I'm looking for something that's just straight up critical. I rock a K701, so I'm half way there. I would use it more for referencing than pleasure, so no worries about fatigue. I've heard people say the Benchmark DAC1 amp does its job "too well," especially with a 701. That's the type of thing I'm looking for. Something a sound engineer would use. Unfortunately Benchmark discontinued their H1 standalone headphone amp. People call the GS-1 "transparent." But most people also like that amp, which makes me wary. If anyone's familiar with the history of Yamaha's NS10 studio monitor, I'm looking for the equivalent headphone amp. (The NS10 is a speaker that to most ears sounds quite terrible, but is in reality an uncompromisingly honest speaker.)
Related Forum Threads
- How can you tell if your amp is warm or bright? Last post on 11/17/10 at 6:12am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Amp upgrade - tell me what I should be hearing! Last post on 8/22/10 at 8:25pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Audeze LCD-2 vs AKG K701 on a Schiit Lyr is it worth it? Last post on 10/11/11 at 7:54pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Powerful dac/amps with quality sound for orthos. Last post on 9/30/11 at 12:59am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Looking for a headphone amplifier for a pair of AKG K 701's Last post on 3/1/12 at 7:43am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs)
Last edited: 12/6/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs) 2Last edited: 12/16/16
- Diy Beginners GuideLast edited: 7/22/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
INTRODUCTION few months back my friend tried these headphones. Few days ago she wanted to buy it from me. And I quote her to start this review off "I've never heard music like I did with this...
I have had the headset for about 12 months now so I will just drop some of my long term expectations to anyone wanting to buy this. I have the second (current) revision of the headphones with the...
*review this right after i have this headphone. burn in test not yet available Lost my AKG K403, my very first HD headphone (to me). Very low on budget, found this, bought it, waited for a near...
INTRODUCTION: Paw Gold is a high resolution music player from the brand Lotoo, that is part of the Beijing Infomedia Electronic Technology Co Ltd. It sports an industrial looking outer body...
Too much dirt and sibilance at 5.5-6.5KHz. Also they are not so murderous about bass as many people suggest. Characteristics (subjective, 10 max): Resolution:...
What if I want a super cold headphone amp?post #1 of 315/19/10 at 1:10amThread Starter
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 315/19/10 at 5:12am
Like to see that you appreciate honest nature of akg k701 and think that is the only way to go with akg 701/2. Lake people or violectric amplification is very good choice and you should check into danfield audio PM2.post #3 of 315/19/10 at 5:18am
the gs-1 is a dynalo design, i believe. and is discontinued.
but, it has a reputation of being neutral.
Sheer Audio makes a dynalo called the ha-006+.
"wire with gain", so they say.post #4 of 315/19/10 at 5:38ampost #5 of 315/19/10 at 6:19am
The Lehmann Black Cube Linear.
German precision, without a soul. Often described as the closest to a straight wire that neither adds nor subtracts from the signal. People around here really despise this amp for its transparency, detail and transient speed coupled with zero emotion. I couple it to my K701 with a Bryston BDA-1 DAC (a reference studio dac) and I find it ruthlessly revealing (I personally love the combination). Also a great amp for evaluating all my headphones and their outright technical capability.post #6 of 315/19/10 at 6:28ampost #7 of 315/19/10 at 8:21amThread Starterpost #8 of 315/19/10 at 8:29ampost #9 of 315/19/10 at 8:32amQuote:As I look these amps up, it's interesting to see that even their physical appearances are "cold." Just a box. Very unlike most warmer amps, usually jazzed up.
Culmination are drawings of amps on lake people site, they dont have a single picture ! ?
Edited by loopfreak - 5/19/10 at 3:44pmpost #10 of 315/19/10 at 8:55ampost #11 of 315/19/10 at 10:40ampost #12 of 315/19/10 at 1:37pmpost #13 of 315/19/10 at 2:51pmThread Starterpost #14 of 315/19/10 at 4:53pm
I was after the same thing with my latest setup. I wanted to keep it simple and clinical. The 701/Benchmark combo, I feel, has given me the truth...warts and all.
I enjoy it tremendously for listening "into" a recording. Highly recommended.
Billpost #15 of 315/19/10 at 7:18pm
You may want to consider a Grace amp which is used in the music industry for analysis of playback. Personally, I use my vintage Marantz solid state for a colder presentation at times but only with speakers because with headphones, cold amps can be more ear fatiguing. I also find Headroom amps to be on the cold side IMO but in a good way.
- What if I want a super cold headphone amp?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs) 2
- › Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (Portable Headphones and IEMs) 40 seconds ago
- › Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread 44 seconds ago
- › The Member-Judged Fine Art Head-Fi Gallery 1 minute ago
- › Rock Jaw Resonate impression thread 1 minute ago
- › Needing help with headphone amp information and suggestions 1 minute ago
- › Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up 1 minute ago
- › Yulong Sabre D18 thread: reviews, impressions, discussion (full... 2 minutes ago
- › Cayin iDAC-6 - Review tour (USA only for now), impressions, discussion 2 minutes ago
- › Focal Elear and Utopia Review / Preview With Measurements - Head-Fi TV 2 minutes ago
- › Pictures of Your Portable Rig (part XVI) 2 minutes ago
- › AKG K 550 by SOULSIK
- › Sennheiser G4ME ZERO Over-Ear Gaming Headset by Jetpil0t
- › Superlux HD 681 by IkuMiku96
- › Lotoo Paw Gold by EagleWings
- › JVC HA-FX101 by PETEBULL
- › Etymotic ER4XR by HiFiChris
- › ZMF Headphones Eikon by Aornic
- › Accutone Pisces HD by Cinder
- › Beyerdynamic DT 480 by kman1211
- › Schiit Audio Yggdrasil by Currawong
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear