Just curious, is there something about orthos that is more expensive to make? The cheapest ortho is still 500$. I mean that's cheaper of course, but it's still not affordable by any means
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Anyone in NYC kind enough to offer me a chance to listen to LCD-2/HE-6/MD1? Last post on 10/26/11 at 10:41am in Headphones (full-size)
- Has anyone ever tried M902+LCD-2 combo? Last post on 10/7/11 at 10:48pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Mission: Replace the HiFiMAN ear pads with other brand ear pads Last post on 3/15/14 at 8:45am in Headphones (full-size)
- Your phones and your style. Last post on 9/10/11 at 4:52pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Are Shure SRH-840 high-end headphones? Last post on 8/14/11 at 11:13pm in Headphones (full-size)
2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones...
Last edited: 8/2/13
- 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))Last edited: 12/20/13
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)Last edited: 8/19/13
- 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Summit-Fi)Last edited: 12/10/13
- Comparisons of LCD-2 Rev. 1 and Rev. 2Last edited: 9/19/11
Thanks to slwiser, Spidermeng and Woody469 for some of the pictures used in this video.
This is the first item that dragged me into the world of audiophile, having started as noob with this great cans I must say that Shure SE215 Special Edition is cans for everybody, all things...
below is a review of of the v-moda xs! check out my channel(like and subscribe) recently uploaded a review and comparison with the v-moda m100s
I've read a lot of diverging comments about these headphones and I think there is a problem. These are non-powered studio monitor headphones. They are not meant to have perfect sound quality, and...
Remember: "Stay away from Razer". Razer headphones are just meant to be "fun" for a certain amount of time. After a few weeks they either break or become really uncomfortable. The sound is overall...
HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone - Page 12post #166 of 130225/31/10 at 11:28am
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #167 of 130225/31/10 at 11:36am
Wouldn't the fact that they are hand-made and/or in small series by small companies make them more expensive?
post #168 of 130225/31/10 at 11:43am
That's what I thought too, but then they announced the HE-3, which is in the 300 dollar range, and it's dynamic. So their cheapest full size headphone is dynamic and all the more expensive ones are planars of some sortpost #169 of 130225/31/10 at 12:05pmQuote:
I remember reading a quote somewhere online that it would cost $50k today to start making Yamaha style drivers...Ofc all the modern orthos have fostex style.post #170 of 130225/31/10 at 12:07pmQuote:
Fostex style? What specifically do you mean? There is one current ortho that is extremely different from any Fostex style.post #171 of 130225/31/10 at 12:12pm
You opened one of the new orthos to have a close look at the driver?
post #172 of 130225/31/10 at 12:32pmpost #173 of 130225/31/10 at 12:39pmQuote:
I can only tell you that one of the new orthos on the market is very unlike any of the Fostex drivers.post #174 of 130225/31/10 at 12:42pm
Now that you started talking about it... which one? The HE-6?
post #175 of 130225/31/10 at 12:52pmpost #176 of 130225/31/10 at 3:19pmpost #177 of 130225/31/10 at 3:23pmQuote:
What I meant by Fostex style was a diaphragm clamped between arranged bar magnets (not the concentrically corrugated and ring driver style of Yamaha). Ok this isnt down to Fostex, but i just chose to refer to it as Fostex style.
Im not sure where that $50k figure came from though, probably the Yamaha engineer pulling figures out of the air.post #178 of 130225/31/10 at 3:35pm50000 sounds like a lot but means relatively little to me since I have nothing tobcompare it to. I have no clue about production costs even for bubble gum or tennis balls
btw, any other new headphones coming out that we can add to this crazy thread?post #179 of 130225/31/10 at 3:50pmThread StarterQuote:
CanJam, and if sooner, it may be from here.
Fang releases information about the new products there.
- HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))
- › Need DAC Advice 1 minute ago
- › Metrum NOS Hex Flagship DAC 1 minute ago
- › The New iRiver AK100: A High-End DAP 1 minute ago
- › Fiio E07K and...Beyerdynamic DT 770/880/990 250 Ohms or Brainwavz HM5 2 minutes ago
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (Update: 4/17/2014: AKG... 2 minutes ago
- › Beyerdynamic AT1350 - An Improved DT1350? 2 minutes ago
- › 2359glenn | studio 3 minutes ago
- › Misleading recommendations on HE-400? 4 minutes ago
- › DNA Stratus. EML 2A3 Mesh. EML 5U4G. Shipping US or Pickup Chicago. 4 minutes ago
- › New JH Audio flagship! "Siren Series Roxanne" 6 minutes ago
- › Astell & Kern AK240 by Currawong
- › Shure SE215 Special Edition by TherryK13
- › V-MODA XS by Tom22
- › Sony MDR-XD100 Stereo Headphones by xflight297
- › RAZER Kraken Pro Circumaural Analog Gaming Headset - Black by Bonny
- › HifiMan Electronics HM-700 DAC with RE-400b Balanced In-Ear... by lin0003
- › Astrotec AX35 by tomscy2000
- › Denon AH-D600 by derbigpr
- › AUDIO TECHNICA ATH PRO700 mk2 by Morph91
- › BRAINWAVZ HM5 Studio Monitor Headphones by JamesSitter
- › Westone latest universal iem flagship was the... by majedelamine
- › How to find the Tokyo e-earphone shop by Currawong
- › The Best BASS Headphones ( a Head-Fi Wiki) by Hawaiibadboy
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by joe
- › Adjusting bias on Stax tube amplifiers by ardilla
- › Headphone Power Calculator Spreadsheet by robrob
- › Headphone-to-Speaker-Amp Interface With... by robrob
- › Headphone Resistor Network Calculator by robrob