Is the balanced protector w/balanced cable that much better, than an amp like ibasso or pico single ended? is it worth the extra $$? how much % wise would you say? I heard it is more "holographic". While I am intrigued, the simplicity of single ended, and cheaper cost, might be better.
Related Forum Threads
- New to amps...Help! Fiio E7 vs. Fiio E11 Last post on 1/26/13 at 7:09pm in Portable Headphone Amps
- Portable Amp For AKG K240 MKIi Last post on 8/12/12 at 8:24am in Portable Headphone Amps
- [LIST][OPINION] Amp recommendations for Fostex/Denon Headphones. Last post on 5/19/13 at 8:49pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Leckerton Audio UHA-3 Issues Last post on 7/16/12 at 8:26pm in Portable Headphone Amps
Diy Beginners Guide
Edited on 11/14/12
- Headphone ImpedanceEdited on 8/18/12
Somehow, the Ballad of Jed Clampett comes to mind, as I start to write this. You know, the Beverly Hillbillies. He was living his life, struck gold, and everything changed. That's kind of what...
Hi, Head-fiers. This is my first post as a newbie in the forum. I will give a short introduction of myself. I am 18 years old currently studying in high-school. I love headphones because...
Build Quality: For something hand built, the overall build quality is quite good. Of course, it isn’t nearly as perfect as something from a plastic molding machine but it is far ahead from the...
Disclaimer: My only other good cans to compare these to are Beyerdynamics DT770 (250). I fully realize this review will be biased because of that. So please keep that in mind. This review is my...
First Impressions: Well, when I first used these, I used them in the same place I'd expect myself to continue using these, on the go from place to place, and while at places outside the...
- Headphone Impedance
is balanced protector so much better than single ended portable amp??
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
It easily drives HD650's to sound much better than any of my single ended amps, including home amp and just does a great job with my other phones. To have a portable that can sound so good with my JH13's or most of my other balanced phones is a joy. Great music is brought to life.
i think that all the people that said no have not had the pleasure of listening to the protector. I owned both the protector and the Pico Slim, and ended up selling off the slim after 2 or 3 weeks having determined it was not as good as the protector.
Though one area in which the slim wins is size, it is miniscule, and the battery lasts about twice as long, around 60 hours compared to around 25 ish.
all of the comparisons were done with my jh-13's, with TWag recable, using my Audio GD dac19mk3
EDIT: percentages are hard to quantify when it comes to audio, so i will refrain from including one, 5% to me might be 30% to someone else, it all depends on perspective.
Edited by SoupRKnowva - 5/18/10 at 4:13am
I will also say yes. To me the Protector balanced is clearly better than my iBasso D10 with HiFlight topkit. Comparison done with JH13 with TWag cable and TWag converter to 1/8". This not to say that the Protector is better than every single ended amp on the market as I have naturally not heard everything but I thought the D10 was a very decent amp and it is clearly beaten. On the other hand the Protector cost a fair bit more than the D10 and to that you have to add whatever it takes for your phones to go balanced so it will be up to the individual to decide if it is worth it.
My 2 cents is that for a lot of people, the differences will not come to light on most run-of-the-mill recordings currently on the market. When you listen to reference masters either live performance or quality studio recordings conservatively mixed and mastered, the differences shine with the Protector Balanced setup. With Lady Gaga or virtually any other pop track, it may or may not be as apparent. Your system can only render what's put into it. Garbage in/garbage out.
Check out HDTracks.com or ElusiveDisc.com for some quality recordings and obtain at least a few of them. You'll be amazed how much crap is sold on CDs these days, in terms of quality, not to speak of the music itself.
momomo6789 had a protector and sold it.
Edited by dcpoor - 5/19/10 at 4:20pm
I despise the greater majority of the new crap out there, but what's really sad is when you find the few gems out of them, and then find it unbearable because of horrible sound mixing. I've noticed it more and more as I've upgraded my gear, and unfortunately, once you hone in on the more typical flaws you start hearing them regardless of your gear. What I need now is a good way to mask these inferior records, if relatively easy methods for such things exist...
I have tried most of the portable amps out there and I agree that balanced mode on Protector is better than most if not all of the portable amps out there. It is better but not "so much" better. I decided to keep both Protector and Pico Slim, I use Protector mainly at work and use Pico Slim during travel and taking subways.
One thing I did notice is the Protector is very depending on sources, I can tell the difference between iMod and iPhone as the source much easier than Pico Slim.
I have a regular Pico, Hornet M and Lisa lll. The problem is that I usually try to use the Lisa lll, but I am waiting on JH13s which which don't match with Lisa lll. So is it worth it to get a new amp on top of the pico and hornet that will currently drive the JH13s and then have to buy the balanced Twang as well. Seems kind of a steep upgrade and don't know how full the results will be.
- is balanced protector so much better than single ended portable amp??
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
- › ++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ i.e. Don't start a... 15 seconds ago
- › **Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread** 20 seconds ago
- › Ultrasone Edition 8 52 seconds ago
- › The JVC HA-S500.. Appreciation, fan thread. 56 seconds ago
- › Zero Audio ZH-DX200 Carbo Tenore and ZH-DX210 Carbo Basso IEM -... 1 minute ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 1 minute ago
- › Why do CDs sound better than loss less audio files? 1 minute ago
- › Crack;Bottlehead OTL 2 minutes ago
- › AKG K702 65th Anniversary Edition 2 minutes ago
- › Audio-Technica's Take on the Microdriver: ATH-CKN50 and CKN70 2 minutes ago
- › Sony MDR-NC40 Noise Canceling Headphone (Black) by UmustBKidn
- › Sennheiser Momentum by iSennheiser
- › [Apollo] IEM Upgrade Cable by Effect Audio by ClieOS
- › Audio Technica ATH-M40FS Precision StudioPhones by UmustBKidn
- › JVC Victor Head-band Portable Headphones | HA-S500-B Black... by daleb
- › Koss KSC75 Portable Stereophone Headphones by julian67
- › Astell & Kern AK120 by GSARider
- › Denon AH-D600 by johangrb
- › Sennheiser HD 250 Linear II by xEcuToR
- › Sennheiser CX150 Ear-Canal Phones by BadMoose
- › Syncing music and making playlists work with... by Currawong
- › Mac OS X Music Players - alternatives to iTunes by miceblue
- › STAX SR-007 (Omega II) ... A Review After 4... by Currawong
- › List of lossless and high-res music (FLAC,... by ffivaz
- › Beware of the following scams and people... by Currawong
- › Sennheiser 449 Mod Possibly 4 8 Mod by hernan604
- › 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Computer Audio) by joe
- › 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Portable... by joe
- › 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Desktop Audio) by joe
- › 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Headphone... by joe