Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone - Page 856

post #12826 of 15160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubstep Girl View Post
 

also been thinking of just buying a newer amp

 

Get it.  I would love to hear how this one sounds.  Not a First Watt but a Pass Lab..

 

 

http://app.audiogon.com/listings/solid-state-pass-labs-xa-30-5-stereo-amplifier-with-factory-warranty-and-original-box-2014-03-24-amplifiers-75230-dallas-tx

post #12827 of 15160
Quote:
Originally Posted by NZtechfreak View Post

Not surprised to hear you say that Theogenes, from what I've seen in various threads and in relation to several headphones we've both owned it seems our taste in sound is pretty similar. Congrats!

Yep, we do seem to cross audio paths pretty frequently wink.gif.

Thanks bro!!

EDIT: My 1000th post!!! Woooooo!!! tongue.gif
Edited by Theogenes - 3/30/14 at 9:34am
post #12828 of 15160
How does one demo HE-6's? I am in Boston area if there is anyone local. I would really love to try these for a few hours.
post #12829 of 15160
Find someone on here that is local and ask for a mini meet.

Al
post #12830 of 15160

...or buy it without listening (this is how I did it - my only option). Hard to not be satisfied.

post #12831 of 15160

I wonder what the Hi-Fi Retail scene is like in the Boston area... maybe a Brick & Mortor opportunity awaits.

post #12832 of 15160
Quote:
Originally Posted by rydenfan View Post

How does one demo HE-6's? I am in Boston area if there is anyone local. I would really love to try these for a few hours.

 

Or look for meets in areas near you or where you plan to travel. Nashville's definitely a schlep from Boston, but there'll be a pair there (mine), for instance. 

post #12833 of 15160
Silent One, Goodwin's Hi End in Waltham
Edited by Happy Camper - 3/30/14 at 7:06pm
post #12834 of 15160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Camper View Post

Silent One, Goodwin's Hi End in Waltham

Hopefully they'll have the cans there for member rydenfan to indulge in...

post #12835 of 15160

Has anyone heard the he-6 PROPERLY driven and compared it to the Abyss properly driven.  I would appreciate any insights.

post #12836 of 15160
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsbrsvp View Post

Has anyone heard the he-6 PROPERLY driven and compared it to the Abyss properly driven.  I would appreciate any insights.

I heard the Abyss from an Auralic Vega into the Cavali tube amp, preferred the HE-6 off a much more modest Violectric DAC into a Luxman L507u (integrated amp, 110W per channel, listening off the speaker taps). Not enough time to give me much insight into the minutiae of the differences, I felt like the Abyss smoothed things out a little - for example distorted guitars lacked the last bit of the bite they should have. No doubt that'll be to the liking of many, but as a guitarist it isn't true to my ears.
post #12837 of 15160

yes I prefer HE-6, even HE-500 properly driven.

post #12838 of 15160
I initially didn't want to respond because I only briefly auditioned the Abyss in Paris last year but my impression mirrors what was mentioned above. I prefer the 6, both in absolute and certainly in price/quality/performance terms.
post #12839 of 15160

Thanks.  In that case I'll save the $4,000

post #12840 of 15160

I was curious about another HE-6 issue.   It seems like the issue of super powerful amping really makes a difference with these headphones.

 

I have an alternative to super power amping and I'm wondering if it will have similar results and would negate the need for a dedicated speaker amplifier to achieve the absolute best results;- equal to having the best matched speaker amp. on the planet as a match for the HE-6.

 

Here is my idea:

 

I have a M9.  From what I understand- when paired with the HE-6 I can achieve 90%-95% of their potential with this powerful headphone amp- but not 100%.  I refuse to buy a dedicated speaker amplifier because out of principle I want only one Dac, one amplifier, and several headphones.  I don't like so much equipment hanging around my home;- so I need the flexibility of the M9.  Now- maybe the M9 only reaches 90%-95% performance because my Dac is only outputting 2.5 volts using single ended IC's from my DAC or 4 volts output from my DAC using XLR which is about the norm.    However,- there are DAC's that you can increase the voltage output I believe up to 12 volts.  I think the Weiss 202 is one of these Dacs. The Ayon Skylla also allows one to increase output voltage from the DAC up to 12 volts.

 

Would not a triple or more increase in output voltage from the Dac negate the need for the last word in amplification power using the HE-6 because the DAC output would more than make up the difference in raw power?


Edited by rsbrsvp - 4/3/14 at 7:05am
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: High-end Audio Forum
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone