I did it. Couldn't resist buying an HE6 on sale on evil bay to complement my Woo WA5. I pulled the trigger. I hope this will be a very good match... it better be.
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Hifiman HE-4 Impressions Thread Last post on Today at 9:36 am in Headphones (full-size)
- Head-Direct HE-6 Orthodynamic Headphone Last post on 1/21/11 at 6:35am in Headphones (full-size)
- Whatever happened to the HiFiMan dynamic headphone? Last post on 8/1/11 at 7:00am in Headphones (full-size)
- Senn HD650 or HD600? Last post on 10/16/13 at 3:22am in Headphones (full-size)
- Does it get much better than the HD800? Last post on 11/22/13 at 3:37pm in High-end Audio Forum
Last edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
Review to come when i have some time. Bottom line is, if you can pick these up on sale, they are a good buy for what they are. They are fairly comfortable, have ample bass which sadly lacks a...
Okay, these are my thoughts after a few hours. I recognize that's it's only been a few hours, but my opinion rarely changes with additional time. Initial Impressions: As has been...
I recently parted with my V-Moda Crossfade M-100 DJ Headphones and decided to move into something new. I had heard a lot about the Sennheiser HD 8 DJ and had a chance to own a pair for a Discount...
To be able to value my review I think it is important to mention some things about my preferences and experience with audio equipment and writing reviews. This is my first review for audio gear and...
Hifiman EF2A Review Overview:This is my first headphone amp review and I'm just going to review the amp section of this headphone amp as the DAC is nothing special, a bit better than most computer...
HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone - Page 783post #11731 of 139852/8/14 at 7:29am
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #11732 of 139852/8/14 at 7:38ampost #11733 of 139852/8/14 at 7:42amQuote:
Or you just didn't like that particular pairing. Wattage isn't all that matters.
Edited by Armaegis - 2/8/14 at 7:46ampost #11734 of 139852/8/14 at 7:42ampost #11735 of 139852/8/14 at 8:14ampost #11736 of 139852/8/14 at 11:07ampost #11737 of 139852/8/14 at 11:25amQuote:
Is that using the headphone jack of the SX or the speaker terminals?post #11738 of 139852/8/14 at 12:14pmpost #11739 of 139852/8/14 at 5:16pmArmaegis,you could be right that i didn't enjoy the pairing but then again, if the music sounded thin and two dimensional, not to mention having sizzling treble, i would conclude, imo, that the cans are not driven ideally.
Vlach, it was thru the headphone jack.post #11740 of 139852/8/14 at 5:23pmQuote:Originally Posted by musicinmymind
My neighbor is selling his 3 months old Mcintosh D100 for 1500$, he got it new and rarely used it. His recording studio did not kick off as planned, it has 3 years transferable warranty.
If I buy it will replace bifrost -> lyr as dac+preamp for Emotiva UPA-200 -> HE-6. Problem is he is not allowing me check with Emotiva and HE-6, I did try with HD650 for a short time and it sounds as good bifrost->lyr->HD650, if not better.
Please suggest, using D100 as DAC+ Preamp would be substantial upgrade compared to Bifrost->Lyr on HE-6 setup. This would be my end game in DAC, will not be able to afford a replacement for long long time.
Check about the warranty with McIntosh first because it is my understanding that McIntosh warranties are not transfarable.post #11741 of 139852/8/14 at 7:43pmI am qualifying this by saying I've not heard any of the gear being used but the HE-6.
You are running a Bitfrost/Lyr then through the UPAs/HE-6.
You want to replace the Bitfrost/Lyr with the D100 & Emo UPA-200s.
IMO, if you can spring for the Mac through the 200s, it's going to be a sonic upgrade you'll wow over. There are better amps but what you have will content you for a long time if not completely. Preproman had similar Emo amps and liked them until the space heater came to the audio dungeon.post #11742 of 139852/8/14 at 8:06pmQuote:
I don't know that amp but if you were listening through the headphone jack, are you sure the full 5W were available? Many headphone jacks turn down the available power to a huge extent, they need to be usable with all kinds of cans.post #11743 of 139852/8/14 at 8:14pmpost #11744 of 139852/8/14 at 11:35pmXenophon, if you are referring to the MJ, then of course its the headphone jack as that is the sole headphone output. But if you are referring to the SX1280, which i used to own, then again it was also thru the headphone jack and with the 20db attenuation on as well. That piece of vintage awesomeness puts out 120w.If i am not mistaken, these vintage amps do not attenuate the power thru its headphone jacks like more modern equipment do. I could be wrong but my ears tell me otherwise.post #11745 of 139852/9/14 at 5:20am
Thanks guys, I look forward to the HE6 very much. I hope it would quench my thirst for the time being before I get Stax hungry. Though my dissatisfaction with my current cans (HD800) lessened after I EQ'd foobar and found that tamed HD800's treble peak making it a lot more listenable (albeit losing some top end sparkle). Will report with HE6 pairing with WA5 when I receive it.
DG, I bought the U52 under your excellent recommendation I'd say it shaped the sound just as much as the 300B (which is 50% more expensive).
Edited by lojay - 2/9/14 at 5:21am
- HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price Range
- › = HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread = 5 seconds ago
- › The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread 17 seconds ago
- › Audio Technica ATH-A900X vs Audio Technica ATH-W1000x? 25 seconds ago
- › Nad D Range 43 seconds ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 56 seconds ago
- › Formula 1-fi (Read the First Post!) 1 minute ago
- › An audiophile and petrolhead's journal: Buckle up! 1 minute ago
- › Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (Headphones, IEMs, Amps, DACs) 2 minutes ago
- › Music Game IX 2 minutes ago
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (Update: 7/9/2014:... 3 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser MOMENTUM On-Ear Headphone by Wyd4
- › HiFiMAN HE-560 by MattTCG
- › Sennheiser HD8 DJ On Ear Headphones by DJPhiltheThrill
- › FiiO X5 High-res Portable Music Player by Cachicamo
- › Hifiman EF2A Usb Headphone Amplifier by kman1211
- › ROCK JAW ALFA GENUS by TrollDragon
- › Sony MDR-MA900 Over the Head Style Headphones by kman1211
- › Sennheiser HD 201 Headphones by MarcadoStalker7
- › NCredible NErgy In-Ear Headphones by Monster® by gopats1479
- › Schiit Asgard 2 by Hi-Fi'er
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Exercise Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Wireless Headphones)