New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Driving with Headphones - Page 15

post #211 of 252

Indeed.

 

I have never owned a car, and don't intend to, though I drive from time to time. People who drive like it's a right really should examine their driving habits. Laws need to be made to protect drivers and pedestrians/bicyclists. Not clamping down on headphones (not music), eating, cigarettes, etc., is incompetence at the law-making level and carelessness by governments. Making excuses is obviously a pride point; 'don't tell me what to do!', 'you don't know anything about how good I am!', etc., are responses that largely indicate poor driving simply because a good driver would be open to criticism and want to change in order to further safety.
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by shane55 View Post

I like to be as aware of my surroundings as possible. All mirrors are used, music is never turned up too loud and I rarely if ever look at anyone else in my car when talking.

Following many drivers, watching them as they keep turning their heads to be sure to make eye-contact with their passengers as they are deep in expressive conversation, always floors me. Have eye-contact with the road, not your guest.

This morning I passed someone with a cigarette in one hand and a can of coke in the other.

 

Bad drivers, drivers that can not drive well or make very bad decisions are made much worse by distractions. Good drivers have their driving abilities compromised by distractions.

I don't think most people can drive well. I don't think most people can handle shutting off their ears to what is around them.

 

There are too many distractions already. It's foolish to add to them.



 

post #212 of 252
Quote:
Originally Posted by shigzeo View Post

Indeed.

 

I have never owned a car, and don't intend to, though I drive from time to time. People who drive like it's a right really should examine their driving habits.


Right or not, driving is a necessity out her in the 'burbs and even more so further out in the country.  That doesn't mean that we should allow people who obviously can't handle the responsibility (DUIs, etc.) to drive but you really need to demonstrate actual harm or a high probability of it before the state has the right to cripple someone's livelihood.

post #213 of 252

Yes, but I use these special open air ones called air drives, SUPER open. I test drive cars that aren't mine, some times over great distances, and cannot mess with the radio so there you go.

post #214 of 252

So what you're saying is that everyone who argues with you is obviously a bad driver? Everyone has to be mature enough to know his/her own limits. You say you don't drive alot, then perhaps you should refrain from popping your favourite IEMs in when getting behind the wheel. That you want to further safety does not make you a better driver than me, who's spent over 20.000 hours driving (that's excluding driving outside of work), but I know my limits just as you do. I wouldn't try reading a book or watching a movie while driving, but my ears have nothing to do with my ability to drive - you might aswell argue that deaf people should never be allowed to drive.

 

If you want to have a go at something, rage at billboards and other road-side advertisements - those are far more dangerous distractions than music.
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by shigzeo View Post

Indeed.

 

I have never owned a car, and don't intend to, though I drive from time to time. People who drive like it's a right really should examine their driving habits. Laws need to be made to protect drivers and pedestrians/bicyclists. Not clamping down on headphones (not music), eating, cigarettes, etc., is incompetence at the law-making level and carelessness by governments. Making excuses is obviously a pride point; 'don't tell me what to do!', 'you don't know anything about how good I am!', etc., are responses that largely indicate poor driving simply because a good driver would be open to criticism and want to change in order to further safety.
 



 



 

post #215 of 252
Quote:
Originally Posted by b0ck3n View Post

If you want to have a go at something, rage at billboards and other road-side advertisements - those are far more dangerous distractions than music.


Especially the animated/video ones.  Those sound like recipes for disaster.  I wonder if there are any statistics on them.

post #216 of 252

lol, this is an earphones forum...and I love my earphones, my car stereo isn't so good. Some people drink alcohol, smoke, use cell phones, eat hamburgers, drink coffee etc... in their cars...wearing earphones in the car is my one vice! Of course it would be safer to not do any of those things, to be a 100% attentative driver. But in America, we have the freedom to put ourselves and others in danger at a calculated risk. And most importantly, as humans, we have the power of rationalization. Murderers and thieves will cry about why they are not bad guys, it is our nature to justify our questionable actions on all levels, our own subconscious brain protects us and assures us that we are gentle souls...

 

 

 

 

post #217 of 252

Absolutely ridiculous, but well said...

post #218 of 252

Actually, I do take issue with deaf people driving - is that even legal in Sweden? Strange, if so. I didn't say I am a better driver than anyone else. Until recently, I've never lived in a town larger than 100 000 people. I ride bicycles, take busses, the train, etc.. I even walk. My issue is with people who turn the cockpit into their own private free-for all. It isn't music that is the problem. Headphones go in the ear or over the ear. They obstruct movement, and delude the senses. They affect a person very much like a couple of drinks does and if you are fine with that, then go ahead. Again, this is the internet and a free zone. We are free to put everyone is as much danger as we want.
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0ck3n View Post

So what you're saying is that everyone who argues with you is obviously a bad driver? Everyone has to be mature enough to know his/her own limits. You say you don't drive alot, then perhaps you should refrain from popping your favourite IEMs in when getting behind the wheel. That you want to further safety does not make you a better driver than me, who's spent over 20.000 hours driving (that's excluding driving outside of work), but I know my limits just as you do. I wouldn't try reading a book or watching a movie while driving, but my ears have nothing to do with my ability to drive - you might aswell argue that deaf people should never be allowed to drive.

 

If you want to have a go at something, rage at billboards and other road-side advertisements - those are far more dangerous distractions than music.
 



 



 

post #219 of 252
Yes, deaf people are allowed to take a driver's license in Sweden. They're also allowed at the movies.

Riding a bicycle or even walking requires more motorics than driving, I don't really see how headphones obstruct with one turning a steering wheel, or moving ones head side to side. Many of us take our headphones to the gym, but perhaps that's a skill saved for only a few aswell.

It's quite ridiculous to compare use of headphones to driving drunk - that is unless you start fiddling around with your DAP and not keeping your eyes on the road - in which case, statistically, it's equally dangerous. But I refuse to accept that my use of IEMs while driving puts people in danger as I'm very serious about driving, and luckily have been able to stave off potential accidents with bad drivers who didn't use headphones.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shigzeo View Post

Actually, I do take issue with deaf people driving - is that even legal in Sweden? Strange, if so. I didn't say I am a better driver than anyone else. Until recently, I've never lived in a town larger than 100 000 people. I ride bicycles, take busses, the train, etc.. I even walk. My issue is with people who turn the cockpit into their own private free-for all. It isn't music that is the problem. Headphones go in the ear or over the ear. They obstruct movement, and delude the senses. They affect a person very much like a couple of drinks does and if you are fine with that, then go ahead. Again, this is the internet and a free zone. We are free to put everyone is as much danger as we want.
 



 

post #220 of 252
Quote:
Originally Posted by shigzeo View Post

Actually, I do take issue with deaf people driving - is that even legal in Sweden? Strange, if so.


Are deaf people not allowed to drive in Korea?

 

post #221 of 252

Shigzeo, something else I just thought of.  You said that you don't own or haven't ever owned a car (I forget which) but drive from time to time.  I'm assuming that you either borrow one from a friend/family member or rent one when you happen to need it.  Unless you do this very often and usually get the same car each time you will probably never get used to a particular car.

 

To me, familiarity with a vehicle is key to driving it safely and if I'm driving something new I keep all potential distractions to a minimum.  Stereo off or just loud enough to break up the road noise, no answering my cell, no talking to passengers, just driving and learning the way the new vehicle behaves.  I would argue that driving an unfamiliar car is likely an order of magnitude more "risky" than listening to music via headphones while driving a familiar car.

 

I would certainly recommend that you keep distractions to a minimum until you know your car like a lover.  Whenever you acquire a new vehicle you should spend a weekend on an extended shakedown run on deserted back roads to get used to it before you have to worry about traffic, pedestrians, and other hazards.

post #222 of 252

Driving with headphones is not nearly as dangerous as texting.  At least with headphones you are watching everything that is going on which is far more important than hearing what is going on.  Texting and driving as incredibly dangerous.

 

 

post #223 of 252

Texting with earphones on and driving would be the worst combination then :P

 

I just don't want any distractions while driving that can be avoided. For me that includes driving with earphones on which I would not even have thought to do so anyway. Texting is also another thing. I don't even know why people text while driving. You are taking your hands off the wheel and also not looking at the road. Some people may be able to drive while doing that but it is illegal here and I believe anything other than some kind of headset to talk on the phone while driving is illegal. Some people may be able to do it but I try to be a safe driver so if someone has to wait a bit longer for me to respond to a text then so be it. Also with earphones I can see it being dangerous as you could get lost in the music and be in isolation. Actually a few days ago I was walking and I couldn't hear an ambulance with sirens on while listening at a not very high volume so I would want to hear sirens if they needed me to get out of the way.

 

That's my take on it. I'd like to be aware of my surroundings and limit the distractions that I can control such as texting, headphones,etc. Driving here is stressful enough esp during rush hour without needing something that could possibly cause an accident.

post #224 of 252
Quote:
Originally Posted by rawrster View Post

. Driving here is stressful enough esp during rush hour without needing something that could possibly cause an accident.


Especially in NY City !  Yikes!
 

 

post #225 of 252

Personally, I don't drive with headphones/earbuds just in case. I listen to my mp3 player on the stereo and tend to pick one album so I don't have to change the music. I tried it with earbuds once, and I could still hear road noise (I drive a SUV). Driving on the highway or on city freeways, I find that most of my attention is visual anyway. I don't think it would cause any problems. However, falling asleep or zoning out from exhaustion/boredom because I didn't have on music would be a bigger problem for me. Btw, it's not illegal where I live.


Edited by blackcoffeex1 - 3/17/11 at 10:33pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav: