Just got mine yesterday and so far am impressed. My first thought is they remind me of a cross between my LCD-2 and my departed HD 800. The Apex Peak/Volcano actually drives them better than I anticipated. I have to turn the gain to #12 on my Violectric 200 to drive them. I ultimately plan on driving them with a Leben through the speaker jacks. I haven't searched the thread for this, but one design flaw that I've noticed is the bottom of the screw that holds the headband rubs against the top of the cups when the cups move. Seems like they should have designed with a little more space between the screws and cups. Anybody else notice that? Like I said, I didn't search the thread for the issue so I apologize it it's already been discussed.
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Hifiman HE-4 Impressions Thread Last post on Today at 7:59 am in Headphones (full-size)
- Head-Direct HE-6 Orthodynamic Headphone Last post on 1/21/11 at 6:35am in Headphones (full-size)
- Whatever happened to the HiFiMan dynamic headphone? Last post on 8/1/11 at 7:00am in Headphones (full-size)
- Senn HD650 or HD600? Last post on 10/16/13 at 3:22am in Headphones (full-size)
- Does it get much better than the HD800? Last post on 11/22/13 at 3:37pm in High-end Audio Forum
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 7/25/14
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
Bought the active noise cancelling version of these as a daily deal on Amazon for <$20. Active noise cancelling completely broken on both my original unit and the replacement - so on one hand...
Thanks to Oppo Digital Japan for allowing us to borrow the PM-1 and HA-1. Oppo coming out with a pair of headphones was quite a surprised, especially a pair of planars. Likewise the HA-1,...
Brainwavs are at it again with their new 10mm dynamic driver based IEM named "S5". I must say I was intrigued to try the new sample and where they'd come from Brainwavs B2 I owned many months...
A decade ago; I had bought into the crappy Logitech Bluetooth devices which I swore NEVER to buy again deeming it a bad technology. Ten years later; I now needed an in wireless in-ear device for...
I was looking for a cheap and cheerful, fun sounding closed can for listening at my computer at work and some limited portable use. I typically listen to EDM in this setting and had been using the...
HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone - Page 151post #2251 of 143341/7/11 at 10:54am
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2252 of 143341/7/11 at 11:04am
Yeah, right cup rubs. I've squeezed the pivot arms in a bit to resolve it.
How well does the ZD do with the HE-6?
Edited by Happy Camper - 1/7/11 at 11:06ampost #2253 of 143341/7/11 at 12:39pmQuote:
I haven't had a chance to try them with the ZD. My guess is it will not drive them well since the 200 drives the LCD-2 with more authority and I had to jack the gain up all the way on the 200 to work with the HE-6. I'll let you know after I give them a try (ZD not hooked up now since I have the Peak on loan).
post #2254 of 143341/7/11 at 1:31pmpost #2255 of 143341/7/11 at 3:09pm
Quote:I haven't searched the thread for this, but one design flaw that I've noticed is the bottom of the screw that holds the headband rubs against the top of the cups when the cups move. Seems like they should have designed with a little more space between the screws and cups. Anybody else notice that? Like I said, I didn't search the thread for the issue so I apologize it it's already been discussed.
If you're talking about the part I think you are, there should be a clear silicone disk to keep it from rubbing directly. I would say this is a design flaw, as one of them broke on my HE-5LE and Head-direct replaced them. I did notice that the HE-6 uses clear ones rather than the black ones used on the HE-5LE so maybe they addressed that issue? Who knows.
If you mean there isn't enough clearance for you to move the earcups rather than rotate, so that the screw is hitting the top of the earcup I'd send head-direct an email... that shouldn't happen.
Edited by somestranger26 - 1/7/11 at 3:13pmpost #2256 of 143341/8/11 at 1:33ampost #2257 of 143341/8/11 at 9:54ampost #2258 of 143341/8/11 at 1:03pmQuote:
Yeah, it's nice to have the headroom, not to mention better soundstage. I think these headphones have characteristics similar to speakers, benefiting from that power.
Edited by Happy Camper - 1/8/11 at 1:04pmpost #2259 of 143341/8/11 at 7:30pm
As they should be, the HE6 is a wonderful headphone.
Edited by sillysally - 5/3/11 at 3:33ampost #2260 of 143341/8/11 at 8:52pmpost #2261 of 143341/8/11 at 9:19pm
LoL...Aaron, leave it to you to make this observation. Thanks for the laugh...I needed it tonight.post #2262 of 143341/9/11 at 3:38am
I thing Happy Camper just edges me out in thee hirstute stakes.
I'm waiting until I go completely bald, and then grow a beard and wear my head upside down. Well, I do live downunder......
To keep this thread on track, I just ordered a HE-6.
The deal breaker for me was that I will eventually get the LCD-2, but at $999 with free international shipping, and price after the 15th escalating to $1199 or more, the HE-6 was the less-empty wallet thing to do.......
Most of the S/H LCD-2's and HE-6's on the forums are CONUS, and the ones that aren't are sold before I can grab one.
The prices also are so close to retail that I may as well get a new one.
Edited by wink - 1/9/11 at 3:40ampost #2263 of 143341/9/11 at 4:10am
I want to get the HE-6 since it doesn't look like the Ed. 10 are going to be what I hoped they would be. Too bad because that would also mean I have to get a small but powerful amp for the HE-6. I guess I don't "have" to do anything.
The hair style is very close. Maybe they are related?post #2264 of 143341/9/11 at 7:07am
Did someone knows how to disassemble HE-6 completely? Plastic finish looks so ugly for me, He-5 still untouchable with its wood. I need to disassemble HE-6 completely, take dimesions of plastic earcups and order same but from desired wood from friend of mine.post #2265 of 143341/9/11 at 8:28am
You can't laugh at a serious Larry Fine. Wait a minute.....I'm more bald than Larry with a tool shed, maybe I should put up Curly instead.
John, look forward to your impressions of these if you do get them. If only there were a combination of the HE-6 and the LCD-2, we'd all be in bliss. I miss that bass of the LCD-2.
- HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Headphone Impedance
- › Official Ipod Video / Classic 5g+5.5g+6g+6.5g+7g SSD Mod thread 48 seconds ago
- › VSONIC GR07 Impressions & Impressions Thread 1 minute ago
- › The Deals DISCUSSION Thread (READ THE FIRST POST!!!) 1 minute ago
- › iFi iDSD Micro DSD512 / PCM768 DAC and Headphone Amp. Impressions,... 2 minutes ago
- › Resonessence Labs Concero discussion/review thead 4 minutes ago
- › WTB: ZMF Heaphone 4 minutes ago
- › Soundmagic HP150 impressions thread. 5 minutes ago
- › Toys for Boys 5 minutes ago
- › Audio Technica updates their open headphones "AD" Series: AD2000x,... 5 minutes ago
- › HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone 5 minutes ago
- › Phiaton PS 20 Half In-Ear Premium Earphone (Glossy Black) by DrikTheTroll
- › Oppo HA-1 Integrated Headphone DAC and Amplifier. by Currawong
- › Brainwavz S5 In Ear Headphones by H20Fidelity
- › JayBird BlueBuds X Sport Bluetooth Headphones - Midnight Black by wpfloridian
- › Yamaha PRO 500 by VanCitySound
- › Creative Sound Blaster Z Series ZXR (70SB151000000) Sound Card by Nada190
- › ASUS Essence STX II by raymond555
- › iFi Nano iDSD by elmura
- › AKG K267 by Blinxat
- › AKG K490 NC by MP3guy
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Exercise Headphones)