- 3,468 Posts. Joined 5/2010
- Location: New York City
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
- productHiFiMAN HE-6 Planar Headphonetagged by System, 6/11/10
Related Forum Threads
- Auralic Taurus Last post on 9/22/14 at 9:12pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Hifiman HE-6 Replacement Schedule Last post on 9/21/14 at 10:24am in Headphones (full-size)
- Would a Meier Corda Prehead MK2 SE drive a HE-6? Last post on 9/22/14 at 6:11am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Hifiman HE-6 + aftermarket cables (priced to move) Last post on 9/26/14 at 7:22pm in Headphones for Sale / Trade
- MATCHING HEADPHONES, CABLES AND AMPLIFIERS: HARDER THAN IT SHOULD BE (Part 1 of 2) Last post on 8/9/14 at 5:49pm in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 7/25/14
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))Last edited: 7/21/14
There aren't many sub-$10 IEMs in the market. With all the recent budget IEMs being priced at around $50, it leaves very little choice for people who are looking for a very cheap IEM. As far as I...
Since I was among the early adopters of this updated 2.0 version of R3, I already posted a detailed review with pictures in the original R3 review thread. Therefore, I'm just going to provide a...
Im probably like you right now, I was once reading reviews a bunch of comments, watching a bunch of videos of what to purchase... and everyone kept suggesting the ATH-M50x, so in a frantic search...
First I'd like to thank Brainwavz for the opportunity to review these. As others did, I received a review pair to keep. It was a very generous gesture. Plenty of people have already posted all the...
Comply foam tip should need no introduction at this point, as it has become a norm for many brand name IEM to include a pair of them. But what we are talking here is something new – or should I say...
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))
HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone - Page 485
Gear mentioned in this thread:
How about this one http://audioengineusa.com/Store/Audioengine-N22#.UJ_a9-Q73fE
Saw it from another thread. It should have enough juice from its speaker tap and a preamp to boot.
Spark more discussion:
"I crunched the numbers for the HE-6 a year ago, and to utilize even 5 watts for a "transient" to be "perfect," that transient would be hitting 150db. Even if your recordings have the world's most abundant dynamic range, that would still put your average listening volume at 100db (at which point you'd STILL be using less than 1 watt). "
I think that would be more than enough. OTL tube amps are almost always current limited into low impedance loads. whereas into the 50ohm load of the HE-6s it will be able to swing a ton more voltage before it runs out of current.
you can see this by their specs
30 watts into 8 ohms
45 watts into 16 ohms
My guestimated math says itll put somewhere between 4-5 watts into the HE-6s, which is about the same as my F1 does
I just swapped the Electro Harmonix KT88EH with GE 6550 solid grey smooth plates in my amp. Very nice, no wonder these tubes are highly sought after. These are GE re-badge Tung Sol 6550 grey smooth plates made in the early 60s, GE never made coke bottle 6550s.
But the Tung Sol 6550 black smooth plates made in the 50s are even supposedly better and expensive.
Edited by wuwhere - 11/11/12 at 1:07pm
This is the only Stratos amp that I know of, from Odyssey Audio.
Unless he has the Hovland Stratos monos.
Klaus of Odyssey Audio does different upgrades, I don't think they are listed on the website. A very popular one is the glass ceiling and the extreme.
I think he will build what a person wants or needs.
(Silent One quietly casts his vote for...Black)
Wu.......please don't talk tubes around a recovering tubewhore, I beg of thee.
Edited by Happy Camper - 11/11/12 at 3:36pm
The HE-400s are to sensitive for this amp IMO. You won't have any play on the volume knob
Black plated tubes were mostly made in the 50s. They tend to sound better and are more durable and more expensive to manufacture.
- HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › Hifiman he-400i Impressions and Discussion 3 seconds ago
- › Band Name Game II 12 seconds ago
- › Comfortable closed cans for less than $200 1 minute ago
- › The discovery thread.! NEW sfwalcer's earphone comparo PG 1727.... 1 minute ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 2 minutes ago
- › Sony's new flagship 2014 - MDR-Z7 3 minutes ago
- › New Schiit! Ragnarok and Yggdrasil 5 minutes ago
- › Bowers & Wilkins P7 - over the ear headphones 5 minutes ago
- › Philips A5-PRO "Armin Van Buuren Collaboration" (Owners and... 6 minutes ago
- › You Know You're an Audiophile When.. Version 2! 7 minutes ago
- › MEElectronics M9-BK Hi-Fi Sound-Isolating Earphones (Black) by lin0003
- › Brainwavz R3 Revised Edition by twister6
- › Audio-Technica ATH-M50x by Michaelc136
- › Brainwavz S5 In Ear Headphones by Kamakahah
- › Comply Custom Wraps by ClieOS
- › Bowers & Wilkins P5 Mobile Headphones by twister6
- › FiiO E17 by DwightLooi
- › FIDUE A81 In-Ear Noise Isolating Earphones Heaphones with High-End... by Brooko
- › Audeze LCD2 Planar Magnetic Headphones by monitorlove
- › Sennheiser MOMENTUM On-Ear Headphone by ballbarn
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)