I'm looking for something that's just straight up critical. I rock a K701, so I'm half way there. I would use it more for referencing than pleasure, so no worries about fatigue. I've heard people say the Benchmark DAC1 amp does its job "too well," especially with a 701. That's the type of thing I'm looking for. Something a sound engineer would use. Unfortunately Benchmark discontinued their H1 standalone headphone amp. People call the GS-1 "transparent." But most people also like that amp, which makes me wary. If anyone's familiar with the history of Yamaha's NS10 studio monitor, I'm looking for the equivalent headphone amp. (The NS10 is a speaker that to most ears sounds quite terrible, but is in reality an uncompromisingly honest speaker.)
Related Forum Threads
- Amp upgrade - tell me what I should be hearing! Last post on 8/22/10 at 8:25pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Audeze LCD-2 vs AKG K701 on a Schiit Lyr is it worth it? Last post on 10/11/11 at 7:54pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Powerful dac/amps with quality sound for orthos. Last post on 9/30/11 at 12:59am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Looking for a headphone amplifier for a pair of AKG K 701's Last post on 3/1/12 at 7:43am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Amp for 100$ Last post on 8/3/11 at 3:53am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
Diy Beginners Guide
Last edited: 7/22/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
Okay, these are my thoughts after a few hours. I recognize that's it's only been a few hours, but my opinion rarely changes with additional time. Initial Impressions: As has been...
I recently parted with my V-Moda Crossfade M-100 DJ Headphones and decided to move into something new. I had heard a lot about the Sennheiser HD 8 DJ and had a chance to own a pair for a Discount...
To be able to value my review I think it is important to mention some things about my preferences and experience with audio equipment and writing reviews. This is my first review for audio gear and...
Hifiman EF2A Review Overview:This is my first headphone amp review and I'm just going to review the amp section of this headphone amp as the DAC is nothing special, a bit better than most computer...
RockJaw ALFA GENUS IEM Review by TrollDragon Way back in April a new Sponsor on Head-Fi called RockJaw created a post looking for members to test and review a new product line consisting...
- Headphone Impedance
What if I want a super cold headphone amp?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
Like to see that you appreciate honest nature of akg k701 and think that is the only way to go with akg 701/2. Lake people or violectric amplification is very good choice and you should check into danfield audio PM2.
the gs-1 is a dynalo design, i believe. and is discontinued.
but, it has a reputation of being neutral.
Sheer Audio makes a dynalo called the ha-006+.
"wire with gain", so they say.
The Lehmann Black Cube Linear.
German precision, without a soul. Often described as the closest to a straight wire that neither adds nor subtracts from the signal. People around here really despise this amp for its transparency, detail and transient speed coupled with zero emotion. I couple it to my K701 with a Bryston BDA-1 DAC (a reference studio dac) and I find it ruthlessly revealing (I personally love the combination). Also a great amp for evaluating all my headphones and their outright technical capability.
Culmination are drawings of amps on lake people site, they dont have a single picture ! ?
Edited by loopfreak - 5/19/10 at 3:44pm
I was after the same thing with my latest setup. I wanted to keep it simple and clinical. The 701/Benchmark combo, I feel, has given me the truth...warts and all.
I enjoy it tremendously for listening "into" a recording. Highly recommended.
You may want to consider a Grace amp which is used in the music industry for analysis of playback. Personally, I use my vintage Marantz solid state for a colder presentation at times but only with speakers because with headphones, cold amps can be more ear fatiguing. I also find Headroom amps to be on the cold side IMO but in a good way.
- What if I want a super cold headphone amp?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › A (faulty?) review of a recent SS headphone amplifier 13 seconds ago
- › Crack;Bottlehead OTL 37 seconds ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 59 seconds ago
- › The DX90 by iBasso . . . Sound impressions . . . . . . . New... 1 minute ago
- › Tralucent DacAmp One - Introduction - Impressions Thread. 1 minute ago
- › Westone W60 Appreciation Thread 2 minutes ago
- › Shure SE846 Impressions Thread 2 minutes ago
- › Music Game IX 2 minutes ago
- › = HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread = 2 minutes ago
- › New Shure SE535 + PTH 2 minutes ago
- › HiFiMAN HE-560 by MattTCG
- › Sennheiser HD8 DJ On Ear Headphones by DJPhiltheThrill
- › FiiO X5 High-res Portable Music Player by Cachicamo
- › Hifiman EF2A Usb Headphone Amplifier by kman1211
- › ROCK JAW ALFA GENUS by TrollDragon
- › Sony MDR-MA900 Over the Head Style Headphones by kman1211
- › Sennheiser HD 201 Headphones by MarcadoStalker7
- › NCredible NErgy In-Ear Headphones by Monster® by gopats1479
- › Schiit Asgard 2 by Hi-Fi'er
- › HA-200 High Performance, Single Ended, Class-A Headphone Amplifier... by Armaegis
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Exercise Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Wireless Headphones)