Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone - Page 129

post #1921 of 14269

Order placed, now the wait.

post #1922 of 14269

Dear Shahrose,

    I have used the HE6 for quite some time because I have got that in the first 12 HE6's shipment.

    On the contrary I didn't find the treble to be sibilant at all and I love the treble of the HE6 as well as the R10

Although it is not that airy  but it has very transparent treble.  In fact I prefer the treble of the HE6 as much as

the R10 that I have.  However I used recable with the Twag and Moon audio cable balanced 4 pin XLR.

The soundstage is not that small , in fact it is almost the same level as the HD800.  The detail is also very good

in fact I prefer using HE6  with the realiser A8 more than the HD800 and I think it is one of the headphone that

very suitable with the realiser A8.  I don't know why there is some difference however the HE6 needs a very good

amp to do that, I used the balanced out from the ZDT which is more than enough to drive the HE6, I also have tried

the speaker post with the HE6 and I think it improves the soundstage and the bass of the HE6 .

    I would also like to have skylab opinion on the R10 comparing to the HE6, LCD2, HD800 a/b and am waiting for

his comment and how to improve the sound quality of the 4 headphones, any recable that will make all unit better.

I also would like to ask about the apuresound V3 cable for my R10 can it be reterminated into 4 pin balanced XLR,

however R10 is the easiest driving headphone and I can rank from R10, HD800, LCD2,HE5 and the most difficult one

is the HE6 .  I also found the use of the speaker adapter cable improve the sound quality of the LCD2.

post #1923 of 14269
Quote:
Originally Posted by grokit View Post

Then why on earth did you say, "Difficult to drive well" in your "Bad" column confused_face(1).gif ?

 

Anyways volume isn't the issue with driving the HE-6 IMO, current is. YMMV.

 

 

Because with the portable players and soundcards I have, they sound pretty bad. The Musiland 02US struggles with them too.

In terms of just volume, I've never had to go above 8 o' clock on the GS-1 in high gain with any other can. With the HE-6, up to 11 o' clock is tolerable, so their sensitivity is pretty low.


Edited by Shahrose - 12/15/10 at 4:30pm
post #1924 of 14269

Gain, like volume, is different than current from what I understand. Many of the "Bad" issues you are experiencing remind me of listening to the HE-6 out of the EF5, a high-gain hybrid amp made for the HE-5/LE. I would be interested in your impressions if you do get around to comparing with a HQ speaker amp.


Edited by grokit - 12/15/10 at 4:33pm
post #1925 of 14269
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiatchai View Post

Dear Shahrose,

    I have used the HE6 for quite some time because I have got that in the first 12 HE6's shipment.

    On the contrary I didn't find the treble to be sibilant at all and I love the treble of the HE6 as well as the R10

Although it is not that airy  but it has very transparent treble.  In fact I prefer the treble of the HE6 as much as

the R10 that I have.  However I used recable with the Twag and Moon audio cable balanced 4 pin XLR.

The soundstage is not that small , in fact it is almost the same level as the HD800.  The detail is also very good

in fact I prefer using HE6  with the realiser A8 more than the HD800 and I think it is one of the headphone that

very suitable with the realiser A8.  I don't know why there is some difference however the HE6 needs a very good

amp to do that, I used the balanced out from the ZDT which is more than enough to drive the HE6, I also have tried

the speaker post with the HE6 and I think it improves the soundstage and the bass of the HE6 .

    I would also like to have skylab opinion on the R10 comparing to the HE6, LCD2, HD800 a/b and am waiting for

his comment and how to improve the sound quality of the 4 headphones, any recable that will make all unit better.

I also would like to ask about the apuresound V3 cable for my R10 can it be reterminated into 4 pin balanced XLR,

however R10 is the easiest driving headphone and I can rank from R10, HD800, LCD2,HE5 and the most difficult one

is the HE6 .  I also found the use of the speaker adapter cable improve the sound quality of the LCD2.



I think using the Realiser would confound proper soundstage impressions. Try the headphones without processing.

You're also using a different amp and cables than me so it's entirely possible that the HE-6 sound different in your setup.

 

Edit: I don't want to say too much more right now, because there's a chance these will change with burn-in, or I might just notice new things with time.


Edited by Shahrose - 12/15/10 at 5:01pm
post #1926 of 14269

I think when you are paying 1K for a headphone they should not need to be recabled with 300-400 cables to sound good IMO and should be as perfect as can be for that kind of dough. It seems to me that you need to invest another 1000 or more to get them right. Now it becomes a very expensive headphone IMO

post #1927 of 14269
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank I View Post

I think when you are paying 1K for a headphone they should not need to be recabled with 300-400 cables to sound good IMO and should be as perfect as can be for that kind of dough. It seems to me that you need to invest another 1000 or more to get them right. Now it becomes a very expensive headphone IMO


Frank, in the perfect world, you are absolutely correct.  But there is little financial incentive for a manufacturer to supply top-of-the-line, expensive cabling as it would drive up the cost and limit sales further.  Half or more of their potential buyers don't believe in cables and the rest either can't afford the additional expense, afraid of voiding the warranty or both.  So they are shooting for the "just good enough" category stock cable and instead giving you a pretty box, headphone stand and a nice, shiny "Limited" decal.

 

I love those, BTW.

post #1928 of 14269

I just plugged the HE6 into this puppy:

 

On a scale of 1-10 where the Woo WA6SE was 1, the Exposure XXV - 7 then this ranks 10 for sound quality

 

The bass is deeper again with even more control and the amp exhibits amazing control

 

A301he6.jpg

post #1929 of 14269

So what is 'this'?
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkhead View Post

I just plugged the HE6 into this puppy:

 

On a scale of 1-10 where the Woo WA6SE was 1, the Exposure XXV - 7 then this ranks 10 for sound quality

 

The bass is deeper again with even more control and the amp exhibits amazing control

post #1930 of 14269
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shahrose View Post

Just got them. Initial impressions (may change after some time):

*The HD800s I used were silver-recabled.

Good:
-Excellent bass, in every parameter. Quantity is greater than the HD800, but a bit lower than the 600.
-Open, airy and delicate sound, especially treble (something I've noticed on the HE-5, LCD-2 and now the HE-6)

-Good dynamics (almost as good as the HD800).

-Excellent transient response, attack and natural decay.
-Comfort is surprisingly good considering the ~500g weight (I'm sensitive to heavy cans...the LCD-2 were uncomfortable for sessions longer than 30 min)


Bad:
-Too much treble around 8-14KHz, sounds bright and sibilant despite the treble quality.

-Not as transparent and revealing as the HD800.

-Midrange could use a bit more presence.
-Soundstage is flat and small, a far cry from the likes of the HD800. It's slightly smaller than the HD600's SS as well.

-The focus and placement of vocals isn't as good as the HD800.
-Build quality is a bit disappointing for a $1200 headphone.
-Difficult to drive well.


Overall, these are an improvement over the HE-5s, but the sibilant treble is somewhat bothersome. The treble might change with burn-in (if orthos burn-in at all), but it would have to be a more-than-subtle change to make me like it.


Great comments Shahrose. Very well written and thought out. Sounds like you might be more of a HD800 kinda guy.

 

As well, with my experience (limited as it is) with orthos is that they change very little after the first say 10 hours of burn in.


Edited by MacedonianHero - 12/15/10 at 6:12pm
post #1931 of 14269
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shahrose View Post

Just got them. Initial impressions (may change after some time):

*The HD800s I used were silver-recabled.

Good:
-Excellent bass, in every parameter. Quantity is greater than the HD800, but a bit lower than the 600.
-Open, airy and delicate sound, especially treble (something I've noticed on the HE-5, LCD-2 and now the HE-6)

-Good dynamics (almost as good as the HD800).

-Excellent transient response, attack and natural decay.
-Comfort is surprisingly good considering the ~500g weight (I'm sensitive to heavy cans...the LCD-2 were uncomfortable for sessions longer than 30 min)


Bad:
-Too much treble around 8-14KHz, sounds bright and sibilant despite the treble quality.

-Not as transparent and revealing as the HD800.

-Midrange could use a bit more presence.
-Soundstage is flat and small, a far cry from the likes of the HD800. It's slightly smaller than the HD600's SS as well.

-The focus and placement of vocals isn't as good as the HD800.
-Build quality is a bit disappointing for a $1200 headphone.
-Difficult to drive well.


Overall, these are an improvement over the HE-5s, but the sibilant treble is somewhat bothersome. The treble might change with burn-in (if orthos burn-in at all), but it would have to be a more-than-subtle change to make me like it.

Hmmm.....  I couldn't tolerate the treble of the HD800, had to sell them.  HE-6 to my ears has smoooooth treble.  I can listen for hours.  
 

post #1932 of 14269

The one on top looks like a DAC with a balanced out into an integrated amp with a balanced input. The HE6 is connected to the integrated amp's speaker output through banana plugs. Nice setup.
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tisb0b View Post

So what is 'this'?
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkhead View Post

I just plugged the HE6 into this puppy:

 

On a scale of 1-10 where the Woo WA6SE was 1, the Exposure XXV - 7 then this ranks 10 for sound quality

 

The bass is deeper again with even more control and the amp exhibits amazing control


 
post #1933 of 14269
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shahrose View Post

Just got them. Initial impressions (may change after some time):

*The HD800s I used were silver-recabled.

Good:
-Excellent bass, in every parameter. Quantity is greater than the HD800, but a bit lower than the 600.
-Open, airy and delicate sound, especially treble (something I've noticed on the HE-5, LCD-2 and now the HE-6)

-Good dynamics (almost as good as the HD800).

-Excellent transient response, attack and natural decay.
-Comfort is surprisingly good considering the ~500g weight (I'm sensitive to heavy cans...the LCD-2 were uncomfortable for sessions longer than 30 min)


Bad:
-Too much treble around 8-14KHz, sounds bright and sibilant despite the treble quality.

-Not as transparent and revealing as the HD800.

-Midrange could use a bit more presence.
-Soundstage is flat and small, a far cry from the likes of the HD800. It's slightly smaller than the HD600's SS as well.

-The focus and placement of vocals isn't as good as the HD800.
-Build quality is a bit disappointing for a $1200 headphone.
-Difficult to drive well.


Overall, these are an improvement over the HE-5s, but the sibilant treble is somewhat bothersome. The treble might change with burn-in (if orthos burn-in at all), but it would have to be a more-than-subtle change to make me like it.


I seriously wonder what is causing the sibilance as it's the last thing that I would associate with the HE6. Actually, that particular line describes the HD800 pretty well. Are you sure you don't have them mixed up? evil_smiley.gif

post #1934 of 14269

I agee K3cT that I did not find any sibilance with the HE6 at all, in comparison to the HD800 sometimes

with some music you may have that.  So I think I prefer the treble of HE6 more than HD800 although HD800

may sound more airy.  However as I mentioned in my previous post that the treble that I enjoyed the most

are from the HE6 and R10.  I need skylab input on this too as he recently owned the R10.  I will compare

the treble of Edition 10 soon.

post #1935 of 14269
His thoughts are so different from everybody else, especially when it comes to the treble. It almost makes me wonder if there's some sort of defect. I used my motu 828 to burn them in at night. It doesn't come anywhere close to driving them, but even on that the treble is still pretty smooth and no where near sibilant.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: High-end Audio Forum
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone