Yikes is correct, my mistake not clarify it. It is double boxed.
Recent Images In This Thread
- productAudio-gd Reference 5tagged by System, 7/26/12
- categoryDACstagged by System, 7/15/10
- brandPS Audiotagged by System, 10/20/10
- productPS Audio - PerfectWave DACtagged by System, 10/20/10
- productReference Seventagged by System, 7/26/12
- categorySound Cardstagged by System, 7/22/10
- productWyred4Sound µDACtagged by System, 7/26/12
Related Forum Threads
- Audio-GD Reference 5.2 (New Balanced 4x PCM1704UK DAC) Last post on 7/5/16 at 12:25pm in Dedicated Source Components
- Audio-gd Reference 7.1 vs Violectric v800 Last post on 9/4/12 at 7:38am in Dedicated Source Components
- Audio-gd NFB-17/NFB-17.2 Last post on 3/1/13 at 7:51pm in Dedicated Source Components
- Lite Dac-83 versus Audio GD Ref 7,8,9 Last post on 9/22/12 at 12:59pm in Dedicated Source Components
- To DAC or not to DAC Last post on 9/12/10 at 5:34pm in Dedicated Source Components
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs)
Last edited: 12/6/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs) 2Last edited: 12/16/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs) (page 2)Last edited: 11/29/16
These are *fantastic* for the price. Compared side by side to some old Sennheiser MX500s, that cost at least 4x as much, the Monk+ absolutely wipes the floor - they are hugely superior. Warm...
Acknowledgment Thanks, @Andykong at Cayin, and @Takeanidea for organizing the UK wing of the worldwide extravaganza of i5 tour. It is always an honour to work with great companies and dear...
Introductory word They say that once you go black.... yeah. This is quite self-explanatory. And behold, black iFi Audio product emerged. I can only say - finally. Cheers to 'em English folks....
Company 64 Audio (former 1964 Ears) is a well-known maker of top-level multidriver IEMs. They are offering a big range of models, but the most attractive feature of their earphones is APEX...
In my self-imposed haughtiness and superiority, I have always told Alfred and Martin that I will be the high-end reviewer for this blog, and that they should be responsible for more budget...
Perfect Wave DAC Owner Unite - Page 7post #91 of 166610/20/10 at 7:55amThread Starter
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #92 of 166610/20/10 at 11:03am
All right, thanks for both you Yikes and jc9394.
Yikes (no pun intended), when freight is considered this DAC costs almost as much as 1.5 times of the Audio-gd's Reference 7, another DAC that is in my short list.post #93 of 166610/20/10 at 11:13amThread StarterQuote:
That much more there? Did you checked Audiogon.com? They are a little more than Ref 7 when I brought mine.post #94 of 166610/20/10 at 11:25ampost #95 of 166610/20/10 at 12:40pmQuote:
With the current PS Audio DAC trade-in program, you should be able to get the PWD for $1999. If you don't have a DAC to trade in, there are authorized vendors that are selling it for substantially less than $2999.post #96 of 166610/20/10 at 12:51pmQuote:
Unless a restrained sound and artificial smoothness is your cup of tea, I'd take the Reference 7 off your short list IMO. I heard it compared to an older Theta Gen Va and I greatly preferred the Theta.post #97 of 166610/20/10 at 1:05pmQuote:
I don't have as negative an impression of the Ref 7, but the above does articulate very well some of my feelings about the Ref 7 (i.e., restrained and smooth). I prefer the PWD to the Ref 7.
post #98 of 166610/20/10 at 1:13pm
Do you know if your REF-7 uses DSP-1 V4 or V5 module?
I sold my Northstar M192 MKII, and now I´m looking for a new dac.
Some dac in my list: Reference 7, Reference 8 (Audio-GD), PWD, ECD-1 (Electrocompaniet).
My stereo system is: pre and power Cambridge Audio (840E / 840W), Paradigm Signature S6 and a computer + hiface stock
Thank you!post #99 of 166610/20/10 at 1:20pm
It's the loaner Ref 7 and I believe it is NOT using the v5 module. I also have a hard time believing that makes much of a difference, but I have not compared the modules.post #100 of 166610/20/10 at 2:32pmpost #101 of 166610/20/10 at 5:15pmThread StarterQuote:
I used to own a PWT but sold it after I dug my Sony S7700 out of cellar. The PWT using IS2 to PWD is better but not $2000 better so I sold it and use S7700 and perfectly happy with it.post #102 of 166610/20/10 at 5:50pmQuote:
Believe it. Kingwa himself even said the difference was significant and he never says stuff like that.
But I haven't heard the v4 module that was in there so I don't know how close that one is to v5. I had v2 or v3.
Edited by IPodPJ - 10/20/10 at 5:53pmpost #103 of 166610/20/10 at 7:55pmQuote:
Nah, I'm not convinced.
Edit: regardless, this is a PWD thread. The rest of the source forum is dedicated to audio-gd, so let's get back on topic.
Edited by The Monkey - 10/20/10 at 7:57pmpost #104 of 166610/20/10 at 10:03pmQuote:
Yeah, when freight and duties are taken into account and when you live in South East Asia and when your local PS Audio distributor is sticking stubbornly to the MSRP, things become much more complicated.
Thanks for the Agon suggestion, that will be where I look first when the time comes.
Thanks! I will inquire with my local distributor about this program. Do they accept all DACs? I really don't want to trade in my beloved γ2 though if I can. I hope these vendors want to ship internationally.
Anyway, looking forward to your final impressions in the loaner program.
Thanks for your impressions, I will definitely keep that in mind. Artificial smoothness can be really annoying as the Phonitor/Auditor I auditioned back then had that symptoms where it glazes the treble in all of your music.
post #105 of 166610/20/10 at 10:47pm
I'm possibly looking at the uber cheap Sony bdp-s370 as a transport using a hdmi de-embedder to pull out digital signal to optical in to the PWD. Or, maybe just forgetting the notion and holding out for a used xa5400es; in which case I think the xa5400 would just go straight into the pre- (or maybe go into the dac?).
Having a hard time justifying either decision though heh.
- Perfect Wave DAC Owner Unite
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs) 2
- › WA22 let's roll some tubes (Done Mod, Burnning-in) 7 seconds ago
- › LZ-A4 Impressions and Discussion Thread 13 seconds ago
- › Empire Ears ADEL - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz) 41 seconds ago
- › What a long, strange trip it's been -- (Robert Hunter) 1 minute ago
- › What can I use to replace headphone's mesh? 2 minutes ago
- › Campfire Audio Vega (and Dorado and Lyra II) - Head-Fi TV 2 minutes ago
- › The Official Sony MDR-Z1R Flagship Headphone Thread (Live From IFA... 2 minutes ago
- › DX200 Details, features and specifications 1st page. 1-17-2017 Now... 3 minutes ago
- › Upcoming DAP from xDuoo - the X10! 6 minutes ago
- › What Are You Listening To Right Now? -New thread, new rules. Please... 6 minutes ago
- › Venture Electronics (VE) Monk+/Monk Plus by spronkey
- › Cayin i5 by glassmonkey
- › iFi Audio micro iDSD by 00lunar
- › 64 Audio U12 Universal In-Ear Monitor by cleg
- › qdc Balanced armature type (BA type) 3SH （QDC-4024） by prismstorm
- › Sangdo Headset Mic for Sony MH EX300AP L36H L36I C6603 LT26II LT28H... by Griffith
- › Denon AH-D600 by theminstrel
- › Sennheiser HD 598 by theminstrel
- › Burson Audio Cable+ by markbrauer
- › Audio-Technica ATH-M50x by theminstrel
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear