- 3,474 Posts. Joined 5/2010
- Location: New York City
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
- productHiFiMAN HE-6 Planar Headphonetagged by System, 6/11/10
Related Forum Threads
- LCD-XC vs HiFiMan He-6 Last post on 3/23/15 at 7:25pm in High-end Audio Forum
- HiFiMAN Focus Pads durability concerns Last post on 2/11/15 at 2:40am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- 2nd pair of cans Last post on 1/7/15 at 9:03am in Headphones (full-size)
- HiFiMan he-560 vs he-6 size Last post on 11/18/14 at 8:43am in Headphones (full-size)
- Destroyed my HE-400, what to get now? Last post on 10/24/14 at 1:35am in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 6/30/15
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))Last edited: 6/29/15
This review will cover the X5ii, comparing it to the Pono player and the original X5. I have a Pono in my possession now. I unfortunately sold my original X5 prior to receiving the review sample,...
Alright, so I am not an audiophile by any means, my entire experience of headphelia is just using cheap IEMs but after trying some expensive beats, I knew I needed something more. And if your like...
This is a review of Audeze EL-8C closed back planar magnetic full size headphones: https://www.audeze.com/products/el-8-collection/el-8-closed-back, with a bonus review of Audeze Deckard desktop...
Preface: Nothing too technical here; just wanted to give my impression as someone that had to "downgrade" from the HE-400's recently and has tried dozens of full-sized cans. I have had these things...
This is my second actual IEM purchase, and I have to say, I'm very surprised. These have a more enjoyable and pleasurable listening experience compared to the Shure SE425, which sounded dry and...
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))
HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone - Page 485
Gear mentioned in this thread:
How about this one http://audioengineusa.com/Store/Audioengine-N22#.UJ_a9-Q73fE
Saw it from another thread. It should have enough juice from its speaker tap and a preamp to boot.
Spark more discussion:
"I crunched the numbers for the HE-6 a year ago, and to utilize even 5 watts for a "transient" to be "perfect," that transient would be hitting 150db. Even if your recordings have the world's most abundant dynamic range, that would still put your average listening volume at 100db (at which point you'd STILL be using less than 1 watt). "
I think that would be more than enough. OTL tube amps are almost always current limited into low impedance loads. whereas into the 50ohm load of the HE-6s it will be able to swing a ton more voltage before it runs out of current.
you can see this by their specs
30 watts into 8 ohms
45 watts into 16 ohms
My guestimated math says itll put somewhere between 4-5 watts into the HE-6s, which is about the same as my F1 does
I just swapped the Electro Harmonix KT88EH with GE 6550 solid grey smooth plates in my amp. Very nice, no wonder these tubes are highly sought after. These are GE re-badge Tung Sol 6550 grey smooth plates made in the early 60s, GE never made coke bottle 6550s.
But the Tung Sol 6550 black smooth plates made in the 50s are even supposedly better and expensive.
Edited by wuwhere - 11/11/12 at 1:07pm
This is the only Stratos amp that I know of, from Odyssey Audio.
Unless he has the Hovland Stratos monos.
Klaus of Odyssey Audio does different upgrades, I don't think they are listed on the website. A very popular one is the glass ceiling and the extreme.
I think he will build what a person wants or needs.
(Silent One quietly casts his vote for...Black)
Wu.......please don't talk tubes around a recovering tubewhore, I beg of thee.
Edited by Happy Camper - 11/11/12 at 3:36pm
The HE-400s are to sensitive for this amp IMO. You won't have any play on the volume knob
Black plated tubes were mostly made in the 50s. They tend to sound better and are more durable and more expensive to manufacture.
- HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › Sony's new flagship 2014 - MDR-Z7 19 seconds ago
- › "The Lab" 23 seconds ago
- › Looking for some good $30-35 IEMs 57 seconds ago
- › Dubstep Girl's Massive 5AR4/5R4/5U4G Rectifier Review/Comparison!... 1 minute ago
- › ***NEW*** Cavalli Audio's Liquid Carbon... a $599 Cavalli amp??? 1 minute ago
- › If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you... 1 minute ago
- › Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread 1 minute ago
- › Upgrading to good speakers. Please help newbie to understand a... 2 minutes ago
- › SONY NW-ZX2 HI-END DAP 2 minutes ago
- › Lets Talk Metal 2 minutes ago
- › FiiO X5 2nd gen Premium Hi-Res DAP by fleasbaby
- › Sennheiser HD 598 by LandonO
- › Audeze EL-8 Closed-Back by twister6
- › Yamaha HPH-MT220BL by RushNerd
- › Klipsch Image X10 Noise-Isolating Earphone by achelgeson
- › Fidue A73 Hybrid Monitor Earphones with universal single button... by krishtrinity1
- › Philips SHE3590BK/10 In-Ear Headphones (Black) by nauhid
- › SoundMAGIC E50 / E50S by RedJohn456
- › Alpha & Delta AD01 by nmatheis
- › Creative Aurvana Live! 2 Headset with 40mm Drivers and In-Line Mic by Sentinei
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3