Just curious, is there something about orthos that is more expensive to make? The cheapest ortho is still 500$. I mean that's cheaper of course, but it's still not affordable by any means
Recent Images In This Thread
- productHiFiMAN HE-6 Planar Headphonetagged by System, 6/11/10
Related Forum Threads
- LCD-XC vs HiFiMan He-6 Last post on 3/23/15 at 7:25pm in High-end Audio Forum
- HiFiMAN Focus Pads durability concerns Last post on 2/11/15 at 2:40am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- 2nd pair of cans Last post on 1/7/15 at 9:03am in Headphones (full-size)
- HiFiMan he-560 vs he-6 size Last post on 11/18/14 at 8:43am in Headphones (full-size)
- Destroyed my HE-400, what to get now? Last post on 10/24/14 at 1:35am in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 11/28/14
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))Last edited: 12/8/14
Intro/Setup The full-size closed under $200 category is a very popular one among pro’s and casual listeners alike. The most similar competitor to this I own is the Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro...
Fantastic sound quality! Very clean, detailed and balanced sound. Really strong power for high impedance headphones. Best buy until US 250,00.. It can drive easily my AKG K702 (famous for being...
Great sound, strong bass, great construct quality, very confortable, warm sound. This is a real overall headphone. Everything will sound good on it (not a real reference headphone). Fantastic for...
Great sound, great tone, very well balanced, very clean, great bass (not lacking), detailed sound. Everything sounds great on the SENNHEISER HD 598.
Fantastic Reference Headphones, fantastic sound clarity and definition. The soundstage is the best! Incredible detailed sound and instruments separation. Not for everyone. This is a very honest...
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))
HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone - Page 12
Gear mentioned in this thread:
Wouldn't the fact that they are hand-made and/or in small series by small companies make them more expensive?
That's what I thought too, but then they announced the HE-3, which is in the 300 dollar range, and it's dynamic. So their cheapest full size headphone is dynamic and all the more expensive ones are planars of some sort
I remember reading a quote somewhere online that it would cost $50k today to start making Yamaha style drivers...Ofc all the modern orthos have fostex style.
Fostex style? What specifically do you mean? There is one current ortho that is extremely different from any Fostex style.
You opened one of the new orthos to have a close look at the driver?
I can only tell you that one of the new orthos on the market is very unlike any of the Fostex drivers.
Now that you started talking about it... which one? The HE-6?
What I meant by Fostex style was a diaphragm clamped between arranged bar magnets (not the concentrically corrugated and ring driver style of Yamaha). Ok this isnt down to Fostex, but i just chose to refer to it as Fostex style.
Im not sure where that $50k figure came from though, probably the Yamaha engineer pulling figures out of the air.
btw, any other new headphones coming out that we can add to this crazy thread?
CanJam, and if sooner, it may be from here.
Fang releases information about the new products there.
- HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (4/8/2015: Full X2 Review... 5 seconds ago
- › "The Lab" 1 minute ago
- › The iBasso DX50 Thread - Latest firmware: 1.9.2 1 minute ago
- › Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up 2 minutes ago
- › New Schiit! Ragnarok and Yggdrasil 2 minutes ago
- › Chord Electronics 2Qute DAC announced 2 minutes ago
- › Xiaomi Pistons 3.0 Impressions Thread 3 minutes ago
- › Music City Meet -- Spring 2015 -- Pics & Impressions Thread 3 minutes ago
- › MrSpeakers Ether Impressions Thread 3 minutes ago
- › Optimal In-Ear Monitors for Mostly Electronic Music 4 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser HD 380 PRO Headphones by rigodeni
- › Matrix M-Stage by Johannus
- › Pioneer HDJ-2000 Reference Professional Dj Headphones by Johannus
- › Sennheiser HD 598 by Johannus
- › AKG K 702 Black by Johannus
- › AKG K 702 Headphones by Johannus
- › Sennheiser HD 650 Headphones by Johannus
- › Sennheiser RS 185 RF Wireless Headphone System by mark2410
- › Philips Fidelio L2 by DJScope
- › HUM Pervasion - Android DAP by DJScope
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2