Recent Images In This Thread
- productAudio-gd Reference 5tagged by System, 7/26/12
- categoryDACstagged by System, 7/15/10
- brandPS Audiotagged by System, 10/20/10
- productPS Audio - PerfectWave DACtagged by System, 10/20/10
- productReference Seventagged by System, 7/26/12
- categorySound Cardstagged by System, 7/22/10
- productWyred4Sound µDACtagged by System, 7/26/12
Related Forum Threads
- Audio-GD Reference 5.2 (New Balanced 4x PCM1704UK DAC) Last post on 7/5/16 at 12:25pm in Dedicated Source Components
- Audio-gd Reference 7.1 vs Violectric v800 Last post on 9/4/12 at 7:38am in Dedicated Source Components
- Audio-gd NFB-17/NFB-17.2 Last post on 3/1/13 at 7:51pm in Dedicated Source Components
- Lite Dac-83 versus Audio GD Ref 7,8,9 Last post on 9/22/12 at 12:59pm in Dedicated Source Components
- To DAC or not to DAC Last post on 9/12/10 at 5:34pm in Dedicated Source Components
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs)
Last edited: 12/6/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs) 2Last edited: 12/16/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs) (page 2)Last edited: 11/29/16
Hi, I'm new to this head-fi community and this would be my first headphone review here at head-fi. Other headphones I've owned and listened to so far would be the Sennheiser hd239, px100, rha...
These headphones are made for listening to modern extreme genres of loud brickwalled poor-quality metal. They smoothen out spikiness and make drums sound so powerful and quick as if your head was...
Greetings, We all know it's coming, whether we like it or not. The wireless wave is upon us. Pretty much every major earphone manufacturer has a wireless option, and there are countless others...
Perfect Wave DAC Owner Unite - Page 65post #961 of 166812/27/12 at 1:44pm
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #962 of 16681/3/13 at 12:35am
Tested the USB vs Coax input on the PWD MK2 (2.2.0). I stuck with the Dynahi for this for its transparency.
Fed by a fully upgraded OR5, there's a very significant and immediately noticeable increase in SQ. Soundstage is larger, imaging more focused, bass is tighter but simultaneously more extended and prominent. There's also just more detail retrieval, more air around instruments. The treble is more liquid and extended without any harshness. USB sounds flat and somewhat smeared in comparison.
Microdynamics are also better with the OR5. Coax and I2S (HDMI) are both good, but in my setup Coax sounds a little better (more focused/clear) only because I have better cabling and Hynes regulators on the output.
The MK3 JKSPDIF also improves upon the USB input, most notably in the bass and soundstage. The change is not as great as with the OR5 ofcourse, but it's significant and is easily discerned.
Every manufacturer has their own zero-jitter ads, but so far, I've found none of them to be true. Maybe the super high-end DACs like the MSB or EMM DAC2X come closer to such claims...who knows.post #963 of 16681/3/13 at 3:46ampost #964 of 16681/3/13 at 9:04am
So the OR5 out performs the USB in the PWD2?
I wonder if I can go a step or two down from the OR5 and still beat the USB in the PWD2?
I'm looking at building the C.A.P.S v3 Zuma with this setup:
SOtM In-Line SATA Power Noise Filter: --> SOtM tX-USBexp Audiophile PCIe to USB Audio Card: --> SOtM mBPS-d2s Intelligent Battery Power Supply for the SOtM dX-USB-HD: --> SOtM dX-USB-HD Audiophile Asynchronous USB Interface for 24/192 Playback:post #965 of 16681/3/13 at 9:32ampost #966 of 16681/3/13 at 9:37ampost #967 of 16681/3/13 at 9:47ampost #968 of 16681/3/13 at 10:47ampost #969 of 16681/3/13 at 10:50am
USB > NativeX
Coax > NativeX (when using the outboard converters, the difference between Native and NativeX isn't as great as it is with USB)
I2S > Native (I2S does not work with NativeX)
NativeX improved the USB input for sure, but not always Coax. I thought the OR5 sounded slightly better sometimes without it and sometimes with it. More often, I preferred NativeX, so I just leave it on. With the MK3 JKSPDIF, it's up in the air, have to listen more to determine but so far I feel the same way. NativeX On.
I noticed NativeX homogenizes the sound more than the other modes. Kind of imbues its own sound onto everything to an extent.
Though it sounds like the differences were earth-shaking in the last post, just want to clarify that it's all in the realm of audiophilia. They are subtle in absolute terms. Also, the improvements, though significant, are less noticeable than they are on the Audio-GD Reference 7.1.
From further listening, I also found the I2S and Coax are both good. Tough to say which one is better, despite the Coax Hynes regulators and better cabling. I2S seems to have a little more bass/treble + slightly better soundstage layering. My feeling is with the Hynes on I2S and a solid cable, it would produce the best SQ.
Edited by Shahrose - 1/3/13 at 1:41pmpost #970 of 16681/3/13 at 11:00ampost #971 of 16681/3/13 at 11:01am
I don't have the bridge, but Steve from Empirical Audio said it's better than the USB input. (Some others, including purrin, I know agree)
According to comparisons done on other fora, it's still not as good as the OR5, but the difference may not be worth the extra cost at that point.post #972 of 16681/3/13 at 11:02ampost #973 of 16681/3/13 at 11:04ampost #974 of 16681/3/13 at 11:04ampost #975 of 16681/3/13 at 11:23am
I would recommend against the Bridge if you need gapless. It can't play gapless unless you use the eLyric software, which is a POS. I'm currently using coax from the PC.
- Perfect Wave DAC Owner Unite
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs) 2
- › Noble Audio - Introducing KAISER ENCORE and SAGE 24 seconds ago
- › Colorfly C3 Discussion Thread 1 minute ago
- › COMING SOON: Cayin N3 Hi-Res DAP with AKM4490 DAC, apt-X Bluetooth,... 1 minute ago
- › Review: 1MORE Triple Driver In-Ear Headphone with In-line... 3 minutes ago
- › Obscure Chinese DAPs 4 minutes ago
- › ALL WORLD【सलूशन】※SOLUTION ※ Vashikaran ※ +919829866507 ※ Black... 4 minutes ago
- › intercaste love @@+91-9914185138@@ marriage problem solutions baba ji 6 minutes ago
- › Shanling M1: An iPod Nano Competitor / DAP || USB DAC || USB... 7 minutes ago
- › +91-9914185138 online love problem solutions baba ji England Italy 8 minutes ago
- › New hybrid amp by Little Dot, I+ 8 minutes ago
- › TWag V4 Litz ciem replacement cable by tex thai
- › Sennheiser PX 95 Versatile On-Ear Headphones by Varun Shankar
- › Panasonic RP-HT460E-K by PETEBULL
- › SoundPEATS Wireless Earbuds, True Wireless Stereo Bluetooth 4.2... by B9Scrambler
- › Soundmagic E10BT by msturg29
- › Brainwavz BLU-Delta Bluetooth Earbud Wireless Noise Isolating... by msturg29
- › 1MORE iBFree Bluetooth In-Ear Headphones by msturg29
- › Avantree Clari Air by msturg29
- › Wireless Bluetooth Earbuds Stereo Headphones, Ghostek Silencer... by msturg29
- › 1MORE MK802 Bluetooth Wireless Over-Ear Headphones with Apple iOS... by Hisoundfi
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear