Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone - Page 12

post #166 of 15471

Just curious, is there something about orthos that is more expensive to make?  The cheapest ortho is still 500$.  I mean that's cheaper of course, but it's still not affordable by any means

post #167 of 15471

Wouldn't the fact that they are hand-made and/or in small series by small companies make them more expensive?
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhythmdevils View Post

Just curious, is there something about orthos that is more expensive to make?  The cheapest ortho is still 500$.  I mean that's cheaper of course, but it's still not affordable by any means

post #168 of 15471

That's what I thought too, but then they announced the HE-3, which is in the 300 dollar range, and it's dynamic.  So their cheapest full size headphone is dynamic and all the more expensive ones are planars of some sort

post #169 of 15471
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhythmdevils View Post

Just curious, is there something about orthos that is more expensive to make?  The cheapest ortho is still 500$.  I mean that's cheaper of course, but it's still not affordable by any means

I remember reading a quote somewhere online that it would cost $50k today to start making Yamaha style drivers...Ofc all the modern orthos have fostex style.

post #170 of 15471
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabeer View Post



I remember reading a quote somewhere online that it would cost $50k today to start making Yamaha style drivers...Ofc all the modern orthos have fostex style.


Fostex style?  What specifically do you mean?  There is one current ortho that is extremely different from any Fostex style.

post #171 of 15471

You opened one of the new orthos to have a close look at the driver?
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwkarth View Post




Fostex style?  What specifically do you mean?  There is one current ortho that is extremely different from any Fostex style.

post #172 of 15471

Does anyone know when we will be able to see a picture of the upcoming HE-3 dynamic?

post #173 of 15471
Quote:
Originally Posted by DefectiveAudioComponent View Post

You opened one of the new orthos to have a close look at the driver?
 


 


I can only tell you that one of the new orthos on the market is very unlike any of the Fostex drivers.

post #174 of 15471

Now that you started talking about it... which one? The HE-6?
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwkarth View Post




I can only tell you that one of the new orthos on the market is very unlike any of the Fostex drivers.

post #175 of 15471

Nope

post #176 of 15471

post #177 of 15471
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwkarth View Post




Fostex style?  What specifically do you mean?  There is one current ortho that is extremely different from any Fostex style.

What I meant by Fostex style was a diaphragm clamped between arranged bar magnets (not the concentrically corrugated and ring driver style of Yamaha). Ok this isnt down to Fostex, but i just chose to refer to it as Fostex style.

Im not sure where that $50k figure came from though, probably the Yamaha engineer pulling figures out of the air.

post #178 of 15471
50000 sounds like a lot but means relatively little to me since I have nothing tobcompare it to. I have no clue about production costs even for bubble gum or tennis balls

btw, any other new headphones coming out that we can add to this crazy thread?
post #179 of 15471
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beagle View Post

Does anyone know when we will be able to see a picture of the upcoming HE-3 dynamic?


CanJam, and if sooner, it may be from here.

 

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/491517/canjam-2010-hifiman-new-product#post_6633486

 

Fang releases information about the new products there.

post #180 of 15471
Thread Starter 

Come on guys, give something to eat to the people abroad.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: High-end Audio Forum
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone