Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone - Page 150

post #2236 of 15201


Cool.  That's what I assumed, but wanted to be extra sure.  Thank you!
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvrboy View Post



Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfsong View Post

On the stock cable....the ends that screw into the headphones themselves....one has a black dot on it and the other has a red dot on it.  Which end screws into which side?  Red to Right and Black to Left?  Or Black to Right and Red to Left?  May seem like a dumb question.  If so, my apologies.  Just want to make sure I connect the stock cable correctly.  Thanks. 



red = right

post #2237 of 15201

I despise the cable connectors that hifiman uses. It's like F-connectors to connect your TV/cable all over again.

 

First off, I think they should just put "L" and "R" instead of the confusing colored dots on the cable as I'd wondered this when I got my HE-5 a while ago. You would think I'd get used to it after owning the HE-5, HE-5LE, and now the HE-6, but I still had to think about it each and every time.

 

Second, the connectors are impossible to get on: one of them refused to tighten even with pliers, to get it tightened I had to have my friend clamp the heatshrink near the connector with pliers while I turned the nut with pliers. Huge hassle that I shouldn't need to go through with a new pair of headphones (with the possibility of scratching up the connectors)... just connect the damn cables in the factory or use better connectors.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfsong View Post

On the stock cable....the ends that screw into the headphones themselves....one has a black dot on it and the other has a red dot on it.  Which end screws into which side?  Red to Right and Black to Left?  Or Black to Right and Red to Left?  May seem like a dumb question.  If so, my apologies.  Just want to make sure I connect the stock cable correctly.  Thanks. 

post #2238 of 15201

Is there a close-up of the connectors? I am not sure how they work. They screw in? 

post #2239 of 15201

They have a nut that you have to tighten, and it's pretty difficult to tighten all the way without getting some needle nose pliers out.
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamato8 View Post

Is there a close-up of the connectors? I am not sure how they work. They screw in? 

post #2240 of 15201
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nankai View Post



Quote:
Originally Posted by immtbiker View Post



Hey Fang, can you compare the HE-3 to the HD6XX family?

Is it going to be better, equal to, or not as good as the Senns? 

It would be nice to have a HiFiMAN product that gives the Sennheisers and the AKG 701's some competition

in that price range.
 

 

As a small company, we try to make our products have better performance-price ratio.


could the rules regarding MOTs comparing their products to products by other manufacturers be clarified? 

 

i was under the impression that it was not allowed.

 

nothing against the HE6 and Nankai, just thought this should be made clear so other MOTs can compete fairly

 

 

post #2241 of 15201

Well....as I was suspicious of before I even tried, the head out on my Yamaha RX-V3800 will not even come close to driving the HE-6.  I could get a very moderate volume at around -7 on the volume dial (anyone familiar with Yamaha Integrated Amps knows -7 is cranked HIGH), but the sound was very closed in and certainly wasn't even close to being as loud as I'd want.  At -6, moderate distortion was audible, and -5 gave way to heavy distortion. 

 

I e-mailed Fang last night, and he thought the 140 watts out of the Yamaha's speaker taps wouldn't be too much for the HE-6 since he believes Yamaha marginally overstates the power on their integrated amps.  

 

I have a Yamaha RX-V1300 in storage that's rated at 100 WPC.  I believe I'm going to try this route.  I'm sure 140 watts just isn't necessary.  Now I just wish I had a pigtail to tap into the speaker outs.  frown.gif    Even at the very low power, I was already hearing things in the SACD I was listening to that I had never noticed before.  Now I'm off to order a HE-6 cable with banana plugs!  It's going to be hard not being able to really enjoy these until I can acquire a speaker tap cable.

post #2242 of 15201

Could someone who has a multimeter lying around do me a favor and check the HE-6 cable? Is the outer case of the small connectors ground/cold (XLR pins 2 & 4) or is it the pin inside? I'm about to re-solder the XLR connector (did that before to extend the cable, but my soldering wasn't very clean), and now I messed up the cable redface.gif

Identifying left/right channel is no problem but I can't figure out which cable is +/hot and which is ground/cold.

post #2243 of 15201

For what it's worth, I've used a small 1/4" wrench to tighten the connectors on the HE-6 and it works just fine.  The fit of the wrench on the connector is slightly loose but you'll have no difficulty tightening them up and it's quick.

 

Have just started listening to my new SR-71B this afternoon.  Only have SE out of my V-DAC but  I'm using a balanced cable connection to the SR-71B (from Moon Audio).  Pretty impressive so far, particularly the bass output, and it's extremely quiet.  

post #2244 of 15201

 

The pins 2 & 4 are the negative (ground) pins   Pin 2 is left and Pin 4 is right.   Pin 1 is left positive and Pin 3 is right positive.  This is the way I wire all of my adapters and has been confirmed by meter. This is the standard used by AKG and many other manufacturers who use the 4-pin XLR adapter. 

 

 

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mad Dude View Post

Could someone who has a multimeter lying around do me a favor and check the HE-6 cable? Is the outer case of the small connectors ground/cold (XLR pins 2 & 4) or is it the pin inside? I'm about to re-solder the XLR connector (did that before to extend the cable, but my soldering wasn't very clean), and now I messed up the cable redface.gif

Identifying left/right channel is no problem but I can't figure out which cable is +/hot and which is ground/cold.


Edited by HiFlight - 1/4/11 at 4:16pm
post #2245 of 15201

I think Mad Dude is aking about the connectors at the Headphone end

post #2246 of 15201

Yes, I assumed that was what he was asking...the outside housing is negative, the inside center conductor is positive.  I guess I didn't make it very clear in my answer. 

post #2247 of 15201

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiFlight View Post

Yes, I assumed that was what he was asking...the outside housing is negative, the inside center conductor is positive.  I guess I didn't make it very clear in my answer. 



That's exactly what I needed to know. Thank you! smile.gif

 

post #2248 of 15201



 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaSouth View Post

For what it's worth, I've used a small 1/4" wrench to tighten the connectors on the HE-6 and it works just fine.  The fit of the wrench on the connector is slightly loose but you'll have no difficulty tightening them up and it's quick.

 

Have just started listening to my new SR-71B this afternoon.  Only have SE out of my V-DAC but  I'm using a balanced cable connection to the SR-71B (from Moon Audio).  Pretty impressive so far, particularly the bass output, and it's extremely quiet.  



 I found needle nose pliers worked best.

post #2249 of 15201

Man I love these phones.


Edited by Happy Camper - 1/6/11 at 8:07pm
post #2250 of 15201
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Camper View Post

Man I love these phones.


x2

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: High-end Audio Forum
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone