Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone - Page 676

post #10126 of 14297
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent One View Post
 

953299

Mind taking a close-up photo of the cups, with flash? It's impossible to see if that is true piano black, or metallic purple-black.

post #10127 of 14297
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerg View Post
 

Mind taking a close-up photo of the cups, with flash? It's impossible to see if that is true piano black, or metallic purple-black.

 

From post #10089:

Quote:
I can confirm mine are shiny Black. Unscrewed the cables and took the cans and held them under fluorescent lights. And then went outdoors into the California sun. With this being the Golden State, the cans appear to be :rolleyes:... seriously though, they look Black outdoors, too. 

 

It's midnight, no guarantee I'll jump up and do it but may consider it later today...

 

Update.:

 

Just found a pix w/flash:

 

953599 

 

 

 

Fellow member brunk's image below:

 

 


Edited by Silent One - 11/11/13 at 3:18am
post #10128 of 14297
Ah! That last closeup is showing purple, so "black" and "purple" is the same ... ? Mine is also looking black, but with certain lightening conditions I see the purple color.
post #10129 of 14297
Hello Lars,

I think Silent One is saying the top picture is Silent one's black cans, and the bottom photo is from another poster showing the purple hue. Those two pictures are not the same headphones.
post #10130 of 14297

LarsHP please note, the bottom close-up belongs to brunk, mine is the one above.... not the same cans.

 

 

Okay, post now edited. :normal_smile :


Edited by Silent One - 11/11/13 at 3:19am
post #10131 of 14297
Potterma.

I know the chart you used , and I do not know the gauge wire brunk used. But I do know what he said he measured . As my wire I do not know what gauge copper is used, but I measured it my self .

So the supplied cable I have is 6 feet and each wire is .5 ohms . That is 2 ohms. And if brunk is 12 feet that would be 4 ohms. Furthermore the headphones are speakers compared to most other headphones so I feel the wire matters. When I have time I will make a set with 16 gauge lamp cord just to test . I do not know if the gauge makes changes in the sound quality. But I am sure the loudness will be less making the amp have to be more powerfull.

Al D
post #10132 of 14297
One more thing if the people here are correct and they have measured the resistance of other headphones and it was about 50% more this would mean you would need about 50% more power from your amp . That really makes me wonder about the drivers quality control or if they just use different drivers altogether .

Al D
post #10133 of 14297
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALRAINBOW View Post

Potterma.

I know the chart you used , and I do not know the gauge wire brunk used. But I do know what he said he measured . As my wire I do not know what gauge copper is used, but I measured it my self .

So the supplied cable I have is 6 feet and each wire is .5 ohms . That is 2 ohms. And if brunk is 12 feet that would be 4 ohms. Furthermore the headphones are speakers compared to most other headphones so I feel the wire matters. When I have time I will make a set with 16 gauge lamp cord just to test . I do not know if the gauge makes changes in the sound quality. But I am sure the loudness will be less making the amp have to be more powerfull.

Al D

 

What potterma used is Ohm's law. If you parallel 4 wires, you use the parallel resistance calculation. What you are using is serial resistance calculation.

post #10134 of 14297
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALRAINBOW View Post

Potterma.

I know the chart you used , and I do not know the gauge wire brunk used. But I do know what he said he measured . As my wire I do not know what gauge copper is used, but I measured it my self .

So the supplied cable I have is 6 feet and each wire is .5 ohms . That is 2 ohms. And if brunk is 12 feet that would be 4 ohms. Furthermore the headphones are speakers compared to most other headphones so I feel the wire matters. When I have time I will make a set with 16 gauge lamp cord just to test . I do not know if the gauge makes changes in the sound quality. But I am sure the loudness will be less making the amp have to be more powerfull.

Al D
I doubt your 6 foot of cable is actually half an ohm. Measuring such low impedance is not easy. Can't trust a DMM under a few to 10's of ohms depending on the meter. Also connection method is CRITICAL. You can get high impedance measurements with a crummy connection. And crummy is easy. Good is much harder. Now if you do a good solder connection to the measurement bridge in the meter, you might get closer to a real measurement.
post #10135 of 14297
Quote:
Originally Posted by potterma View Post


I doubt your 6 foot of cable is actually half an ohm. Measuring such low impedance is not easy. Can't trust a DMM under a few to 10's of ohms depending on the meter. Also connection method is CRITICAL. You can get high impedance measurements with a crummy connection. And crummy is easy. Good is much harder. Now if you do a good solder connection to the measurement bridge in the meter, you might get closer to a real measurement.

Yeah, that is why i stated in my measurements that i used alligator clips and measured the resistance of the meter itself before doing the wires. Then my #1 finding i stated is that i need a better meter lol. I am not arguing Ohm's Law lol, but I am very curious to the discrepancies among us. Could the manufacturing process vary that much? How much of this stuff is built by hand? Inquiring minds want to know!

post #10136 of 14297
The fluke dvm was used for the measurements and is very accurate . It measures the leads at .3 ohms and one wire from the he6 as .8 . It is very accurate . And yest I used ohms law so parallel will cut you resistance in half going from one wire to two . If you wish post the ohms law table.
post #10137 of 14297
Quote:
Originally Posted by songmic View Post
 

 

Do you usually listen to your HE-6 using those pleather pads? I never tried the stock pleather pads, replaced them with the stock velour pads as soon as I received my HE-6 because many people said that velour is better sounding. I personally think pleather looks better; these velour pads collect too much dust.

 

I use pleather pads on my HE-6 as well.

Actually, the better sounding velour is for the HE-500. To my ears, they sounded off with the pleather (kind of muffled mids, congested sound). The velours were much better in that aspect.

 

I didn't compare the velour and pleather on the HE-6 because the latter don't give me that congested sound and have a warmer tone - which I like on the HE-6 - so I don't need to take them off.

post #10138 of 14297

Back to the color topic:

 

I bought my first HE-4 in June 2011 (first planar headphone, for that matters). They were piano black (mat finish, not glossy) with the old plushy velour pads (very comfy but too mellow in terms of sound) and flimsy headband. It looked the same as the HE-6 in these days (piano black). The half-ring cup holder were piano black too.

 

The headband eventually broke in late 2012 (the cup fixation) so I send my pair to Hifiman for repair. They send me (what seemed to be) a new pair instead of replacing the headband.

This new pair came with a glossy, dark purple finish (which I liked a lot, actually) and the half-ring were metallic grey (like those of the HE-500). It's definitely a different finish. It looks cheaper but I like the hue.

 

It seems the HE-500 also has 2 different finish: mine (April 2012) was mat grey. the newer version have a glossy grey finish.

post #10139 of 14297
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemmaster View Post
 

Back to the color topic:

 

I bought my first HE-4 in June 2011 (first planar headphone, for that matters). They were piano black (mat finish, not glossy) with the old plushy velour pads (very comfy but too mellow in terms of sound) and flimsy headband. It looked the same as the HE-6 in these days (piano black). The half-ring cup holder were piano black too.

 

The headband eventually broke in late 2012 (the cup fixation) so I send my pair to Hifiman for repair. They send me (what seemed to be) a new pair instead of replacing the headband.

This new pair came with a glossy, dark purple finish (which I liked a lot, actually) and the half-ring were metallic grey (like those of the HE-500). It's definitely a different finish. It looks cheaper but I like the hue.

 

It seems the HE-500 also has 2 different finish: mine (April 2012) was mat grey. the newer version have a glossy grey finish.

 

 

+1

 

ive seen older matte gray he-500 and they look bad compared to the new glossy he-500 like mine.

 

too bad my newer he-6 doesn't look as nice as Silent One's. it looks more like the purple one in that picture.

 

its not as black as that one, not as purple either. but definitely slightly purplish.

post #10140 of 14297
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubstep Girl View Post
 

 

 

+1

 

ive seen older matte gray he-500 and they look bad compared to the new glossy he-500 like mine.

 

too bad my newer he-6 doesn't look as nice as Silent One's. it looks more like the purple one in that picture.

 

its not as black as that one, not as purple either. but definitely slightly purplish.

Yeah, the purple i displayed is the maximum you can see it to demonstrate the hue. Under normal lighting/distance conditions, it's virtually indistinguishable.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: High-end Audio Forum
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone