Khaine1711 Hi I would be interested to read your Impression of the upgraded caps compared to the stock ones hows the amp sounding?
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- More sonically balanced Sennheiser momentums with active noise cancelling for under $150!!! Last post on 9/19/14 at 6:04am in Headphones (full-size)
- Stereo amplifier for HD650 or Headphone amp? Last post on 9/18/14 at 12:43pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Are the Sennheiser HD650's worth another $100? Last post on Yesterday at 6:44 pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Senn HD650 as complimantry for Hifiman HE-500? Last post on 9/15/14 at 8:16pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Replacing HD-650's with IEM's for travelling Last post on 9/10/14 at 3:55pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
Ok we'll these were my first over ear headphones I fell in love with and there's plenty of reasons for that, I'll talk about the durability, comfort level and mind blowing bass first -...
My video review for those interested: The VS3S is a VSONIC’s latest earphone, and they have made a big claim. That is that these VS3S as well as their brother VSD3(at the current price of...
Introduction I got these headphones around the national holiday. These came out about 2 years after I had got my K701. I was first attracted by its classy design and colour. I thought I would...
I am one of the lucky ones to get a chance to be reviewer in the HE-400i "tour". HiFiMAN has intrigued me since the start of my Head-Fi journey. The HE-400 was the first headphone I purchased...
Note: Much of this comes from a review I wrote and posted elsewhere a month or so ago, but with some editing and organizational tweaks. I have wanted to do a full Alpha Dog review for a while,...
Icon Audio HP8/MP 3 - Page 15
Gear mentioned in this thread:
I never thought highly of the sonics of the stock Icon. I liked the cosmetic (the copper plate!) but that's it. The amp in its stock form lacks details, and sounds constricted compared to the better amps I have. That is with Tungsol BGRP and some of the best nos 12AX7 .
With the caps upgraded it improved a lot - I'd say better than any tube rolling. It picks up small detail - like very small nuances in live recording better. The sound is more airy, and have a tiny bit of velvety tone - for the lack of better words.
That's the effect of the Jensen caps. I've never heard the one in the Icon before (Jensen yellow aluminum can) - but I've heard its bigger brothers many times (Jensen paper can and copper can). They do add something very seductive and palpable to the human voice - we usually call that "taste the lips" of the singer (female of course!).
All in all, if you're buying the Icon, the order of importance to improve the sound would be: Caps -> The 12AX7/ECC83 tube -> The pair of 6SN7.
Sorry to resurrect an old thread.
I'm thinking of getting these tube amps. Is it correct to say that it's quite important to request the Jensen caps upgrade and also valve upgrades (Treasure CV181’s in place of Shuguang 6SN7s’ and a gold pin JJ 12AX7/ECC83) for this amp to sound really good?
Well I'm perfectly happy with my non-upgraded caps but I have upgraded the tubes (matched pair full music 6SN7, gold lion 12ax7).
I would imagine the amp would be rather expensive if you upgraded it that much.
It cost me $20 to swap the coupling caps.
I considered the amp a waste of a thousand bucks before doing that upgrade, now I find it satisfying enough to keep it. As someone who has had to opportunity to hear the amp both before and after I can't stress enough how badly this amp needs a quality paper in oil cap in place of the cheap Solens that start out in there. The amp just doesn't have proper tone with the Solens, and the bass was completely devoid of any kind of weight or presence. I'm honestly quite amazed the K40Y caps made as big of an improvement as they did, it's a very pleasant little amp to listen to now and I feel no temptation to mod or change anything else.
If you are handy with a soldering iron it is a 5 minute job, one I can't recommend enough if you own this amp without the Jensen upgrade.
Yes, I have had a look and there is room, I've gone and ordered the required stuff to discharge old caps (and a soldering iron!). Once everything is ready to go I'll start taking pics to log it as it'll be my first DIY. I went for the Jenson caps - found a site selling them for about 1/2 what Icon wanted.
Icon price is a bit high since it includes labor cost (and they paid for return shipping). For their price, if you can DIY, you can even put Jensen paper cans instead of the copper can
Might as well try Mundorf and *cough* Vcap *cough*.
I remember reading some comparisons on caps on the Hp8, and the Vcap TFTF comes out on top (which it should considering the price) =p
The Russian K40Y9 I used are every bit as good as the Jensens and costs far less. They're a cult favorite in oil caps and sound lovely. Like I mentioned I got my pair for $20 and you should be able to do the same on eBay. The effect it had on the midrange was exactly what the amp needed. The weight and body improves a lot.
They might be 10x bigger than the Solens they replaced but they still fit just fine in my amp, there is actually quite a bit of breathing room on that side of the amp to fit bigger caps. I meant to take before and after photos when I had the cover off but ended up forgetting to do it once things got started.
Mundorf silver oils would probably suit this amp nicely as well.
edit: by the way good choice on the Gold Lion 12AX7 Spakka. I'm currently running a Sylvania 5751W triple mica black plate to lower the gain a bit, but the Gold Lion has it beat in resolution and balance which is impressive for a new production tube. That tube and a nice pair of NOS Sylvania 6SN7 is a good setup for the amp.
Edited by Xcalibur255 - 1/28/14 at 10:13am
- Icon Audio HP8/MP 3
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › 2359glenn | studio 4 minutes ago
- › How to add DAC to my setup? 5 minutes ago
- › Beats Solo2 AKA "You're Dead To Me, Tyll" 8 minutes ago
- › Astro Mixamp + Amp help! 11 minutes ago
- › The FitEar CIEM Impressions Thread 12 minutes ago
- › I don't quite understand this whole "balanced output/input"deal,... 13 minutes ago
- › AKG K812 Pro 14 minutes ago
- › [EU] Hifiman HE-500 + Schiit Lyr + Schiit Bifrost UBER 14 minutes ago
- › Music City Meet #2 -- Fall 2014 -- Pics & Impressions Thread 16 minutes ago
- › Dunu DN-1000 - Dunu's hybrid IEM - Impressions thread 17 minutes ago
- › Sony MDR-XB500 40mm XB Diaphragm Driver Extra Bass Headphones by 12cc2
- › VSONIC VSD3S Black High Fidelity Professional Quality Stereo... by Tom22
- › AKG K 550 by QBoQBo
- › HiFiMAN HE-400i by smellyfungus
- › MrSpeakers Alpha Dog (T50RP Mod) by hans030390
- › Fostex TH 900 by archeryc
- › Garage1217 Project Polaris by Asr
- › Bose QuietComfort 20i Acoustic Noise Cancelling Headphones by dbdchc
- › Rega RP3 by Nhubley
- › Woo Audio 2 by Nhubley
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Exercise Headphones)