or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone - Page 745

post #11161 of 19444
The Hifiman black box is normal.
The 2 L marks is clearly not.
post #11162 of 19444

Also, should have pads installed plus an extra pair, as well as an adapter. I'd double check that parts inventory.

post #11163 of 19444

Mine came from the official distributor packed in a hardcase black box with foam cutout,  a manual (of sorts) and the cables and connector packed in plastic baggies.  The 2 labels of the wiring indicating 'L' is of course not normal but unfortunately it doesn't surprise me.  Sound quality is great but design and 'details' like that, well....

 

If they didn't come with the manual or in the hardcase box or if ANYTHING seems off, I'd return them presto.  Did you purchase directly from Amazon or from an official distributor with an Amazon shop?  If the former, take care.  I don't know where they get all of their stuff but last year I purchased DVD's from them that turned out to be pirated.  I filed a complaint with authorities and the copyright holder joined, end result was that it took me 8 months to get my cash back (ok, plus a box with other dvd's from the copyright holder ;-)

post #11164 of 19444
Box look complete just 2 L's threw me off. I mean you spend 1300 you expect L from R to be correct.
post #11165 of 19444

One pic for the time being:

 

Finally going to give it a listen!


Edited by ohhgourami - 1/8/14 at 9:44pm
post #11166 of 19444

Edit:  Deleted / wrong post.


Edited by Xenophon - 1/8/14 at 9:50pm
post #11167 of 19444
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhgourami View Post
 

One pic for the time being:

 

 

Finally going to give it a listen!

 

:thumb: I'm gonna stay up with you late in a sign of solidarity...

post #11168 of 19444

Initial impressions:

The remote for this preamp sure is hefty. I'm pretty sure I can bludgeon someone to death with it. And for some reason I received one with 4 feet as the default is 3 feet.

 

The first thing I immediately noticed is an increase in definition. Everything is just crisper. It's like stale potato chips compare to freshly opened. Becomes more apparent as you keep listening. The other thing I'm noticing is the separation of the music; I can pinpoint other band members during a chorus. It's like everything has it's own individual place in the very 3-dimensional space. This helped a lot with the mids as it seems more put together. I have a hard time describing it, but the mids are just better.

 

I'm noticing another extra bit of magic. Music seems to have extra presence. There's more immersion and the bass has more texture. There's this resonance that didn't exist until now.

 

For the first minute, I almost though the upgrade was minute, but it's more apparent as I keep listening. Overall, the upgrade is still subtle but could not achieved otherwise.

 

The decision was between this preamp and an OR5. I think I got a bit more performance than with an OR5. Not a bad decision at all.

post #11169 of 19444

ohhgourami.... thumbsup.gif

post #11170 of 19444

Another pic even though quality is horrible. My room doesn't have much lighting...

 


I'ts a lot of stuff to stack...

post #11171 of 19444
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhgourami View Post
 

Another pic even though quality is horrible. My room doesn't have much lighting...

 


I'ts a lot of stuff to stack...

 

Would you kindly describe each of the five pieces shown? At the very top I see a slim unit and a power supply (I believe) underneath. Is this the new Pre? Lower down, I see a twin stack of audio-goodness.... isn't that what "gd" stands for? I forgot what Kingwa said when he was asked once upon a time. And at the bottom, is that the Krell or is it out of the pix and that's a power conditioner instead?

 

Poor vision prompted these questions.... BIG thanks for your patience!


Edited by Silent One - 1/8/14 at 11:59pm
post #11172 of 19444
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent One View Post

Would you kindly describe each of the five pieces shown? At the very top I see a slim unit and a power supply (I believe) underneath. Is this the new Pre? Lower down, I see a twin stack of audio-goodness.... isn't that what "gd" stands for? I forgot what Kingwa said when he was asked once upon a time. And at the bottom, is that the Krell or is it out of the pix and that's a power conditioner instead?

Poor vision prompted these questions.... BIG thanks for your patience!
From top to bottom: PC (including the power supply), DAC, preamp, and Krell alone beneath my desk.

My PC is on an open "case" with the motherboard laying horizontal. Easily mistaken for something else if you've never seen an open test bench.
post #11173 of 19444
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhgourami View Post
 
 
From top to bottom: PC (including the power supply), DAC, preamp, and Krell alone beneath my desk.

My PC is on an open "case" with the motherboard laying horizontal. Easily mistaken for something else if you've never seen an open test bench.

 

O. :D Now we're straight!

post #11174 of 19444

I am thinking of going down the DIY route for my next amp for my HE-6. Has anyone tried a few of the First Watt amps? I'm thinking of either the F1J or the F5 - which do you think would be a better match for my HE-6? I do like my quality bass.

 

I know there is webpage talking about all the First Watt amps but would like to know the differences when driving the HE-6  - Thanks

post #11175 of 19444
Quote:
Originally Posted by dill3000 View Post
 

I am thinking of going down the DIY route for my next amp for my HE-6. Has anyone tried a few of the First Watt amps? I'm thinking of either the F1J or the F5 - which do you think would be a better match for my HE-6? I do like my quality bass.

 

I know there is webpage talking about all the First Watt amps but would like to know the differences when driving the HE-6  - Thanks

 

 

 

Our community (the HE-6 thread) has both.  Brunk builds F5 for others I have a F1J but it's not DIY.  I don't think no one has heard them side by side as of yet.  However, I do know both are great amps.  Hell they was designed by Pappa himself.

 

Heck - go the mono block F4 route.  That would be very interesting..

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: High-end Audio Forum
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone