Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone - Page 483

post #7231 of 14944

Yea, I know, I know. For some reason I am skeptical. And I really want to believe the speaker amp rumor mill isn't true. (I don't wanna be broke, ya know).

 

Keep hearing such good things about the HD800 and Mojo. So I'll be interested in hearing those direct impressions.

I'd also be interested in how you find Mojo and HE-6 to fare. Since you also found Lyr to be "adequate" or something. wink_face.gif

 

Also, honestly not a fan on these stupid filter things. Just look at the PWD. But if you're enjoying it and finding improved quality, then more to ya!

post #7232 of 14944
Quote:
Originally Posted by paradoxper View Post

Yea, I know, I know. For some reason I am skeptical. And I really want to believe the speaker amp rumor mill isn't true. (I don't wanna be broke, ya know).

 

Keep hearing such good things about the HD800 and Mojo. So I'll be interested in hearing those direct impressions.

I'd also be interested in how you find Mojo and HE-6 to fare. Since you also found Lyr to be "adequate" or something. wink_face.gif

 

Also, honestly not a fan on these stupid filter things. Just look at the PWD. But if you're enjoying it and finding improved quality, then more to ya!

 

LOL.  Jason has punishment to deliver to every wallet....

 

Yeah, I'm very interested to see what the HD800 can really do on a well matched amp.  And yeah, there's definitely some testing with HE-6 to do.  Lyr was indeed adequate, but HD800 showed that the power limitation was indeed the limitation with HE-6. (I.E. HD800 revealed more detail through Lyr than HE-6, meaning that the detail loss of HE-6 wasn't simply due to being an undetailed amp but because it was short-changing it's current reserves or not swinging enough voltage.)  MJ doubles that power at 5W so it should be more even ground.  Should be an interesting test.

 

Regarding filters, for the most part the idea is silly, however being able to select it does have value.  Normally a DAC should have a sharp filter (steep drop in the treble) for 44.1 to get rid of the ultrasonics from the D/A process.  However upsampling DACs have a slow filter because the upsampling process actually has the effect of treble attenuation to begin with.  So it more slowly rolls off.  Theoretically that's the advantage of an upsampling DAC, smoother sound due to a slow filter rolloff rather than a brick wall filter.  So on paper it shouldn't be a filter toggle to "play with it and change the sound" so much as toggling it to the appropriate setting for how your upstream source is processing the signal.  If your transport/EQ/PC is doing upsampling (or oversampling) slow is the right match, otherwise if it's all native, sharp is the appropriate setting.

 

Personally I tend to prefer sharp whether I'm upsampling or not with HE-6, despite that slow + upsampling should be a bit more analog sounding. If you're not doing any processing upstream, sharp is the only valid setting. Maybe because HE-6 is a bit over-excited in the upper treble to begin with, well outside the fatigue range, but I'm guessiing that means the sharp rolloff isn't causing as much rolloff as on a speaker without as strong an upper-end.

 

At first I thought it was a silly feature until I started playing more with processing and conversion and realized it's nice to have two filters to match with the upstream signal.  FWIW, the filters are a function of the TI chip.


Edited by IEMCrazy - 11/6/12 at 10:19am
post #7233 of 14944

I got my Stratos.  It is...h u g e.  At least 20% bigger than my F3 clone.  

 

Really want to try an HE-6 on it.

post #7234 of 14944

No pix? 

popcorn.gif

post #7235 of 14944
Quote:
Originally Posted by sphinxvc View Post

I got my Stratos.  It is...h u g e.  At least 20% bigger than my F3 clone.  

 

Really want to try an HE-6 on it.

 

 

Did you get any upgrades or is it stock?

post #7236 of 14944
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent One View Post

No pix? 

popcorn.gif

 

This is the only Stratos amp that I know of, from Odyssey Audio.

 

http://www.odysseyaudio.com/products-stratos-stereo.html

 

Unless he has the Hovland Stratos monos.

 

http://gizmodo.com/244051/hovland-stratos-amp-sell-your-house-kids-and-organs-for-rocknroll

post #7237 of 14944
Quote:
Originally Posted by wuwhere View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent One View Post

No pix? 

popcorn.gif

 

This is the only Stratos amp that I know of, from Odyssey Audio.

 

http://www.odysseyaudio.com/products-stratos-stereo.html

 

Unless he has the Hovland Stratos monos.

 

http://gizmodo.com/244051/hovland-stratos-amp-sell-your-house-kids-and-organs-for-rocknroll

 

Thanks. Yes, the former is a rather big block. Hope a local HE-6ixer hops the train for a mini mini-meet with sphinxvc.

post #7238 of 14944
Quote:
Originally Posted by sphinxvc View Post

I got my Stratos.  It is...h u g e.  At least 20% bigger than my F3 clone.  

 

Really want to try an HE-6 on it.

 

That is pretty beastly then. I thought that clone was pretty huge already.

post #7239 of 14944
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent One View Post

No pix? 

popcorn.gif

 

I'll post some later.  smile.gif

 

It dwarfs the table I usually keep my audio gear on.  frown.gif  Need new table/rack.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by preproman View Post

Did you get any upgrades or is it stock?

 

It's got better caps, bigger/better transformer, better fuses, and beefier connectors & wiring.

post #7240 of 14944

Here's a picture of my head-fi rig in it's heyday.  With the neat and abiding F3 visible.

 

1000

 

Here's the Stratos on the same table:

 

1000

post #7241 of 14944
Quote:
Originally Posted by sphinxvc View Post

Here's a picture of my head-fi rig in it's heyday.  With the neat and abiding F3 visible.

 

1000

 

Here's the Stratos on the same table:

 

1000

 

It that a Teddy PSU under the DAC?

post #7242 of 14944

Correct.  It had quite an effect, at least compared to the wallwart.

post #7243 of 14944
Wow sphinxpc, that thing would go with the A-gd Ref. 7-1 as matching end tables.
post #7244 of 14944
Quote:
Originally Posted by sphinxvc View Post

Here's a picture of my head-fi rig in it's heyday.  With the neat and abiding F3 visible.

 

 

 

Here's the Stratos on the same table:

 

 

 

Something on that table looks awfully familiar..... wink_face.gif

 

 

Geez that Stratos is huge!  I hadn't realized now big the clone was (glad I didn't buy it!) but that Stratos....  I can only imagine what kind of heat it throws, too!

post #7245 of 14944
Quote:
Originally Posted by IEMCrazy View Post

(glad I didn't buy it!)

 

Trust me, you're not.  wink.gif  

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: High-end Audio Forum
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone