Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone - Page 925

post #13861 of 14883
I find the whole "euphonic vs reference" thing somewhat strange, it seems like comparing a luxury saloon to a track car. I have a TH900 for euphonic listening and a 009 for reference, but both are merely satisfying my musical preferences depending on my mood or the music I am playing. I am interested in the HE-6 more from a euphonic point of view as people seem to say that it offers a more engaging sound rather than the surgical accuracy of the 009.
post #13862 of 14883
Quote:
Originally Posted by lojay View Post
 

 

I do not like the LCD3s and TH900s either. The HE-6 is very well-balanced to my ears, just as is the SR-009 on my setup. 

 

I kind of get where you are coming from. The bass I've heard from the HE-6 driven by the Hifiman dedicated SS amp (EF1?) was pretty amazing but it sounded even more closed in than my set up. I wish I can hear the HE-6 to its full potential. Though quite a number of people seem to think the HE-6 matches well with the WA5 (DG and Frank I to name a few) I think there are just too many speaker amps that could drive the HE-6 amazingly and it is likely that they will all sound different. 

 

I'm very interested in the 445, do let us know how it is when you get it! I'm sure you'll get it sooner than my BHSE. 

You mean the EF6? That amp hardly does justice for the HE-6. It was a warm, sloppy sounding amp that was low res.

 

Man I wish I could let you listen to my modded HE-6 on my Krell. And if only I could borrow your Woo Wee and 009 for my Krell...

post #13863 of 14883
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audio Jester View Post

I find the whole "euphonic vs reference" thing somewhat strange, it seems like comparing a luxury saloon to a track car. I have a TH900 for euphonic listening and a 009 for reference, but both are merely satisfying my musical preferences depending on my mood or the music I am playing. I am interested in the HE-6 more from a euphonic point of view as people seem to say that it offers a more engaging sound rather than the surgical accuracy of the 009.

 

Try a good tube speaker amp with old tubes. I'm using a Copland CTA 504 with 4 Tungsol 6550s smooth plates (not the reissues) with 4 old Mullards 12AX7A (not reissues), 60 wpc. To my ears euphonic and reference. I also have an Audio Research D70 60 wpc tube amp. The Audio Research is slightly more accurate but the Copland is just so musical.

post #13864 of 14883

I believe a good tube amp can reproduce the sound of a sax better than ss amps, now hold on to your reigns :)  Sax is not an easy instrument to reproduce. Try Jennifer Warnes 'Famous Blue Raincoat'. My Copland just can't reproduce the rawness of sax compared to the Audio Research. The HE-6 can reproduce the difference between the two amps.

post #13865 of 14883
Quote:
Originally Posted by wuwhere View Post
 

I believe a good tube amp can reproduce the sound of a sax better than ss amps, now hold on to your reigns :)  Sax is not an easy instrument to reproduce. Try Jennifer Warnes 'Famous Blue Raincoat'. My Copland just can't reproduce the rawness of sax compared to the Audio Research. The HE-6 can reproduce the difference between the two amps.

Is there any recording that is your favorite when it comes to sax or other horn instruments?  I have Marantz Audiophile Test CD collection, and one of them is full of horn instruments, and I've never heard any recording as detailed as these.  You can hear every details on the horn textures.  I believe the company that recorded these were STS Digtial from Netherlands.  Most realistic, accurate, detailed, and clear recording ever. That recording definitely scales with better setup for sure.

 

When I first got into this hobby, I've run across people recommending Miles Davis "kind of blue" over and over again, and every time I listen wasn't impressed with it. Now I know why I wasn't, the recording scales up to better equipment.  Now, it's one of my favorite recording with the setup I have that can pick up all kinds of details.  If you get a revealing setup, you hear amazing sounds from it.

 

Anyhow, as my setup gets better, I'm really appreciating horn instruments and the textures from it.  The better the equipment, more nuances you hear in the horn sounds.


Edited by SilverEars - 6/29/14 at 9:09pm
post #13866 of 14883

Sonny Rollins?

 

post #13867 of 14883
Quote:
Originally Posted by preproman View Post
 

What Amp and DAC?

Not sure which HP you were referring to.

 

For my Stax 007, I have the Gungnir/KGSShv.

For the HE 6 (or all orthos), I have Gungnir/Mjolnir, Gungnir/Emotiva(speaker taps) at home

                                                        Bifrost Uber/Zana Deux in the office

 

What do you think?

post #13868 of 14883

I'm cliche, I personally prefer Coltrane because his recordings are very detailed.  :D

post #13869 of 14883
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverEars View Post
 

I'm cliche, I personally prefer Coltrane because his recordings are very detailed.  :D

 

Some said that Coltrane was kinda tentative in the Kind Of Blue as if he was intimidated by Miles.

post #13870 of 14883
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhgourami View Post
 

You mean the EF6? That amp hardly does justice for the HE-6. It was a warm, sloppy sounding amp that was low res.

 

Man I wish I could let you listen to my modded HE-6 on my Krell. And if only I could borrow your Woo Wee and 009 for my Krell...

Given we are an ocean apart, I think the easiest way is for me to buy a used Krell and for you to buy a used 009 and WEE instead of flying business class to meet each other. Looking at it that way, it seems the purchase is absolutely justified! :D 

 

Yes the EF-6 sounded slow and sloppy. It was low res and had a restrictive soundstage. Nevertheless, it had better bass than my WA5 and I surmise that all SS amps would as well. 300Bs are known for their lack of bass extension.

post #13871 of 14883
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhgourami View Post
 

 

Vegan pads also do a lot for the HE-6. You'd be surprised by how much it opens them up.

 

I haven't listened to an SR-009 in a long time, but from what I recalled that even though a lot was technically superior [to my setup at the time], it sounded ethereal/fake. It also didn't recreate that image like my current setup. I'd like to have the chance to listen to one with a BHSE to judge again now that my ears are better than they were 2 years ago.

 

You are talking about the Audeze Vegan pads right?

 

SR-009 sounded quite "ethereal" out of the Stax amps I've tried. I think it really needs to be "tubed up" and the Woo does that pretty well.

post #13872 of 14883
Quote:
Originally Posted by lojay View Post
 

 

You are talking about the Audeze Vegan pads right?

 

SR-009 sounded quite "ethereal" out of the Stax amps I've tried. I think it really needs to be "tubed up" and the Woo does that pretty well.

 

Play around with some tu

Quote:
Originally Posted by kothganesh View Post
 

Not sure which HP you were referring to.

 

For my Stax 007, I have the Gungnir/KGSShv.

For the HE 6 (or all orthos), I have Gungnir/Mjolnir, Gungnir/Emotiva(speaker taps) at home

                                                        Bifrost Uber/Zana Deux in the office

 

What do you think?

 

 

007 / KGSSHV - should be a really goo pair.

 

The HE-6 with the Mjolnir or the Emo plus the Gungir - look out....   Either of those amps are good IMO - Just a good start.  

post #13873 of 14883
Quote:
Originally Posted by lojay View Post
 

Given we are an ocean apart, I think the easiest way is for me to buy a used Krell and for you to buy a used 009 and WEE instead of flying business class to meet each other. Looking at it that way, it seems the purchase is absolutely justified! :D 

 

Yes the EF-6 sounded slow and sloppy. It was low res and had a restrictive soundstage. Nevertheless, it had better bass than my WA5 and I surmise that all SS amps would as well. 300Bs are known for their lack of bass extension.


Anyway, the point is that with all mods (pads, grill, and felt) the HE-6 comes very very close to the SR-009 in all technical aspects. With a very good amp, HE-6 has presence and dynamics that I don't think the SR-009 can ever have. The lead the SR-009 has isn't as clear as it should.

 

Which reminds me, my close friend owns an 009 that I could probably borrow for an extended period of time. The hard part would be acquiring a Woo Wee.

post #13874 of 14883
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhgourami View Post
 


Anyway, the point is that with all mods (pads, grill, and felt) the HE-6 comes very very close to the SR-009 in all technical aspects. With a very good amp, HE-6 has presence and dynamics that I don't think the SR-009 can ever have. The lead the SR-009 has isn't as clear as it should.

 

Which reminds me, my close friend owns an 009 that I could probably borrow for an extended period of time. The hard part would be acquiring a Woo Wee.

 

Yes would like to hear your impressions on that (if you get your hands on a Stax tranny).

 

Back to my question, do you mean the Audeze vegan pads?

 

Since reading these points I've been ABing the SR-009 with the HE-6 playing some jazz on Spotify. The edge that the SR-009 is really not as great as the price makes it seem. There is simply more bite with the HE-6 (visceral?) and that seems preferable with the sax. I think I might indeed prefer the HE-6 to SR-009 on some music but hey, no harm owning both :P

 

The DP-777 is a really good match with the HE-6. It used to be the case that I couldn't bear using the Sylvania 6SN7W chrome tops on my amp, but with the DP-777 which eliminates all the digital harshness, I prefer that to the warmer Tungsol driver tubes that I used to love. 


Edited by lojay - 6/30/14 at 12:24am
post #13875 of 14883
Quote:
Originally Posted by lojay View Post
 

 

 I think I might indeed prefer the HE-6 to SR-009 on some music but hey, no harm owning both :P

 

The DP-777 is a really good match with the HE-6. It used to be the case that I couldn't bear using the Sylvania 6SN7W chrome tops on my amp, but with the DP-777 which eliminates all the digital harshness, I prefer that to the warmer Tungsol driver tubes that I used to love. 

 

 

:beerchug:

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: High-end Audio Forum
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone