Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone - Page 785

post #11761 of 15369
I wish the person would post what the situation is
As in specs of Amp and tea sister box internal resisters otherwise
We are all just speculating in this. As I stated
I tried it with 5 amps besides my woo wa 5
And as they sounded a little different but not at all bad and all sounded very good
So post or stop already.

Al
post #11762 of 15369
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armaegis View Post
 

Pick an amp with low power/low gain and skip the box entirely.

 

For me, I'll need to address my amps being transformer-coupled. How do I address this with amps I already have? I'm selling my inventory of Vintage lovelies - Sansui G-22000; Pioneer SX-D7000; Pioneer SX-650, so I need to resolve the tube amp pairing.

:popcorn:

post #11763 of 15369

I already got an amp UPA-200, which has 125W x 2....

 

now I am struck between 7 'o clock and 7:30, with almost no play in volume control. With this setup it is very difficult set volume you like.

post #11764 of 15369
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALRAINBOW View Post

I wish the person would post what the situation is
As in specs of Amp and tea sister box internal resisters otherwise
We are all just speculating in this. As I stated
I tried it with 5 amps besides my woo wa 5
And as they sounded a little different but not at all bad and all sounded very good
So post or stop already.

Al

 

Well here is the situation,

 

with Lyr->UPA 200->hifiman adapter->HE-6, -->  I can turn the volume level till 9 'o Clock (80 db) which gives some room on volume knob, but He-6 sounds like grado with little or no bass and 2D presentation

 

 

with Lyr->UPA 200->HE-6 (without adapter) --> great bass, 3D presentation, great SQ. But I struck between 7 o'Clock - 7:30, it is very difficult to control volume. Also risk of blowing up HE-6 accidentally. 

post #11765 of 15369
Well what is in the resister box you are using
??
It sounds like you have an attenuation problem.

Al
Edited by ALRAINBOW - 2/9/14 at 7:28pm
post #11766 of 15369
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALRAINBOW View Post

Well what is in the resister box you are using
??
It sounds like you have an attenuation problem.

Al

 

I am using stock HifiMan Adapter which has 

Resistors in parallel: 10 Ohm

Resistors in series: 25 Ohm

 

 

Amp (UPA-200) is 125w /per channel at 8 ohms.

post #11767 of 15369
That is your problem.
On my krell I use a 10 ohm and 2 ohm in series across the speaker terminals
And the headphone across the two ohm resister
It gives plenty of attenuation and gives the amp about 9 ohms
It works fine. 25 ohms in series is a lot of resistance
And it will effect the bass due to damping factor
Put up a post on ps for headphones and get help
Your amp is fine but your setup stinks
Now maybe someone will tell you it's fine
Well if it was fine it sound that way.

Al
post #11768 of 15369
6moons was not very positive about using the lyr as a preamp, in part because of the high gain. That may be part of the issue here. The UPA-200 has fairly high gain (29db) as well.
post #11769 of 15369
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALRAINBOW View Post

That is your problem.
On my krell I use a 10 ohm and 2 ohm in series across the speaker terminals
And the headphone across the two ohm resister
It gives plenty of attenuation and gives the amp about 9 ohms
It works fine. 25 ohms in series is a lot of resistance
And it will effect the bass due to damping factor
Put up a post on ps for headphones and get help
Your amp is fine but your setup stinks
Now maybe someone will tell you it's fine
Well if it was fine it sound that way.

Al

 

Can you please post the Model number or link to the two ohm Resister you are using for headphone.... I will go to an local Audio shop to get 25 ohms replaced.

 

having volume at 7 o' clock on the premap could also result in damping factor....I somehow feel the SQ is that clean

post #11770 of 15369
Quote:
Originally Posted by gjc11028 View Post

6moons was not very positive about using the lyr as a preamp, in part because of the high gain. That may be part of the issue here. The UPA-200 has fairly high gain (29db) as well.

 

yes I have read it, I need to get an passive preamp

post #11771 of 15369
Quote:
Originally Posted by musicinmymind View Post
 

 

Can you please post the Model number or link to the two ohm Resister you are using for headphone.... I will go to an local Audio shop to get 25 ohms replaced.

 

having volume at 7 o' clock on the premap could also result in damping factor....I somehow feel the SQ is that clean

 

The 25 Ohms resistor is power rated at 1/4 watt, get a 2 Ohm resistor rated at 1/4 watt also.

post #11772 of 15369
Quote:
Originally Posted by musicinmymind View Post

yes I have read it, I need to get an passive preamp
If you stay with the Bitfrost you will. If you do the Mac, you won't.

NHT sells a passive RCA for about $120. http://www.nhthifi.com/PVC
post #11773 of 15369
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Camper View Post

If you stay with the Bitfrost you will. If you do the Mac, you won't.

NHT sells a passive RCA for about $120. http://www.nhthifi.com/PVC

"+/- 2 dB DC to light"? What horse ****. If they can't get that right how is anyone supposed to believe ANYTHING they print? It may be an OK passive, I have no idea. Really irritates me when people so irresponsibly and seemly not knowing any better spout total B S as truth. Seemly not knowing any better, but certainly should since they are " in the business".
Ok off my soap box...
post #11774 of 15369
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent One View Post
 

 

For me, I'll need to address my amps being transformer-coupled. How do I address this with amps I already have? I'm selling my inventory of Vintage lovelies - Sansui G-22000; Pioneer SX-D7000; Pioneer SX-650, so I need to resolve the tube amp pairing.

:popcorn:

 

Well if the amp is already set then there's not much to do unless you know enough to bring the gain down. If it has multiple output taps you might try a different one.

post #11775 of 15369
Quote:
Originally Posted by gjc11028 View Post

6moons was not very positive about using the lyr as a preamp, in part because of the high gain. That may be part of the issue here. The UPA-200 has fairly high gain (29db) as well.

Yep, this is the main problem:

1) Using Lyr as preamp

2) Emotiva amps have a fairly high gain to make matters worse.

 

Solution:

1) Get a passive preamp

  - Make sure the passive pre is compatible with the Emotiva's input impedance though.


Edited by brunk - 2/9/14 at 10:48pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: High-end Audio Forum
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone