Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone - Page 70

post #1036 of 14033

This has filled me with fear!

 

Are you using the 7236 power tubes on the WA22 or similar that produce 2 watts ?
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by grokit View Post

Well as I feared my WA22 drives the HE-6 with the high gain tubes, but just barely. I have it pegged and the volume is loud but still listen-able, so obviously there is no headroom with that combo. I hope they scale up with my 50wpc power amp like the protos did, as this is similar to the experience that I had with the loaners. Unfortunately I am in the same boat as HA and am without a pigtail adapter atm, but I am working on it.

 

One thing is clear so far, the HE-6 is not a good compliment to my HD800 out of the WA22. Their power requirements are too different, and with the WA22 amp even single-ended the HD800 wins as the HE-6 is under-driven. Also their sound signatures are quite similar when compared this way; the HD800 has better soundstage and bass texture/extension, while the HE-6 is exhibiting a bit of a lower-mid bulge but yes very smooth upper mids and treble. But between the two headphones there is not enough sonic contrast, like there would be between the HD800 and the LCD-2. 

 

When my pigtail adapter materializes it should be a different story and I expect the HE-6 to re-take the lead. And yes, with a $350 power amp compared to a $1900 balanced Woo with upgraded tubes, based upon my experience with the protos in the loaner program. Also now I am planning a hopefully bad@ss iPad rig for the HE-6 with that Alesis speaker amp and a Devilsound v2 DAC cable that I just picked up on the cheap off of fleaBay.

 

The jury is obviously still out for me on the prodo HE-6, but I think that a couple of things may have been overblown in regards to the changes from the proto version. The prodos may be easier to drive than the protos were, but only very slightly. And the differences in sound are perhaps more apparent when they are  less than optimally driven but that could be hopeful optimism on my part. I am looking forward to that same speaker amp upgrade magic that I experienced with the protos when I finally hook the prodos up to the Alesis.

 

Next up is comparing the HE-6 single-ended to the HE-5 out of the EF-5 amp, probably later tonight. I will also drag the HD800 up to that rig to be able to more fairly compare them to the HE-6, with both getting enough juice out of the same amp. The HE-6 is already compelling me to change a few things around, but I already knew that would happen.

post #1037 of 14033

Well one thing about tubes, you get a soft clipping so at least you won't have the harsh clipping of solid state if you go over the top in power needs. I can think of a EL84 tube amp that would sound sweet but even it wouldn't most likely have enough headroom. There are some excellent used amps that are integrated on the market for speakers. 

post #1038 of 14033

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkhead View Post

This has filled me with fear!

 

Are you using the 7236 power tubes on the WA22 or similar that produce 2 watts ?
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by grokit View Post

Well as I feared my WA22 drives the HE-6 with the high gain tubes, but just barely. I have it pegged and the volume is loud but still listen-able, so obviously there is no headroom with that combo. I hope they scale up with my 50wpc power amp like the protos did, as this is similar to the experience that I had with the loaners. Unfortunately I am in the same boat as HA and am without a pigtail adapter atm, but I am working on it.

 

One thing is clear so far, the HE-6 is not a good compliment to my HD800 out of the WA22. Their power requirements are too different, and with the WA22 amp even single-ended the HD800 wins as the HE-6 is under-driven. Also their sound signatures are quite similar when compared this way; the HD800 has better soundstage and bass texture/extension, while the HE-6 is exhibiting a bit of a lower-mid bulge but yes very smooth upper mids and treble. But between the two headphones there is not enough sonic contrast, like there would be between the HD800 and the LCD-2. 

 

When my pigtail adapter materializes it should be a different story and I expect the HE-6 to re-take the lead. And yes, with a $350 power amp compared to a $1900 balanced Woo with upgraded tubes, based upon my experience with the protos in the loaner program. Also now I am planning a hopefully bad@ss iPad rig for the HE-6 with that Alesis speaker amp and a Devilsound v2 DAC cable that I just picked up on the cheap off of fleaBay.

 

The jury is obviously still out for me on the prodo HE-6, but I think that a couple of things may have been overblown in regards to the changes from the proto version. The prodos may be easier to drive than the protos were, but only very slightly. And the differences in sound are perhaps more apparent when they are  less than optimally driven but that could be hopeful optimism on my part. I am looking forward to that same speaker amp upgrade magic that I experienced with the protos when I finally hook the prodos up to the Alesis.

 

Next up is comparing the HE-6 single-ended to the HE-5 out of the EF-5 amp, probably later tonight. I will also drag the HD800 up to that rig to be able to more fairly compare them to the HE-6, with both getting enough juice out of the same amp. The HE-6 is already compelling me to change a few things around, but I already knew that would happen.


Yes, I am using the 5998 which has the same power as the 7236 tubes.

post #1039 of 14033


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by grokit View Post

Well as I feared my WA22 drives the HE-6 with the high gain tubes, but just barely. I have it pegged and the volume is loud but still listen-able, so obviously there is no headroom with that combo. I hope they scale up with my 50wpc power amp like the protos did, as this is similar to the experience that I had with the loaners. Unfortunately I am in the same boat as HA and am without a pigtail adapter atm, but I am working on it.

 

One thing is clear so far, the HE-6 is not a good compliment to my HD800 out of the WA22. Their power requirements are too different, and with the WA22 amp even single-ended the HD800 wins as the HE-6 is under-driven. Also their sound signatures are quite similar when compared this way; the HD800 has better soundstage and bass texture/extension, while the HE-6 is exhibiting a bit of a lower-mid bulge but yes very smooth upper mids and treble. But between the two headphones there is not enough sonic contrast, like there would be between the HD800 and the LCD-2. 

 

Sorry to read this, but I also didn't think your WA22 would power the HE-6.

I am concerned about my tricked out WA5LE/Realiser driving the HE-6, and I don't think there are many head amp combos that are as powerful as my WA5LE/Realiser.

 

If my WA5LE/Realiser will not drive the HE-6 then Hifiman can have them back. At that point put me on your waiting list LCD-2.

post #1040 of 14033

Even the Zana Deux clips with the HE6 so the requirement is really quite steep. 

post #1041 of 14033

Grokit you are commenting on the older HE-6 prototype and not the final version, correct?

post #1042 of 14033
Quote:
Originally Posted by sillysally View Post

I am concerned about my tricked out WA5LE/Realiser driving the HE-6, and I don't think there are many head amp combos that are as powerful as my WA5LE/Realiser.

If my WA5LE/Realiser will not drive the HE-6 then Hifiman can have them back. At that point put me on your waiting list LCD-2.


i think you're just being silly, sally. wink.gif  the wa5 can drive k1ks and even speakers. isn't the le pretty much the same thing sans spkr taps?  someone reported that the prototype rsa sr71b was able to drive the he6s, and that's a portable amp. a powerful one, but a portable nonetheless.

btw, whatsa realiser?


Edited by daveDerek - 11/17/10 at 9:32am
post #1043 of 14033
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylab View Post

Grokit you are commenting on the older HE-6 prototype and not the final version, correct?


No, he received his production version yesterday.
post #1044 of 14033

HE-6, a can of headphone amp paranoia. Once I get mine, I will surely try it with all of my little portable amps, even my little Tomahawk will get to drive it silly.

post #1045 of 14033

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by sillysally View Post

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by grokit View Post

Well as I feared my WA22 drives the HE-6 with the high gain tubes, but just barely. I have it pegged and the volume is loud but still listen-able, so obviously there is no headroom with that combo. I hope they scale up with my 50wpc power amp like the protos did, as this is similar to the experience that I had with the loaners. Unfortunately I am in the same boat as HA and am without a pigtail adapter atm, but I am working on it.

 

One thing is clear so far, the HE-6 is not a good compliment to my HD800 out of the WA22. Their power requirements are too different, and with the WA22 amp even single-ended the HD800 wins as the HE-6 is under-driven. Also their sound signatures are quite similar when compared this way; the HD800 has better soundstage and bass texture/extension, while the HE-6 is exhibiting a bit of a lower-mid bulge but yes very smooth upper mids and treble. But between the two headphones there is not enough sonic contrast, like there would be between the HD800 and the LCD-2. 

 

Sorry to read this, but I also didn't think your WA22 would power the HE-6.

I am concerned about my tricked out WA5LE/Realiser driving the HE-6, and I don't think there are many head amp combos that are as powerful as my WA5LE/Realiser.

 

If my WA5LE/Realiser will not drive the HE-6 then Hifiman can have them back. At that point put me on your waiting list LCD-2.

 
While I allowed the rumors of the greater efficiency of the prodos to build my hopes up for my WA22, my experience with the protos convinced me to consider building another headphone rig anyways. And I need another headphone rig like I need a hole in my head, but the HE-6 is that good. The prodos sound very good, neck and neck with the HD800 but they not the clear winner like the loaner protos were when they scaled up with my Alsesis RA100 speaker amp. It's frustrating that I don't have a speaker tap adapter because as good as they sound I know that there is potential for even more.
 
Also I just want to re-iterate that the HE-6 is not in danger of clipping with the WA22/5998; maxed out the combo is very loud but still quite listen-able.
 
Funny I was considering a LD MKVI like Maxvla when I got the WA22, that may have been a better choice now but then I wouldn't have learned so much about expensive tube rolling lol. Now however I am thinking that the perfect headphone amp is the WA5, with the WEE on the side. You could drive absolutely everything although it would be nice to have a second set of speaker taps put in to switch back and forth between the WEE and HE-6. But then you lose balanced operation are in Leben territory for price and function...
 
So I will likely keep the HE-6; I will have a whole new wifi speaker amp rig to play with but now I want the LCD-2 again for my WA22 and my wallet really hurts!

Edited by grokit - 11/18/10 at 10:13pm
post #1046 of 14033

Just like my 84DB 4 0hm need power and were not designed to be driven with 2W amps. I believe to get the best out of an 82DB headphone 50 watts should do seeing as they are less efficient than Magnepan speakers. Tough call unless you like speaker amps to drive your headphones IMO.


Edited by Frank I - 11/17/10 at 12:35pm
post #1047 of 14033

The HE-6 definitely sounds best when driven by an amp with plenty of headroom, that's for sure.  I intend to use it exclusively with my Mini-Torii.

post #1048 of 14033

I'm reading that so many powerful amps can't power them, then my LD IV and Auditor probably won't be able to power them either.  :/

post #1049 of 14033
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylab View Post

The HE-6 definitely sounds best when driven by an amp with plenty of headroom, that's for sure.  I intend to use it exclusively with my Mini-Torii.



Isn't the Mini-Tori a full speaker amp?

post #1050 of 14033
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacedonianHero View Post



Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylab View Post

The HE-6 definitely sounds best when driven by an amp with plenty of headroom, that's for sure.  I intend to use it exclusively with my Mini-Torii.



Isn't the Mini-Tori a full speaker amp?


for extra 100$ it can be transformed (modded) into LCD2 amp by Decware (gets a headphone jack)

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: High-end Audio Forum
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone