Is the balanced protector w/balanced cable that much better, than an amp like ibasso or pico single ended? is it worth the extra $$? how much % wise would you say? I heard it is more "holographic". While I am intrigued, the simplicity of single ended, and cheaper cost, might be better.
Related Forum Threads
- New to amps...Help! Fiio E7 vs. Fiio E11 Last post on 1/27/14 at 10:17pm in Portable Headphone Amps
- Portable Amp For AKG K240 MKIi Last post on 8/12/12 at 8:24am in Portable Headphone Amps
- [LIST][OPINION] Amp recommendations for Fostex/Denon Headphones. Last post on 11/14/14 at 4:34pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Leckerton Audio UHA-3 Issues Last post on 7/16/12 at 8:26pm in Portable Headphone Amps
Diy Beginners Guide
Last edited: 7/22/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
This is a good amplifier in my limited experience, *but*, it might not better than some of the leading solid-state competitors in this price range ($500-600). I haven't compared it too, for...
Wonderful headset. Very underrated because razer gets a lot of hate for being mainstream
The Awei Q9s are really bang for bucks! You can't go wrong with these! Unless you have tiny ears... Packaging: the packaging is standard. It brings the S/M/L tips and a shirt-clip. However, the...
I just got these in from Koss today and initial impressions are incredibly positive. These are Koss' second best headphone available that I have tried (DJ100, DJ200, PRO4AA, PRO4AAT, PRO4AAAT, and...
Comfort and build quality these would not look out of place at £600. Out of all the headphones I have tried these have the best overall sound which works with every type of music and overall sound...
- Headphone Impedance
is balanced protector so much better than single ended portable amp??
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
It easily drives HD650's to sound much better than any of my single ended amps, including home amp and just does a great job with my other phones. To have a portable that can sound so good with my JH13's or most of my other balanced phones is a joy. Great music is brought to life.
i think that all the people that said no have not had the pleasure of listening to the protector. I owned both the protector and the Pico Slim, and ended up selling off the slim after 2 or 3 weeks having determined it was not as good as the protector.
Though one area in which the slim wins is size, it is miniscule, and the battery lasts about twice as long, around 60 hours compared to around 25 ish.
all of the comparisons were done with my jh-13's, with TWag recable, using my Audio GD dac19mk3
EDIT: percentages are hard to quantify when it comes to audio, so i will refrain from including one, 5% to me might be 30% to someone else, it all depends on perspective.
Edited by SoupRKnowva - 5/18/10 at 4:13am
I will also say yes. To me the Protector balanced is clearly better than my iBasso D10 with HiFlight topkit. Comparison done with JH13 with TWag cable and TWag converter to 1/8". This not to say that the Protector is better than every single ended amp on the market as I have naturally not heard everything but I thought the D10 was a very decent amp and it is clearly beaten. On the other hand the Protector cost a fair bit more than the D10 and to that you have to add whatever it takes for your phones to go balanced so it will be up to the individual to decide if it is worth it.
My 2 cents is that for a lot of people, the differences will not come to light on most run-of-the-mill recordings currently on the market. When you listen to reference masters either live performance or quality studio recordings conservatively mixed and mastered, the differences shine with the Protector Balanced setup. With Lady Gaga or virtually any other pop track, it may or may not be as apparent. Your system can only render what's put into it. Garbage in/garbage out.
Check out HDTracks.com or ElusiveDisc.com for some quality recordings and obtain at least a few of them. You'll be amazed how much crap is sold on CDs these days, in terms of quality, not to speak of the music itself.
momomo6789 had a protector and sold it.
Edited by dcpoor - 5/19/10 at 4:20pm
I despise the greater majority of the new crap out there, but what's really sad is when you find the few gems out of them, and then find it unbearable because of horrible sound mixing. I've noticed it more and more as I've upgraded my gear, and unfortunately, once you hone in on the more typical flaws you start hearing them regardless of your gear. What I need now is a good way to mask these inferior records, if relatively easy methods for such things exist...
I have tried most of the portable amps out there and I agree that balanced mode on Protector is better than most if not all of the portable amps out there. It is better but not "so much" better. I decided to keep both Protector and Pico Slim, I use Protector mainly at work and use Pico Slim during travel and taking subways.
One thing I did notice is the Protector is very depending on sources, I can tell the difference between iMod and iPhone as the source much easier than Pico Slim.
I have a regular Pico, Hornet M and Lisa lll. The problem is that I usually try to use the Lisa lll, but I am waiting on JH13s which which don't match with Lisa lll. So is it worth it to get a new amp on top of the pico and hornet that will currently drive the JH13s and then have to buy the balanced Twang as well. Seems kind of a steep upgrade and don't know how full the results will be.
- is balanced protector so much better than single ended portable amp??
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
- › What Are You Listening To Right Now? -New thread, new rules. Please... 37 seconds ago
- › Earwerkz Legend R vs Noble K10 Brief Review (bonus: 1964 V6S, V8;... 55 seconds ago
- › Marantz HD-DAC1 59 seconds ago
- › Oppo HA-1 Impressions Thread 3 minutes ago
- › Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite 3 minutes ago
- › Audio-GD NFB-15.32 Delivery & Impression Thread 4 minutes ago
- › Balanced IEM < $100 5 minutes ago
- › iBasso DX90. Dual Sabre, 1st page: Downloads, info & instructions-... 5 minutes ago
- › Shure SE846 Impressions Thread 6 minutes ago
- › FS: Wireworld Eclipse 6 Pure Copper HD800 Cable **Price Drop** 7 minutes ago
- › Lehmann Rhinelander by jdpark
- › RAZER Kraken Pro Circumaural Analog Gaming Headset - Black by kigisaru
- › AWEI ES-Q9 Super Bass Wooden Earphones Headphones Headsets Fiber... by Mellowship
- › Koss Pro4S Full Size Studio Headphones, Black with Silver Trim by Zombie_X
- › Shure SRH1540 Headphones by nicholars
- › Sony MDREX10LP/BLK In-Ear Headphones by originalgusbus
- › Shure Sound Isolating Earphone SE315 Hi-Definition Micro Speaker... by acain
- › Beyerdynamic DTX 102 iE In-Ear Headphones (Silver) by Zero Decibels
- › Hidizs AP100 Portable HiFi Audio Player in Black / Silver White by YoYo JoKeR
- › EarSonics SM3 Universal Fit IEM by heovuitinh
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)