Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone - Page 709

post #10621 of 19726
If you have the patients that's a good idea

I just bought the audio GD m8/m7 combo
About six months back and now there is a m9
I'm mad.

Al D
post #10622 of 19726
Quote:
Originally Posted by manbear View Post

I'm also interested in waiting for Hifiman's next generation. 

Me too. Although the 6 has a tad more extension in the treble than the 5LE that I own (had the 6 for a month-long audition), I've decided to wait for the next generation of Hifiman. The 5LE on a speaker amp has been pretty spectacular, in particular, with Rock and Jazz genres.
post #10623 of 19726

I just finished jerg's mod with sticky felt on the inside of the drivers:

 

As for the results, I got slightly forwarded mids, but big loss in treble. It makes the presentation more intimate like I was using the stock velours, except the highs aren't there. Shifted the sound of the HE-6 more towards an LCD.

 

I think I'll go back to stock or a compromise of something in between. I really like the airiness and sparkle at the top.

 

My results seem quite different from what jerg got with the same mod on his HE-500s.

post #10624 of 19726
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhgourami View Post
 

I just finished jerg's mod with sticky felt on the inside of the drivers:

 

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

 

 

As for the results, I got slightly forwarded mids, but big loss in treble. It makes the presentation more intimate like I was using the stock velours, except the highs aren't there. Shifted the sound of the HE-6 more towards an LCD.

 

I think I'll go back to stock or a compromise of something in between. I really like the airiness and sparkle at the top.

 

My results seem quite different from what jerg got with the same mod on his HE-500s.

I had a feeling that's what your "surprise" was going to be lol. I'm glad you went through with it for the rest of us though. I was going to try this myself, but am glad I am spared from it now.

 

For pads, do you think the LCD microsuede is better than the hifiman velours?

post #10625 of 19726
Quote:
Originally Posted by brunk View Post
 

I had a feeling that's what your "surprise" was going to be lol. I'm glad you went through with it for the rest of us though. I was going to try this myself, but am glad I am spared from it now.

 

For pads, do you think the LCD microsuede is better than the hifiman velours?

 

You are very up to date with stuff! Cutting the felt took me painstakingly long. Now I got all this felt crud on my clothes and all over my desk.


The microsuedes are a pretty "big" upgrade over the velours. Stock velours sound compressed compared to the microsuedes as the soundstage is about double in size. It gives a sense of better separation as there is finally "room" for everything. I think the bass goes a bit deeper too since I have the pads directly taped to the housing. I experienced channel imbalance with the stock pads since the retaining disc isn't perfectly flushed with the housing and/or bent a bit. Comfort is also a small improvement.

 

Overall, well worth the 80 bucks. Definitely more performance than a cable upgrade.


Edited by ohhgourami - 11/24/13 at 3:42pm
post #10626 of 19726
What does the stock leather LCD pads sound like on them.. Looks and feel wise I would like that , not looking to chNge the sound much though . So what the DILEO on that mod. Sound sig.??

Al D
post #10627 of 19726
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhgourami View Post
 

 

You are very up to date with stuff! Cutting the felt took me painstakingly long. Now I got all this felt crud on my clothes and all over my desk.


The microsuedes are a pretty "big" upgrade over the velours. Stock velours sound compressed compared to the microsuedes as the soundstage is about double in size. It gives a sense of better separation as there is finally "room" for everything. I think the bass goes a bit deeper too since I have the pads directly taped to the housing. I experienced channel imbalance with the stock pads since the retaining disc isn't perfectly flushed with the housing and/or bent a bit. Comfort is also a small improvement.

 

Overall, well worth the 80 bucks. Definitely more performance than a cable upgrade.

Thanks for the confirmation! I was ready to cancel my order if you said it changed the tonal balance too much. I am glad to hear there's even a larger soundstage now, with better bass than velours. I'm excited! Thanks again. :)

post #10628 of 19726
Quote:
Originally Posted by brunk View Post
 

Thanks for the confirmation! I was ready to cancel my order if you said it changed the tonal balance too much. I am glad to hear there's even a larger soundstage now, with better bass than velours. I'm excited! Thanks again. :)


Almost no change in tonal balance! Getting them in a few days?

post #10629 of 19726

The issue with the mid range is the HE-500 mids are colored and more present.  The mids on the HE-6 are neutral, clean and even with the rest of the FR.  The mids are not pushed back.  Just not as lush and sexy as the HE-500s or the LCDs.  But if you want a neutral sounding headphone that's very transparent and clean, the HE-6 is for you.  If you want a lush and sexy mid range the HE-500 and LCDs are for you.  However, having a lush and sexy mid range can sound dark and thick with some music.  That's why those headphones are not known as jack of all trades..  IMO...

post #10630 of 19726
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhgourami View Post
 


Almost no change in tonal balance! Getting them in a few days?

I hope so. I assumed it was going to be shipped before the weekend hit, but no luck so far...

post #10631 of 19726
Quote:
Originally Posted by preproman View Post
 

The issue with the mid range is the HE-500 mids are colored and more present.  The mids on the HE-6 are neutral, clean and even with the rest of the FR.  The mids are not pushed back.  Just not as lush and sexy as the HE-500s or the LCDs.  But if you want a neutral sounding headphone that's very transparent and clean, the HE-6 is for you.  If you want a lush and sexy mid range the HE-500 and LCDs are for you.  However, having a lush and sexy mid range can sound dark and thick with some music.  That's why those headphones are not known as jack of all trades..  IMO...

Once again, right on the money! I think we have similar ears and brain :blink:

post #10632 of 19726
Quote:
Originally Posted by preproman View Post
 

The issue with the mid range is the HE-500 mids are colored and more present.  The mids on the HE-6 are neutral, clean and even with the rest of the FR.  The mids are not pushed back.  Just not as lush and sexy as the HE-500s or the LCDs.  But if you want a neutral sounding headphone that's very transparent and clean, the HE-6 is for you.  If you want a lush and sexy mid range the HE-500 and LCDs are for you.  However, having a lush and sexy mid range can sound dark and thick with some music.  That's why those headphones are not known as jack of all trades..  IMO...


If I had a Master-7 then I would think the mids are perfect, but on my setup I want the full the mids forward just a tad. But to sacrifice that amazing treble is asking too much!

post #10633 of 19726
Quote:
Originally Posted by brunk View Post
 

Once again, right on the money! I think we have similar ears and brain :blink:

 

I think we are brothers from another mother:biggrin:

post #10634 of 19726
Quote:
Originally Posted by preproman View Post

The issue with the mid range is the HE-500 mids are colored and more present.  The mids on the HE-6 are neutral, clean and even with the rest of the FR.  The mids are not pushed back.  Just not as lush and sexy as the HE-500s or the LCDs.  But if you want a neutral sounding headphone that's very transparent and clean, the HE-6 is for you.  If you want a lush and sexy mid range the HE-500 and LCDs are for you.  However, having a lush and sexy mid range can sound dark and thick with some music.  That's why those headphones are not known as jack of all trades..  IMO...
The 6s are the target of Stax mafia for a reason.
post #10635 of 19726

Have they been picking on the HE6 Happy.  I have not seen much of them doing that but they like stats only for the most part.  I think once the hE6 are driven properly they are  outstanding. I have been having fun with them with my WA5 and said all along when I sold them the first time I was sorry I did .  I will be trying them with the WA23 4aklos and see how they drive them as well which I believe will also be another good. I like what the he6 brings to the table and for me they were always transparent and sounded excellent as they did with the Pioneer SX980 when I had that revive run the house.  Ypou were done of the few who hav estich with the hE6 form the beginning and never deviated form your opinion of them. I trull did miss them when they were gone and glad they are back in the stable for me again.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: High-end Audio Forum
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone