Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone - Page 853

post #12781 of 15255
Most dacs that are true balance sound better when used balanced. It's not that amping it's the dac chips them selves

As for amp output this matters as well.

What firmware on the Pwd mkii ?
243 is the latest .

Al
post #12782 of 15255
Quote:
Originally Posted by NZtechfreak View Post
 

OK, tried the balanced cables in the Auralic stack - PHEW! My reference tracks now sounding like they should to my ears. Interestingly, switching between RCA and the balanced there is a difference, but not as profound as my listening the other night would have suggested. I think something hinky must have been going on the other night on the PC audio front...

 

I do have an additional problem though, in my DAC-off the very brief impressions I have of the PWD2 today suggest it is better sounding than the Vega, which wars with my aesthetic OCD which demands I choose the Vega. Just waiting for the Vega to warm back up to allowing the exact mode before I draw any particular conclusions there though.

Then you can have a listen to the BDA-2 i have at the moment to confuse things even more? :D

post #12783 of 15255
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALRAINBOW View Post

Most dacs that are true balance sound better when used balanced. It's not that amping it's the dac chips them selves

As for amp output this matters as well.

What firmware on the Pwd mkii ?
243 is the latest .

Al

Yep, it's 243. Regarding my conjecture about the amp that was to do with the sound out of the Vega via RCA versus the sound out of the Reference 10 also via RCA. Seems after all it was just a ghost in the machine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revogamer View Post

Then you can have a listen to the BDA-2 i have at the moment to confuse things even more? biggrin.gif

Oh definitely, this needs to happen. You should bring it around one evening so we can listen to all three!

Oh, and now the Vega has worked itself back up to exact clock mode very little to separate it and the PWD2. On coarse clock cymbals sounded a bit splashy and artificial, but on exact there isn't an issue there. They aren't as forward as on the PWD2 though, but yet to figure if that is because the PWD2 truly has them more forward in presentation or whether it's separation is better and that draws attention to them more.
Edited by NZtechfreak - 3/23/14 at 5:17pm
post #12784 of 15255
The Pwd is a typical dac that has jitter issues like most . And this mKes some sounds better than others. Cymbals are greatly effected by jitter. So how it's connected , meaning the cable the CPU matter very much. Now find someone with an offramp 5 or a AP1/pp. And now both dacs will shine. And to me the pwdmkii becomes a pretty good dac .

Al
post #12785 of 15255
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALRAINBOW View Post

The Pwd is a typical dac that has jitter issues like most . And this mKes some sounds better than others. Cymbals are greatly effected by jitter. So how it's connected , meaning the cable the CPU matter very much. Now find someone with an offramp 5 or a AP1/pp. And now both dacs will shine. And to me the pwdmkii becomes a pretty good dac .

Al

Yeah, I need to hear these DACs being fed from an OR5 (a few others too). From what I've read the PWD2 sounds better from USB than via the Audiophilleo though, I would imagine the Vega may well sound better too with its well thought out USB implementation.
post #12786 of 15255
Honestly I only use the offramp with the Pwd mkii. And it is a much better dac. But it cost about 3k. But it makes almost any dac fantastic

l
post #12787 of 15255

I cant wait to hear it Al and I am going to try and seek one out.

post #12788 of 15255

I had the Vega for a few months last year and as much as I loved its looks, I couldn't live with it. IMO it isn't a musical DAC. At least not in my setup at the time which was DNA Stratus headamp with HD800.

post #12789 of 15255
Quote:
Originally Posted by cradon View Post
 

I had the Vega for a few months last year and as much as I loved its looks, I couldn't live with it. IMO it isn't a musical DAC. At least not in my setup at the time which was DNA Stratus headamp with HD800.

 

No particular problem with 'musicality', but then that tends to mean different things to different people and differs depending on the rest of the rig as you allude to. Early days, still forming opinions about the Vega and PWD2, enjoying the luxury of having both at home to try at my leisure :)

post #12790 of 15255
Having more than one DAC or amp
Really help bring out your own likes and dislikes faster
Al
post #12791 of 15255

Don't know if this is old news or not (I'm about 100 pages away from being completely caught up on this thread-- woot WOOT!), but you can now get black Audeze vegan pads from the website. (Crappy cellphone) pics below (they are blacker than they look in the pics, but still not jet black or anything):

 

 

post #12792 of 15255

Back in Black

Dropped it off with Howard at Audio Specialist (in the Valley) back in December.

I forgot how good 80w/ch sounds, and how heavy it is.

post #12793 of 15255
Quote:
Originally Posted by sluker View Post
 

Back in Black

Dropped it off with Howard at Audio Specialist (in the Valley) back in December.

I forgot how good 80w/ch sounds, and how heavy it is.

Very nice, sluker! Is it true that Sansui is short for "Sweet sensation?" :wink_face:

 

I gotta check Howard out this spring! Thanks for the virtual introduction, sluker.

 

- Team Sansui

post #12794 of 15255
Quote:
Originally Posted by NZtechfreak View Post

OK, tried the balanced cables in the Auralic stack - PHEW! My reference tracks now sounding like they should to my ears. Interestingly, switching between RCA and the balanced there is a difference, but not as profound as my listening the other night would have suggested. I think something hinky must have been going on the other night on the PC audio front...

I do have an additional problem though, in my DAC-off the very brief impressions I have of the PWD2 today suggest it is better sounding than the Vega, which wars with my aesthetic OCD which demands I choose the Vega. Just waiting for the Vega to warm back up to allowing the exact mode before I draw any particular conclusions there though.

May I ask how much time you are putting on these DACs? Both the Vega and PWD sound very different after a few hundred hours. I would not personally do any evaluations of brand new DACs
post #12795 of 15255
Quote:
Originally Posted by cradon View Post

I had the Vega for a few months last year and as much as I loved its looks, I couldn't live with it. IMO it isn't a musical DAC. At least not in my setup at the time which was DNA Stratus headamp with HD800.

That is shocking to me. I find it to be incredibly rich and detailed and quite warm and musical
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: High-end Audio Forum
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone