or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone - Page 771

post #11551 of 19444

Currently the best amp I have is a Music Hall a25.2 that I haven't been able to sell. Pretty lucky I guess :)

On top is my Audio-Gd NFB-17 and a modified HE adapter with Rob's 6+2ohms configuration, giving around 12dB attenuation.

 

 

Tomorrow I'll be picking up a Yamaha M-4. Very excited to see how it compares to the a25.2 :D

post #11552 of 19444
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anda View Post
 

Currently the best amp I have is a Music Hall a25.2 that I haven't been able to sell. Pretty lucky I guess :)

On top is my Audio-Gd NFB-17 and a modified HE adapter with Rob's 6+2ohms configuration, giving around 12dB attenuation.

 

 

 

Tomorrow I'll be picking up a Yamaha M-4. Very excited to see how it compares to the a25.2 :D

 

 

you are using HE adapter boxes, it use resistors in series so you may not be getting the full force of the power amp section at all, is it safe to use Speaker AMP with adapter with HE-6 or adapter only safe way to ensure short circuit does not happen?  

 

any difference in SQ with or without adapter?

post #11553 of 19444
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent One View Post
 

+2  Looks like the path I took... until I veered off into the goodie store for some ice-cream (haagen-dazs dulce de leche) :ksc75smile:

 

Thanks for all suggestion, also please suggest an good pre-amp (<200$, so I have some left for DAC)

 

I am new to speaker amps, was happy with Lyr->HE-400 and never really bothered about anything else, until I had chance to listen to HE-6 in an head phone meet, they sounded as realistic as it does over speakers, never liked HE-400 after that. 

post #11554 of 19444
Quote:
Originally Posted by musicinmymind View Post

 

you are using HE adapter boxes, it use resistors in series so you may not be getting the full force of the power amp section at all, is it safe to use Speaker AMP with adapter with HE-6 or adapter only safe way to ensure short circuit does not happen?  

 

any difference in SQ with or without adapter?

 

I've changed the resistors inside, so it works as a voltage divider:

 

http://robrobinette.com/images/Audio/Headphone_Resistor_Network_Preferred.jpg

 

 

I don't think I would be able to hear a difference with or without the box, but it gives a nicer travel on the rather aggressive volume control.

post #11555 of 19444
Quote:
Originally Posted by musicinmymind View Post
 

 

Thanks for all suggestion, also please suggest an good pre-amp (<200$, so I have some left for DAC)

 

I am new to speaker amps, was happy with Lyr->HE-400 and never really bothered about anything else, until I had chance to listen to HE-6 in an head phone meet, they sounded as realistic as it does over speakers, never liked HE-400 after that. 

:blink: A good Pre <$200.... no idea. I do know the experienced and efficient among us inside the thread will lend a hand shortly. I've not listened to very many Pre's of late. May I suggest casting an eye on vintage Pre's? You could save a lot!

post #11556 of 19444
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anda View Post
 

 

I've changed the resistors inside, so it works as a voltage divider:

 

http://robrobinette.com/images/Audio/Headphone_Resistor_Network_Preferred.jpg

 

 

I don't think I would be able to hear a difference with or without the box, but it gives a nicer travel on the rather aggressive volume control.

 

I too, want to modify my HE-Adapter for sonic improvement. Just don't know the optimum config yet.

:popcorn:

post #11557 of 19444
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent One View Post
 

:blink: A good Pre <$200.... no idea. I do know the experienced and efficient among us inside the thread will lend a hand shortly. I've not listened to very many Pre's of late. May I suggest casting an eye on vintage Pre's? You could save a lot!

Maybe the Bottlehead quickie? 

post #11558 of 19444
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAZRr1275 View Post
 

Maybe the Bottlehead quickie? 

That and the LDR3x or even a used emotiva or something.

post #11559 of 19444
Quote:
Originally Posted by musicinmymind View Post

Thanks for all suggestion, also please suggest an good pre-amp (<200$, so I have some left for DAC)

I am new to speaker amps, was happy with Lyr->HE-400 and never really bothered about anything else, until I had chance to listen to HE-6 in an head phone meet, they sounded as realistic as it does over speakers, never liked HE-400 after that. 

I would look for a used passive preamp .
post #11560 of 19444

A very good active pre-amp for under $200 is the Nelson Pass B1 it'll cost around $100 but you will have to DIY.

 

Passive pre-amp you can assemble your own LDR for ~100 bucks also, schematic is available on DIYaudio and the pair of LDRs are on http://www.buildanamp.com/ - you can also build "The Lighter Note" which is also a LDR design with a toroidal instead of a battery.

 

Another passive pre choice is the (used) Goldpoint attenuator - or the Tisbury passive pre (my favorite).

post #11561 of 19444

I bought the HE-adapter last night. Can someone please share why there is a need to mod the configuration of the resistors? Thanks.

post #11562 of 19444
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicHolyGhost View Post
 

I bought the HE-adapter last night. Can someone please share why there is a need to mod the configuration of the resistors? Thanks.

 

My HE-Adapter remains untouched; plays fine with a pair of vacuum tube monaural amps. I'm only seeking to raise the level playback with any mods forthcoming. Last night someone posted the need for greater attenuation with their amp.

post #11563 of 19444
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicHolyGhost View Post
 

I bought the HE-adapter last night. Can someone please share why there is a need to mod the configuration of the resistors? Thanks.

People usually complain more about the quality of resistors used inside the adapter rather than its configuration.

post #11564 of 19444
Thanks guys... I may get one more for mod later on...Any pointer of high quality resistors would be highly appreciated..
post #11565 of 19444

getting rid of the cheap binding posts in not a bad way to start

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: High-end Audio Forum
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone