or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone - Page 845

post #12661 of 19654
Please teach me something: I have an HE-6 for audition (again) and have tried it with various speaker amps and also a small SMSL SA98E amp (Class T). The HE6 does surprisingly well with this T amp (no hiss when connected and no music playing), all other HPs (T1, AKG 712, etc) do exhibit annoying hissing when connected. How does one correct this mismatch? The SMSL is a tiny box and very convenient for bedside listening.
Thank you for your consideration.
post #12662 of 19654
There is a thread on hear speaker amps for headphones
It is very expanitary of the hiss you hear.
I think it has to do with gain of the amp
I know a resister network can help as it attenuated
The output and it lowers the noise floor but you need to have the reserve power
Cause of lose from the attenuation.

Al
post #12663 of 19654
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mambosenior View Post

Please teach me something: I have an HE-6 for audition (again) and have tried it with various speaker amps and also a small SMSL SA98E amp (Class T). The HE6 does surprisingly well with this T amp (no hiss when connected and no music playing), all other HPs (T1, AKG 712, etc) do exhibit annoying hissing when connected. How does one correct this mismatch? The SMSL is a tiny box and very convenient for bedside listening.
Thank you for your consideration.

 

It means the SMSL has noise problems, but the HE-6 is inefficient enough that it masks the noise. Your other headphones however are going to be unsuitable. A workaround is to slap on a resistor L-pad to chop down your output power... but quite frankly there are a lot of good options for small headphone amps and you are better served with one of those.

post #12664 of 19654
Quote:
Originally Posted by musicinmymind View Post

You already have the "Krell KAV-400xi", why do you need one more? 
I have a separate preamp tongue.gif

I never said I'm keeping both.
post #12665 of 19654
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhgourami View Post
 
I have a separate preamp tongue.gif

I never said I'm keeping both.

When do you estimate bringing the new piece of gear home?

post #12666 of 19654
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent One View Post

When do you estimate bringing the new piece of gear home?
After I send my pre to repairs and get it back. So maybe a month from now?
post #12667 of 19654
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhgourami View Post
 
After I send my pre to repairs and get it back. So maybe a month from now?

:thumb: Spring is in the air, what great timing! 

post #12668 of 19654
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALRAINBOW View Post

Craig from here has a new amp for the he 6
He loves it.
Ask him to post a mini review
He claims it has the detail of the FW F3
But bass of the krell
I have not had time to hear it yet.
Al

My new amps are the Wyred 4 Sound mAMP Monoblocks, I should have them either tomorrow or Saturday. I ordered them last saturday after auditioning them with my DAC and HE-6. I read this review after and was surprised how closely it matched my listening impressions, although it's not the exact same amp. http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue39/wyred4sound.htm 

post #12669 of 19654
I just read the review the amp has a fantastic heritage . Wow I cannot wait to hang and here them. Small footprint too are they stackable ?

Al
post #12670 of 19654
Quote:
Originally Posted by cradon View Post

My new amps are the Wyred 4 Sound mAMP Monoblocks, I should have them either tomorrow or Saturday. I ordered them last saturday after auditioning them with my DAC and HE-6. I read this review after and was surprised how closely it matched my listening impressions, although it's not the exact same amp. http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue39/wyred4sound.htm 
Ought to be fun to read this weekend.
post #12671 of 19654
He has my krell there to compare. And he has heard many amps as comparisons as well. The dac he is using is really detailed as well .

Al
post #12672 of 19654

:popcorn:

post #12673 of 19654
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALRAINBOW View Post

I just read the review the amp has a fantastic heritage . Wow I cannot wait to hang and here them. Small footprint too are they stackable ?

Al

I don't want to get ahead of myself but I felt they had great synergy with the rest of my gear. I left the audition overjoyed because after all the searching, buying, selling, I'd found the final piece of my End Game setup. The icing on the cake for me was there size (8"W x 3.5" x 8"D), weight (8 lbs.), they run really cool (can be stacked) and use very little electricity (Idle power consumption 9.5w.)

post #12674 of 19654
Man you really are cheap with the electric. He keeps saying that. LOL

Al
post #12675 of 19654
Quote:
Originally Posted by cradon View Post
 

I don't want to get ahead of myself but I felt they had great synergy with the rest of my gear. I left the audition overjoyed because after all the searching, buying, selling, I'd found the final piece of my End Game setup. The icing on the cake for me was there size (8"W x 3.5" x 8"D), weight (8 lbs.), they run really cool (can be stacked) and use very little electricity (Idle power consumption 9.5w.)

 

Are those Class A or A/B amps?

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: High-end Audio Forum
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone