Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Hifiman HE-4 Impressions Thread Last post on Today at 12:53 pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Head-Direct HE-6 Orthodynamic Headphone Last post on 1/21/11 at 6:35am in Headphones (full-size)
- Whatever happened to the HiFiMan dynamic headphone? Last post on 8/1/11 at 7:00am in Headphones (full-size)
- Senn HD650 or HD600? Last post on 10/16/13 at 3:22am in Headphones (full-size)
- Does it get much better than the HD800? Last post on 11/22/13 at 3:37pm in High-end Audio Forum
Last edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
I like to mod…yes, I am one of those head-fiers. My specific area of interest is Grados, and wooden cups for them. I delight in sourcing cups, finding the drivers, and transforming a prosaic...
The Korean company really needs no introduction at this point. They have proven themselves as a capable IEM maker with a series of top of the line hybrid as well as some good sound yet budget...
These iems are better than some entry levels (Shure 215/ hifiman RE0/ RE 400/ Sennheiser CX300) with a wider soundstage due to the 13mm dynamic driver , however need serious burn in for at least 50...
First, I’d like to thank the folks at Narmoo for providing a sample of their R1M earphones for review. In recent years, the IEM market has sort of exploded, seeing a number of established...
I work with Trance music most ... Before The New released update 3.0 for the thing i wasn't really satisfied with its quality of sound in trance ...but the update Changed everything ,EVERYthing...
HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone - Page 718post #10756 of 1419812/6/13 at 6:24pm
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #10757 of 1419812/6/13 at 9:42pm
The magnets are about 3.6~3.7mm in width, so if you really wanna be precise you could go by that parametre. I specified 4mm in my Fuzzor mod guide so that people don't have to worry about sub-millimetre information, also the "edge tapering" step in my guide more or less bypasses that issue.because it also tapers down the absolute edges of the felt stripes.post #10758 of 1419812/6/13 at 9:47pm
Thick felt doesn't sound good though. The "default" felt seems to give the best results.post #10759 of 1419812/6/13 at 10:41pmQuote:
Thicker felt is ok as long as the edges are tapered well. Thinner felt are great but might be harder to apply very precisely (since they are more wiggly).post #10760 of 1419812/8/13 at 12:33am
All this talk of mods... I'm just enjoying my HE-6 stock right now!
Just did a listening session HE-6 Vs my T1 and GS1000i, very easy to do in this setup - simply hit a single button to switch from HP to Pre-amp output. Sold my LCD-2 Friday, will now be selling the T1 and GS1000i also. I can't see either getting any head time with the HE-6 around, and this is running it off the diminutive TP60, so it can probably only get even better from here on out.post #10761 of 1419812/8/13 at 3:54ampost #10762 of 1419812/8/13 at 3:55ampost #10763 of 1419812/8/13 at 3:56ampost #10764 of 1419812/8/13 at 4:10amQuote:Originally Posted by NZtechfreak
All this talk of mods... I'm just enjoying my HE-6 stock right now!
Just did a listening session HE-6 Vs my T1 and GS1000i, very easy to do in this setup - simply hit a single button to switch from HP to Pre-amp output. Sold my LCD-2 Friday, will now be selling the T1 and GS1000i also. I can't see either getting any head time with the HE-6 around, and this is running it off the diminutive TP60, so it can probably only get even better from here on out.
I see you have a few closed headphones as well. Same with me, the HE-6 and a good closed headphone is a good stopping point.
But I have ADHD or something I just can't stay still..post #10765 of 1419812/8/13 at 4:21am
Those who got the Audeze (vegan / micro suede or lambskin) pads, please chime in ... !
I plan ordering the Audeze "vegan" pads on monday, but would like to hear if there is some consensus regarding how it sounds compared to stock HiFiMan pads (pleather or velour).
I remember one saying the sub bass was more audible and other(s) saying soundstage being bigger.
Also, if anyone has tried both the lambskin AND the micro suede pads, please state your impressions of the two.post #10766 of 1419812/8/13 at 4:26amQuote:
Just a little Topping TP60 at the moment, enjoying it immensely - it'll be a good enough for a brief dalliance until I audition some other stuff and make a decision about my next amp (hoping for a longer term relationship there).
In terms of driving the HE-6 straight from the Ref 10... I find it can get loud enough for me, too loud even for some volume-wars mastered albums, but the HE-6 only really starts to shine once the volume nears max (at volumes I didn't like to expose myself to for any length of time for loud albums, while simultaneously lacking the headroom for quietly mastered albums). It was enough to make me fall for the HE-6 sound the last time I had them, but all the same I wouldn't recommend it.
I think it's a bit like a lot of the amps people recommended as 'being able to drive the HE-6' near the beginning of the 'Amps that can drive the HE-6' thread - able to both produce fairly satisfactory volume and sufficient to start to show the performance of the HE-6, enough to make people think they were hearing the HE-6 well driven, but in reality only a glimmer of the headphones real talent. Having read that thread a couple of times now it's interesting to see just how many of the people who asserted, almost belligerently at times, that their amp pairing was 'driving the HE-6 superbly', later turned around and admitted it did not in fact drive them well (typically this change of stance occurring after hearing on a decent speaker amp pairing).
Seeing the number of times that happens in that thread alone, I really have to start to wonder if that isn't the reason these headphones don't have a bigger following - people genuinely believe they have 'really heard' the HE-6 when, in fact, they haven't.
Edited by NZtechfreak - 12/8/13 at 4:27ampost #10767 of 1419812/8/13 at 4:36am
A good "amp" headphone or speaker will allow the HE-6 to "shine" sound good at low volume levels. It's not high gain the HE-6 needs. It's a certain amount of power (what ever that may be) + quality. IMO..post #10768 of 1419812/8/13 at 4:46amQuote:
Which is a much more succinct way to say what I was trying to get atpost #10769 of 1419812/8/13 at 4:46amI agree with the statement. I did increase the gain as per Kingwa. And the volume is louder at lower setting
I did side by side testing with the M8 and and the WOO WA 5. all upgrades.
And I cannot say what was better and they both sound great at all volumes
Same songs and same DAC.
Now there is plenty of post s from people who claim
Amps that I clearly hear as being inferior in sound qualitypost #10770 of 1419812/8/13 at 4:52am
- HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price Range
- › Recommendation for toddlers headphones 43 seconds ago
- › iDSD micro Crowd-Designed. Phase 2: What speakers did you use to... 1 minute ago
- › FiiO X5 beta firmware 2.06beta-2.07beta download and discussion: ... 3 minutes ago
- › Shure SE846 Impressions Thread 3 minutes ago
- › DAP-off: Astell&Kern AK240, HiFiMAN HM-901, Sony ZX-1, FiiO X5 +... 3 minutes ago
- › Noble Audio - the Wizard returns! 6 minutes ago
- › The iBasso DX50 Thread - Latest firmware: 1.5.0 8 minutes ago
- › If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you... 10 minutes ago
- › Hifiman he-400i Impressions and Discussion 10 minutes ago
- › D marc0's Journal: My Head-fi Journey (NEW: T-PEOS Altone 200 Review!) 11 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser Grado Hybrid a.k.a. SennGrado by fleasbaby
- › T-Peos Altone200 by ClieOS
- › SONY MDR-XB30EX-B Black | In-Ear EXTRA BASS Headphones (Japanese... by francopro
- › NarMoo R1M High-Fidelity Noise Isolation Headphones with Mic by TheGame21x
- › FiiO X3 Portable Music Player by ash47
- › Electric Avenues PA2V2 by shak85
- › C&C BH Portable Headphone Amp by shak85
- › Yamaha PRO 500 by cel4145
- › TDK BA200 by Ch1Kn
- › Oppo HA-1 Integrated Headphone DAC and Amplifier. by Xyrium
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Exercise Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Wireless Headphones)