Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone - Page 154

post #2296 of 14883

Ask Duckman
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hottuna_ View Post

The dilemma of the 2 orthos.
I recently had the opportunity to listen to the lcd-2 at a meet. It wasn't the best environment to listen critically but I thought it sounded quite dark.
Not that that's a bad thing as I can see that being advantageous for less fatigue over longer listening sessions.

I do prefer lower volume listening though and the he-6 sounds like just the ticket.

However with all this talk of speaker amps.
I am a little bit worried that my balanced beta22 will not cut the mustard should I decide to get the he-6.

Anyone tried these phones with a balanced b22 yet?
post #2297 of 14883
Quote:
Originally Posted by sillysally View Post



I am not saying ""if you only heard them as I heard them, you would agree with me that they are perfect", nor am I saying your equipment is not good.

However when you say the bass is not up to the level of the LC2 and a little warmer is not a bad thing with the HE6, then that tells me that you may need to tweak your system to bring out these things in the HE6.

This is not a put down, I had to tweak my system because of the two areas you find that could be improved upon with the HE6.

 

As I said I use the LFE channel (.1) in my system along with M/C 5.1/7.1 for my HE6's, of course there is no LFE channel with 2.0 so it becomes a little harder to pick up on the bass (good or bad). Last night I was playing some of my SACD DSD 5.1 channel music recordings and I could not tell the difference between what I was hearing coming from my HE6's and probably the best sub I have ever heard that is at AIX sound studio out in LA.

 

My point here is that I can go and compare the bass/sub from a 2.0 channel recording to a full blow 5.1 channel recording of the same song. Of course there is no comparison in the AQ between the two because of the extra channels plus the LFE channel in a good 5.1 channel recording.

 

Anyway I am not looking to flame you and that is why I included in my last post "I normal wouldn't say that to most, but in your case I am sure you can bring the HE6 to its full potential." .


OK - thanks for that clarification.  I personally think that while it is possible to tweak a system to make the HE-6 a little warmer sounding, this would make the system itself warm sounding, and that would make the LCD-2 warmer still.  From my listening experience, the LCD-2 have more bass weight than the HE-6.  Not more depth, but more weight.  If I tweak the system to give the HE-6 more weight, the LCD-2 would get still more.  The HE-6 has excellent pass quality, and it's bass goes very deep.  But it has a different spectral balance than the LCD-2, and in my opinion it isn't worth changing things to try to make one of my systems alter the HE-6 sound when used with a neutral system.  I have many headphones, so I don't want to tweak my rig for just one. 

 

But that's just me - YMMV.  Cheers.

post #2298 of 14883


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylab View Post



 


OK - thanks for that clarification.  I personally think that while it is possible to tweak a system to make the HE-6 a little warmer sounding, this would make the system itself warm sounding, and that would make the LCD-2 warmer still.  From my listening experience, the LCD-2 have more bass weight than the HE-6.  Not more depth, but more weight.  If I tweak the system to give the HE-6 more weight, the LCD-2 would get still more.  The HE-6 has excellent pass quality, and it's bass goes very deep.  But it has a different spectral balance than the LCD-2, and in my opinion it isn't worth changing things to try to make one of my systems alter the HE-6 sound when used with a neutral system.  I have many headphones, so I don't want to tweak my rig for just one. 

 

But that's just me - YMMV.  Cheers.


btw, I did update my post with what my tweaks are..

 

And yes I agree with what you are saying by not wanting to change a neutral system, and that is also my goal when I do what I do.

Had my changes/tweaks effected my neutral system's sound I would not be using them.

That said I am still making sure that the added DAC is not changing the tone of my system.

And yes I also have many headphones but my preference is to use my best system with what I consider my best headphones and stick with it until something better comes along. The rest is just for backup, how I do need my fix of music and movies to make my life seem normal again.

 

Cheers to you.

post #2299 of 14883

I've ordered a new DAC - the Audio By VanAlstine Vision DAC, in the new tube-MOSFET hybrid configuration.  It will be interesting to see how that impacts the sound of my current DAC, which is also a tube-hybrid AVA DAC but an older one.

post #2300 of 14883

See we do think alike, that sounds very interesting.

Us Chi town boys have to stick together.

post #2301 of 14883
Quote:
Originally Posted by sillysally View Post

See we do think alike, that sounds very interesting.

Us Chi town boys have to stick together.



Absolutely beerchug.gif

post #2302 of 14883

 

How long does it take for Head-Direct to issue the $100 refund for HE-5/HE-5LE owners?  I placed my order yesterday and I haven't even received an order confirmation aside from Paypal's automated email.

 

Thanks

post #2303 of 14883

YES my HE-6 should be getting ordered today... cant wait to hear them through my compass... JK. I will begetting a NFB-10 but for now I will have to use my compass frown.gif

post #2304 of 14883
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoide View Post

 

How long does it take for Head-Direct to issue the $100 refund for HE-5/HE-5LE owners?  I placed my order yesterday and I haven't even received an order confirmation aside from Paypal's automated email.

 

Thanks

From the webpage:

 

 

HE-5/HE-5LE Customer Discount

Previous HE-5LE or HE-5 original customers can get $100 refund. To claim this refund, please email your original HE-5 or HE-5LE receipt, and the HE-6 on line receipt (email from paypal or googlecheckout) to head.direct@gmail.com. Two receipts must have same name and email address. We will do $100 refund after we got your two receipts.

-----------------------------------------------

I got mine back very quickly.

post #2305 of 14883


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by immtbiker View Post



Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoide View Post

 

How long does it take for Head-Direct to issue the $100 refund for HE-5/HE-5LE owners?  I placed my order yesterday and I haven't even received an order confirmation aside from Paypal's automated email.

 

Thanks

From the webpage:

 

 

HE-5/HE-5LE Customer Discount

Previous HE-5LE or HE-5 original customers can get $100 refund. To claim this refund, please email your original HE-5 or HE-5LE receipt, and the HE-6 on line receipt (email from paypal or googlecheckout) to head.direct@gmail.com. Two receipts must have same name and email address. We will do $100 refund after we got your two receipts.

-----------------------------------------------

I got mine back very quickly.


Thanks man, that's what I sent them yesterday.  When you say "very quickly" you mean like same day / a couple of days / a week / a couple of weeks?

post #2306 of 14883
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoide View Post

Thanks man, that's what I sent them yesterday.  When you say "very quickly" you mean like same day / a couple of days / a week / a couple of weeks?
 

It took about 2 or 3 days after I sent them both invoices.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baird GoW View Post

YES my HE-6 should be getting ordered today... cant wait to hear them through my compass... JK. I will begetting a NFB-10 but for now I will have to use my compass frown.gif


Yes, your HE-6 are on their way to my house. At least you have your compass to drive them, I've been trying and failing to drive them with the hope that Audio-GD will ship my order.


Edited by somestranger26 - 1/12/11 at 5:55pm
post #2307 of 14883

My thought was a digital source with a tube amp (or opposite). For you guys with more toys, if you have both setups, mind seeing which gives the better flavor? I'm considering gutting the SP amp (since I'll have no use for it in current configuration) and building a ptp in the chassis, room permitting, to get 5 watts otl.

 

Those AN kits are pretty pricey.

 


Edited by Happy Camper - 1/12/11 at 7:04pm
post #2308 of 14883
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hottuna_ View Post

The dilemma of the 2 orthos.
I recently had the opportunity to listen to the lcd-2 at a meet. It wasn't the best environment to listen critically but I thought it sounded quite dark.
Not that that's a bad thing as I can see that being advantageous for less fatigue over longer listening sessions.

I do prefer lower volume listening though and the he-6 sounds like just the ticket.

However with all this talk of speaker amps.
I am a little bit worried that my balanced beta22 will not cut the mustard should I decide to get the he-6.

Anyone tried these phones with a balanced b22 yet?



No, but I have tried my HE-6 with a 3-board beta 22, gain of 5.  The 3-board is powerful with my other headphones, but in my opinion it falls short with the HE-6.  I plan to hook the HE-6 directly to my speaker amp as soon as I get the right cable.

 

 

EDIT on 2/9/11

Even though I originally complained that my 3 board Beta 22 did not have quite enough power, I have reconsidered.  That was an early quick assessment using some older rock that was not recorded onto the CD as well as the newer CDs.  Also, I like rock loud.  With all the newer recordings and remaster CDs, the B22 is now my first choice, by far.  The sound quality from the B22 is noticably better than the Marantz.  The B22 with the HE-6 is all that I have been listening to for the last week and 1/2.  I do creep the volume up near max, but do not max it out except with a few 20 year old CDs.  Did I mention I like music loud?    


Edited by XLR1 - 2/9/11 at 4:00pm
post #2309 of 14883
Hi Guys,
Relatively new to Head-Fi.. but had been following a couple of threads namely Woo's tube amp and recently HE6 and LCD-2 headphones. Might be signing up to buy the HE6 (before the 15th Jan offer ends) and have some queries that I hope the more experienced user can provide some advice.
HE6 connecting to speaker amp..like Sony N9000ES... will this work ? Any pitfall(s)?
When I order HE6 do I have to specify or order cable/connector for this purpose?
Can I use this power amp until I get a proper headphone amp...
Appreciate all the help/advice I can get. Thanks!

 

post #2310 of 14883

Thank you!

 

These have to be ran with a speaker amp to get what they're capable of instead of what the amp's capable of. Using a desk amp on these are like using a portable amp on some K340s.

 

You don't need to buy a fancy adapter yet. Get a 1/4f to 1/8m adapter about 6" long and cut the 1/8" plug off. Wire it to the terminals (with amp off and vol. at zero), turn it on and prepare to grin til work in the morning. Of course you will long for the moment throughout the day, smitten with giddy anticipation of hearing if what you heard was real or not. This goes on for days, weeks, and gets better as you get familiar with the delicacy of their sound and the dynamic power a speaker amp can deliver.

 

PS

Wait til you get drowsy and hypnotized by the soundstage and clarity of these things. Eargasms!!!!!!


Edited by Happy Camper - 1/12/11 at 8:49pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: High-end Audio Forum
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone