or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone - Page 742

post #11116 of 19446
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhgourami View Post


If you want more soundstage, get Audeze Vegan pads.

For the next iteration, I'd prefer that they are less efficient. There is a decent number of us with power amps ready to handle anything very_evil_smiley.gif
That's a good idea.
post #11117 of 19446
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Camper View Post

Is there anything you'd want changed in the HE-6 sound to motivate Hifiman to design another competing unit? I can't.

 

Lighter, angled (and more comfy) ear-pads, smoother treble (as in darker, not that the treble isn't already super smooth in terms of linearity :cool:) and more efficient.

 

I know you guys like to run the 6s off speaker taps but I honestly would rather be able to drive them to perfection with a M9, Taurus or CMA800R.

post #11118 of 19446
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhgourami View Post
 


If you want more soundstage, get Audeze Vegan pads.

 

Realised I hadn't responded to this part of your comment.

 

My comment was made in the context of a hypothesized redesign, and I think the soundstage could stand to be improved a bit in that case.

 

That isn't to say I'm hugely dissatisfied with the soundstage as it is, it's fine for lots of the music I listen to, in which the music often isn't mastered to spread over a wide soundstage (as HC mentions). Additionally, as mentioned, I could mod my HE-6 to improve things here a little. I am of course aware of these mods, again, I only mentioned soundstage in the context of this redesign so it seems a bit unnecessary to point the mods out to me.

 

When I want to really listen to stuff with a large soundstage I always have my HD800, which makes for a nice complement to the HE-6, at least until our redesigned successor arrives with all the qualities we're discussing here :)

 

In terms of the possible successors/redesigns, I notice there is already some consensus building about the things that could be done differently...

post #11119 of 19446
NZ, the mod comments were put out there for the reader. I'm sure you are aware of the mods if you follow the thread. They were not directed at your comments about a redesign. Those areas you mention are the reasons for those mod attempts. So there is room for improvement.
post #11120 of 19446
Quote:
Originally Posted by NZtechfreak View Post
 

 

Realised I hadn't responded to this part of your comment.

 

My comment was made in the context of a hypothesized redesign, and I think the soundstage could stand to be improved a bit in that case.

 

That isn't to say I'm hugely dissatisfied with the soundstage as it is, it's fine for lots of the music I listen to, in which the music often isn't mastered to spread over a wide soundstage (as HC mentions). Additionally, as mentioned, I could mod my HE-6 to improve things here a little. I am of course aware of these mods, again, I only mentioned soundstage in the context of this redesign so it seems a bit unnecessary to point the mods out to me.

 

When I want to really listen to stuff with a large soundstage I always have my HD800, which makes for a nice complement to the HE-6, at least until our redesigned successor arrives with all the qualities we're discussing here :)

 

In terms of the possible successors/redesigns, I notice there is already some consensus building about the things that could be done differently...


Just saying that for the time being, many of these "flaws" can easily be fixed by mods. The obvious step for the next headphone would be to incorporate our mods AND increase raw performance. If there could be a completely redone housing and headband that would be great too. HE-6 isn't exactly the most durable headphone...

post #11121 of 19446
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhgourami View Post
 

If there could be a completely redone housing and headband that would be great too. HE-6 isn't exactly the most durable headphone...

 

Yes, I meant to add that to my post for redesign improvements as well but it slipped my mind at the time. I hope Fang is watching, because we have given him all he needs for improvements in a potential successor :)

post #11122 of 19446
Quote:
Originally Posted by NZtechfreak View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhgourami View Post
 


If you want more soundstage, get Audeze Vegan pads.

 

Realised I hadn't responded to this part of your comment.

 

My comment was made in the context of a hypothesized redesign, and I think the soundstage could stand to be improved a bit in that case.

 

That isn't to say I'm hugely dissatisfied with the soundstage as it is, it's fine for lots of the music I listen to, in which the music often isn't mastered to spread over a wide soundstage (as HC mentions). Additionally, as mentioned, I could mod my HE-6 to improve things here a little. I am of course aware of these mods, again, I only mentioned soundstage in the context of this redesign so it seems a bit unnecessary to point the mods out to me.

 

When I want to really listen to stuff with a large soundstage I always have my HD800, which makes for a nice complement to the HE-6, at least until our redesigned successor arrives with all the qualities we're discussing here :)

 

In terms of the possible successors/redesigns, I notice there is already some consensus building about the things that could be done differently...

The HD800 certainly have the largest sound stage capabilities but I dont feel like the HE-6 is too far from it. In fact, I even preferred the HE-6 with a lot of the material I was listening to last night. I just love that airiness from the HE-6 as well, really awesome.

 

Im not certain if my findings are valid, but I felt that the HE-6 brought out even some micro-detail that was not clearly heard with the HD800. I suspect that the soundstage imaging of the HD800 are a bit too exaggerated, missing out micro-detail. 


Edited by DarKen23 - 1/4/14 at 1:15pm
post #11123 of 19446
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarKen23 View Post
 

The HD800 certainly have the largest sound stage capabilities but I dont feel like the HE-6 is too far from it. In fact, I even preferred the HE-6 with a lot of the material I was listening to last night. I just love that airiness from the HE-6 as well, really awesome.


Vegan pads make the stock pads sound very compressed. For those who haven't done it yet, it is a HUGE upgrade. $80 is very cheap for such an upgrade!

post #11124 of 19446
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhgourami View Post
 


Vegan pads make the stock pads sound very compressed. For those who haven't done it yet, it is a HUGE upgrade. $80 is very cheap for such an upgrade!

+1 I agree, but only with the felt mod applied is it an overall 100% upgrade. IMO 

post #11125 of 19446
Quote:
Originally Posted by brunk View Post
 

I would like to see a form of angled cups/diaphragm, better cable connectors (seriously, please), felt mod pre-applied, various grills and pad options.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhgourami View Post
 

If there could be a completely redone housing and headband that would be great too. HE-6 isn't exactly the most durable headphone...

 

I would like to see headband assemblies that don't look like they were made in a high school shops class. Hifiman, Auduze, Abyss... c'mon guys. At least Oppo looks the part.

post #11126 of 19446
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhgourami View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarKen23 View Post

 
The HD800 certainly have the largest sound stage capabilities but I dont feel like the HE-6 is too far from it. In fact, I even preferred the HE-6 with a lot of the material I was listening to last night. I just love that airiness from the HE-6 as well, really awesome.


Vegan pads make the stock pads sound very compressed. For those who haven't done it yet, it is a HUGE upgrade. $80 is very cheap for such an upgrade!
I'll definitely try that. But not just yet, I would like to really listen and understand the HE-6 in its stock form before making any changes to their sound. It allows a better and more evident sound change personally.

Also are we talking about the vegan pads of the LCD3?
Edited by DarKen23 - 1/4/14 at 1:43pm
post #11127 of 19446
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armaegis View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by brunk View Post

 
I would like to see a form of angled cups/diaphragm, better cable connectors (seriously, please), felt mod pre-applied, various grills and pad options.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhgourami View Post

 
If there could be a completely redone housing and headband that would be great too. HE-6 isn't exactly the most durable headphone...

I would like to see headband assemblies that don't look like they were made in a high school shops class. Hifiman, Auduze, Abyss... c'mon guys. At least Oppo looks the part.
*shrug* I don't see a aesthetic problem on the HE-6. Besides, generally people including myself dont usually say "I refuse to purchase x-headphones because the headband is hideous" or "I have to have those, look at that headband!" tongue.gif

Excluding the headbands on the abyss, those really are hideous imo. Regardless of sound quality from that abyss, it's so ugly that I'd seriously reconsider even if I absolutely wanted those. Lol sorry, but I think the headband just looks flat out 'stupid'. I would NOT want to show those off to any of my friends or anyone at all.
Edited by DarKen23 - 1/4/14 at 2:05pm
post #11128 of 19446
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarKen23 View Post


*shrug* I don't see a aesthetic problem on the HE-6. Besides, generally people including myself dont usually say "I refuse to purchase x-headphones because the headband is hideous" or "I have to have those, look at that headband!" tongue.gif

Excluding the headbands on the abyss, those really are hideous imo. Regardless of sound quality from that abyss, it's so ugly that I'd seriously reconsider even if I absolutely wanted those. Lol sorry, but I think the headband just looks flat out 'stupid'. I would NOT want to show those off to any of my friends or anyone at all.

I was once tempted to get a Jecklin Float QA...until i took a reality check that is... (seriously, that where you draw the line and listen to actual speakers)

post #11129 of 19446
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhgourami View Post


Vegan pads make the stock pads sound very compressed. For those who haven't done it yet, it is a HUGE upgrade. $80 is very cheap for such an upgrade!
This has not been my experience with a stock HE-6.
Changing the pads only shifts the tonality to warm territory, where air is lacking and congestion almost makes an appearance. It's crazy how a pad swap could shift the sound to an almost Audeze-like sound (a good Audeze, without much smoke in the sound, that is).
I trust you when you say a felt and grill mod brings things back to normal, but it ain't just a $80 mod anymore...
post #11130 of 19446
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarKen23 View Post


*shrug* I don't see a aesthetic problem on the HE-6. Besides, generally people including myself dont usually say "I refuse to purchase x-headphones because the headband is hideous" or "I have to have those, look at that headband!" tongue.gif

Excluding the headbands on the abyss, those really are hideous imo. Regardless of sound quality from that abyss, it's so ugly that I'd seriously reconsider even if I absolutely wanted those. Lol sorry, but I think the headband just looks flat out 'stupid'. I would NOT want to show those off to any of my friends or anyone at all.

 

It's one of those things where if I'm dropping a thousand dollars on something, I want the build quality to match. That goes for both aesthetics and functionality. The Hifiman headband assemblies seriously leave a LOT to be desired. The adjusting mechanisms come loose, the swivel stop literally wears a notch in the band, the padding needs work, etc. The Auduze are a slight step up, but not by much. The Abyss... is just an atrocity.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: High-end Audio Forum
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone