Khaine1711 Hi I would be interested to read your Impression of the upgraded caps compared to the stock ones hows the amp sounding?
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Recommendations for exciting open back headphones on a budget Last post on 8/12/14 at 4:09pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- WTT - Sennheiser HD650 LNIB and K702 (austrian LNIB) for high end IEMS/Closed over ears Last post on 8/7/14 at 12:38am in Headphones for Sale / Trade
- Help!!!!! Icon Audio mkII Hp8 vs Woo Audio WA6 Last post on 7/25/14 at 3:38pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Sennheiser HD-380 pro Setup Question, to-do with current amplification Last post on 6/30/14 at 11:24am in Headphones (full-size)
- Vinyl Flat Can Opener + AudioSource Amp-100 Last post on 7/2/14 at 3:55pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
Beats, the biggest headphone brand in the world, selling more headphones than any other by a large margin and with a huge 60% market share in it's domestic market in the USA, has largely been the...
Though these are by no means perfect headphones, their price and excellent bass make them one of the best headphones you can buy for under $200. These headphones are very fun to listen to. They...
Since this is a IEM review I'll keep it short , I have no respect for IEMs ...I wish I could use headphones in the bed but since I cannot I have to resort to IEMs , not a IEM guy I picked...
I'm not much of a audiophile nor a reviewer just a regular audio enthusiast.. Apologies & correct me if I'm wrong.. Absolutely "StUnNeD" by these gems thought of sharing my...
Right have the pleasure of owning these for about 4 months. My Kit: Source: Foobar through Cambridge Audio Dacmagic Amp: Lehman Audio Blackcube Linear Headphones: Audio Technica ATH W...
Icon Audio HP8/MP 3 - Page 15
Gear mentioned in this thread:
I never thought highly of the sonics of the stock Icon. I liked the cosmetic (the copper plate!) but that's it. The amp in its stock form lacks details, and sounds constricted compared to the better amps I have. That is with Tungsol BGRP and some of the best nos 12AX7 .
With the caps upgraded it improved a lot - I'd say better than any tube rolling. It picks up small detail - like very small nuances in live recording better. The sound is more airy, and have a tiny bit of velvety tone - for the lack of better words.
That's the effect of the Jensen caps. I've never heard the one in the Icon before (Jensen yellow aluminum can) - but I've heard its bigger brothers many times (Jensen paper can and copper can). They do add something very seductive and palpable to the human voice - we usually call that "taste the lips" of the singer (female of course!).
All in all, if you're buying the Icon, the order of importance to improve the sound would be: Caps -> The 12AX7/ECC83 tube -> The pair of 6SN7.
Sorry to resurrect an old thread.
I'm thinking of getting these tube amps. Is it correct to say that it's quite important to request the Jensen caps upgrade and also valve upgrades (Treasure CV181’s in place of Shuguang 6SN7s’ and a gold pin JJ 12AX7/ECC83) for this amp to sound really good?
Well I'm perfectly happy with my non-upgraded caps but I have upgraded the tubes (matched pair full music 6SN7, gold lion 12ax7).
I would imagine the amp would be rather expensive if you upgraded it that much.
It cost me $20 to swap the coupling caps.
I considered the amp a waste of a thousand bucks before doing that upgrade, now I find it satisfying enough to keep it. As someone who has had to opportunity to hear the amp both before and after I can't stress enough how badly this amp needs a quality paper in oil cap in place of the cheap Solens that start out in there. The amp just doesn't have proper tone with the Solens, and the bass was completely devoid of any kind of weight or presence. I'm honestly quite amazed the K40Y caps made as big of an improvement as they did, it's a very pleasant little amp to listen to now and I feel no temptation to mod or change anything else.
If you are handy with a soldering iron it is a 5 minute job, one I can't recommend enough if you own this amp without the Jensen upgrade.
Yes, I have had a look and there is room, I've gone and ordered the required stuff to discharge old caps (and a soldering iron!). Once everything is ready to go I'll start taking pics to log it as it'll be my first DIY. I went for the Jenson caps - found a site selling them for about 1/2 what Icon wanted.
Icon price is a bit high since it includes labor cost (and they paid for return shipping). For their price, if you can DIY, you can even put Jensen paper cans instead of the copper can
Might as well try Mundorf and *cough* Vcap *cough*.
I remember reading some comparisons on caps on the Hp8, and the Vcap TFTF comes out on top (which it should considering the price) =p
The Russian K40Y9 I used are every bit as good as the Jensens and costs far less. They're a cult favorite in oil caps and sound lovely. Like I mentioned I got my pair for $20 and you should be able to do the same on eBay. The effect it had on the midrange was exactly what the amp needed. The weight and body improves a lot.
They might be 10x bigger than the Solens they replaced but they still fit just fine in my amp, there is actually quite a bit of breathing room on that side of the amp to fit bigger caps. I meant to take before and after photos when I had the cover off but ended up forgetting to do it once things got started.
Mundorf silver oils would probably suit this amp nicely as well.
edit: by the way good choice on the Gold Lion 12AX7 Spakka. I'm currently running a Sylvania 5751W triple mica black plate to lower the gain a bit, but the Gold Lion has it beat in resolution and balance which is impressive for a new production tube. That tube and a nice pair of NOS Sylvania 6SN7 is a good setup for the amp.
Edited by Xcalibur255 - 1/28/14 at 10:13am
- Icon Audio HP8/MP 3
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › The Fiio X3 Thread. 3 seconds ago
- › Havi B3 Pro-1 Impressions Thread 59 seconds ago
- › Schiit we'd like to see 2 minutes ago
- › MHDT Havana DAC 2 minutes ago
- › Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (Headphones, IEMs, Amps, DACs) 3 minutes ago
- › Band Name Game II 3 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread 3 minutes ago
- › Absolutely floored by my new amp - RSA Raptor w/ Tube Rolling... 3 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser HDVD800 Headphone Amplifier 4 minutes ago
- › Forza AudioWorks - The Appreciation Thread 4 minutes ago
- › Beats Solo 2.0 On-Ear Headphones (Red) by cb3723
- › Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO Closed Studio Headphones - 250 Ohms by MacroPower
- › Denon Urban Raver In-Ear Headphones, Blue (AH-C100BU) by MrTechAgent
- › Audio Technica ATH-CKN50 by bharathss
- › Audio Technica W5000 by CJ09
- › Sennheiser MOMENTUM On-Ear Headphone by lofoscopico
- › Philips SHE3680 Headphones, Wired by suman134
- › Philips SHE9850 In-Ear Headphones with Advanced Acoustics by suman134
- › audio-technica AIR Dinamic Headphone ATH-AD2000X (Japan Import) by Quazimoto
- › HiSoundAudio E212 by fleasbaby
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Exercise Headphones)