+2 I've already got the tea selected for the afternoon.
Recent Images In This Thread
- productHiFiMAN HE-6 Planar Headphonetagged by System, 6/11/10
Related Forum Threads
- LCD-XC vs HiFiMan He-6 Last post on 8/11/15 at 4:48pm in High-end Audio Forum
- HiFiMAN Focus Pads durability concerns Last post on 12/31/15 at 5:14am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- 2nd pair of cans Last post on 1/7/15 at 9:03am in Headphones (full-size)
- HiFiMan he-560 vs he-6 size Last post on 11/18/14 at 8:43am in Headphones (full-size)
- Destroyed my HE-400, what to get now? Last post on 10/24/14 at 1:35am in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
Last edited: 11/28/16
~::I originally published this review on The Headphone List. Now I wish to share it with my Head-Fi fellows::~ ::Disclaimer:: I was given these headphones free of charge in exchange for my...
Greetings Head-fi! Today we are going to take a quick look at the MEMT X5, a punchy little micro-driver that's been gaining some popularity as of late. I'm a big fan of micro-drivers and am always...
Introduction I have owned these headphones for four years now. These were my first decent pair that I researched before buying. Before this I had just bought inexpensive headphones that happened...
Greetings Head-fi! Today we're going to be checking out a wireless Bluetooth speaker from Archeer, the A320. Archeer sells a pretty wide variety of products like cellphone cases, headphones,...
Introduction – Everyone knows earbuds, those cheap, tinny sounding throwaways included with almost every mp3 player. So then, it may come as a surprise that earbuds are making a comeback and not...
HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone - Page 830
Gear mentioned in this thread:
That's funny I sometimes get something called jasmin black pearl at the coffee bean. I wonder if they're the same thing.
I prefer earl grey as my go to tea.
You're finally 27 posts ahead of me, with a nicer tea set than my Teavanna Dragonfly
Back on topic, it's been a while since I spent time in the basement to listen to my HE-6 and EF6 amp, but I did last night and it still surprises me. I'm still concerned that although I can't actually stand to listen to it at full-volume that I wish that I had about 2-3 dB more headroom for "just in case".
I also wish that the EF6 RCA outputs on the back would bypass the volume pot. I'm feeding the EF6 with a Macbook and Apple TV as transports > Nuforce DAC-100 > HAP-100 preamp, where I have the STA-100 speaker amp plugged into the back of the EF6 since the preamp only has one output.
So, I have too many volume pots in the loop now, with one on the DAC + one on the preamp + one on the EF6. I like to leave the EF6 volume at 2-3 o'clock so it's not high enough to damage headphones if the DAC or preamp get cranked up to max by accident. But then this limits the speaker amp output. I may have to just add an RCA splitter to feed the preamp into the EF6 and speaker amp separately.
Other than that, I still think the EF6 is quite optimal for the HE-6, and it's one of my favorites with the HD800 (giving them energy, punch and excitement even for classic rock).
Edited by HeadphoneAddict - 3/1/14 at 9:42am
It is very good. Some amps tend to smear the bass response, or roll it off. Not with the F1. Its always tight and "just right". My only problem with the F1 is it needs to be adjusted for higher rails. Should be able to do +/- 20 V, but it starts to clip at 15. Hopefully, when I'm inside to do the JFET upgrade I'll be able to figure out why the low clipping level and fix it. Pappa thinks it may partly be due to my saggy mains. I now have a variac with enough output to be able to find out for sure.
Classical drums and big, Kodo-like drums are reproduced by my McCormack with aweness and crystal-clear impact! In fact, playing YIm Hok-man drums, I measured dynamic rms peaks as high as 25 V (!!). I always wonder if such bass qualities with HE-6 have a trade-off over other important aspects, i.e. treble smoothness or effortless musical details. I need to discover with a diy Firstwatt, or may be the new Shiit amp?
When you say dynamic rms peaks, are you saying you measured 25 Vrms with a true RMS volt meter? If so, HOLY COW!!!!
Edited by potterma - 3/1/14 at 12:04pm
Yes! It corresponds to about 73 W @ 8 ohm!!! I described in detail in a previous post. For totally uncompressed reproduction, HE-6 needs a clear 10 W @ 60 ohm (in class A :) ).
Edited by StryGR - 3/1/14 at 12:10pm
10W, right on the money just like I've found.
Or 20 W peak!
Edited by Happy Camper - 3/1/14 at 12:50pm
I can confirm that I got ear ringingly booming bass, good mids and ear piercingly high treble (higher than the HD800) with the Audeze LCD XC with my cell phone. They're not lying when they say you can drive their cans with a tiny amp. So you don't really need anything for that.
- HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone
- › MEE Audio Pinnacle P1 - $199 Dynamic Driver Flagship *Reviews 2nd... 38 seconds ago
- › DX200 Details, features and specifications 1st page. With WiFi and... 1 minute ago
- › Focal Utopia (& a little Elear) impressions and discussion 1 minute ago
- › Audeze EL-8: The EL-8 is a must-hear at CES 2015 1 minute ago
- › Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (Portable Headphones and IEMs) 1 minute ago
- › What headphones are you currently rocking? 3 minutes ago
- › Schiit Fulla 2 vs Schiit Magni 2U + FIIO D03K vs Schiit Vali 2 +... 3 minutes ago
- › Violectric DAC V850 - General Discussion and Impressions Thread 3 minutes ago
- › Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread 4 minutes ago
- › CanJam SoCal 2017 (April 8-9, 2017) 5 minutes ago
- › BEOPlay H9 - Wireless Noise-Cancelling Over-Ear Headpone by PinkyPowers
- › MEMT X5 In Ear Earphone by B9Scrambler
- › AKG K240 MKII Headphones by Napalmhardcore
- › ARCHEER 25W Bluetooth Home Speakers with Huge Bass and Superior... by B9Scrambler
- › 1MORE1008 Earbud by ryanjsoo
- › ORIVETI BASIC - Whole Aluminium Body, High Fidelity, Cable... by ustinj
- › Focal Utopia by Dillan
- › Shure SRH840 by Russell Folland
- › Seahf Metal Housing In-Ear Earbuds Headphones Noise Cancelling... by Byran
- › Fostex TH500RP by bagwell359
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear