Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone - Page 686

post #10276 of 15471
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubstep Girl View Post
 

 

 

 

yeah thats why im interested in trying it out.

 

but its only 15W amp, it'll be nothing into the he-6s 50 ohms, especially since i listen kinda loud and like to raise the volume alot, and sometimes on those quieter recordings, or for bass, the gsx mk2 is good but limited because it still feels like the mids could be better and the treble could be smoother, and that puts out 8w into 50 ohms. 

 

like the F1J that prepro uses, thats only 10W amp, i don't know how much dynamic headroom you will have with one of these. 

Per the manual, the maximum unclipped output is +/- 13 V and +/- 2.5 A peak.

If your HE-6 are 50 ohms or so, you will be able to deliver nearly 3.4 Watts into the HE-6.  What does that mean for headroom?  I'm not sure.  Depends on how loud you listen.  It may be just fine.

 

The Headamp GS-X spec says 15 V peak to peak single ended, 30 V peak to peak balanced.  That +/- 7 V single ended, +/-15 V balanced.  For 50 ohm load that would equate to 1 Watts peak single ended, 4.5 Watts balanced.  Although, they spec 1 watt single ended, 2 watts balanced, so there may be a current limit dropping that balanced spec, OR the power specs are RMS, not peak ratings, I can't tell.

 

In any case, you would have slightly less headroom with the F3 than with the Headamp in balanced configuration.

 

Hope that helps a bit.

post #10277 of 15471

^ Great info. DG, I still say to give it a shot, Darryl is running 10w F1J, so there is some weight to that. However, you will need an active pre. The F3 has low gain, and a 10k input impedance. Running a plain DAC pre will not cut it, unless it has a seperate purposeful pre built inside it.

post #10278 of 15471
Quote:
Originally Posted by brunk View Post

Did you buy the cheap $4 chinese Denon pads, or from some authorized dealer? I can't find the 'real' ones lol
You'll have to ask Darryl. He bought them and I conned him out of a pair. These are pretty well made and I think I paid $12.
post #10279 of 15471
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Camper View Post


You'll have to ask Darryl. He bought them and I conned him out of a pair. These are pretty well made and I think I paid $12.

Yeah he mentioned earlier that he got them from Lawton. Thanks though :)

post #10280 of 15471
Quote:
Originally Posted by brunk View Post
 

^ Great info. DG, I still say to give it a shot, Darryl is running 10w F1J, so there is some weight to that. However, you will need an active pre. The F3 has low gain, and a 10k input impedance. Running a plain DAC pre will not cut it, unless it has a seperate purposeful pre built inside it.

 

that makes things harder since i dont think i have an active pre.

post #10281 of 15471

I would say - Stop looking at the watts on these speaker amps.  With these speaker amps the watts are a non issue - you will have plenty of headroom, you won't be able to make them clip - your ear drums will explode first.  

 

I think the specs for the GS-X mk2 potterma used are for the GS-X (mk1)  not sure.

 

Take a look at the J2 as well, that's a highly recommend amp with the HE-6 as well.

post #10282 of 15471
Yes I think it was the Mk I that I was able to find specs for.
I run my F1 with a passive pre and it does just fine with the HE-6. The f1 does sport 50k input SE while the F3 is a bit lower at 10k
Edited by potterma - 11/15/13 at 5:54am
post #10283 of 15471

j2 costs alot more than f3, looks like that would be better.

 

dont have a pre amp though.

post #10284 of 15471
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubstep Girl View Post

j2 costs alot more than f3, looks like that would be better.

dont have a pre amp though.

Sounds like a good excuse to go shopping for a preamp to me smily_headphones1.gif
post #10285 of 15471

at that point i would just stick with gsx mk2 and he-500 and maybe he-6 on gsx mk2, its still pretty good...

 

too much money for me right now, and i haven't heard the he-6 at its best yet.

post #10286 of 15471

You have your DAC - you can use it's pre amp section.

post #10287 of 15471
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubstep Girl View Post
 

at that point i would just stick with gsx mk2 and he-500 and maybe he-6 on gsx mk2, its still pretty good...

 

too much money for me right now, and i haven't heard the he-6 at its best yet.

Here is an option. This is the same amp model Dr. Fang was using to demo the HE-6 sometime ago.

http://app.audiogon.com/listings/solid-state-threshold-400a-recently-serviced-2013-10-30-amplifiers-20817-west-bethesda-md

post #10288 of 15471
Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman59 View Post
 

Here is an option. This is the same amp model Dr. Fang was using to demo the HE-6 sometime ago.

http://app.audiogon.com/listings/solid-state-threshold-400a-recently-serviced-2013-10-30-amplifiers-20817-west-bethesda-md

Was that amp designed by Nelson Pass?

post #10289 of 15471
Quote:
Originally Posted by preproman View Post
 

Was that amp designed by Nelson Pass?

Good question. I don't know. However, here is a good guide on some published circuits of Mr. Pass.

http://www.sounds.wa.com/reference/guide_draft.pdf

 

 

reference link:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/pass-labs/187649-concise-guide-published-amplifier-circuits-nelson-pass.html

 

EDIT: In addition to those who are interested, here is my favorite article by Mr. Pass. "The Sweet Spot" It's brilliant.


Edited by brunk - 11/15/13 at 9:36am
post #10290 of 15471
Quote:
Originally Posted by preproman View Post
 

Was that amp designed by Nelson Pass?

Yes, that amp is a Nelson Pass design. After that amp the S and SA series followed then the Se and SAe series. All of them design by Pass. The ones not designed by pass are  until the mid 90s T series (T50, T100, T200, T400 and T800) 

http://www.vintageamprepair.net/archiveamps.htm

http://thresholdlovers.com/articles.php?lng=en&pg=36

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: High-end Audio Forum
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone