Is the balanced protector w/balanced cable that much better, than an amp like ibasso or pico single ended? is it worth the extra $$? how much % wise would you say? I heard it is more "holographic". While I am intrigued, the simplicity of single ended, and cheaper cost, might be better.
Related Forum Threads
- New to amps...Help! Fiio E7 vs. Fiio E11 Last post on 1/27/14 at 10:17pm in Portable Headphone Amps
- Portable Amp For AKG K240 MKIi Last post on 8/12/12 at 8:24am in Portable Headphone Amps
- [LIST][OPINION] Amp recommendations for Fostex/Denon Headphones. Last post on 4/5/16 at 2:45am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Leckerton Audio UHA-3 Issues Last post on 7/16/12 at 8:26pm in Portable Headphone Amps
Diy Beginners Guide
Last edited: 7/22/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
Preamble: A group of engineers and designers has worked as OEM developers and producers for audio products, acting in the background, until 2012, when they decided to found a...
EDIFIER M710 On-ear headphones This is the third Edifier headphones I review and it conclude a very pleasant travel in Edifier Sound world. I discover that a brand mostly know for his...
I would like to Thank Venture Electronics (VE) and Lee @zhibli06 for providing me with review samples of Monk+, Asura 2.0, and Zen 2.0 in exchange for my honest opinion. The manufacturer...
I was a strong believer that the more expensive the headphones are the better they sound. After hearing Earbell (or Mrice) E100, and Venture Electronics Monk a short while ago, I proved that I was...
- Headphone Impedance
is balanced protector so much better than single ended portable amp??
It easily drives HD650's to sound much better than any of my single ended amps, including home amp and just does a great job with my other phones. To have a portable that can sound so good with my JH13's or most of my other balanced phones is a joy. Great music is brought to life.
i think that all the people that said no have not had the pleasure of listening to the protector. I owned both the protector and the Pico Slim, and ended up selling off the slim after 2 or 3 weeks having determined it was not as good as the protector.
Though one area in which the slim wins is size, it is miniscule, and the battery lasts about twice as long, around 60 hours compared to around 25 ish.
all of the comparisons were done with my jh-13's, with TWag recable, using my Audio GD dac19mk3
EDIT: percentages are hard to quantify when it comes to audio, so i will refrain from including one, 5% to me might be 30% to someone else, it all depends on perspective.
Edited by SoupRKnowva - 5/18/10 at 4:13am
I will also say yes. To me the Protector balanced is clearly better than my iBasso D10 with HiFlight topkit. Comparison done with JH13 with TWag cable and TWag converter to 1/8". This not to say that the Protector is better than every single ended amp on the market as I have naturally not heard everything but I thought the D10 was a very decent amp and it is clearly beaten. On the other hand the Protector cost a fair bit more than the D10 and to that you have to add whatever it takes for your phones to go balanced so it will be up to the individual to decide if it is worth it.
My 2 cents is that for a lot of people, the differences will not come to light on most run-of-the-mill recordings currently on the market. When you listen to reference masters either live performance or quality studio recordings conservatively mixed and mastered, the differences shine with the Protector Balanced setup. With Lady Gaga or virtually any other pop track, it may or may not be as apparent. Your system can only render what's put into it. Garbage in/garbage out.
Check out HDTracks.com or ElusiveDisc.com for some quality recordings and obtain at least a few of them. You'll be amazed how much crap is sold on CDs these days, in terms of quality, not to speak of the music itself.
momomo6789 had a protector and sold it.
Edited by dcpoor - 5/19/10 at 4:20pm
I despise the greater majority of the new crap out there, but what's really sad is when you find the few gems out of them, and then find it unbearable because of horrible sound mixing. I've noticed it more and more as I've upgraded my gear, and unfortunately, once you hone in on the more typical flaws you start hearing them regardless of your gear. What I need now is a good way to mask these inferior records, if relatively easy methods for such things exist...
I have tried most of the portable amps out there and I agree that balanced mode on Protector is better than most if not all of the portable amps out there. It is better but not "so much" better. I decided to keep both Protector and Pico Slim, I use Protector mainly at work and use Pico Slim during travel and taking subways.
One thing I did notice is the Protector is very depending on sources, I can tell the difference between iMod and iPhone as the source much easier than Pico Slim.
I have a regular Pico, Hornet M and Lisa lll. The problem is that I usually try to use the Lisa lll, but I am waiting on JH13s which which don't match with Lisa lll. So is it worth it to get a new amp on top of the pico and hornet that will currently drive the JH13s and then have to buy the balanced Twang as well. Seems kind of a steep upgrade and don't know how full the results will be.
- is balanced protector so much better than single ended portable amp??
- › Schiit Vali 2 25 seconds ago
- › Creative Aurvana Live! Review and Mods 50 seconds ago
- › Ergonomic perfection? Yes, at a price. The Linum "Super Balanced"... 1 minute ago
- › MrSpeakers Ether Impressions Thread 3 minutes ago
- › Schiit Lyr Tube Rollers 3 minutes ago
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (3/18/2016: MrSpeakers... 4 minutes ago
- › Huge Comparison of [almost] all the Best Bluetooth Headphones -... 4 minutes ago
- › Vali 2 tube rolling 4 minutes ago
- › What will the new DX200 look like? Dec 23, new images on page 1. 4 minutes ago
- › AKG's new K872? 5 minutes ago
- › AudioQuest DragonFly Red USB DAC, Preamp, Headphone Amp by Stereocilia
- › SHOZY Zero IEM by HiFiChris
- › Edifier M710 On-Ear Headphones with Mic and Volume Control - Red by Nymphonomaniac
- › HIFIMAN Edition X Over Ear Planar Magnetic Headphones by kendetamas
- › Venture Electronics (VE) Monk+/Monk Plus by twister6
- › Tingo TC200 Earbuds by zhouharvey
- › HiFiMAN HE-400 by WonWesleyChoi
- › AKG K712 Pro by WonWesleyChoi
- › Meze 99 Classics by FUYU
- › Zorloo ZuperDAC by Zelda
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse