or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone - Page 723

post #10831 of 19662
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALRAINBOW View Post

And I am in complete agreement to your reply brunk. Although this is a needed thread is a little to complex I think overall a couple of resisters is all we need in most applications .
However I have just purchased a speaker amp for the sole purpose of using it with headphones , so I have been reading and have bag
Full of ten watt resisters . Lol.
I wish to use the amp with the he6, lcd3 and hd800. If they all sound good.

Al d

Hehe, you should see my place. I'm up to my ears in resistors and stuff lol. I too am looking to see just how well a single speaker amp can drive my headphones, hence my interest in Robrob's box. However, I'm going to let him be the guinea pig to flesh out any real world issues before I go ahead with it :)

post #10832 of 19662
Lmao. I hear you. The amp I bought is a krell kav400 xi. The same amp ohhgaromi has . Black too. Anyway tomorrow I will start to play with the he 6. I am using the same two resisters he has for a simple start. It has great reviews but will need to attenuate to reduce the noise floor.

Then I will post a review but my HE 6 is stock. .

Al D
post #10833 of 19662
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALRAINBOW View Post

Lmao. I hear you. The amp I bought is a krell kav400 xi. The same amp ohhgaromi has . Black too. Anyway tomorrow I will start to play with the he 6. I am using the same two resisters he has for a simple start. It has great reviews but will need to attenuate to reduce the noise floor.

Then I will post a review but my HE 6 is stock. .

Al D

Looking forward to your progress reports Al D :popcorn:

post #10834 of 19662
Yes me too. I spent 1800 on the amp, I feel it was high but I wanted black baby. And it is mint really mint all après bubble rap boxes . So it like new looking . I have garage half full of boxes for all this stuff . Cause I am petrified it's a must to sell stuff without the original boxes
post #10835 of 19662
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALRAINBOW View Post

Yes me too. I spent 1800 on the amp, I feel it was high but I wanted black baby. And it is mint really mint all après bubble rap boxes . So it like new looking . I have garage half full of boxes for all this stuff . Cause I am petrified it's a must to sell stuff without the original boxes

Lol i used to keep all boxes too. Only now do I only keep a select few, primarily because there's no better way to ship than its factory box. If someone complains about a factory box on a used headphone, they are a little picky if you ask me. An amp box on the other hand is almost necessary to keep because of the packaging it provides.

post #10836 of 19662
Yea I hear you on that . I figure I spent boo koo bucks on this stuff and if I want to sell it I better have all the goods. The ps audio stuff comes with a sheet of think nynal over them and a white sack as well . With a pair of white gloves too.

Al D
post #10837 of 19662
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALRAINBOW View Post

Yea I hear you on that . I figure I spent boo koo bucks on this stuff and if I want to sell it I better have all the goods. The ps audio stuff comes with a sheet of think nynal over them and a white sack as well . With a pair of white gloves too.

Al D

Oh that's cool. I like the concept of feeling like you're dealing with a work of art from the packaging. Oppo is very good at that too.

post #10838 of 19662
Really then you will appreciate this then. Msb does to too the same as ps audio, I wonder who thought of it first. And the UMT they sell is an oppo drive inside.

Al D
post #10839 of 19662
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALRAINBOW View Post

Yes me too. I spent 1800 on the amp, I feel it was high but I wanted black baby. And it is mint really mint all après bubble rap boxes . So it like new looking . I have garage half full of boxes for all this stuff . Cause I am petrified it's a must to sell stuff without the original boxes

thumbsup.gif

And congrats!

post #10840 of 19662
Quote:
Originally Posted by brunk View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armaegis View Post
 

I've mentioned it in the amp thread, but I say ditch all these resistor shenanigans and use an autoformer to bring the HE-6 down to a proper load.

Well, what would the overall cost and performance benefits be over resistors?

:popcorn:

I too, would like to learn more need to learn more about the Autoformer and potential sonic reward. 

 

 

Add.:  A few weeks back my local Fry's Electronics sold out of the 10-Ohm resistors I needed. Other local electronic stores had them on their Webstores only. With my listening session reserved for the evening, I drove down to Orange County (a 50+ round-tripper) to the next closest Fry's for a pair of 0.99 cent resistors.

 

It took me a decent 4 hours of warm up and cool down to evaluate the new resistors and connection. Results? Did not like them... at...ALL!!! :mad: (Somewhere, ohhgourami is shaking his head) Turns out the current config via the HE-Adapter returned a better presentation.


Edited by Silent One - 12/13/13 at 7:16pm
post #10841 of 19662
Yes a hear you man . It really looks great. I have there resisters and I will bring the he 6 to office in the morning

Thanks

Al d
post #10842 of 19662
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent One View Post
 

:popcorn:

I too, would like to learn more need to learn more about the Autoformer and potential sonic reward. 

 

 

Add.:  A few weeks back my local Fry's Electronics sold out of the 10-Ohm resistors I needed. Other local electronic stores had them on their Webstores only. With my listening session reserved for the evening, I drove down to Orange County (a 50+ round-tripper) to the next closest Fry's for a pair of 0.99 cent resistors.

 

It took me a decent 4 hours of warm up and cool down to evaluate the new resistors and connection. Results? Did not like them... at...ALL!!! :mad: (Somewhere, ohhgourami is shaking his head) Turns out the current config via the HE-Adapter returned a better presentation.


:blink: *shake shake shake* Sorry you had a bad experience with the resistors. Not sure what else to tell you. They measured well on my amp.

 

I still need to cut your felt, I semi gave up after I finished cutting enough for one side...

post #10843 of 19662
Quote:
Originally Posted by brunk View Post
 

Well, I'll give Armaegis a chance to chime in, but right now it's sounding like more of an expensive complexity than any possible sonic benefit over resistors. Not saying this may be true in this case, but I've seen many designs that are more of an intellectual exercise than what is practical and adequate for the job. I guess you could say I'm an advocate for the K.I.S.S. principle :tongue:

 

If we were keeping it simple, we wouldn't be using overpowered amps and chopping output down with hackneyed resistor networks and making all these silly calculations and trying to find non-existent ideal configurations (actually one does exist... R1=R2=R3=0).

 

So on the basis that y'all are using beefy amps with *grunt*grunt*grunt* more power, I figure ok might as well go all out. Stop wasting all that excess power as heat and make the headphone load appear like a more ideal speaker load. Or for those connecting directly, run your amp in the intended power range rather than squeaking by with just the first few watts (if that) and get closer to the sweet spot (because transistors do have them and generally play better somewhere in the middle of their range)

 

I'm just gonna throw stuff at you guys...

http://www.intactaudio.com/atten_FAQ.html

http://www.zeroimpedance.com/multiplier.html

...http://www.zeroimpedance.com/faq.html#10

 

Take from it what you will. I think it's a better choice than trying to build a magic box with multiple taps for different attenuations.  Maybe that's better for a dynamic which needs that specific output damping factor and stable load (but tell me again why you're trying to use a speaker amp rather than headphone amp then), but with a planar headphone with it's practically resistive load that's kinda perfect for the autoformer.

 

 

 

 

And maybe, just maybe, I'm trying to push you guys off the deep end into the dark side. We have cookies here.

post #10844 of 19662

:popcorn:

Interesting... time for midnight reading. 

 

Is this a route you went with for your HE-6?

post #10845 of 19662
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhgourami View Post
 


:blink: *shake shake shake* Sorry you had a bad experience with the resistors. Not sure what else to tell you. They measured well on my amp.

 

I still need to cut your felt, I semi gave up after I finished cutting enough for one side...

 

:biggrin: I was just funnin' with you - chasing down that last 10 percent or 10 miles is what we do! Woke the next day like nuthin' happened. 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: High-end Audio Forum
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone