I'm looking for something that's just straight up critical. I rock a K701, so I'm half way there. I would use it more for referencing than pleasure, so no worries about fatigue. I've heard people say the Benchmark DAC1 amp does its job "too well," especially with a 701. That's the type of thing I'm looking for. Something a sound engineer would use. Unfortunately Benchmark discontinued their H1 standalone headphone amp. People call the GS-1 "transparent." But most people also like that amp, which makes me wary. If anyone's familiar with the history of Yamaha's NS10 studio monitor, I'm looking for the equivalent headphone amp. (The NS10 is a speaker that to most ears sounds quite terrible, but is in reality an uncompromisingly honest speaker.)
Related Forum Threads
- How can you tell if your amp is warm or bright? Last post on 11/17/10 at 6:12am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Amp upgrade - tell me what I should be hearing! Last post on 8/22/10 at 8:25pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Audeze LCD-2 vs AKG K701 on a Schiit Lyr is it worth it? Last post on 10/11/11 at 7:54pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Powerful dac/amps with quality sound for orthos. Last post on 9/30/11 at 12:59am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Looking for a headphone amplifier for a pair of AKG K 701's Last post on 3/1/12 at 7:43am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
Diy Beginners Guide
Last edited: 7/22/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
Out-of-box experience.....Accessories and packaging Receiving and unboxing the RHA T20 gives the impression that this product is not just "some" product. Everything signals quality and thought....
Firstly, like to thank Billy from Busisoft for organising the Westone UM PRO 10 for this review. Westone needs no introduction, they are one of the industry leaders for professional monitors...
Intro:- I was really excited when SoundMAGIC announced a couple of new earphones with a new “Reference” line up, Led by E80, their flagship, and subordinate E50( like Bumblebee), what I...
I was invited by Noontec to write a honest review of their Hammo S headphone. I tend to be very skeptical about lower-priced headphones, since the bottom tier of headphones/speakers tend to...
Construction, Materials, and Comfort: For starters, the protein leather is extremely soft and supple, and makes the ear pads and headband luxurious to touch. Heat retention actually isn't as bad...
- Headphone Impedance
What if I want a super cold headphone amp?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
Like to see that you appreciate honest nature of akg k701 and think that is the only way to go with akg 701/2. Lake people or violectric amplification is very good choice and you should check into danfield audio PM2.
the gs-1 is a dynalo design, i believe. and is discontinued.
but, it has a reputation of being neutral.
Sheer Audio makes a dynalo called the ha-006+.
"wire with gain", so they say.
The Lehmann Black Cube Linear.
German precision, without a soul. Often described as the closest to a straight wire that neither adds nor subtracts from the signal. People around here really despise this amp for its transparency, detail and transient speed coupled with zero emotion. I couple it to my K701 with a Bryston BDA-1 DAC (a reference studio dac) and I find it ruthlessly revealing (I personally love the combination). Also a great amp for evaluating all my headphones and their outright technical capability.
Culmination are drawings of amps on lake people site, they dont have a single picture ! ?
Edited by loopfreak - 5/19/10 at 3:44pm
I was after the same thing with my latest setup. I wanted to keep it simple and clinical. The 701/Benchmark combo, I feel, has given me the truth...warts and all.
I enjoy it tremendously for listening "into" a recording. Highly recommended.
You may want to consider a Grace amp which is used in the music industry for analysis of playback. Personally, I use my vintage Marantz solid state for a colder presentation at times but only with speakers because with headphones, cold amps can be more ear fatiguing. I also find Headroom amps to be on the cold side IMO but in a good way.
- What if I want a super cold headphone amp?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › Adding quality input, output (w/DAC and Amp) in elegant solution 55 seconds ago
- › Best classical recordings...ever! 1 minute ago
- › Flare Audio R2PRO Kickstarter campaign 3 minutes ago
- › AudioQuest NightHawk Headphone Unveiled Today 3 minutes ago
- › Megatron electrostatic with boutique parts, extra tubes 5 minutes ago
- › Noble Audio - the Wizard returns! 6 minutes ago
- › The Audio Critic Has Retired 6 minutes ago
- › If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you... 7 minutes ago
- › FiiO X5 2nd gen Impressions and Discussion + Tour Application... 8 minutes ago
- › Audeze LCD-2 Impressions Thread 9 minutes ago
- › RHA T20 by rasmushorn
- › Westone UM Pro10 High Performance Single Driver Noise-Isolating... by pformagg
- › SoundMAGIC E50 / E50S by suman134
- › Noontec Hammo S Over Ear Headphone Audiophile Sound Stylish Looking... by Lunatique
- › OPPO PM-3 by RazrLeaf
- › Xtreme Xplosives In Ear by Omar717
- › Wyrd USB Decrapifier by morethansense
- › Sony XBA-10/N Gold | Balanced Armature In-Ear Headphones (Japanese... by LikeABell
- › Joseph Grado HPA-1 by kayandjohn
- › Creative Sound Blaster E1 Portable Headphone Amplifier with... by Evshrug
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)