Thank you for the answers...I know nothing about electronics and have 2 left hands but am eager to learn at least the theoretical basics. 'The art of Electronics' by Paul Horowitz just landed on my desk. Hefty tome, I'll have something to do other than browse the net during my long nights (I'm cursed with only needing 4 hours' sleep).
Recent Images In This Thread
- productHiFiMAN HE-6 Planar Headphonetagged by System, 6/11/10
Related Forum Threads
- LCD-XC vs HiFiMan He-6 Last post on 8/11/15 at 4:48pm in High-end Audio Forum
- HiFiMAN Focus Pads durability concerns Last post on 12/31/15 at 5:14am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- 2nd pair of cans Last post on 1/7/15 at 9:03am in Headphones (full-size)
- HiFiMan he-560 vs he-6 size Last post on 11/18/14 at 8:43am in Headphones (full-size)
- Destroyed my HE-400, what to get now? Last post on 10/24/14 at 1:35am in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
Last edited: 11/28/16
For larger (1200x800) images, simply click any photoINTRODUCTIONAhhh – the portable amplifier – one of the audio enthusiast's more misunderstood tools / assets. For the beginner, there...
Preamble: I have already reviewed some of 1MORE’s and Xiaomi’s audio products in the past and all of them offered a great sound experience for their very reasonable price point. The...
I love the openness and light weight of earbuds, unfortunately those earbuds I tried such as OMX95, MX375, were lack of bass and musicality. Then I found Fiio EM3 is under $10 and got good review,...
I had K3003i with a custom cable. I bough it used and the cable had been replaced and the seller assured not sound different to original I loved it. I used it with Fiio X3 2nd Gen. I liked the...
Compared to nothing (in the way of noise cancelling) these are better than that. Damning with faint praise? Yeah, I guess so, but really what can you expect for the price. Sony makes a product...
HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone - Page 818
Gear mentioned in this thread:
Edited by NZtechfreak - 2/26/14 at 10:21pm
Heard my HE-6 off the speaker taps of a Luxman integrated amp today (110W/channel, will need to search up the model name later). Yegods wow. Listened to the Abyss off a few different amps too, preferred the HE-6. The Abyss made distorted guitars sound slightly polite and lacked the bass impact/slam and dynamics overall in comparison. Of course may not have been the best pairings for the Abyss, but on each it had very much the same character to my ears, so I don't know that any substantial changes would be expected. Converted a few guys instore over the course of the afternoon (to both the HE-6 and speaker amps), I think the salesman was wishing they sold HiFiMan headphones.
can we assume that "Yegods wow" means it is better than the Taurus?
How much voltage would you suggest?
While I can't speak for Potterma, 18-20v is a reasonable number. Current limiting/clipping is the main limitation though.
Edited by brunk - 2/27/14 at 8:27am
Yep, better than the Taurus. I spent some time listening via their Taurus so I could try a few DACs afterwards and the Taurus still sounded mighty fine, good enough that you'd never feel like you were missing out on anything when listening via the Taurus if you hadn't just tried it on something better if you know what I mean (I won't be pining for a better amp pairing when I return home to my Taurus, put it that way).
I really enjoyed seeing the guy who had been listening to the Abyss for an hour keep coming back to the HE-6, he'd pop them on and keep saying things like 'this is so impressive', and my favourite quote - 'I'm a believer now'.
Edited by NZtechfreak - 2/27/14 at 1:42pm
Why? space more than anything - my desk is small enough as it is :P
It's not as bad as i make it sound; just funny more than anything - may look at custom built~
- HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone
- › Best IEM for metal and rock music at ~1000USD 9 seconds ago
- › Walnut Hi-Fi V2 WAV (& MP3) Player by wt - 👌 screenless budget... 15 seconds ago
- › The Stax Thread III 20 seconds ago
- › For 6AS7G tube rollers here ..... 41 seconds ago
- › NEW SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A FLAGSHIP HI-END DAP!!! 1 minute ago
- › Known bugs/issues with latest X7 firmware 1 minute ago
- › Soo...There is drop for an SMSL balanced headphones amp 0_0 1 minute ago
- › Beyerdynamic Xelento! 1 minute ago
- › Campfire Audio Vega (and Dorado and Lyra II) - Head-Fi TV 2 minutes ago
- › Astell&Kern AK380 3 minutes ago
- › Shinrico E11 Portable Headphone Amplifier by crabdog
- › FiiO A5 Portable Headphone Amplifier by Brooko
- › 1MORE Triple Driver In-Ear Headphones with In-line Microphone and... by HiFiChris
- › FiiO EM3 Open Earbud Earphones with In-Line Microphone (Black) by Joeng Zeon
- › AKG K3003 by sanjeewasam
- › Sony MDRNC8/BLK Noise Canceling Headphone, Black by dalesky
- › Bose QuietComfort 25 Headphones by dalesky
- › Don Scorpio Bass Colour by B9Scrambler
- › Xiaomi Mi Hybrid Earphone In-Ear Headphones Multi-unit Circle Iron... by junhawng
- › Bang & Olufsen BeoPlay H3 by 8hours
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear