Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone - Page 168

post #2506 of 13050
Quote:
Originally Posted by immtbiker View Post



Quote:
Originally Posted by takoyaki View Post

I sent back "HE-6 with the right side not working"  for replacement.
This is evidence of defective.

 

I'm angry that Mr.Fang didn't answer to my questions, and regret what I purchased from Headi-Direct.mad.gif

Dr. Fang is taking a well deserved vacation with his wife in the land where the water is turquoise and the trees have coconuts on them, after finishing the Consumer Electronics Show (CES), and previous to that, working 18 hours a day, finishing his thesis for his doctorate, and running back and forth to China, finishing 5 new hi-end products. If he didn't answer you, there's a damn good reason for it. If you have a defective product, have customer service do a replacement for you. They will ship you a new one from China.
 


What is he studying for his doctorate? Sounds like a damned busy man to me... stopping all that work, let alone the vacation must be a great relief.

post #2507 of 13050

I posted a few days ago about burning in my new HE-6 while I was away.   I commented on the the loudness and poor mileage I got from a 100w Hafler amp.  Although it sounded quite good, I can max out the volume to the Hafler.   Well I got the time to run the HE-6 on my other amps and I think this thing needs current.  Pretty sure I'm pulling things out of my rear here but 30 watts from my old NAD 3020 is just crazy loud and the bass has the slam of wearing kick drums for headphones.  The 3020 is built as cheap as they come but is some kind of high current or current feedback amp if I recall.  Rated to 1 ohm, "Drives a dead short" the salesman said.   Voltage may drive some speakers silly but current may be the thing for the HE-6.  OK, bowels empty.

 

One more thing.  The Little Dot MK VII+ on high gain is pretty good with the HE-6 too.

post #2508 of 13050
Quote:
Originally Posted by sokolov91 View Post
What is he studying for his doctorate? Sounds like a damned busy man to me... stopping all that work, let alone the vacation must be a great relief.

He just received his PhD. in December. Congratulations. Dr, Bian.
 

 

    Quote:

Originally Posted by sunneebear View Post

I posted a few days ago about burning in my new HE-6 while I was away.   I commented on the the loudness and poor mileage I got from a 100w Hafler amp.  Although it sounded quite good, I can max out the volume to the Hafler.   Well I got the time to run the HE-6 on my other amps and I think this thing needs current.  Pretty sure I'm pulling things out of my rear here but 30 watts from my old NAD 3020 is just crazy loud and the bass has the slam of wearing kick drums for headphones.  The 3020 is built as cheap as they come but is some kind of high current or current feedback amp if I recall.  Rated to 1 ohm, "Drives a dead short" the salesman said.   Voltage may drive some speakers silly but current may be the thing for the HE-6.  OK, bowels empty.

We were talking about the Adcom 535 and 545 and one thing that Adcom prides itself on in it's literature, is that it is a high current amplifier. When you are talking ohms law I = E/R, you can mess with the voltage numbers any way you want to get current. More voltage and less resistance, should yield better results. With Power (or wattage) P = E X I, raise the current, lower the voltage and you'll get the same wattage as raising the voltage and lowering the current. Higher current will give you different results.

 

That's how, in the 1970's they advertised boom boxes as being 300 watts. 300 volts and 1 amp will give you 300 watts and so will 30 volts and 10 amps. It was all a deception in the era where more was better.

 

A heavier Cerwin Vega 15" speaker with a 80 oz.magnet would give you tons of "boom", but it was necessarily the same quality "boom" that you got out of a Fender Rhodes keyboard with a built in pair of quality JBL speakers with 2 30 oz. magnets.

 

Just walking down memory lane...Empty bowels are healthy bowels.
 

post #2509 of 13050
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunneebear View Post

I posted a few days ago about burning in my new HE-6 while I was away.   I commented on the the loudness and poor mileage I got from a 100w Hafler amp.  Although it sounded quite good, I can max out the volume to the Hafler.   Well I got the time to run the HE-6 on my other amps and I think this thing needs current.  Pretty sure I'm pulling things out of my rear here but 30 watts from my old NAD 3020 is just crazy loud and the bass has the slam of wearing kick drums for headphones.  The 3020 is built as cheap as they come but is some kind of high current or current feedback amp if I recall.  Rated to 1 ohm, "Drives a dead short" the salesman said.   Voltage may drive some speakers silly but current may be the thing for the HE-6.  OK, bowels empty.

 

One more thing.  The Little Dot MK VII+ on high gain is pretty good with the HE-6 too.


hrm interesting. Something is not right if your 100 watt amp is throwing in the towel so easy. probably best you don't use the two together.

 

 

post #2510 of 13050
Quote:
Originally Posted by immtbiker View Post



Quote:
Originally Posted by sokolov91 View Post
What is he studying for his doctorate? Sounds like a damned busy man to me... stopping all that work, let alone the vacation must be a great relief.

He just received his PhD. in December. Congratulations. Dr, Bian.
 

 

    Quote:

Originally Posted by sunneebear View Post

I posted a few days ago about burning in my new HE-6 while I was away.   I commented on the the loudness and poor mileage I got from a 100w Hafler amp.  Although it sounded quite good, I can max out the volume to the Hafler.   Well I got the time to run the HE-6 on my other amps and I think this thing needs current.  Pretty sure I'm pulling things out of my rear here but 30 watts from my old NAD 3020 is just crazy loud and the bass has the slam of wearing kick drums for headphones.  The 3020 is built as cheap as they come but is some kind of high current or current feedback amp if I recall.  Rated to 1 ohm, "Drives a dead short" the salesman said.   Voltage may drive some speakers silly but current may be the thing for the HE-6.  OK, bowels empty.

We were talking about the Adcom 535 and 545 and one thing that Adcom prides itself on in it's literature, is that it is a high current amplifier. When you are talking ohms law I = E/R, you can mess with the voltage numbers any way you want to get current. More voltage and less resistance, should yield better results. With Power (or wattage) P = E X I, raise the current, lower the voltage and you'll get the same wattage as raising the voltage and lowering the current. Higher current will give you different results.

 

That's how, in the 1970's they advertised boom boxes as being 300 watts. 300 volts and 1 amp will give you 300 watts and so will 30 volts and 10 amps. It was all a deception in the era where more was better.

 

A heavier Cerwin Vega 15" speaker with a 80 oz.magnet would give you tons of "boom", but it was necessarily the same quality "boom" that you got out of a Fender Rhodes keyboard with a built in pair of quality JBL speakers with 2 30 oz. magnets.

 

Just walking down memory lane...
 


For what though?

 

Electrical engineering? Business?

post #2511 of 13050
Quote:
Originally Posted by immtbiker View Post



Quote:
Originally Posted by takoyaki View Post

I sent back "HE-6 with the right side not working"  for replacement.
This is evidence of defective.

 

I'm angry that Mr.Fang didn't answer to my questions, and regret what I purchased from Headi-Direct.mad.gif

 

Dr. Fang is taking a well deserved vacation with his wife in the land where the water is turquoise and the trees have coconuts on them, after finishing the Consumer Electronics Show (CES), and previous to that, working 18 hours a day, finishing his thesis for his doctorate, and running back and forth to China, finishing 5 new hi-end products. If he didn't answer you, there's a damn good reason for it. If you have a defective product, they will send you another one.
 

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by musicman59 View Post

i am thinking in buying a 30 watts per channel in 8 ohms Class A amplifier to have another option to drive my HE-6

Do you guys think that will be enough? I think 30 watts in 8 ohms is around 5 watts in 50 ohms.

 

Today I received my Red Wine Audio Signature 30.2 integrated battery powered home speaker amp, and it drives the HE-6's effortlessly at 10:00.



Sometimes I find you get angry and defensive easily on the topics related to Fang and his products. It seems Fang is a good friend to you, and its all very well. But if you defend him too hard and using aggressive words or phrases towards their customers, the effect is very negative, and IMO is not very helpful.

 

We all very busy and working hard on our own stuff, and lots of us have been through this PHD thing, etc, but the differences are we are customers and we paid them for the products and services. The fact is, although their attitude is very good and more often than not they are kind and trying very hard to solve the problems, but there really are quit a lot of problems with their QC and service in the first place. You are right they will replace the defective headphones because that's what they should and must do. However, whether Fang is on holiday or not, or how "damn good" the excuses are, their customers should be answered no matter, by himself or someone in charge.

 

I like their products and as a fellow Chinese, I'm very proud of what they have contributed, but there is a space to improve and it's only for their good to speak it out.

post #2512 of 13050
Quote:
Originally Posted by sokolov91 View Post


For what though?

 

Electrical engineering? Business?


I think it is something related to chemistry.

post #2513 of 13050

The Adcom GFA 535 is still my top choice but even for it's small size, it's still too big on the table with all the other gear.  I came across the Furman SP20AB in my searches and everything seems right.  Size, XLR ins, volume control, 20w @ 4ohms.  Only thing is I can't seem to find any real info on this thing, just the Furman's print copied on every site.  Can't even tell if it's a class D amp which it may be.

 

Furman front.jpg

 

furman back.jpg

post #2514 of 13050
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jian View Post



Quote:
Originally Posted by sokolov91 View Post


For what though?

 

Electrical engineering? Business?


I think it is something related to chemistry.


 

in that case maybe his next Hi-FiMAN product will be something REALLY ear opening wink_face.gif

post #2515 of 13050
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shahrose View Post



Quote:
Originally Posted by XLR1 View Post



HiFlight helped me secure a good cable to connect my HE-6 to the speaker out from my Marantz amp.  I am finally impressed, extremely impressed, with the HE-6.  The beta22 created enough volume to drive the HE-6, but the sound was thin.  It sounded like I was holding the speakers several inches away from my ears.  An earlier poster described this a sufficient voltage but not enough current.  I cannot say if that is the reason the HE-6 sounded thin with the b22, but it sounds like a good explanation to me.  I still plan some A/B testing against my other headphones, but so far the HE-6 driven by the Marantz sounds like it may be the best headphone I have ever heard.  Of course, to get closer to perfect it could use more ear clearance and less weight.

 

Hey Steve. I find that very hard to believe. It's not a reasonable explanation considering the output of the Beta22, which effortlessly drives cans like the K-1000s. We should ask AMB to provide some hard numbers here, because I'm positive that the Beta has more than enough juice for any headphone in existence. Heck, it drives efficient bookshelf speakers pretty well, and now people are claiming that the Beta is not powerful enough for the HE-6? The deficiencies you've found then, are most likely because of some other component in the chain or from the headphones themselves (IMO).
 


A 3-channel β22 outputs 5.6Wrms into 32Ω I believe. That's just 0.4Wrms short of the upcoming Lyr. 

 

post #2516 of 13050


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillysally View Post


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman59 View Post

Try with you Treasure. I think the WE300B might be more powerful than my EML 330B Mesh and could de part of the difference. 

When did you order your WA5-LE and sent Jack those jacks? I placed my order last June around the third week and got it about mid August.

What is the X-10 cable? Let's try it with the stock so we can compare apples to apples.

 

BTW I already ordered a Zeus HE-6 cable.

 As requested, Treasure's, stock cable and 2Ch stereo red book CD's.

 

Bottom line I would be hard pressed to tell the difference in a A/B blind test between H/L imp. I would have to use this combo for a few days before I could tell a diffidence in a blind test.

What I would say is that using the low imp is a little better because it seems a little smother for the most part, therefor the music flows a little more evenly.

 

The surprise for me was that the X-10 cable didn't make much of a change from the stock cable as were it does when I am using my complete system.The one thing I didn't do was swap back in my WE300B's and compare, not the best thing for my front line tubes to heat up and then cool down then heat back up.

 

I must say that I understand better now what you guys are hearing, however you can do better that's how good the HE6's and your WA5/LE really are. The comparison is like if you where using some nice MP3's (128 bit) then went to some nice SACD's. That said the HE6 does really sound very good but a little less like a Electrostatic Stax headphone and more like a dynamic headphone using the setup you requested.

Please don't shoot the messenger i am just saying it like I hear it.

Success!!!!

 

I ran a glass fiber optical (0.5M) out of my Oppo BD-83SE/NE to my ADG DAC19 DSP1v5 then rca interconnects (1M) out to my WA5LE. The difference this time was I used my optical cable,  bypassed the 2Ch dedicated RCA outs of the Oppo and used my ADG DAC19

I used my treasure 300B and my X-10 HE6 cable (yes they are better than stock).

 

Anyway the balance/positioning (singer/interments) was right on the money.

Great timber, sound-stage, dynamics range, bass, mids, highs, praising, crossover, no dead spots, etc.

The HE6's are now a very even combo of the Electrostatic and dynamic headphones with the setup i used this time.

 

I just could not figure out how there could be as big a difference last night when I just used my Oppo and 2Ch interconnects out to my WA5LE, when I know what the WA5LE and the HE6's can really do, that's why I tried again.

Yes it was not as good as my full system but non the less close enough to put a big smile on my face and that was with out four shoots of tequila.tongue_smile.gif

 

Anyway I think my little experiment just goes to show if you at first don't succeed try and try again. As long as your amp has the power to drive the HE6  you will be rewarded for your effort. wink_face.gif
 

post #2517 of 13050
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jian View Post



Quote:
Originally Posted by immtbiker View Post



Quote:
Originally Posted by takoyaki View Post

I sent back "HE-6 with the right side not working"  for replacement.
This is evidence of defective.

 

I'm angry that Mr.Fang didn't answer to my questions, and regret what I purchased from Headi-Direct.mad.gif

 

Dr. Fang is taking a well deserved vacation with his wife in the land where the water is turquoise and the trees have coconuts on them, after finishing the Consumer Electronics Show (CES), and previous to that, working 18 hours a day, finishing his thesis for his doctorate, and running back and forth to China, finishing 5 new hi-end products. If he didn't answer you, there's a damn good reason for it. If you have a defective product, they will send you another one.
 

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by musicman59 View Post

i am thinking in buying a 30 watts per channel in 8 ohms Class A amplifier to have another option to drive my HE-6

Do you guys think that will be enough? I think 30 watts in 8 ohms is around 5 watts in 50 ohms.

 

Today I received my Red Wine Audio Signature 30.2 integrated battery powered home speaker amp, and it drives the HE-6's effortlessly at 10:00.



Sometimes I find you get angry and defensive easily on the topics related to Fang and his products. It seems Fang is a good friend to you, and its all very well. But if you defend him too hard and using aggressive words or phrases towards their customers, the effect is very negative, and IMO is not very helpful.

 

We all very busy and working hard on our own stuff, and lots of us have been through this PHD thing, etc, but the differences are we are customers and we paid them for the products and services. The fact is, although their attitude is very good and more often than not they are kind and trying very hard to solve the problems, but there really are quit a lot of problems with their QC and service in the first place. You are right they will replace the defective headphones because that's what they should and must do. However, whether Fang is on holiday or not, or how "damn good" the excuses are, their customers should be answered no matter, by himself or someone in charge.

 

I like their products and as a fellow Chinese, I'm very proud of what they have contributed, but there is a space to improve and it's only for their good to speak it out.


Nothing that I said in the above quote is angry or defensive. It is merely fact and information sharing. 

 

...and what does being a "fellow Chinese" have to do with anything. Why is race brought up in this conversation? He could be from Mars if all I care. My responses would be the same.

I do the same thing in threads regarding all of my friends. However, if you feel I should back off, I will take it into serious consideration.

 

Also, your post should have been a personal PM to me and not a post for all to see that is off-topic and airing dirty laundry out for all eyes to see. If you PM'd me, we could have had a discussion about it, and maybe I would see your side without having to get defensive because you posted it here.

 

Als, if takoyaki stated that he already sent his in for replacement, that means that he spoke to someone in the company that authorized the return and the replacement. So why be angry?

post #2518 of 13050


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillysally View Post


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman59 View Post

Try with you Treasure. I think the WE300B might be more powerful than my EML 330B Mesh and could de part of the difference. 

When did you order your WA5-LE and sent Jack those jacks? I placed my order last June around the third week and got it about mid August.

What is the X-10 cable? Let's try it with the stock so we can compare apples to apples.

 

BTW I already ordered a Zeus HE-6 cable.

 As requested, Treasure's, stock cable and 2Ch stereo red book CD's.

 

Bottom line I would be hard pressed to tell the difference in a A/B blind test between H/L imp. I would have to use this combo for a few days before I could tell a diffidence in a blind test.

What I would say is that using the low imp is a little better because it seems a little smother for the most part, therefor the music flows a little more evenly.

 

The surprise for me was that the X-10 cable didn't make much of a change from the stock cable as were it does when I am using my complete system.The one thing I didn't do was swap back in my WE300B's and compare, not the best thing for my front line tubes to heat up and then cool down then heat back up.

 

I must say that I understand better now what you guys are hearing, however you can do better that's how good the HE6's and your WA5/LE really are. The comparison is like if you where using some nice MP3's (128 bit) then went to some nice SACD's. That said the HE6 does really sound very good but a little less like a Electrostatic Stax headphone and more like a dynamic headphone using the setup you requested.

Please don't shoot the messenger i am just saying it like I hear it.

Success!!!!

 

I ran a glass fiber optical (0.5M) out of my Oppo BD-83SE/NE to my ADG DAC19 DSP1v5 then rca interconnects (1M) out to my WA5LE. The difference this time was I used my optical cable,  bypassed the 2Ch dedicated RCA outs of the Oppo and used my ADG DAC19

I used my treasure 300B and my X-10 HE6 cable (yes they are better than stock).

 

Anyway the balance/positioning (singer/interments) was right on the money.

Great timber, sound-stage, dynamics range, bass, mids, highs, praising, crossover, no dead spots, etc.

The HE6's are now a very even combo of the Electrostatic and dynamic headphones with the setup i used this time.

 

I just could not figure out how there could be as big a difference last night when I just used my Oppo and 2Ch interconnects out to my WA5LE, when I know what the WA5LE and the HE6's can really do, that's why I tried again.

Yes it was not as good as my full system but non the less close enough to put a big smile on my face and that was with out four shoots of tequila.tongue_smile.gif

 

Anyway I think my little experiment just goes to show if you at first don't succeed try and try again. As long as your amp has the power to drive the HE6  you will be rewarded for your effort. wink_face.gif
 

post #2519 of 13050

@immtbiker,

 

Sorry for the double post, I skewered up. confused_face%281%29.gif

 

btw; I also have one of those (ex troll) tongue.gif

post #2520 of 13050
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunneebear View Post

I posted a few days ago about burning in my new HE-6 while I was away.   I commented on the the loudness and poor mileage I got from a 100w Hafler amp.  Although it sounded quite good, I can max out the volume to the Hafler.   Well I got the time to run the HE-6 on my other amps and I think this thing needs current.  Pretty sure I'm pulling things out of my rear here but 30 watts from my old NAD 3020 is just crazy loud and the bass has the slam of wearing kick drums for headphones.  The 3020 is built as cheap as they come but is some kind of high current or current feedback amp if I recall.  Rated to 1 ohm, "Drives a dead short" the salesman said.   Voltage may drive some speakers silly but current may be the thing for the HE-6.  OK, bowels empty.

 

One more thing.  The Little Dot MK VII+ on high gain is pretty good with the HE-6 too.



My previous experience with Electrostatic, Electromagnetic or very low sensitivity speakers like the big old ADS M20 and M30 is that they require a lot of current to drive them properly. That is why amplifiers design by Nelson Pass (like Threshold, Pass, Adcom 555, etc) are good for them since they are high current. I saw back in the late 80s early 90s a 500 watts per channel going to clipping driving the ADS M20 because it did not have the right current output.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: High-end Audio Forum
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone