- 3,474 Posts. Joined 5/2010
- Location: New York City
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
- productHiFiMAN HE-6 Planar Headphonetagged by System, 6/11/10
Related Forum Threads
- LCD-XC vs HiFiMan He-6 Last post on 8/11/15 at 4:48pm in High-end Audio Forum
- HiFiMAN Focus Pads durability concerns Last post on 2/11/15 at 2:40am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- 2nd pair of cans Last post on 1/7/15 at 9:03am in Headphones (full-size)
- HiFiMan he-560 vs he-6 size Last post on 11/18/14 at 8:43am in Headphones (full-size)
- Destroyed my HE-400, what to get now? Last post on 10/24/14 at 1:35am in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 8/6/15
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))Last edited: 7/28/15
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))
HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone - Page 485
Gear mentioned in this thread:
How about this one http://audioengineusa.com/Store/Audioengine-N22#.UJ_a9-Q73fE
Saw it from another thread. It should have enough juice from its speaker tap and a preamp to boot.
Spark more discussion:
"I crunched the numbers for the HE-6 a year ago, and to utilize even 5 watts for a "transient" to be "perfect," that transient would be hitting 150db. Even if your recordings have the world's most abundant dynamic range, that would still put your average listening volume at 100db (at which point you'd STILL be using less than 1 watt). "
I think that would be more than enough. OTL tube amps are almost always current limited into low impedance loads. whereas into the 50ohm load of the HE-6s it will be able to swing a ton more voltage before it runs out of current.
you can see this by their specs
30 watts into 8 ohms
45 watts into 16 ohms
My guestimated math says itll put somewhere between 4-5 watts into the HE-6s, which is about the same as my F1 does
I just swapped the Electro Harmonix KT88EH with GE 6550 solid grey smooth plates in my amp. Very nice, no wonder these tubes are highly sought after. These are GE re-badge Tung Sol 6550 grey smooth plates made in the early 60s, GE never made coke bottle 6550s.
But the Tung Sol 6550 black smooth plates made in the 50s are even supposedly better and expensive.
Edited by wuwhere - 11/11/12 at 1:07pm
This is the only Stratos amp that I know of, from Odyssey Audio.
Unless he has the Hovland Stratos monos.
Klaus of Odyssey Audio does different upgrades, I don't think they are listed on the website. A very popular one is the glass ceiling and the extreme.
I think he will build what a person wants or needs.
(Silent One quietly casts his vote for...Black)
Wu.......please don't talk tubes around a recovering tubewhore, I beg of thee.
Edited by Happy Camper - 11/11/12 at 3:36pm
The HE-400s are to sensitive for this amp IMO. You won't have any play on the volume knob
Black plated tubes were mostly made in the 50s. They tend to sound better and are more durable and more expensive to manufacture.
- HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › LG V10 : New ESS Chipped Flagship Android Phone from LG 25 seconds ago
- › NEW! SONY NW-ZX100 DAP 2 minutes ago
- › Feliks Audio Elise Tube Rolling Guide 6SN7/6AS7G/6080/5998 3 minutes ago
- › Review: Questyle Audio QP1R - With Multiple Headphone and IEM... 3 minutes ago
- › Yamaha hph mt220 thread (Merged) 3 minutes ago
- › Best classical recordings...ever! 5 minutes ago
- › New IEM to buy in Hamburg, Germany 5 minutes ago
- › Aune X1S 32bit DSD DAC worldwide review tour ------reviewers... 7 minutes ago
- › Ibasso Oriolus Hybrid iem 8 minutes ago
- › Introducing Trinity Audio Engineering 9 minutes ago
- › Creative Aurvana Live! 2 Headset with 40mm Drivers and In-Line Mic by earfonia
- › FiiO E10K USB DAC and Headphone Amplifier by younes berrada
- › Audio-Technica ATH-CKW1000ANV Inner Ear Headphones 50th Anniversary... by kameenadesi
- › FiiO EX1 Nanotech Titanium Diaphragm In-Ear Monitors by Tobias89
- › Forza Audioworks IEM Cables by MikePortnoy
- › Axgio Sprint Sound Isolating Sport Stereo Bluetooth 4.1 Headphone,... by Brooko
- › HiFiMAN HE400S by reddog
- › JLab JBuds NEON Metal In-Ear Earbuds with Universal Mic for iPhone... by Zantrill
- › WooAudio WA7 Fireflies by JoeDoe
- › Venture Electronics (VE) Monk by earfonia
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2