Is the balanced protector w/balanced cable that much better, than an amp like ibasso or pico single ended? is it worth the extra $$? how much % wise would you say? I heard it is more "holographic". While I am intrigued, the simplicity of single ended, and cheaper cost, might be better.
Related Forum Threads
- New to amps...Help! Fiio E7 vs. Fiio E11 Last post on 1/27/14 at 10:17pm in Portable Headphone Amps
- Portable Amp For AKG K240 MKIi Last post on 8/12/12 at 8:24am in Portable Headphone Amps
- [LIST][OPINION] Amp recommendations for Fostex/Denon Headphones. Last post on 4/5/16 at 2:45am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Leckerton Audio UHA-3 Issues Last post on 7/16/12 at 8:26pm in Portable Headphone Amps
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs) (page 2)
Last edited: 11/29/16
- Diy Beginners GuideLast edited: 7/22/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
Introduction Sennheiser HD650 is one of the (seemingly) consecrated headphones made by Sennheiser as an upgrade (update?) to their well received model, HD600. HD600 has been...
I finally took the plunge and got these. It's amazing how TOTL IEMS can sound so different. Bass: Tight and full. Tip dependent. With the triple flanges thought my head was going to blow off. I...
The original iDSD Micro stood out from the competition as an all-in-one replacement for the most discerning listeners' setups. The original iDSD Micro delivered - I had one, but as I started to not...
Dynamic headphones by the primarily planar producing HiFiman, very good value(especially if you live in america). Detailed and strong treble, decent mids and midbass yet a little light on lower...
Confusingly, I think Sennheiser is rebranding the Momentum In-Ear (M2 IEi) headphones as HD 1 In-Ear – specifications and appearance are identical. I bought these when my Klipsch S4i started...
is balanced protector so much better than single ended portable amp??post #1 of 475/17/10 at 6:30pmThread Starter
Head-Fi's Best Sellerspost #2 of 475/17/10 at 6:30pmpost #3 of 475/17/10 at 6:37pmpost #4 of 475/17/10 at 9:34pmpost #5 of 475/17/10 at 9:45pm
It easily drives HD650's to sound much better than any of my single ended amps, including home amp and just does a great job with my other phones. To have a portable that can sound so good with my JH13's or most of my other balanced phones is a joy. Great music is brought to life.post #6 of 475/17/10 at 10:12pmpost #7 of 475/17/10 at 11:12pm
i think that all the people that said no have not had the pleasure of listening to the protector. I owned both the protector and the Pico Slim, and ended up selling off the slim after 2 or 3 weeks having determined it was not as good as the protector.
Though one area in which the slim wins is size, it is miniscule, and the battery lasts about twice as long, around 60 hours compared to around 25 ish.
all of the comparisons were done with my jh-13's, with TWag recable, using my Audio GD dac19mk3
EDIT: percentages are hard to quantify when it comes to audio, so i will refrain from including one, 5% to me might be 30% to someone else, it all depends on perspective.
Edited by SoupRKnowva - 5/18/10 at 4:13ampost #8 of 475/18/10 at 6:24am
I will also say yes. To me the Protector balanced is clearly better than my iBasso D10 with HiFlight topkit. Comparison done with JH13 with TWag cable and TWag converter to 1/8". This not to say that the Protector is better than every single ended amp on the market as I have naturally not heard everything but I thought the D10 was a very decent amp and it is clearly beaten. On the other hand the Protector cost a fair bit more than the D10 and to that you have to add whatever it takes for your phones to go balanced so it will be up to the individual to decide if it is worth it.post #9 of 475/18/10 at 7:01am
My 2 cents is that for a lot of people, the differences will not come to light on most run-of-the-mill recordings currently on the market. When you listen to reference masters either live performance or quality studio recordings conservatively mixed and mastered, the differences shine with the Protector Balanced setup. With Lady Gaga or virtually any other pop track, it may or may not be as apparent. Your system can only render what's put into it. Garbage in/garbage out.
Check out HDTracks.com or ElusiveDisc.com for some quality recordings and obtain at least a few of them. You'll be amazed how much crap is sold on CDs these days, in terms of quality, not to speak of the music itself.post #10 of 475/19/10 at 10:53ampost #11 of 475/19/10 at 11:20amQuote:
momomo6789 had a protector and sold it.
Edited by dcpoor - 5/19/10 at 4:20pmpost #12 of 475/19/10 at 11:37am
Quote:You'll be amazed how much crap is sold on CDs these days, in terms of quality, not to speak of the music itself.
I despise the greater majority of the new crap out there, but what's really sad is when you find the few gems out of them, and then find it unbearable because of horrible sound mixing. I've noticed it more and more as I've upgraded my gear, and unfortunately, once you hone in on the more typical flaws you start hearing them regardless of your gear. What I need now is a good way to mask these inferior records, if relatively easy methods for such things exist...post #13 of 475/19/10 at 11:50am
I have tried most of the portable amps out there and I agree that balanced mode on Protector is better than most if not all of the portable amps out there. It is better but not "so much" better. I decided to keep both Protector and Pico Slim, I use Protector mainly at work and use Pico Slim during travel and taking subways.
One thing I did notice is the Protector is very depending on sources, I can tell the difference between iMod and iPhone as the source much easier than Pico Slim.post #14 of 475/19/10 at 11:53am
I have a regular Pico, Hornet M and Lisa lll. The problem is that I usually try to use the Lisa lll, but I am waiting on JH13s which which don't match with Lisa lll. So is it worth it to get a new amp on top of the pico and hornet that will currently drive the JH13s and then have to buy the balanced Twang as well. Seems kind of a steep upgrade and don't know how full the results will be.
- is balanced protector so much better than single ended portable amp??
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
- Diy Beginners Guide
- › Bang & Olufsen BeoPlay H6 Discussion Thread 47 seconds ago
- › WTB: Balanced cable for Audioquest Nighthawk 1 minute ago
- › COMING SOON: Cayin N3 Hi-Res DAP with AKM4490 DAC, apt-X Bluetooth,... 2 minutes ago
- › Are you a console or PC gamer? 2 minutes ago
- › Rockbox Xduoo X3 2 minutes ago
- › New here, looking for headphone advice. 3 minutes ago
- › Review: 1MORE Triple Driver In-Ear Headphone with In-line... 3 minutes ago
- › World First! Massdrop x HiFIMAN Collaboration Announcement 3 minutes ago
- › Audio GD Master-11(Combination from Master 7 and Master 9) 3 minutes ago
- › Oppo HA-1 Impressions Thread 3 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser HD 650 Headphones by Dobrescu George
- › Shure SE846 Sound Isolating™ Earphone by anqallyt
- › iFi Audio micro iDSD by vapman
- › Massdrop x HIFIMAN HE350 by machielsste
- › Sennheiser Momentum In Ear (iOS version) - Black Chrome by HiWire
- › Fiio F1 Dynamic In-ear Monitors by Brooko
- › ENIGMAcoustics Dharma D1000 by geoffalter11
- › Emotiva Stealth DC-1 | Balanced 24/192 Fully Differential DAC by audiobean
- › Sennheiser HD 380 PRO Headphones by Dobrescu George
- › ADV.Sound EVO X by B9Scrambler
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear