all of this brings me to our most recent meet. Brent recently purchased an audio research vsi60 with the sole purpose of using it as a speaker amp for his new harbeth hl5. He has no intentions of it being an he6 amp. He really adores the dark star, and that amp  is end game for him(I can't really argue with him). But given my recent experience with a couple of amps I have, I told him he should at least try it, and that I believe that amp on the he-6 would be on another level than even his dark star.

 

The he-6 he has been hard wired and terminated with two 3pin xlrs, so they were a no go with his 4 pin xlr to banana plug adapter, so I had to bring mine. What we heard that night was nothing less than stunning(well not for me). On the dark star, I slightly preferred the he-6 to the lcd-3, but on the AR, it wasn't even close for me. The mids were the most realistic I've heard from any transducer, and that includes a pair of 40,000.00 jm lab utopias(those were the previous best for me). There was no treble tilt was so ever, and the bass had unlimited extension. The bass was even better than the lcd-3 for me. images were coming at me from all over the room. It was simply the best sound I ever heard in my life, and with all of the 20,000.00+ speakers I've listened to and headphones I've both owned and listened to, that's really saying something.

 

So by the end of the night, we both said that same thing we have said previously. And that was, I bet we still haven't heard the best of the he-6. We both began to throw out hypotheticals like, 20,000.00 tube monoblocks, and 20,000.00 sources etc. Or even 10,000.00 monoblocks and sources. This is a headphone, that I believe that has virtually unlimited potential unlike any headphone I've ever encountered. Sorry for the long soliloquy, but I just wanted to share.

post #7881 of 14887
Quote:
Originally Posted by moodyrn View Post

I just want to share a listening experience I had with the he-6 recently. But first I'll give a brief history of my personally journey with them. I've long been a proponent of the he-6 sounding best with speaker amps. In fact, I came to that conclusion before they landed to my house based on my experience with previous hifiman orthos I've owned. And given these were going to be more inefficient than even the he-5, I already had planned on paring them with speaker amps. So now that I've got that out of the way, a friend of mine(headfi user The Wuss) got them around the same time I did. And both of our journeys were very different. Some of the amps he used were little dot mkvi, spl phonitor and such. At the time he thought the mkvi could drive them and thought they sounded really good. He also liked them with the phoniter, and loved the soundstage they had off the phonitor, but always thought something was missing. And as a result, he had them ranked behind his lcd2, and T1.

 

I had went through about 10-15 amps with many of them being vintage, and each one had the strengths and weakness, but I was already under the impression that these headphones were pretty special. So one night we had a two person meet, and he listened to them off a pioneer sx1010 I had at the time. I told him out of all of my amps, I would have ranked the sx1010 last, but it still did a great job driving them. His jaw literally hit the floor. It was like hearing them for the first time. So this eventually led to him getting the dark star. And when we met again, we both determined the dark star was the best we ever hear the he-6. But with how drastic the changes were going from one amp to another we also surmised that we probably still haven't heard the best of the he-6.

 

The dark star was the first(and to this point the only) dedicated headphone amp that I had listened to that could match and even beat a "good" speaker amp with the he-6, and although I've come to own a couple of speaker amps I like better than the dark star, that combo is just simply magical and amazing. He also owns the lcd-3, and I hold them in very high regard. They are the second best headphone I ever listened to next to the he-6. But on the darkstar, they still are on the same playing field with the lcd-3s doing a couple of things better, and the he-6 doing quiet a few things better. But the dark star is good enough for me to prefer them both to the r10 which is still the best pair of dynamic cans I ever listened to.

 

Now all of this brings me to our most recent meet. Brent recently purchased an audio research vsi60 with the sole purpose of using it as a speaker amp for his new harbeth hl5. He has no intentions of it being an he6 amp. He really adores the dark star, and that amp  is end game for him(I can't really argue with him). But given my recent experience with a couple of amps I have, I told him he should at least try it, and that I believe that amp on the he-6 would be on another level than even his dark star.

 

The he-6 he has been hard wired and terminated with two 3pin xlrs, so they were a no go with his 4 pin xlr to banana plug adapter, so I had to bring mine. What we heard that night was nothing less than stunning(well not for me). On the dark star, I slightly preferred the he-6 to the lcd-3, but on the AR, it wasn't even close for me. The mids were the most realistic I've heard from any transducer, and that includes a pair of 40,000.00 jm lab utopias(those were the previous best for me). There was no treble tilt was so ever, and the bass had unlimited extension. The bass was even better than the lcd-3 for me. images were coming at me from all over the room. It was simply the best sound I ever heard in my life, and with all of the 20,000.00+ speakers I've listened to and headphones I've both owned and listened to, that's really saying something.

 

So by the end of the night, we both said that same thing we have said previously. And that was, I bet we still haven't heard the best of the he-6. We both began to throw out hypotheticals like, 20,000.00 tube monoblocks, and 20,000.00 sources etc. Or even 10,000.00 monoblocks and sources. This is a headphone, that I believe that has virtually unlimited potential unlike any headphone I've ever encountered. Sorry for the long soliloquy, but I just wanted to share.

I wish I could hear such setups one day :) One can dream,right? wink.gif

post #7882 of 14887

Doesn't surprise me. Audio Research tube speaker amps are pretty good. I'm using a vintage one too for my HE-6.

post #7883 of 14887
Quote:
Originally Posted by wuwhere View Post

Doesn't surprise me. Audio Research tube speaker amps are pretty good.

i agree!

post #7884 of 14887
Moodyrn, we have traveled a similar road. I've not got to check out a powerful tube amp yet (40w tops) but I have also come to the same conclusion. This headphone is more like a speaker but offers all the benefits of a headphone. I'd really like to hear the AN el-84 amp specifically made for the HE-6.
post #7885 of 14887

That Audio Research VSI60 is very conservatively rated at 50wpc with 6550C output tubes when they first came out. Now Audio Research uses KT120s output tubes, which are even more powerful than the 6550Cs.

post #7886 of 14887
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Camper View Post

Moodyrn, we have traveled a similar road. I've not got to check out a powerful tube amp yet (40w tops) but I have also come to the same conclusion. This headphone is more like a speaker but offers all the benefits of a headphone. I'd really like to hear the AN el-84 amp specifically made for the HE-6.

The most powerful tube amp I've used is a vintage fisher transformer coupled which is only 25wpc. I loved the tonality with the he6, but it just don't have the power and finesse the solid state amps I've tried have. But I'm now on the look out for a good least 50wpc tube amp. The AR amp Brent has was like a combo of my tube amp and my solid state integrated all in one.

Out of all of my 2500+ post, that was probably my longest one biggrin.gif
post #7887 of 14887

Get a tube amp with 6550s, KT88, KT90 or with the newer and more powerful KT120 output tubes. The EL tubes are not as powerful as the tubes I listed. I would love to use the KT120s in my amp but their transformers cannot output the current needed by the KT120s.

post #7888 of 14887
Quote:
Originally Posted by moodyrn View Post
This is a headphone, that I believe that has virtually unlimited potential unlike any headphone I've ever encountered. Sorry for the long soliloquy, but I just wanted to share.

 

Great post.  I feel the exact same way.  Happy Camper and I are on the exact same quest.  We took our HE-6s to the local audio store and hooked them up to a TOL Sim Audio integrated.  But still saying the same thing.  This is a hard fish to fry.  We have not seen the best yet.  I'm looking into a pair of F4 (all current no voltage gain) amps.  However, I'll need a good preamp to provide the voltage gain. 

post #7889 of 14887

I know if we made posts like this in other threads we will all be called nuts(well that has already happen by a few biggrin.gif). That's why most of my posts about the he-6 is limited to this thread. Brent and I both said many many people have no idea of how good the he-6 can sound. And keep in mind he owns not only the dark star, but the peak/volcano and has owned the liquid fire. So it's not like he hasn't properly amped his other headphones which includes the he-500, lcd-3, shure 1840, and hd800 which he's a huge fan of. But we both agree the he-6 is just special.

post #7890 of 14887

As we speak - My F1J just arrived at my door .biggrin.gif   Can't wait until this baby warms up.  I'll hook it all up and use the M51 as the DAC and preamp.  It has a 35bit digital volume control I'll see how this does.  I'll report back in a few days..

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: High-end Audio Forum
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone