Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone - Page 837

post #12541 of 14883
Quote:
Originally Posted by brunk View Post

The F4 is a current source amp, meaning you need a voltage buffer like a First Watt B1, or a serious preamp to give what it needs, the yin to the yang smily_headphones1.gif If you want a top quality buffer on the cheap, look into a Salas Hot Rodded DCB1 on DiyAudio. Incredible price/performance.

Huh? The F4 isn't a current source amp. It's a voltage source amp. F1 and (sorta) F2 are current source amps. And you wouldn't want to use a buffer like the B1 with the F4 because the F4 is already a buffer (gain of 1). So you'd need something with a little gain in front of it.

se
Edited by Steve Eddy - 3/2/14 at 8:17am
post #12542 of 14883
Quote:
Originally Posted by preproman View Post
 

 

I was thinking the Master 1 as well.  I'll be looking forward to your impressions..

Will do


Edited by brunk - 3/2/14 at 8:24am
post #12543 of 14883
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Eddy View Post


Huh? The F4 isn't a current source amp. It's a voltage source amp. F1 and (sorta) F2 are current source amps. And you wouldn't want to use a buffer like the B1 with the F4 because the F4 is already a buffer (gain of 1). So you'd need something with a little gain in front of it.

se

 

The F4s has no feedback and no voltage gain, only current gain.

post #12544 of 14883
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Eddy View Post


But the person I was replying to said specifically "60 ohms." So that's the number I was working off in my response.

se

50 ohms, 60 ohms, whatever.  Small difference.  The point was and is that the F1/F1J and F5 do not only put out 3 W into the HE-6.  They will do closer to 8 W, depending on the impedance of the specific set of HE-6's.

post #12545 of 14883

Hehe, love all the confusion going on. I think we all had long nights :tongue:


Edited by brunk - 3/2/14 at 8:28am
post #12546 of 14883
Quote:
Originally Posted by preproman View Post

The F4s has no feedback and no voltage gain, only current gain.

But that doesn't make it a current source. That makes it a buffer. And a buffer whose output is a voltage source, not a current source.

A voltage source, which describes the outputs of most every amplifier out there outputs a given voltage for a given input and is characterized ideally with an output impedance of zero ohms. The current through the output is a function of the load impedance.

A current source outputs a given current for a given input and is characterized ideally with an output impedance of infinity. The voltage across its output is a function of the load impedance.

se
post #12547 of 14883
Quote:
Originally Posted by brunk View Post

Hehe, love all the confusion going on. I think we all had long nights tongue.gif

Not me. I'm up from a full night's sleep and am bright eyed and bushy tailed. biggrin.gif

se
post #12548 of 14883
Quote:
Originally Posted by brunk View Post
 

Hehe, love all the confusion going on. I think we all had long nights :tongue:

Yeah, well, I'm currently a bit less thrilled.  But better to learn now than to regret later, will see what Renohifi says tomorrow.

post #12549 of 14883
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Eddy View Post


Not me. I'm up from a full night's sleep and am bright eyed and bushy tailed. biggrin.gif

se

Yes, you are right, It was me saying source, so I stand corrected. F4 still needs a voltage buffer though was my point I was trying to get across. :)

Heck, you could even bi-amp the thing to get the voltage/gain you need too.


Edited by brunk - 3/2/14 at 8:52am
post #12550 of 14883
Quote:
Originally Posted by brunk View Post

Yes, you are right, It was me saying source, so I stand corrected. F4 still needs a voltage buffer though was my point I was trying to get across. smily_headphones1.gif

You mean it needs a preamp. A voltage buffer has no gain. The F4 is already a voltage buffer.

se
post #12551 of 14883
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Eddy View Post


You mean it needs a preamp. A voltage buffer has no gain. The F4 is already a voltage buffer.

se

Yes, a preamp.

post #12552 of 14883

Does anyone know if it's possible to mod a headphone for wireless, like a bluetooth/RF kit or something? Thinking about experimenting with my HE-500. Not sure where I could  hide all the mess though...


Edited by brunk - 3/2/14 at 9:19am
post #12553 of 14883
Quote:
Originally Posted by brunk View Post

Does anyone know if it's possible to mod a headphone for wireless, like a bluetooth/RF kit or something? Thinking about experimenting with my HE-500. Not sure where I could  hide all the mess though...

Don't forget you'd also need to include an amp to drive the headphones, which would need a power supply. Could get rather bulky and heavy.

se
post #12554 of 14883
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Eddy View Post


Don't forget you'd also need to include an amp to drive the headphones, which would need a power supply. Could get rather bulky and heavy.

se

Yeah I was thinking of a small chip with a thin lipo battery or something and wrapping it behind the ear cups and through the headband or something.

post #12555 of 14883
Quote:
Originally Posted by musicinmymind View Post

Wow...100ohm, that should lot of resistance...are you using 100ohm in series and 3ohm in parallel?
I think the other way around. Whatever the L-pad configuration is.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: High-end Audio Forum
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone