Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone - Page 781

post #11701 of 14031
I love lcd-3 and didnt prefer the he-6 over it, but kept it because it works better as an all rounder. I loved my lcd-3 really great headphone but he-6 works better for me. Especially since he-6 is better with vocals and i prefer the bass of he-6 over lcd-3s fuller and bloomier bass

Th 900 kept due to easy drivability + portable and for work. Its. Very versatile headphone that works as well off an ipod as off the gsx mk2.
Edited by Dubstep Girl - 2/2/14 at 8:10pm
post #11702 of 14031
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audio Jester View Post

Thanks Alrainbow for the Stax 009 vs HE-6 comparison.

Do people prefer SS or tubes for the HE-6?

 

I think it really comes down to an amp's design for either. I bought my HE-6 to go with Chips (SS). And was pleasantly surprised how well it went with Glass (Tubes). Now it's the latter that gets more time in the listening room. 

post #11703 of 14031
It's all preference. For me I like that way the tubes glow it adds to the experience. But I do not like the tube sound. I have the woo WA5. With the upgrades it has less tube sounds and gets close to solid state. The krell that I have I do like better but it is close in sound.
But EQ about a 4 db cutt from 150 down with the he 6 makes for a really good experience .
Al
post #11704 of 14031

My tube mono blocks sound immediate. Lack the slow hazy tube sound or tubey... tuba sound. :tongue: 

post #11705 of 14031
That is the tube amps I like. My Wes and WA5 do not have that tuby sounding haze. And for the stax 009. I think the Wes is best. I have a BHSE on order and I have heard the BHSE twice Already but I think I prefer the woo Wes . When the BHSE comes in I will listen and most likely sell,it .

Al
post #11706 of 14031
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALRAINBOW View Post

That is the tube amps I like. My Wes and WA5 do not have that tuby sounding haze. And for the stax 009. I think the Wes is best. I have a BHSE on order and I have heard the BHSE twice Already but I think I prefer the woo Wes . When the BHSE comes in I will listen and most likely sell,it .

Al

 

Speaking of Stax, I actually had the SR-009's ordered last summer. Near the end of a long 2 month wait, Tokyo notified WooAudio that due to unexpected demand, the wait would extend another 30 days. :mad: :rolleyes:

 

Jack gave me the option to either get a refund or another headphone. "H-e-l-l-o  HiFiMAN!" :normal_smile : So that's how I eventually joined the group.

post #11707 of 14031
Well you made the right choice . And stax has much more than demand issues right now. Even though hifiman has there own quality control issues. It's the better can. Just try the EQ as I said it really opens up the sound .

Al
post #11708 of 14031

I just noticed 423 hours on the clock for the HiFiMANs. Looks like I may finally reach the big "500" by month end.... such a short month.

post #11709 of 14031
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubstep Girl View Post

I love lcd-3 and didnt prefer the he-6 over it, but kept it because it works better as an all rounder. I loved my lcd-3 really great headphone but he-6 works better for me. Especially since he-6 is better with vocals and i prefer the bass of he-6 over lcd-3s fuller and bloomier bass

Th 900 kept due to easy drivability + portable and for work. Its. Very versatile headphone that works as well off an ipod as off the gsx mk2.

Really?
post #11710 of 14031
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony1110 View Post


Really?

 

Yeah, less resistive headphones don't work as well with amplifiers as the ones with more resistance, especially in dynamics (Not orthodynamics).

 

That's what I think ! (And I'm pretty sure of it)

post #11711 of 14031
Quote:
Originally Posted by XVampireX View Post
 

 

Yeah, less resistive headphones don't work as well with amplifiers as the ones with more resistance, especially in dynamics (Not orthodynamics).

 

That's what I think ! (And I'm pretty sure of it)

 

Not the case with all amps.  The GS-X mk2 has 3 gain settings that makes the amp very flexible - it works great with IEMs to full sized cans - Denons and Fostex as well.

post #11712 of 14031
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony1110 View Post

Really?

As far as being able to drive and sounding decent, yes.

Does it sound as good as off gsx?, of course not!
post #11713 of 14031
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubstep Girl View Post

As far as being able to drive and sounding decent, yes.

Does it sound as good as off gsx?, of course not!

That's what I thought you meant ;-)
post #11714 of 14031

My neighbor is selling his 3 months old Mcintosh D100 for 1500$, he got it new and rarely used it. His recording studio did not kick off as planned, it has 3 years transferable warranty.

 

If I buy it will replace bifrost -> lyr as dac+preamp for Emotiva UPA-200 -> HE-6. Problem is he is not allowing me check with Emotiva and HE-6, I did try with HD650 for a short time and it sounds as good bifrost->lyr->HD650, if not better.

 

Please suggest, using D100 as DAC+ Preamp would be substantial upgrade compared to Bifrost->Lyr on HE-6 setup. This would be my end game in DAC, will not be able to afford a replacement for long long time.  

 

 

http://www.mcintoshlabs.com/us/Products/pages/ProductDetails.aspx?CatId=newproducts&ProductId=D100

post #11715 of 14031
Quote:
Originally Posted by musicinmymind View Post
 

My neighbor is selling his 3 months old Mcintosh D100 for 1500$, he got it new and rarely used it. His recording studio did not kick off as planned, it has 3 years transferable warranty.

 

If I buy it will replace bifrost -> lyr as dac+preamp for Emotiva UPA-200 -> HE-6. Problem is he is not allowing me check with Emotiva and HE-6, I did try with HD650 for a short time and it sounds as good bifrost->lyr->HD650, if not better.

 

Please suggest, using D100 as DAC+ Preamp would be substantial upgrade compared to Bifrost->Lyr on HE-6 setup. This would be my end game in DAC, will not be able to afford a replacement for long long time.  

 

 

http://www.mcintoshlabs.com/us/Products/pages/ProductDetails.aspx?CatId=newproducts&ProductId=D100

 

 

Check this: http://www.head-fi.org/t/698941/review-the-stunning-mcintosh-d100

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: High-end Audio Forum
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone