Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone - Page 699

post #10471 of 14883

@ ALRAINBOW

 

thumbsup.gif 

post #10472 of 14883
Thanks that is kind. and I will bet I am the oldest here too. What do some people do here for a living anyway. .?

Al D
post #10473 of 14883
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Camper View Post

Songmic, is there a reason that you are so suspect of your set?

 

Well, since this is an expensive headphone I tend to become paranoid about such little things.

 

One thing that got me worried at first was the messy words "Made in China" written on the slider; I know they are made in China but it was strange to see the words there where it shouldn't be, other headphones don't have that at all. If you look several pages back you'll see what I mean.

 

At any rate, now I'm pretty sure my HE-6 is genuine, thanks to all you guys' help.

post #10474 of 14883

I would never think of setting up my audio system, be it a desktop headphone rig or speakers, at a place other than the comfort of my own home. Call me selfish if you will, but I can't stand the thought of random people poking at or messing around with my expensive stuff without permission. The only things I'm taking outdoors are my trustworthy RWAK100 and JH13 Pro.

post #10475 of 14883

One of my friends who recently became a headphile - thanks to me - asked me for a headphone recommendation for starters. Since he's new to the hobby I suggested something inexpensive like a HD600/650, but he said he's willing to go as high as $1.5K for both headphone and amp.

 

I thought of HE-6, but that only leaves around $200 for the amp and I have no idea which $200 amp, be it a headphone amp or a speaker amp, could possibly drive the HE-6. Do you know of any inexpensive amps that could drive the HE-6 well?

 

If that's out of the question, I could suggest him an HE-500, or probably the new Alpha Dog (which I have yet to hear), plus a Schiit Mjolnir maybe. It would be interesting to see if anyone has compared these three headphones.

post #10476 of 14883

Just my opinion but I posted on a related point here, might be useful to your friend:

 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/591639/is-the-hifiman-he-6-clearly-a-league-above-the-hifiman-he-500/330#post_9992010

post #10477 of 14883
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenophon View Post
 

Just my opinion but I posted on a related point here, might be useful to your friend:

 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/591639/is-the-hifiman-he-6-clearly-a-league-above-the-hifiman-he-500/330#post_9992010

 

Yes, for a long time, I preferred an HE-500 to HE-6. It was not until I auditioned the HE-6 in a proper setup, with an amp seriously capable of getting much out of HE-6, that I truly appreciated the latter's overall quality over the former.

 

Comparing the Alpha Dog sounds interesting, although it is a closed-back headphone.

post #10478 of 14883
Quote:
Originally Posted by songmic View Post
 

One of my friends who recently became a headphile - thanks to me - asked me for a headphone recommendation for starters. Since he's new to the hobby I suggested something inexpensive like a HD600/650, but he said he's willing to go as high as $1.5K for both headphone and amp.

 

I thought of HE-6, but that only leaves around $200 for the amp and I have no idea which $200 amp, be it a headphone amp or a speaker amp, could possibly drive the HE-6. Do you know of any inexpensive amps that could drive the HE-6 well?

 

If that's out of the question, I could suggest him an HE-500, or probably the new Alpha Dog (which I have yet to hear), plus a Schiit Mjolnir maybe. It would be interesting to see if anyone has compared these three headphones.

 

Consider the Topping T60 amp. Should be relatively cheap in Asia.

post #10479 of 14883

I am using the Alesis RA150 amplifier which costs $200. Let me tell you, it will give a lot of the more expensive speakers amps a run for their money.

post #10480 of 14883
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhgourami View Post
 

 

Consider the Topping T60 amp. Should be relatively cheap in Asia.

 

Really? Have you heard the T60? I see it for sale here, which surprises me given how little is available locally here in NZ.

post #10481 of 14883
Quote:
Originally Posted by songmic View Post
 

 

Yes, for a long time, I preferred an HE-500 to HE-6. It was not until I auditioned the HE-6 in a proper setup, with an amp seriously capable of getting much out of HE-6, that I truly appreciated the latter's overall quality over the former.

 

Comparing the Alpha Dog sounds interesting, although it is a closed-back headphone.

The Alpha Dogs are outstanding.

 

That being said, they are closed back and aren't on the level of the HE6. :rolleyes:

post #10482 of 14883
Quote:
Originally Posted by NZtechfreak View Post
 

 

Really? Have you heard the T60? I see it for sale here, which surprises me given how little is available locally here in NZ.


Sadly no. But it's said to be on par with the mini-x but with a leaner sound.

post #10483 of 14883
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhgourami View Post
 


Sadly no. But it's said to be on par with the mini-x but with a leaner sound.

 

Interesting, I may get one as a stop gap while I wait to audition/make a decision on my (?) final HE-6 amp. Considering the Dark Star at the moment...

 

EDIT: (and when I say "at the moment", what I really mean is "at this moment", because surely I will change my mind in a half second)


Edited by NZtechfreak - 11/19/13 at 10:55pm
post #10484 of 14883

 

have i posted this b4..? SMSL SA-50, 50w x2 , T-amp...buy from amazon for usd70.

only 4inches x 3 inches...sitting on the arm of my sofa.


Edited by Lorspeaker - 11/19/13 at 10:56pm
post #10485 of 14883
Quote:
Originally Posted by NZtechfreak View Post
 

 

Interesting, I may get one as a stop gap while I wait to audition/make a decision on my (?) final HE-6 amp. Considering the Dark Star at the moment...


I've heard the Dark Star is a bit overrated in terms of performance. With that kind of money, you could do a lot better.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: High-end Audio Forum
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone