Thank you for the answers...I know nothing about electronics and have 2 left hands but am eager to learn at least the theoretical basics. 'The art of Electronics' by Paul Horowitz just landed on my desk. Hefty tome, I'll have something to do other than browse the net during my long nights (I'm cursed with only needing 4 hours' sleep).
Recent Images In This Thread
- productHiFiMAN HE-6 Planar Headphonetagged by System, 6/11/10
Related Forum Threads
- Hifiman HE-6 + aftermarket cables (priced to move) Last post on Yesterday at 12:25 am in Headphones for Sale / Trade
- MATCHING HEADPHONES, CABLES AND AMPLIFIERS: HARDER THAN IT SHOULD BE (Part 1 of 2) Last post on 8/9/14 at 5:49pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Why would those with HE-6 prefer speaker amps? Last post on 9/16/14 at 12:28pm in Sound Science
- FS: BNIB Hifiman HE-6 HE6 - free worldwide shipping and paypal fees Last post on 6/30/14 at 10:22pm in Headphones for Sale / Trade
- Synergy between first-party amps & headphones Last post on 6/9/14 at 12:46pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 7/25/14
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))Last edited: 7/21/14
For larger views of any of the photos (1200 x 800) - please click on the individual images INTRODUCTION I first reviewed the original Brainwavz R3 back in December 2013, and unfortunately...
Not too much to say here other than that these headphones are stellar! I mostly listen to my vinyl collection with these bad boys and it's an absolute joy. I purchased an external amp to power them...
Man are these awesome , they're cheap..but as all Beyers they sound fu**** awesome , these are clean , fun and dynamic , they sound excellent Let me preface this by telling this...
This is actually the first "over-head" headphone i ever bought, but compared to my philips and LG tone+ this one is a lot more for 70$, i mainly use it on my gaming rig with sound card...
Ok we'll these were my first over ear headphones I fell in love with and there's plenty of reasons for that, I'll talk about the durability, comfort level and mind blowing bass first -...
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))
HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone - Page 818
Gear mentioned in this thread:
Edited by NZtechfreak - 2/26/14 at 10:21pm
Heard my HE-6 off the speaker taps of a Luxman integrated amp today (110W/channel, will need to search up the model name later). Yegods wow. Listened to the Abyss off a few different amps too, preferred the HE-6. The Abyss made distorted guitars sound slightly polite and lacked the bass impact/slam and dynamics overall in comparison. Of course may not have been the best pairings for the Abyss, but on each it had very much the same character to my ears, so I don't know that any substantial changes would be expected. Converted a few guys instore over the course of the afternoon (to both the HE-6 and speaker amps), I think the salesman was wishing they sold HiFiMan headphones.
can we assume that "Yegods wow" means it is better than the Taurus?
How much voltage would you suggest?
While I can't speak for Potterma, 18-20v is a reasonable number. Current limiting/clipping is the main limitation though.
Edited by brunk - 2/27/14 at 8:27am
Yep, better than the Taurus. I spent some time listening via their Taurus so I could try a few DACs afterwards and the Taurus still sounded mighty fine, good enough that you'd never feel like you were missing out on anything when listening via the Taurus if you hadn't just tried it on something better if you know what I mean (I won't be pining for a better amp pairing when I return home to my Taurus, put it that way).
I really enjoyed seeing the guy who had been listening to the Abyss for an hour keep coming back to the HE-6, he'd pop them on and keep saying things like 'this is so impressive', and my favourite quote - 'I'm a believer now'.
Edited by NZtechfreak - 2/27/14 at 1:42pm
Why? space more than anything - my desk is small enough as it is :P
It's not as bad as i make it sound; just funny more than anything - may look at custom built~
- HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › Violectric HPA V281 - Vorsprung durch Balanced - updated with... 1 minute ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 2 minutes ago
- › DGS100 Appreciation thread. The game changing budget-fi two-way... 3 minutes ago
- › Trying to find the perfect over-ear headphones to invest in 5 minutes ago
- › Are the Sennheiser HD650's worth another $100? 6 minutes ago
- › Aurisonics ROCKETS: Appreciation Thread 8 minutes ago
- › Rockbox for iBasso DX50 + cwm recovery Latest Update: 2014-09-15 8 minutes ago
- › Review: Questyle CMA800 Current Mode Amplifier 8 minutes ago
- › = HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread = 9 minutes ago
- › New headphone amplifier from Bryston 11 minutes ago
- › Brainwavz R3 Revised Edition by Brooko
- › Beyerdynamic DT 880 Pro 250 OHM Semi-open reference headphone by WavyGravy1
- › Beyerdynamic DTX 710 Trendline Stereo Headphone by MrTechAgent
- › Marshall Headphones - 'Major' Over Ear (Black) by Kordz
- › Sony MDR-XB500 40mm XB Diaphragm Driver Extra Bass Headphones by 12cc2
- › VSONIC VSD3S Black High Fidelity Professional Quality Stereo... by Tom22
- › AKG K 550 by QBoQBo
- › HiFiMAN HE-400i by smellyfungus
- › MrSpeakers Alpha Dog (T50RP Mod) by hans030390
- › Fostex TH 900 by archeryc
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)