Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone - Page 889

post #13321 of 14883
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audio Jester View Post

So is there an updated HE-6 on the horizon? I am tempted to get the HE-6, but if they can squeeze some more goodness out of it I'm interested.

How long would you be prepared to wait if HiFiMAN "Announced?" If they had a prototype destined for Winter CES with a Spring 2015 release, could you hold out?

:popcorn:

post #13322 of 14883
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent One View Post

How long would you be prepared to wait if HiFiMAN "Announced?" If they had a prototype destined for Winter CES with a Spring 2015 release, could you hold out?
popcorn.gif
I have a BHSE on order. Does that answer your question?
biggrin.gif
post #13323 of 14883

I'm interested in measuring mine because I did tell people that my O2 can drive mine to listening level and louder.  The variance of impedance explains it.  Mine must be low impedance and gets louder.  I'm guessing people with the high impedance ones have hard time believing me.  :D


Edited by SilverEars - 5/5/14 at 8:14pm
post #13324 of 14883
This leads me to my next question, has anyone directly compared the 009 and the HE-6? Does the Hifiman offer a very different signature? Thanks.
post #13325 of 14883
Quote:
Originally Posted by wuwhere View Post
 

 

Like this.

 

sorry so late but that looks like a music angel but I dont see that particular one anywhere. How powerful is it and what is it?

post #13326 of 14883
Quote:
Originally Posted by grizzlybeast View Post
 

sorry so late but that looks like a music angel but I dont see that particular one anywhere. How powerful is it and what is it?

 

Specs http://www.sophiaelectric.com/pages/amp/specification_babyamp.htm

 

A review http://www.tnt-audio.com/ampli/sophia_baby_e.html

 

IMO, it does not tango well with HE-6. That Russian 6P1T tube  just does not sound well with the HE-6. The 6P1T tube is actually the same as the more common 6P1P. I try to stay away from Russian vacuum tubes that has no equivalent Western tubes.

post #13327 of 14883
Quote:
Originally Posted by sluker View Post


Mine came in at 39 ohm hardwired, I think these were the lowest.

Sounds like you have a rebadged HE-500.  :biggrin:

 

post #13328 of 14883
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverEars View Post
 

I'm interested in measuring mine because I did tell people that my O2 can drive mine to listening level and louder.  The variance of impedance explains it.  Mine must be low impedance and gets louder.  I'm guessing people with the high impedance ones have hard time believing me.  :D

The impedance, considered in itself has little to do with it here, certainly for minor differences of give or take max. 30 Ohm.  Sensitivity is the limiting factor.

 

Higher impedance and especially, huge variability in impedance across the frequency range plays a role because -sensitivity remaining equal- higher impedance will require higher voltages and variability over the FQ range combined with dynamic music means that your amp will have to be able to 'swing' this voltage quickly enough.  

 

But the planers have a ruler flat impedance across the FQR.  With the O2 you quickly run into voltage limitations and the opamps' slew rates are not terrific either-->  bring on clipping and IMD.  You may get it loud(ish) but it won't sound very nice :-)

post #13329 of 14883
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audio Jester View Post
 
I have a BHSE on order. Does that answer your question?
biggrin.gif

:beerchug: Absolutely! However, I did notice a contest being held inside your home "Audiophile vs Wallet" but I'm unable to see the scoreboard...which one has the lead?

post #13330 of 14883
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audio Jester View Post


I have a BHSE on order. Does that answer your question?
biggrin.gif

Loud and clear. A person with that patience, wow :beerchug:

post #13331 of 14883
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenophon View Post
 

The impedance, considered in itself has little to do with it here, certainly for minor differences of give or take max. 30 Ohm.  Sensitivity is the limiting factor.

 

Higher impedance and especially, huge variability in impedance across the frequency range plays a role because -sensitivity remaining equal- higher impedance will require higher voltages and variability over the FQ range combined with dynamic music means that your amp will have to be able to 'swing' this voltage quickly enough.  

 

But the planers have a ruler flat impedance across the FQR.  With the O2 you quickly run into voltage limitations and the opamps' slew rates are not terrific either-->  bring on clipping and IMD.  You may get it loud(ish) but it won't sound very nice :-)

This is true.  I compared my LCD2 with O2 and my Beta 22.  Although LCD2 is loud enough, you hear a hollow sound coming from the plate like the low quality headphones that has crap FR?  Not that exteme, but it's noticible if you switch from Beta to to the O2.  To me, it sounds like the plate is vibrating, but not enough.  To put it, it's not outputting enough dynamic range, it's cramped.  

 

As far as loudness for the HE-6.  I was thinking of sensitivity being all equal and Power is V^2/R, and given 10V input, you get more power input with less ohms, which translates to more loudness. 


Edited by SilverEars - 5/5/14 at 9:40pm
post #13332 of 14883
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent One View Post

beerchug.gif  Absolutely! However, I did notice a contest being held inside your home "Audiophile vs Wallet" but I'm unable to see the scoreboard...which one has the lead?
LOL, well once the BHSE lands i think the audiophile takes the lead... But for how long?
post #13333 of 14883

How long's the wait for a BHSE nowadays?  I dimly recall reading somewhere that it could extend to 18 months or so...crazy.  

post #13334 of 14883
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audio Jester View Post

This leads me to my next question, has anyone directly compared the 009 and the HE-6? Does the Hifiman offer a very different signature? Thanks.


I heard them both on different setups sadly.

post #13335 of 14883

I went to place an order for one last July/August and Justin placed the wait time at 15 months roughly. I ended up skipping off! I did place an order for the Woo WEE and SR-009 but eventually cancelled after waiting for the Stax 2.5 months when they announced an unexpected back log and it would be an additional 30 days. No thank you... "Hello HiFiMAN HE-6!" 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: High-end Audio Forum
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone