Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone - Page 455

post #6811 of 13016
Quote:
Originally Posted by BournePerfect View Post

I plan on buying a matching Eximus S1 (125W, 500W mono) for my current DP1 as I slowly piece together another speaker rig. First thing on my list after the S1 is to give the HE6 another shot. I'll let you guys know in the not too distant future how this pairing sounds...

 

-Daniel


Now that sounds like an excellent HE-6 rig!

post #6812 of 13016
Quote:
Originally Posted by preproman View Post

No one said anything about being more complicated.  

 

Oh, I thought this guy did.  But after re-reading his post I can't understand most of it, so never mind.  

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zibra View Post

Another ******** is that big, complicated circuit is advantage vs smaller one. 

post #6813 of 13016
Quote:
Originally Posted by sphinxvc View Post

 

Oh, I thought this guy did.  But after re-reading his post I can't understand most of it, so never mind.  

 

 

 

Yeah,

 

I didn't understand most of what he wrote either.

 

 

 

post #6814 of 13016

I took your post 6773 as it. If its only about power nevermind. Drez posted some nice thoughts and its enough.

post #6815 of 13016

I don't know if the Mjolnir brings the HE6 to it's maximum potential but I don't really care. It sounds really good and that's next to my HD800 which is great. So far it is really smooth especially on top. I could really see me owning this and the HD800 together.

 

The first thing is that the weight distribution is so much better than the HE500. I don't know how thats possible but my neck was getting sore after an hour or so with the HE500 but the HE6 is just fine.

post #6816 of 13016
Quote:
Originally Posted by rawrster View Post

I don't know if the Mjolnir brings the HE6 to it's maximum potential but I don't really care. It sounds really good and that's next to my HD800 which is great. So far it is really smooth especially on top. I could really see me owning this and the HD800 together.

 

This is why I have such trepidation about speaker taps. I know it gets better, but at the cost of simplicity. And it's pretty damn good already.

post #6817 of 13016
Quote:
Originally Posted by paradoxper View Post

This is why I have such trepidation about speaker taps. I know it gets better, but at the cost of simplicity. And it's pretty damn good already.

 

I've heard the HE6 off only one speaker amp at a mini meet but from all reports that speaker amp was pretty good. I definitely won't be getting a speaker amp unless it somehow looks like a headphone amp in size. That's the biggest thing with me getting a speaker amp. They are almost never small and that speaker amp I tried was definitely not small. If I already had a speaker amp lying around then it would be different but unfortunately I don't.

post #6818 of 13016
Quote:
Originally Posted by rawrster View Post

I've heard the HE6 off only one speaker amp at a mini meet but from all reports that speaker amp was pretty good. I definitely won't be getting a speaker amp unless it somehow looks like a headphone amp in size. That's the biggest thing with me getting a speaker amp. They are almost never small and that speaker amp I tried was definitely not small. If I already had a speaker amp lying around then it would be different but unfortunately I don't.
Some of us silverbacks have gathered some gear and can experiment.
post #6819 of 13016
Quote:
Originally Posted by rawrster View Post

 

I've heard the HE6 off only one speaker amp at a mini meet but from all reports that speaker amp was pretty good. I definitely won't be getting a speaker amp unless it somehow looks like a headphone amp in size. That's the biggest thing with me getting a speaker amp. They are almost never small and that speaker amp I tried was definitely not small. If I already had a speaker amp lying around then it would be different but unfortunately I don't.

My problem is if you're gonna build a speaker amp around the HE-6 might as well do it right. Lots of monoblock

love or hype/hyperbole. I want to hear about more "high-end" impressions. These Emotiva's and Rotel for example aren't impressive, IMO.

But then, there's the fear of just completely going overkill. Such a balancing act to be done.

post #6820 of 13016
The Emotiva I have is small & inexpensive.
I chose that amp due to few recommendations from guys who own it,and it is the only speaker amp that fits on my desktop setup
IMHO,,it gives me about 25% increase in SQ.,for the he-6, OVER ,the MJ.

Emotiva makes good products,& their tech support is highly regarded
Not ,sure why somebody would comment on a amp ,they have never tried or owned
Edited by mikek200 - 10/10/12 at 11:02pm
post #6821 of 13016

My Threshold 400A, Pass X250, Music Reference RM-200, and (yes) a Hafler amp "rang" the bell very, very well when the HE-6 visited me with its owner. Quality amps are the key, it seems to me...as it also pertains to driving quality floor-standing speakers. (Though, whether I would throw my X600 monos at the HE-5LE (mine) or the HE-6 is doubtful.)
 

As you can tell from my choices, I am a bit of an old fart about gear so read accordingly. I am sure there is some fine new gear out there but I've chosen to have it pass me by.


Edited by Mambosenior - 10/10/12 at 11:05pm
post #6822 of 13016
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikek200 View Post

The Emotiva I have is small & inexpensive.
I chose that amp due to few recommendations from guys who own it,and it is the only speaker amp that fits on my desktop setup
IMHO,,it gives me about 25% increase in SQ.,for the he-6, OVER ,the MJ.
Emotiva makes good products,& their tech support is highly regarded
Not ,sure why somebody would comment on a amp ,they have never tried or owned

Well, that's your opinion. I don't think the mono's I heard were even 10% better. And I'm not talking about anything else outside of SQ,

customer service, build quality, etc. It's clear you haven't been keeping up on this thread.

 

Anyways, I can understand space constraints, but in that case go a different route. It's known that mono's give the power for dirt cheap,

this has been discussed ad nauseam. However It'd be nice to hear more options discussed, "higher-end" options.

It seems the Emotiva's are getting much exposure, but I feel there's a lot of hype, comparatively to other gear.

 

I've also heard the Emotiva UPA, so you may want to redact your statement. And to clarify, since there are such assumptions,

the Emotiva's are ok, I'm not saying they are bad. I take the perspective of even the modest of amps that can drive the HE-6 is ok.

It's really about enjoying the music not the gear. However there are more options out there and I'd like to hear impressions.

Perhaps specifically focused on pure Class A.

 

Very few of us will get to own multitudes of any gear mentioned, so I'd just like to put in a request for less Emo monos or 

mono's in general and expand on the almost endless others.


Edited by paradoxper - 10/10/12 at 11:18pm
post #6823 of 13016
Quote:
Originally Posted by paradoxper View Post

Well, that's your opinion. I don't think the mono's I heard were even 10% better. And I'm not talking about anything else outside of SQ,

customer service, build quality, etc. It's clear you haven't been keeping up on this thread.

 

Anyways, I can understand space constraints, but in that case go a different route. It's known that mono's give the power for dirt cheap,

this has been discussed ad nauseam. However It'd be nice to hear more options discussed, "higher-end" options.

It seems the Emotiva's are getting much exposure, but I feel there's a lot of hype, comparatively to other gear.

 

I've also heard the Emotiva UPA, so you may want to redact your statement. And to clarify, since there are such assumptions,

the Emotiva's are ok, I'm not saying they are bad. I take the perspective of even the modest of amps that can drive the HE-6 is ok.

It's really about enjoying the music not the gear. However there are more options out there and I'd like to hear impressions.

Perhaps specifically focused on pure Class A.

 

Very few of us will get to own multitudes of any gear mentioned, so I'd just like to put in a request for less Emo monos or 

mono's in general and expand on the almost endless others.

 

 

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by paradoxper View Post

My problem is if you're gonna build a speaker amp around the HE-6 might as well do it right. Lots of monoblock

love or hype/hyperbole. I want to hear about more "high-end" impressions. These Emotiva's and Rotel for example aren't impressive, IMO.

But then, there's the fear of just completely going overkill. Such a balancing act to be done.

 

 

 

A few points to go over here: 

 

1. Being blatantly rude isn't helping anyone. 

 

2. You obviously haven't been keeping up on this thread since the beginning. There are tons of pairings of monoblocks and speaker amps with these headphones. Only in the last months are the emotiva amplifiers discussed. 

 

3. Go back from page one and start reading. Find the first person to hook up an emotiva. It was me somewhere in mid-July. At that point the HE-6 were well over 2 years old. There's 2  years of comments that came before an impression with an emotiva, which cover a ton of various amplifiers and monoblocks. If you're interested in purely amplification, I'd suggest you also read up on the HE-6 amplification thread. 

 

4. The reason emotivas are discussed a lot is that they provide an excellent price/performance ratio. a $200 emotiva unit (imo) drives the HE-6 better than a $750 Mjolnir. Earlier in the thread (maybe 1.5 years ago) virtue audio amplifiers were discussed more heavily than emotivas are now. They, similarly, provided an excellent price/performance ratio. 

 

5. Have you heard the HE-6 with an Emotiva or a Rotel, and then compared them with a 'high end' monoblock? If not, how can you tell they aren't impressive. There's only a handful of people that currently own HE-6 and emotivas. Did you purchase a unit?

 

I feel it slightly humorous that you complain about 'hype' but your audio equipment exists purely of Schiit Audio coming out of an Apple Macbook. That hype stuff will get ya' 

post #6824 of 13016
I was referring to happy campers ,remark about ,,,,,,,"small" ,,,,,speaker amps,,,and motiva has their mini amp,which I own.
That's what I was replying to.......OK?.......Understand?
post #6825 of 13016
correction........it was Rawster,s post that I was referring to...not..happy camper..
Excuse me,while I go back & re-read the entire thread.
class A,all the way.......,no emo comments please..
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: High-end Audio Forum
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone