I have it on my schedule and want to hang with you there so looking forward to getting out there. Where the Meir just fell short on the HE6 was on the Copland disc . it does not have enogh to drive them on large scale recordings to get tht best out of the he6 much like what I found on the GSX MK 11. it works with small scal recordings and acoustic recordings but not as good as it does on the WA5.
Recent Images In This Thread
- productHiFiMAN HE-6 Planar Headphonetagged by System, 6/11/10
Related Forum Threads
- LCD-XC vs HiFiMan He-6 Last post on 8/11/15 at 4:48pm in High-end Audio Forum
- HiFiMAN Focus Pads durability concerns Last post on 12/31/15 at 5:14am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- 2nd pair of cans Last post on 1/7/15 at 9:03am in Headphones (full-size)
- HiFiMan he-560 vs he-6 size Last post on 11/18/14 at 8:43am in Headphones (full-size)
- Destroyed my HE-400, what to get now? Last post on 10/24/14 at 1:35am in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
Last edited: 11/28/16
Introductory word They say that once you go black.... yeah. This is quite self-explanatory. And behold, black iFi Audio product emerged. I can only say - finally. Cheers to 'em English folks....
Today is my long overdue review of the Cayin i5. I had trouble getting this review complete due to a holiday emergency and a slow recovery however, better late than never. *disclaimer* I've...
Company 64 Audio (former 1964 Ears) is a well-known maker of top-level multidriver IEMs. They are offering a big range of models, but the most attractive feature of their earphones is APEX...
In my self-imposed haughtiness and superiority, I have always told Alfred and Martin that I will be the high-end reviewer for this blog, and that they should be responsible for more budget...
I try not to be an extremist and I try to give most products I review a decent amount of hearing before making any judgments on their quality but when a product reaches with a level of quality I...
HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone - Page 801
Gear mentioned in this thread:
Try demanding recordings . i use the Copland Reference recording HDCD disc because it will let me know if it can handle the dynamic range. Thats whats important . The Stratus was here for 2 weeks but I did not have the he6 here at that time. The issue I had with the Stratus is the glued on feet on the bottom of them amp. Check that out and on that unit the glue melted and the feet fell off. Runs some heat on a shelf. I liked the sound but wanted aa speaker amp solution so the WA5 made more sense. The 2A3 tubes only put out 2-3 watts so not sure if it can handle dynamic range on the he6.
The Meir plays the smaller group recordings and acoustic music to decent levels all the way open on the volume pot. The WA5 gets the same volume at one third the way up. The difference is the WA5 sails through the demanding dynamic range on the Copland and you can feel the slam of the orchestra with speed and finesse. The WA5 headroom with my EML 300B are driving them as well as the speaker amp-s I used them with in the past.
As for the WA 5. I think it's a fine tube amp that does not have the tube sound or very little of it. And for some reason there is something about glowing tubes and listening to music. I wish I had the money to buy a tube amp setup for the office rig , but I would need three stereo amps to do the job. Do not for now.
Edited by ALRAINBOW - 2/16/14 at 5:04pm
let me know what you think
You guys are lucky with the regional meets, I'd love to do something similar when I'll finally be posted back to Europe (hopefully around autumn this year). Don't know if there would be sufficient interest (judging by this site there are members enough but we're scattered all over the place) but I'll try to set something up then. Best way to learn to know gear is to meet people and audition their stuff.
PS: in order to see how an amp deals with dynamic range I use the Firebird suite by Stravinsky as a reference. Copland would also be good though -not as familiar with his work-, the main thing is to remain consistent.
SoCal.... LoCal... Hotel Del to Hollywood Hotel, one of my ears raised up doggy-style!
Edited by Silent One - 2/16/14 at 10:56pm
I feel another vacation coming on. Is an Aleph 3 considered a carry on?
- HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone
- › Three Word Story 6 seconds ago
- › I need to remove audio from video files without losing quality 22 seconds ago
- › Upgrade options &Thoughts: higher bit rate vs balanced setup 1 minute ago
- › Bowers & Wilkins P9 (MINT) - price includes shipping 2 minutes ago
- › Band Name Game II 2 minutes ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 3 minutes ago
- › ATTICUS and EIKON, the new dynamic driver headphones from ZMF 4 minutes ago
- › OPPO-PM2 headphones - inc. shipping 4 minutes ago
- › Testing Hi Res Audio for Upsampling 4 minutes ago
- › Earbuds Round-Up 5 minutes ago
- › Cayin i5 by glassmonkey
- › iFi Audio micro iDSD by 00lunar
- › 64 Audio U12 Universal In-Ear Monitor by cleg
- › qdc Balanced armature type (BA type) 3SH （QDC-4024） by prismstorm
- › Sangdo Headset Mic for Sony MH EX300AP L36H L36I C6603 LT26II LT28H... by Griffith
- › Denon AH-D600 by theminstrel
- › Sennheiser HD 598 by theminstrel
- › Burson Audio Cable+ by markbrauer
- › Audio-Technica ATH-M50x by theminstrel
- › FiiO E17 by theminstrel
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear