- 3,468 Posts. Joined 5/2010
- Location: New York City
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
- productHiFiMAN HE-6 Planar Headphonetagged by System, 6/11/10
Related Forum Threads
- Hifiman HE-6 + aftermarket cables (priced to move) Last post on 9/10/14 at 11:08pm in Headphones for Sale / Trade
- MATCHING HEADPHONES, CABLES AND AMPLIFIERS: HARDER THAN IT SHOULD BE (Part 1 of 2) Last post on 8/9/14 at 5:49pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Why would those with HE-6 prefer speaker amps? Last post on 9/16/14 at 12:28pm in Sound Science
- FS: BNIB Hifiman HE-6 HE6 - free worldwide shipping and paypal fees Last post on 6/30/14 at 10:22pm in Headphones for Sale / Trade
- Synergy between first-party amps & headphones Last post on 6/9/14 at 12:46pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 7/25/14
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))Last edited: 7/21/14
Warm sound, good mid, great price Easy to drive compare with other studio headphone, there is shouldn't be too much complaint consider this headphone now only retail about $70 and sound really...
So the Pan Am from ALO Audio. This little guy is pretty dang impressive. An excellently-built, functioning desktop solution that is pretty easy on the eyes too! For the record, I've got the whole...
REVIEW: Brainwavz S5 Specifications: (from Brainwavz site) Driver: 10mm Dynamic Rated Impedance: 16 Ω Frequency Range: 18Hz - 24kHz Sensitivity: 110 dB @ 1 mW Cable: 1.3m,...
Thanks to Greed for a 10-day loan of his Ref 1 set, which I fully burnt-in and auditioned. This set had the uber cable. Super Brief Review (it's all just what my ears heard, if you love your Ref 1...
This review is going to be updated once I receive a balanced cable and use this amp in balanced operation. I figured this amp needed a proper review on here, and there is a lot of good stuff to say...
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))
HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone - Page 485
Gear mentioned in this thread:
How about this one http://audioengineusa.com/Store/Audioengine-N22#.UJ_a9-Q73fE
Saw it from another thread. It should have enough juice from its speaker tap and a preamp to boot.
Spark more discussion:
"I crunched the numbers for the HE-6 a year ago, and to utilize even 5 watts for a "transient" to be "perfect," that transient would be hitting 150db. Even if your recordings have the world's most abundant dynamic range, that would still put your average listening volume at 100db (at which point you'd STILL be using less than 1 watt). "
I think that would be more than enough. OTL tube amps are almost always current limited into low impedance loads. whereas into the 50ohm load of the HE-6s it will be able to swing a ton more voltage before it runs out of current.
you can see this by their specs
30 watts into 8 ohms
45 watts into 16 ohms
My guestimated math says itll put somewhere between 4-5 watts into the HE-6s, which is about the same as my F1 does
I just swapped the Electro Harmonix KT88EH with GE 6550 solid grey smooth plates in my amp. Very nice, no wonder these tubes are highly sought after. These are GE re-badge Tung Sol 6550 grey smooth plates made in the early 60s, GE never made coke bottle 6550s.
But the Tung Sol 6550 black smooth plates made in the 50s are even supposedly better and expensive.
Edited by wuwhere - 11/11/12 at 1:07pm
This is the only Stratos amp that I know of, from Odyssey Audio.
Unless he has the Hovland Stratos monos.
Klaus of Odyssey Audio does different upgrades, I don't think they are listed on the website. A very popular one is the glass ceiling and the extreme.
I think he will build what a person wants or needs.
(Silent One quietly casts his vote for...Black)
Wu.......please don't talk tubes around a recovering tubewhore, I beg of thee.
Edited by Happy Camper - 11/11/12 at 3:36pm
The HE-400s are to sensitive for this amp IMO. You won't have any play on the volume knob
Black plated tubes were mostly made in the 50s. They tend to sound better and are more durable and more expensive to manufacture.
- HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 23 seconds ago
- › FiiO X1, the first high-res DAP for the young ! 50 seconds ago
- › The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread 2 minutes ago
- › [NEW] FiiO E11K Portable Amplifier Info/News Thread (Early... 4 minutes ago
- › Shure SE535 LTD RED 4 minutes ago
- › Diy USb Cable With pure silver sound crackle, noise plz help 5 minutes ago
- › HE-560 With 901 DAP - Questions?? 6 minutes ago
- › Band Name Game II 9 minutes ago
- › Beyerdynamic DT880 Pro & DT990 Pro (Comparison w/ pictures!) 9 minutes ago
- › JH Audio JH-13 PRO impressions thread 10 minutes ago
- › AKG Acoustics K-240 Semi Open Studio Headphones by jerryg
- › ALO Audio The Pan Am by JoeDoe
- › Brainwavz S5 In Ear Headphones by Zelda
- › Tralucent Audio Ref 1 by Kunlun
- › Violectric HPA V281 by saxelrod92
- › Yamaha EPH-100SL Inner-Ear Headphone by lumberjake
- › Schiit Audio Ragnarok by goldendarko
- › Ultimate Ears UE9000 Noise-Cancelling Wireless Headphones by SennsAsian
- › Crystal by MEElectronics In-Ear Headphones with Microphone Made... by indieman
- › Fidue A31s by djvkool
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Exercise Headphones)