I'm looking for something that's just straight up critical. I rock a K701, so I'm half way there. I would use it more for referencing than pleasure, so no worries about fatigue. I've heard people say the Benchmark DAC1 amp does its job "too well," especially with a 701. That's the type of thing I'm looking for. Something a sound engineer would use. Unfortunately Benchmark discontinued their H1 standalone headphone amp. People call the GS-1 "transparent." But most people also like that amp, which makes me wary. If anyone's familiar with the history of Yamaha's NS10 studio monitor, I'm looking for the equivalent headphone amp. (The NS10 is a speaker that to most ears sounds quite terrible, but is in reality an uncompromisingly honest speaker.)
Related Forum Threads
- Amp upgrade - tell me what I should be hearing! Last post on 8/22/10 at 8:25pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Audeze LCD-2 vs AKG K701 on a Schiit Lyr is it worth it? Last post on 10/11/11 at 7:54pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Powerful dac/amps with quality sound for orthos. Last post on 9/30/11 at 12:59am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Looking for a headphone amplifier for a pair of AKG K 701's Last post on 3/1/12 at 7:43am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Amp for 100$ Last post on 8/3/11 at 3:53am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
Diy Beginners Guide
Last edited: 7/22/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
Switching from desktop audio system to the dap system is a painful experience if you have a seriously monitoring taste for any music and get used to top-notch headphones system like hd800+ ecba...
Presentation That's a lovely box it comes in. I'm not being snarky at all; it really is nice. Totally for presentation though, not for transport/portability. Construction The...
For larger views of any of the photos (1200 x 800) - please click on the individual images The formula above in the title simply refers to Sound Quality + Build Quality + Perceived Value. ...
So I've had this thing for a bit now... first one to ship into the wild and arrive at its home. I'd say I'm pretty confident I know what this thing sounds like. The interface is classic...
Let's keep this short. There are better headphones out there without any cons. The Grado RS1i can get shouty at times or give a bit of weird bass. The comfort isn't great either although I changed...
- Headphone Impedance
What if I want a super cold headphone amp?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
Like to see that you appreciate honest nature of akg k701 and think that is the only way to go with akg 701/2. Lake people or violectric amplification is very good choice and you should check into danfield audio PM2.
the gs-1 is a dynalo design, i believe. and is discontinued.
but, it has a reputation of being neutral.
Sheer Audio makes a dynalo called the ha-006+.
"wire with gain", so they say.
The Lehmann Black Cube Linear.
German precision, without a soul. Often described as the closest to a straight wire that neither adds nor subtracts from the signal. People around here really despise this amp for its transparency, detail and transient speed coupled with zero emotion. I couple it to my K701 with a Bryston BDA-1 DAC (a reference studio dac) and I find it ruthlessly revealing (I personally love the combination). Also a great amp for evaluating all my headphones and their outright technical capability.
Culmination are drawings of amps on lake people site, they dont have a single picture ! ?
Edited by loopfreak - 5/19/10 at 3:44pm
I was after the same thing with my latest setup. I wanted to keep it simple and clinical. The 701/Benchmark combo, I feel, has given me the truth...warts and all.
I enjoy it tremendously for listening "into" a recording. Highly recommended.
You may want to consider a Grace amp which is used in the music industry for analysis of playback. Personally, I use my vintage Marantz solid state for a colder presentation at times but only with speakers because with headphones, cold amps can be more ear fatiguing. I also find Headroom amps to be on the cold side IMO but in a good way.
- What if I want a super cold headphone amp?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › WTB: used Hifiman RE-272, RE-262, UM miracle 1 minute ago
- › Grado Fan Club! 2 minutes ago
- › The Nameless Guide To PC Gaming Audio (with binaural headphone... 2 minutes ago
- › FiiO X1, the new start of the high-res DAP with individual DAC and... 2 minutes ago
- › The Fiio X3 Thread. 4 minutes ago
- › The new IEM of Vsonic VSD 3S ( impression updated by smailbz) 5 minutes ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 6 minutes ago
- › Denon AH-D7100 Like New 6 minutes ago
- › Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (Headphones, IEMs, Amps, DACs) 7 minutes ago
- › Fiio X1 VS Colorfly C3? 7 minutes ago
- › Aune M1 Hi-Fi Wav Player by wtnwin111
- › HiFiMAN HE-560 by Armaegis
- › Fidue A83 Reference Class Triple Hybrid IEM by Brooko
- › Audio-gd NFB29 by kvtaco17
- › Grado RS1i Reference Series Headphones by Textfeud
- › Shure SRH 440 Professional Studio Headphones by donniefalcone
- › Denon AH-D7100 Music Maniac by lizhenghong728
- › Cypher Labs Theorem 720 DAC Headphone Amplifier by cripple1
- › iBasso DX90 Portable Digital Audio Player by marhol
- › ASUS Vulcan ANC Circumaural Pro Gaming Headset by robthebiggerman
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Exercise Headphones)