Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone - Page 153

post #2281 of 14934
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylab View Post





From my understanding of the Mini-Torri, in terms of what Steve Deckert told me, the headphone out is identical to the speaker out - just  wired up differently, and with a simple switch between them.  The Leben does use a different tap off the output transformer for the headphone out.



 





Skylab how would compare the speaker outs of your fisher to the Mini torii using the he-6?
Edited by moodyrn - 1/10/11 at 3:01pm
post #2282 of 14934
In brief, the Fisher has more power but is significantly warmer - not such a bad thing with the HE-6, but not purely accurate.
post #2283 of 14934

You do save about $50 or so buying it used. I also think the deal breaker for me was that I found a first generation par form back in May. I think the wood color is MUCH nicer than the new ones that are being shipped out too. The old ones have the cherry stain while the new ones have a very very light oak stain look. The new ones look ugly IMHO. 
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wink View Post

I thing Happy Camper just edges me out in thee hirstute stakes.

 

I'm waiting until I go completely bald, and then grow a beard and wear my head upside down. Well, I do live downunder......

 

To keep this thread on track, I just ordered a HE-6.

The deal breaker for me was that I will eventually get the LCD-2, but at $999 with free international shipping, and price after the 15th escalating to $1199 or more, the HE-6 was the less-empty wallet thing to do.......

 

Most of the S/H LCD-2's and HE-6's on the forums are CONUS, and the ones that aren't are sold before I can grab one.

The prices also are so close to retail that I may as well get a new one.

post #2284 of 14934
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylab View Post

In brief, the Fisher has more power but is significantly warmer - not such a bad thing with the HE-6, but not purely accurate.


Thanks Skylab. I've been debating on whether to try something different. The fisher has a sound a tube fanatic would want. Very lush, smooth and intimate. But the sound isn't neutral, but it does mate well with sound sig of the HE-6s. I'm thinking about trying an amp that's as neutral as the HE-6s are. I would like something with a different flavor since these are so neutral and let you hear the sound characteristics of the amp you mate them with.

post #2285 of 14934


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylab View Post

In brief, the Fisher has more power but is significantly warmer - not such a bad thing with the HE-6, but not purely accurate.


Sorry but I think you need to rethink how your system is setup and maybe try a head amp that can power the HE6.

I really don't see any problem with the bass/LFE Ch, I wouldn't want or think a warmer setup would be any plus at all. If you want to hear what the HE6 can really do you  want to keep it natural.

Also I do think you can somewhat alter the bass of good headphones like the HE6 with your gears.

 

With the HE6 if go for a warmer setup you probably loose some mids and throw off the bass. The bass with the HE6s is simply wonderful with a SACD DSD 5.1 coming from the HE6, also so very well balanced and a great dynamic range. I don't know how you can pick apart the HE6 if you have the right setup.wink_face.gif


Edited by sillysally - 1/11/11 at 5:36am
post #2286 of 14934


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillysally View Post


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylab View Post

In brief, the Fisher has more power but is significantly warmer - not such a bad thing with the HE-6, but not purely accurate.


Sorry but I think you need to rethink how your system is setup and maybe try a head amp that can power the HE6.

I really don't see any problem with the bass/LFE Ch, I wouldn't want or think a warmer setup would be any plus at all. If you want to hear what the HE6 can really do you  want to keep it natural.

Also I do think you can somewhat alter the bass of good headphones like the HE6 with your gears.

 

With the HE6 if go for a warmer setup you probably loose some mids and throw off the bass. The bass with the HE6s is simply wonderful with a SACD DSD 5.1 coming from the HE6, also so very well balanced and a great dynamic range. I don't know how you can pick apart the HE6 if you have the right setup.wink_face.gif


I assume you were talking to Moodyrn - I don't generally use the HE-6 with my Fisher.  I've been running my HE-6 from the speaker outs of my Leben CS300XS - and the sound is fantastic, as I posted above.

post #2287 of 14934

One more surprise from the HE6

 

On Pink Floyd's Pulse DVD there is a High quality 640K audio channel. I went to considerable effort to extract this only to be sorely disappointed when playing it through RS-1's

As soon as it reached any bass the RS-1's fell apart - it overwhelmed the 'phones and sounded flubbery (is that a word!)

 

Anyway last night I was tidying up the PC and came across these tracks. On the HE6 it sound amazing. The bass is so deep you actually feel vibrations but it does not destroy the rest of the song.

 

post #2288 of 14934


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylab View Post


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillysally View Post


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylab View Post

In brief, the Fisher has more power but is significantly warmer - not such a bad thing with the HE-6, but not purely accurate.


Sorry but I think you need to rethink how your system is setup and maybe try a head amp that can power the HE6.

I really don't see any problem with the bass/LFE Ch, I wouldn't want or think a warmer setup would be any plus at all. If you want to hear what the HE6 can really do you  want to keep it natural.

Also I do think you can somewhat alter the bass of good headphones like the HE6 with your gears.

 

With the HE6 if go for a warmer setup you probably loose some mids and throw off the bass. The bass with the HE6s is simply wonderful with a SACD DSD 5.1 coming from the HE6, also so very well balanced and a great dynamic range. I don't know how you can pick apart the HE6 if you have the right setup.wink_face.gif


I assume you were talking to Moodyrn - I don't generally use the HE-6 with my Fisher.  I've been running my HE-6 from the speaker outs of my Leben CS300XS - and the sound is fantastic, as I posted above.


Nope you "assume" wrong, but I guess you have had this discussion with Moodym. And yes I know you use your Leben speaker amp outs for the HE6.

All I am saying is from what you are saying you haven't reached the full potential of the HE6's. I normal wouldn't say that to most, but in your case I am sure you can bring the HE6 to its full potential.

post #2289 of 14934
Quote:
Originally Posted by sillysally View Post

 


Nope you "assume" wrong, but I guess you have had this discussion with Moodym. And yes I know you use your Leben speaker amp outs for the HE6.

All I am saying is from what you are saying you haven't reached the full potential of the HE6's. I normal wouldn't say that to most, but in your case I am sure you can bring the HE6 to its full potential.



I don't know what you are talking about when you say that "from what I am saying" I have not got the HE-6 to their full potential.  If driving them from a world-class 15 wpc speaker amp isn't enough, then I fail to see what is.  And I have said in that application the HE-6 are phenomenal.  So I have no idea what you mean.

 

If I seem annoyed here, it is that I do find it annoying when people say "if you only heard them as I heard them, you would agree with me that they are perfect".  Perhaps that is not what you are saying...but it sure seems like it.  My equipment is PLENTY good enough to evaluate the HE-6 perfectly.


Edited by Skylab - 1/11/11 at 6:57am
post #2290 of 14934

I could settle this once and for all if someone would just send me a Leben wink.gif

post #2291 of 14934

SillySally and I both live in the Chicago area, although I do not believe we have met at any of the meets (if we did, my apologies).  So Grokit, if you are ever in town, please feel free to drop by my place for a listen to the HE-6 on the Leben, and then you can see if you can con SillySally into a visit as well biggrin.gif

post #2292 of 14934

Thanks Sky, if I ever get there I will look you up and bring my ALO speaker tap and Warren Audio balanced XLR cables for comparison!

post #2293 of 14934


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylab View Post



Quote:
Originally Posted by sillysally View Post

 


Nope you "assume" wrong, but I guess you have had this discussion with Moodym. And yes I know you use your Leben speaker amp outs for the HE6.

All I am saying is from what you are saying you haven't reached the full potential of the HE6's. I normal wouldn't say that to most, but in your case I am sure you can bring the HE6 to its full potential.



I don't know what you are talking about when you say that "from what I am saying" I have not got the HE-6 to their full potential.  If driving them from a world-class 15 wpc speaker amp isn't enough, then I fail to see what is.  And I have said in that application the HE-6 are phenomenal.  So I have no idea what you mean.

 

If I seem annoyed here, it is that I do find it annoying when people say "if you only heard them as I heard them, you would agree with me that they are perfect".  Perhaps that is not what you are saying...but it sure seems like it.  My equipment is PLENTY good enough to evaluate the HE-6 perfectly.


I am not saying ""if you only heard them as I heard them, you would agree with me that they are perfect", nor am I saying your equipment is not good.

However when you say the bass is not up to the level of the LC2 and a little warmer is not a bad thing with the HE6, then that tells me that you may need to tweak your system to bring out these things in the HE6.

This is not a put down, I had to tweak my system because of the two areas you find that could be improved upon with the HE6.

 

As I said I use the LFE channel (.1) in my system along with M/C 5.1/7.1 for my HE6's, of course there is no LFE channel with 2.0 so it becomes a little harder to pick up on the bass (good or bad). Last night I was playing some of my SACD DSD 5.1 channel music recordings and I could not tell the difference between what I was hearing coming from my HE6's and probably the best sub I have ever heard that is at AIX sound studio out in LA.

 

My point here is that I can go and compare the bass/sub from a 2.0 channel recording to a full blow 5.1 channel recording of the same song. Of course there is no comparison in the AQ between the two because of the extra channels plus the LFE channel in a good 5.1 channel recording.

 

Anyway I am not looking to flame you and that is why I included in my last post "I normal wouldn't say that to most, but in your case I am sure you can bring the HE6 to its full potential." .

 

Edit, I forgot to say what my tweaks are added to my system. I put a ADG DAC19 DSP1v5 between my SVS Realiser and my WA5LE and a Warren Audio 15' (SE) X-10 cable for my HE6's.

The reason why I added these things was not because of the bass with music soundtracks but because of the bass/sub (the Realiser don't forget has the LFE Ch going to the HP) with BD movies with True HD, DTS HD MA, ect. The dynamic range with these HD movie soundtracks are mostly much bigger than that of music soundtracks, because of things like very low bass explosions were sometimes these types of sound effects can be a little over emphasized for the HE6's to handle..


Edited by sillysally - 1/12/11 at 7:23am
post #2294 of 14934

For the unenlightened among us please define full potential. 

post #2295 of 14934
The dilemma of the 2 orthos.
I recently had the opportunity to listen to the lcd-2 at a meet. It wasn't the best environment to listen critically but I thought it sounded quite dark.
Not that that's a bad thing as I can see that being advantageous for less fatigue over longer listening sessions.

I do prefer lower volume listening though and the he-6 sounds like just the ticket.

However with all this talk of speaker amps.
I am a little bit worried that my balanced beta22 will not cut the mustard should I decide to get the he-6.

Anyone tried these phones with a balanced b22 yet?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: High-end Audio Forum
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone