Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone - Page 500

post #7486 of 13985

Glad I got the he-6's ,,,used,..$900.00

Couldn't be  happier..

post #7487 of 13985

HE-6 use to fit my just head fine.  I know some who left it was too clampy/small.  If you're doing a review, remember that there are those for whom the HE-6 fit just fine.  Also, the ergonomics/weight distribution is so much better than the other planar brand.

post #7488 of 13985

No,mine fit just fine..

 

Tnx

post #7489 of 13985
Quote:
Originally Posted by sphinxvc View Post

HE-6 use to fit my just head fine.  I know some who left it was too clampy/small.  If you're doing a review, remember that there are those for whom the HE-6 fit just fine.  Also, the ergonomics/weight distribution is so much better than the other planar brand.

 

From personal use I'd probably have to disagree, Audezé has a better more comfortable fit on my head, and my personal Fostex pair is one of the most comfortable headphones I own. I don't find the HE-6s uncomfortable though, I've had them on my head for 6 or so hours now and I have no pain to speak of, just slight clamping pressure above my ears. It could do with a bit more padding on the headband though due to the weight. I'm also not a fan of the removeable cables exit the headphone straight down, seems to catch my shoulder when I turn my head.

 

Sound wise I'm using a Beta22, WA6, Burson 160D and Objective2, I'll be completely honest when I say the difference between the Beta22 and Objective2 isn't night and day, there's a difference clearly but it's subtle, they aren't nearly as power hungry as I was first expecting or was led to believe. They're very accurate indeed, a little bass-light which was also surprising, or I say bass-light but they aren't missing any bass, it's just not what I'm used to when it comes to orthodynamics. The treble/upper-mids are very well extended, definitely the best treble from a planar magnetic I've heard, imaging and soundstage are so far unimpressive.

 

They are very musical, I've got a few weeks with them to properly listen and get a good impression of the sound on different sources, so far I'm not blown away as much as I am content, I feel they're the kind of headphone you really get to know and appreciate it over a longer period of time, rather than a headphone you put on and immediately love. I want to thank Mark at Highendworkshop for letting me review the HE-6s, lovely chap, I'm very appreciative.


Edited by eltocliousus - 12/17/12 at 3:23pm
post #7490 of 13985

Ah, well there you go then.  It's a total crapshoot.

post #7491 of 13985

They feel uncomfortable when you initially put them on, but I'm not getting any earpinch pain that I usually get, or neck fatigue which I expected from such a heavy can, in hindsight they're not uncomfortable at all over-time.

post #7492 of 13985
Quote:
Originally Posted by eltocliousus View Post

 

 

Sound wise I'm using a Beta22, WA6, Burson 160D and Objective2

 

Objection,  Objection your Honor!!!!!!!!

 

 

400

 

 

No HE-6 should be reviewed on said headphone amps..  Also it really depends on how your B22 is configured.  All B22 are not the same (DIY).

 

The Objective 2 headphone amp??

 

 

400

 

 

Why don't you just ask Mark at HighEndWorkShop to hook you up with a speaker amp for the review?

 

This is outrageous biggrin.gif

post #7493 of 13985
Quote:
Originally Posted by alota View Post

nice.

what amplifier use with the he-6?

it was the new GSX. 

post #7494 of 13985
Quote:
Originally Posted by preproman View Post

 

Objection,  Objection your Honor!!!!!!!!

 

 

400

 

 

No HE-6 should be reviewed on said headphone amps..  Also it really depends on how your B22 is configured.  All B22 are not the same (DIY).

 

The Objective 2 headphone amp??

 

 

400

 

 

Why don't you just ask Mark at HighEndWorkShop to hook you up with a speaker amp for the review?

 

This is outrageous biggrin.gif

 

Haha, I don't think he has any speaker amplifiers or other available, otherwise he may have hooked me up, surely the Beta22 is enough, if you need a Dark Star to do this thing justice maybe it deserves a poor review biggrin.gif. I'd love to try a speaker amplifier, I have a few laying around and my uncle has some from his peak, but I don't trust them with a review unit without the HiFiMAN adapter, if it was a personal pair the amps would already be on my desk!

 

I'm using lower end amplifiers to gauge the difference, so far the WA6, E11 and Burson either clip or don't have enough gain for good listening volume the Matrix M-stage and Objective2 I feel do a pretty decent job considering their price and size, Schiit Lyr I haven't bothered, the Beta22 is obviously the best, I have no idea what specific Beta22 this is, I'll have to have a word with my uncle tomorrow morning and find out, I believe he bought it as his DIY efforts don't exceed recables, from what I know.


Edited by eltocliousus - 12/17/12 at 4:38pm
post #7495 of 13985
Quote:
Originally Posted by eltocliousus View Post

 

Haha, I don't think he has any speaker amplifiers or other available, otherwise he may have hooked me up, surely the Beta22 is enough, if you need a Dark Star to do this thing justice maybe it deserves a poor review biggrin.gif. I'd love to try a speaker amplifier, I have a few laying around and my uncle has some from his peak, but I don't trust them with a review unit without the HiFiMAN adapter, if it was a personal pair the amps would already be on my desk!

 

 

Well,

 

I own a 4ch. fully balanced 8X gain B22.  I also heard these things on about 10 different speaker amps.  My own B22 can't touch them..  I love my B22, it just does not do the HE-6 justice.

 

IMO..  

 

They don't deserve a bad review for their power requirements  - They just need JUSTICE SERVED...  

post #7496 of 13985
Quote:
Originally Posted by eltocliousus View Post

 

Haha, I don't think he has any speaker amplifiers or other available, otherwise he may have hooked me up, surely the Beta22 is enough, if you need a Dark Star to do this thing justice maybe it deserves a poor review biggrin.gif. I'd love to try a speaker amplifier, I have a few laying around and my uncle has some from his peak, but I don't trust them with a review unit without the HiFiMAN adapter, if it was a personal pair the amps would already be on my desk!

poor review for something that can sound so good? Are we reviewing an amp+headphone or a headphone? I mean, I had to buy a proper amp for my HD800, and while I think it is a pain to have to buy a diff amp for these cans, all that matters is how good they can sound, when driven properly. You can get Dark Star, but you can also get plenty of way less expensive speaker amps that will do this HP justice. BTW, new GSX did just fine with them. 


Edited by Cante Ista - 12/17/12 at 4:41pm
post #7497 of 13985
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cante Ista View Post

poor review for something that can sound so good? Are we reviewing an amp+headphone or a headphone? I mean, I had to buy a proper amp for my HD800, and while I think it is a pain to have to buy a diff amp for these cans, all that matters is how good they can sound, when driven properly. 

 

I was only kidding, from what I'm hearing so far I'm impressed despite not giving it "full JUSTICE!!", and from my experience in high-end/flagship equipment the differences are subtle regardless of amplifier which will reflect on the sound as a whole but won't completely change it, I can only work with what I have which is what most who buy such a headphone will be working with.


Edited by eltocliousus - 12/17/12 at 4:49pm
post #7498 of 13985

But you see it's not about being a subtle difference.  It's the poor characteristics that you get from these headphones with something like the Objective 2 and the Burson 160D.  The things you already pointed out.  Bass-light..  No way the HE-6 is bass light.  They can go toe to toe with the best and out play most when it comes to anything bass related.  Imaging.... As you go up in quality power, these will image with the best of them.  They love CURRENT..  The amps you're using can't give it to them.  

 

Carry on with your review

 

I'm just saying..biggrin.gif

post #7499 of 13985
Quote:
Originally Posted by preproman View Post

But you see it's not about being a subtle difference.  It's the poor characteristics that you get from these headphones with something like the Objective 2 and the Burson 160D.  The things you already pointed out.  Bass-light..  No way the HE-6 is bass light.  They can go toe to toe with the best and out play most when it comes to anything bass related.  Imaging.... As you go up in quality power, these will image with the best of them.  They love CURRENT..  The amps you're using can't give it to them.  

 

Carry on with your review

 

I'm just saying..biggrin.gif

 

They're definitely not bass-light when compared to most other headphones, I was just comparing them to the LCD-2s or other orthodynamics that I'm used to, the HE-6s are much more treble present (even a little harsh at times?) when compared to my usual planar magnetic. I was told the Beta22 I'm using is 3-channel epsilon22, I was also under the impression the Beta22 would power them atleast near their full potential, going by some other reviews and threads regarding the HE-6s, but this might be out of date information.

post #7500 of 13985
Quote:
Originally Posted by eltocliousus View Post

 

They're definitely not bass-light when compared to most other headphones, I was just comparing them to the LCD-2s or other orthodynamics that I'm used to, the HE-6s are much more treble present (even a little harsh at times?) when compared to my usual planar magnetic. I was told the Beta22 I'm using is 3-channel epsilon22, I was also under the impression the Beta22 would power them atleast near their full potential, going by some other reviews and threads regarding the HE-6s, but this might be out of date information.

 

 

What's the gain set at?  I find the 3 ch. B22 is a waste.  What is the 3rd ch. doing?  Active ground for what?  But that has nothing to do with the power.  Find out what the gain is. 

 

Oh by the way what DAC are you using?

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: High-end Audio Forum
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone